• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Whitney really that challenging?

Do you hate fighting her?

• I HATE FIGHTING HER

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • She's OK, sometimes annoying

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • I sweep right through her!

Votes: 20 29.0%

• Total voters

"Spite" DefaultAsAwesome

I've played through Pokemon HeartGold numerous times, but every time I reach Whitney, the one who is said to make kids in distress because of her Miltank, I just sweep right through her with a decently leveled team. She never ends up using Rollout OR Milk Drink. Just Stomp and occasionally Attract. I personally find Bugsy alot more difficult if you picked Chickorita (or Totodile for that matter!)
Discuss

...Then again I beat her Miltank with my Pineco going "WTF BEWM". :3

Last edited:

Charizardfan900

Charizard King!
I find her extremely challenging.

I beat her first pokemon with twi hits then she takes out 4 of my pokemon! Four!

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
She isn't really THAT difficult in HeartGold/SoulSilver but in the originals, she was almost unbeatable. Milktank isn't really that hard, Just make sure you're using Flaffy with Thunderwave,Rock Smash, Thunder Shock,? A Crocanaw, Weepingbell with Acid, and some girl Pokemon. She isn't too hard.

She was when I was 12. I didn't understand the game as well back then but now I know all you have to do is Explode a Geodude and the problem goes away.

cantab

She's certainly in contention for the hardest Gym Leader, factoring in likely levels at the point you'll fight her. Attract has a good chance of neutering your crucial Pokemon, Milk Drink spam can undo all your efforts, and if she gets a Rollout going it can very easily be game over. And you can't leave her until later like you can with some of the others either, because you won't get the super soaker to blast Sudowoodo with until you've got her badge.

Of course, there are ways to counter her. Female Pokemon are immune to her Attract, and boosting evasion or dropping will effectively check Rollout. There's an in-game trade in Goldenrod that will get you a female Machop, which is quite possibly present with Whitney in mind. But most other Gym Leaders will fall to pretty much any sensibly-balanced team at appropriate levels. With Whitney, if you're not specifically prepared for her she's quite likely to crush you.

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
She's quite difficult, to say the least.
Though people tend to make her out to be much more difficult than she actually is.
It took me three tries, make more, to beat her in my SoulSilver. However, I was primarily using my Croconaw there to take out her Miltank. I let my other Pokemon handle her Clefairy.
I easily beat her in my Crystal version, however.

"Spite" DefaultAsAwesome

No, I did too. She's a total pushover if you have the right Pokemon and strategy.

Agreed. Sometimes I feel like being such a dick, when her Miltank is about to go down in one turn (because I have my Exeggutor use Leech Seed), I switch out to Pineco just to use Self Destruct.
Sweet revenge.
(Is it just me, or does she never end up using Milk Drink?)

Aegon

I didn't have any difficulty with her in SS. I beat her in one attempt. Just set up against Clefairy, and you're good to go.

Nightfall_

Gamer Extrodinare
She's easily the hardest trainer in the game. And yes, red is included.

Her Miltank is almost invincible with her rollout - potion combo. Seriously, it all comes down to luck when your battling her.

Her other pokémon just weaken yours, and the second you think its finished your pokémon get OHKO'ed with rollout. Plus, it gets more powerful every time.

However, she's not invincible, Set up your wall on Clefairy - her weakest - and then leech seed Miltank. She's then down for the count. Right strategy and pokémon are good to up your chances. And then just Self Destruct on the Miltank. It OHKO's every time.

Me? I swept right through her. Red's easier though.

Last edited:

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Back when G/S/C was released, most of us were young and didn't know much about the game. In that scenario, yes she is tough. But when you know what you're doing, she isn't really. I actually think she was easier in HG/SS regardless of getting scrappy and whatever else.

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
I can defeat her clefairy easily, but sometimes her Miltank annoys me. For me, it just uses rollout over and over, and really annoys me. It isn't until I bring over my teddiursa with close combat that I actually manage to win, even if I have a level 24 quilava with me.