1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Is this game legit?

Discussion in 'Technology Help' started by castlewars, Jun 16, 2011.

1. castlewars

castlewars Chesnaught=Bowser

When I was about seven years old, I got Super Mario Advance 4: SMB3. I was expecting it to be good, but every time I turn off the GBA, the next time I turn it on, it says something like this (forcing me to beat the game only in 1 go):

Your save file has been corrupted.
    • File 1: OK
    • File 2: OK
    • File 3: OK

As this normally happens with hacked games and illegit games, is my game illegit?

2. PokemonTrainerKaden

PokemonTrainerKaden Well-Known Member

Was it a new or used game? If it was used when you got it then the previous owner may have done something to it or just played it to where the battery ran dry. If it was new than im not sure because coming out of a new box it should be fine as long as you got it at a store and not off of Ebay.

3. castlewars

I think I got the game off eBay, because I was told that 'my Super Mario game turned up'.

4. PokemonTrainerKaden

Then im sorry to say that you have bought yourself a hacked game. If you still know the persons name and he is still on Ebay you can report the user and the problem can be solved.

5. castlewars

Can the internal battery have also run dry? I think that but then I got the game when it had flourished in its time.

6. PokemonTrainerKaden

It's possible. I would type in the game and the system and internal battery and see what it says.

7. Aegon

Aegon Well-Known Member

Make sure that it has the Seal of Quality, and that the cartridge colour looks like other official ones. It's probably an illegitimate copy, but just be certain.

8. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

Game Boy Advance game don't have an internal battery to save the game but rather they save by flash.

9. Aegon

Aegon Well-Known Member

Ruby's and Sapphire's internal batteries can run out, for sure. I'm not certain about other GBA games, but your point is invalid, anyway.

10. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

that was only for the clock. The GBA game don't use battery to save the game so my point isn't invalid it is you lots giving bad advice by giving out the wrong information.

11. pokesaurus

pokesaurus Amour is life

I have a GBA game, Jurassic Park 3: Park Builder, and it won't let me save it, so I guess some games do. And I don't think your game even exists...

12. castlewars

My game does exist. It's Super Mario Bros. 3. And besides, it lets me save it, it's got the Seal of Approval (although it could still be a bootleg) and it only erases my progress once I reload the game.

There's another question concerning legitimacy. When I once started playing it, Files 2 and 3 had glitchy symbols where your progress should be, and upon loading File 1, the letter from Bowser appears (saying he kidnapped the princess when 'you were wandering around'), then I went to a world called 'World 0' and the screen just scrolled up and down for 45 seconds or so before crashing. I rebooted it and the symbols reappeared, and the game crashed the instant I loaded up the same file. It's happened to me twice. It's gone, but does that concern legitimacy?

13. Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  14. castlewars

15. GetOutOfBox

GetOutOfBox Original Series Fan

It's likely a bootleg game, but it could also be that the flash memory used to contain the save data and misc temp data could have died. Flash memory has a pretty short lifespan, since due to the mechanism behind it's operation, it "wears out" after a certain amount of data write cycles are made. It will stay mostly pristine if it's never used (since it's lifespan is determined by the amount of times data is written to it), but if it's heavily used it could die any time between a year and a few years.

Either way, it's more likely that the game is a bootleg version (meaning that a 3rd party company took a ROM off of the net and "burned" it to one of their own blank cartridges). It's actually better to buy used gameboy games on eBay, rather than from companies on Amazon, as it is not economically practical for a single person to sell bootleg games, as the blank cartridges are costly when not bought in bulk. A blank cartridge set (1 cartridge, connector cord, etc) for consumers can cost between $60 and $90, much more than a single game, hence the impracticality of a single person making and selling their own bootlegs.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  16. castlewars

It struck me when I turned it on for the second time.

17. GetOutOfBox

It depends on quite a few factors. What is the quality of the flash media storage used for the game cartridges? How old is the game already? How frequently was it used by it's previous owner? Has it been subjected to any kind of harmful environmental factors? Etc, etc. Yes, I get your point that most GBA cartridges' flash memory lasts quite a while, but all the same, it is a possibility that the flash memory was already of poor quality. Since we don't possess the technical specs for the cartridges from that batch, we can never know.

True, but you can easily tell how many the seller has for sale. If they only have one or two, than it's likely that they are simply reselling their own legitimate games. If they have 30 or some other strangely large number, than yes, they're likely reselling bootleg copies. Either way, due to the rise of emulators on multiple platforms and the age of the GBA, bootleg GBA games aren't a very marketable item right now, and hence are not as common as they used to be.

