• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is using shiny methods unethical?

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
I don't think shiny "hunting" is unethical. I personally don't like RNGing. But I also don't think of it as hacking like some people do. The only unethical hunting is hacking. People who MM (like myself) work hard for what we want, which is not unethical. Just as long as you work hard for what you want without cheating, its fine.

Aquanova

There isnt anything wrong with SRing or usng Masuda method. Look at my signature, I wouldnt have those shinies if i didnt SR for them and it took a long time. Masuda method was programmed that way for that reason. Of course its still rewarding to get a shiny that way as it is to randomly find one you arent looking for. I dont RNG and I wont learn it. I want to work for my shinies actually.

ChampionZ

Luxray Master

Killarflame

Demigod of Darkness
The ethics of it is entirely dependant on HOW it is being used.
If you are doing it for your own enjoyment, and leaving it at that, then I see no issue.
If you are getting them easily and then using them on the GTS, then yes you are unethical

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
There isnt anything wrong with SRing or usng Masuda method. Look at my signature, I wouldnt have those shinies if i didnt SR for them and it took a long time. Masuda method was programmed that way for that reason. Of course its still rewarding to get a shiny that way as it is to randomly find one you arent looking for. I dont RNG and I wont learn it. I want to work for my shinies actually.
Ignorance at its finest.

This is like bigotry on a pokemon level.
It takes real skill the RNG homefry. In fact, it takes real patience to learn this. But its super duper rewarding.
It takes about 3 hours to learn how to RNG initially. After that it takes about an hour to do your first one. After that you can do it like a pro.
Come guys. be a pro yo

Last edited:

grayzoroark

Dark Type Gym Leader
i did find one re shiny it was a zubat and it was in SS right before my 2nd Gym battle, but then i migrated so i gotta start over, i guess its fair after finding 15K+ zubat across the region

Snowi

I like to find Shinies randomly, because it makes it more of a surprise, instead of just 'Oh look, its another Shiny!'

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
I like to find Shinies randomly, because it makes it more of a surprise, instead of just 'Oh look, its another Shiny!'

Trust me... MMing is not just "Oh look, its another Shiny!". It's more like "OMG!!! FINALLY!!!! I have worked sooo hard for you and for you to keep me waiting is just plain wrong! You are now grounded mister!" Well... that might just be me. :p

Miror

De-le-le wooooooooooop
Staff member
RNGing I would say is unethical. Chaining maybe. The rest? Definitely not

thetifftiff

One must collect eggs, prepare parents, release Pokémon, etc. With REing, one just runs around repeatedly.

You have to make sure you have enough PP in your moves and healing items unless you want to keep running back to the pokecenter. :p

My point was that both things are just basically repetitive tasks once you've done the preparation. I'm just riding back and forth on Route 3 now, nothing skilled about it.

The ethics of it is entirely dependant on HOW it is being used.
If you are doing it for your own enjoyment, and leaving it at that, then I see no issue.
If you are getting them easily and then using them on the GTS, then yes you are unethical

Unless you mean actual hacking, why is that bad? Any other method (yes, including RNG) gives you a completely legitimate pokemon. I don't understand how trading anything that is not a hack is a bad thing. If someone wants to give away a legendary or something for a legitimate shiny, that was their own decision.