• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is this real or fake???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to tell you but that's fake. The code on the bottom-right corner of the sticker reads "AGB-BPEE-USA".

How much was it? I got mine brand new for £40. The fake one only cost eight.

It's sad: you have to pay alot more than it's worth for the real thing :(

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Looks real to me. Take it to a gameshop and ask there.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
The background looks different to me. I think it might be fake. (I would know--I have a real Emerald.)

BCVM22

is emerald kinda rare or something?

Not in the traditional sense. It was given a full production run and then some. Copies were not at all difficult to find when the product was current.

That last part is the catch - Emerald, like all of the Generation III titles, is long out of print. Combine that with its extreme popularity during its run and the relative ease of pirating software these days and you get a current secondary market that is comprised largely of counterfeit merchandise. What isn't fake is being sold at a considerable markup from the game's original pricing. All of these combine to make the current effort of trying to find a Generation III game one best not undertaken.

Dangertrout

if you look in the bottom of the cart, at the circuit board, just above the contacts you should see "©2002 Nintendo"
It's a little tricky to see, but just tilt it around until you can make out if and what it says there. (you don't have to take apart the cartridge, it's visible without damaging your game)

SeiyruKazohu

I can haz poffin?
It looks real to me. I also have an Emerald. I just need to find where the little bugger went to, it's probably hiding, not wanting to have ANOTHER new save file created on it. I've played that game so much I can't believe I have ran it dead yet. It's my favorite Pokemon game.

abdulmuhsee

Hard to tell from the picture. The first one I got was fake, and the easiest way to tell is to see if the game actually saves or not. If you save it, turn it off, then have to start a new game when you turn it back on, it's fake.

The easiest way to tell is via the label. If the label is shiny, it's most likely real, but if the label is similar, but not shiny, it's most likely fake. Both the real and fake cartridges will have transparent green casing, though the casing on the fake one is usually lighter in color.

Regardless, just see if the game actually saves. You can also put a 4th Gen game into the DS slot and see if you have the option to "Transfer from Emerald." That should be simple enough.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I think that's enough answers now on if it is real or fake. =p If you cannot see stuff that people say ought to be there then it's fake. (I'll add that if it ever says someone upon loading about the battery or save file being okay on a blue screen you can take it as fake too. What abdulmuhsee says is also a good test; see if it connects to any legit 4th gen games as if it isn't nothing will work and the save file of the Emerald possibly wiped for your trouble too).

Anyways, closed.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
if you look in the bottom of the cart, at the circuit board, just above the contacts you should see "©2002 Nintendo"
It's a little tricky to see, but just tilt it around until you can make out if and what it says there. (you don't have to take apart the cartridge, it's visible without damaging your game)
This has a Clear shot of it: https://plus.google.com/u/0/110964292625474469836/posts/NrQGohMiMnx

It's a real Cart of Sapphire which I've replaced the battery on. I had it for years, when fakes where harder to find. The battery should be over the right hand chip. You are seeing it as if it was Label side up and of course the bottom of the PCB is the contacts.

Hard to tell from the picture. The first one I got was fake, and the easiest way to tell is to see if the game actually saves or not. If you save it, turn it off, then have to start a new game when you turn it back on, it's fake.

The easiest way to tell is via the label. If the label is shiny, it's most likely real, but if the label is similar, but not shiny, it's most likely fake. Both the real and fake cartridges will have transparent green casing, though the casing on the fake one is usually lighter in color.

Regardless, just see if the game actually saves. You can also put a 4th Gen game into the DS slot and see if you have the option to "Transfer from Emerald." That should be simple enough.

I've got to add a few things.. the back of the GBA Case should read AGB-002, like all the GBA games do. I've seen a fake with the wrong code.

Status
Not open for further replies.