• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is todays youth too obsessed with social networking?

I think its more of a negative, actually. It has reinforced the idea that short-hand speaking is fine, and spelling and grammar don't really matter "becuz iz just da intrnet." However, when they`re making these huge grammar mistakes on tests (mixing up "your" with "you're" like they do online), it doesn't even sink in that they're wrong. That's what really bothers me about it. :/

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Armorandonomon said:
It has reinforced the idea that short-hand speaking is fine,
I think technology has done this in general. In my experience at least, the same people did this in messengers, text messages (understandable scenario), and while passing notes sometimes.

Of course it doesn't mean it's not bad still.

ThePainBringer said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_E0vfP79yE&feature=related
Wow. Amazing.

Last edited:

scarecrow_stitches

blissfully dead
Yes.

It's quite sad, really.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Of course. But the success of them only leads to more and more being created. Its a never ending cycle.

I_Lost_The_Game

Scyther > Scizor
Here's why I do and don't agree with this topic:

- I've had multiple ex-online-girlfriends
- Texting is ridiculous
- Computers are just plain more fun than most egotistical moronic people

M4zz

Banned
- Computers are just plain more fun than most egotistical moronic people
Win.

Scientists that study recent and upcoming addictions have concluded that social networking sites, such as facebook or twitter can be concidered addictions due to the fact that it takes from users life, can cause poor grammar, such as chatspeak, and some users cant get enough of it and spend as much time on it as possible. I for one agree with this statement, as I have seen proof of it within my younger sister. at the age of 11, she created a fake age just so she could acsess facebook. Two years later, she will not exit off of facebook, worrying that she will miss a single notification. I too use facebook, but not at such an extent. Now that facebookhas begun adding flash games, some users may not see the day of light againif they have things their own way.
Onto chatspeak; I seriously hate this. I understand with quick notes and texting, but not for simple three letter words, such as 'you'. Its two extra letters for christsakes. Quit putting in a half-*** effort in and actually try at life. I believe that it will eventually get to the point of ruining the spelling and grammar of millions of today's youth. I just dont get it.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Anything can be an addiction. Doesn't take a scientist to tell you what's one and what's not.

M4zz

Banned
Anything can be an addiction. Doesn't take a scientist to tell you what's one and what's not.

Glad to know it took you that long to figure that out.

Of course. But the success of them only leads to more and more being created. Its a never ending cycle.

Not true. Lawsuits could possibly erradicate them due to loss of outside connections and proof that they are addictive. And stricter rules from concerned parents could also break this cycle a bit. Making it gradual, not never ending. And if the users had any self control, it wouldnt happen.

uhhhhh

Too sweet
Yes. They obviously do. Most of the youth just don't have the discipline to restrain themselves from using FB too much which leads to bad effects.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Glad to know it took you that long to figure that out.
.. I don't get it.

M4zz

Banned
.. I don't get it.

Do you need a scientist to show you the difference between a rock and a tree? No, of course not. And nor did I expect anyone to need a scientist to proove any obsession is not good for you. Sarcasm caught. It was just a back-up to my statement. That it has been prooven, but we see evidence of it everywhere without being told anyways.

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
Its not bad if you dont use it too much. I use my facebook to play farmville and twitter to follow sportsnation but thats it.

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
Its not bad if you dont use it too much. I use my facebook to play farmville and twitter to follow sportsnation but thats it.

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
depends. and i can say my country is TOTALLY obsess with it and it is scary to watch...

Waldorf

ungrateful
Well, in what sense are we talking about obsession with social networks? You could say that American youth is experiencing a strong individualistic current of self-expression today. It's no longer enough to live comfortably, but rather to live excessively; the adolescent dream of fame isn't a new concept, but the notion that anyone can be famous for fifteen minutes on the Internet is. Anyone can be an Internet Superstar. Everyone wants to turn their name and identity into a brand, a unique 'thing', and there is no better avenue for such people than Twitter accounts, Facebook accounts, last.fm accounts, blogs, etc.

This self-expression trend among wealthy young people is part of the current cultural zeitgeist in many developed nations, though. And it's always been there, the Internet has just provided the means for it to be much more pronounced. The real problems with social networking, or at least what most people seem to be worried about, are a.) That the concept of what is and should be private is rapidly deteriorating, and b.) That we are all falling prey to social alienation.