18. pokemon player

pokemon player Sylveon, tho.

Mine used to be like that but then I left it for a couple of years. When I found it again, it worked perfectly. I can't say I know what happened...

19. GetOutOfBox

Good quality flashdrives can last approximately 100 000 write cycles. That's because they're advertised as storage devices and people expect reliability from them. Flash memory in non-storage devices such as game cartridges however, may be of a much lower quality than that of a USB flashdrive.

20. castlewars

I also have another game (136-in-1) with illegit games. Mods beware: this is going to be a huge post, so don't infract me.
    These are all 136 games in order:

• Pokemon Ruby
    • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    • Scooby Doo 3: Mystery Mayhem
    • Super Mario Advance 2
    • Super Mario Bros.
    • Zippy Race
    • World Cup Soccer (not the same as Soccer)
    • Lifeforce
    • Duck Tales
    • Bubble Bobble
    • Prince of Persia
    • Adventure Island
    • Ninja Kage
    • Tetris
    • Ms. Pac-man
    • Battle City
    • Donkey Kong 2
    • Dr. Mario
    • Bomberman
    • Mickey Mouse
    • Bomb Jack
    • Lode Runner 2
    • Elevator Action
    • Lunar Pool
    • Twinbee
    • Field Combat
    • Thexder
    • Rabbit & Rope (Japanese equivalent of Mappy)
    • Clu Clu Land
    • Pro Wrestling
    • Wrecking Crew
    • Popeye no Eigo Asobi
    • Pac-man
    • Othello
    • Nuts & Milk
    • Front Line
    • Balloon Mario (Japan-only Mario version of Balloon Fight)
    • Bomb Sweeper
    • Raid on Bungeling Bay
    • Exerion
    • 10-Yard Fight
    • Donkey Kong 3
    • Spoon
    • Spelunker
    • Spartan-X
    • Sonic-Mario (Japan-only Sonic-based version of Super Mario Bros.)
    • Soccer
    • Battle Wings
    • Donkey Kong
    • Mach Rider
    • Seacross
    • Excitebike
    • Pooyan
    • Spy vs Spy
    • Challenger
    • Baltron
    • 3D-Block
    • Choplifter
    • Shougi Hiden
    • Flappy
    • NES Pinball
    • Sky-Destroyer
    • Karateka
    • Star Force
    • Stargate
    • Tennis
    • Balloon Fight
    • Baseball
    • Battle City 2
    • Magmax
    • Binary Land
    • Star Soldier (based off Star Force)
    • Bird Week
    • M.U.S.C.L.E
    • Yproject Mario Runner (Japan-only Mario-based version of Lode Runner)
    • Brush Roller
    • Bubble Dig Dug (Japan-only Bubble Bobble version of Dig Dug)
    • Warehn 18
    • Bomber Mario (Japan-only Mario version of Bomberman)
    • Burger Time
    • Crack 'n Pop
    • Night Arrow (Japan-only remake of Galaxian)
    • Onyanko Town
    • Anipool
    • Arkanoid
    • Astro-Robo Sasa
    • Pac Pac Land (Japan-only Pac-man based version of Clu Clu Land)
    • Dough Boy
    • Lode Runner
    • Exed Exes
    • Geimos
    • Gyrooine
    • Hydlide
    • Robot-Gyro
    • Route-16
    • Slalom
    • 4 classic card games (Omnibus Hearts, Fan Tan, Chinese Rummy and Clock)
    • Ninja JaJamaru Kun
    • Mario Bros. Mappy (Japan-only Mario-based version of Mappy)
    • Mario Bros.
    • Pyramid
    • Golf
    • Gomoku Narabe
    • Super Arabian
    • Ice Climber
    • Ikki
    • Formation-Z
    • Macross
    • Devil World
    • Popeye
    • Urban-Champion
    • F-1-Race
    • Hogans Alley
    • Lunar Ball (Japanse name for Lunar Pool)
    • Millipede
    • Road-Fighter
    • Circus Charlie
    • Antarctic Adventure
    • Joust
    • Mappy
    • Space Invaders
    • Galaxian
    • Galaga
    • Cowellry
    • Dig-Dug
    • Donald Magic (Japanese remake of Burger Time)
    • 4-Man Mahjong
    • Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Maria Siss. (Japanese remake of Mario Bros.)
    • Mario & Luigi (not the RPG series, but another Japanese remake of Nuts & Milk)
    • Mahjong
    • Dora Bros. (Japanese remake of Mario Bros.)
    • Ninja Kun
    • Snake Game
    • Yie Ar Kung Fu

The first four are definite illegit. They always delete their save file. Why is this?