Regarding the first problem, it's an interesting issue, because companies like Facebook certainly want you to share increasingly more personal details with everyone; they thrive on exposition and interconnectedness, and their ultimate dream is for everyone to be connected to everyone all the time, so that you can observe, judge and comment on the most mundane minutiae of everyone's day-by-day. Here's an excerpt from "The Face of Facebook" by José Antonio Vargas, published in The New Yorker:

[Mark] Zuckerberg and I talked about this the first time I signed up for Facebook, in September, 2006. Users are asked to check a box to indicate whether they’re interested in men or in women. I told Zuckerberg that it took me a few hours to decide which box to check. If I said on Facebook that I’m a man interested in men, all my Facebook friends, including relatives, co-workers, sources—some of whom might not approve of homosexuality—would see it.

“So what did you end up doing?” Zuckerberg asked.

“I put men.”

“That’s interesting. No one has done a study on this, as far as I can tell, but I think Facebook might be the first place where a large number of people have come out,” he said. “We didn’t create that—society was generally ready for that.” He went on, “I think this is just part of the general trend that we talked about, about society being more open, and I think that’s good.”

Then I told Zuckerberg that, two weeks later, I removed the check, and left the boxes blank. A couple of relatives who were Facebook friends had asked about my sexuality and, at that time, at least, I didn’t want all my professional sources to know that I am gay.

“Is it still out?” Zuckerberg asked.

“Yeah, it’s still out.”

He responded with a flat “Huh,” dropped his shoulders, and stared at me, looking genuinely concerned and somewhat puzzled. Facebook had asked me to publish a personal detail that I was not ready to share.

The real question here is whether we're experiencing a change in what society deems as private/public or we're simply being driven by corporations to reveal all the skeletons in our closet. [Personally, my Facebook profile doesn't list that I'm interested in men despite the fact that I'm gay, because I also do not want everyone who can see my account to know about my sexuality.] One could argue that it's because we're becoming more distant, and therefore more comfortable with over-expression; it's one thing to check or uncheck a box on your profile and it's another to tell people something personal in face-to-face conversation. And that leads to another problem: alienation.

The idea is that social networks have substituted actual social contact; it's even more impersonal than the telephone. We can now go shopping, order food, make friends, or become romantically involved over the Internet, never meeting anyone, never leaving our homes and, some would argue, never actually doing anything. Adults will say: "You have lost your humanity", and youths will reply: "Did we ever have a humanity?"

And it can be argued that social networking and online busywork are all natural developments of technology and human society; they are certainly more convenient. But on a personal level I cannot shake off the feeling that we are going in a foul direction with this philosophy, in terms of physical and mental health, in terms of contributing to this generation's landmark illnesses. Philosophically speaking, you can say that meeting someone in cooking class and then going out to a movie together is no more real than private messaging someone over an Internet forum and then changing your Facebook status to "In A Relationship", but on a practical level, I can't be comfortable with that conclusion.

Penguinist Trainer

Is today's youth too obsessed with social networking? the answer is absolutely. i do not believe it has anything to do with addiction or any other such excuse. Technology is just making social networking easier and more effortless.

The real problem with social networking is that as a society, we encourage this behavior and force it upon our kids at a young age.

For example, when I was a kid, I was actually held back a grade because I wasn't socializing with other children. It didn't matter that I was smarter than everyone or would rather read a book than play with other kids. I was kept back a grade because I didn't play with others.

For years, our elders push us into becoming social creatures through recess and extracurricular activities. Technology unfortunately has surpassed these social experiments.

It is no surprise that kids are more tech savvy than adults. I can't count the number of kids I see these days with cell phones. When I was a kid, I had to use a pay phone when I needed a ride home.

Technology is making it easier for kids to socialize while taking off alot of the pressure and awkwardness. Not too mention the fact that the technology kids are socializing with isn't being closely monitored by their parents or teachers.

I am an extremely shy person. If I am in a room with a small amount of people in it, I am a great conversationalist. The more people you add to that room, the quieter I start to become though, because I hate being the center of attention. Now add a bit of modern technology and some slight anonymity (such as these forums) and I can get all my thoughts out in the open without worrying about people passing judgment.

I do not believe the social networking is the problem. It is the technology that allows people to hide behind screen names which is making it even more difficult to function normally in society.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I feel it's just how this generation is. Every generation is different. But the texting has gone too far. I hate how people text really fast and aren't even looking at what their typing. It's really sad. I personally like how this generation keeps in touch with all their friends. I think it's better than people in previous generations. In previous generations, when you graduated from high school, you never saw your friends from there again. I think it's somewhat better this way. But as I said, texting has gone WAY too far.