1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Is your GAME NOT SAVING? Internal Battery is the problem

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by Pure, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pure

Pure back.

Increasingly of late, I have seen too many posts and threads relating to the fact that their Gold/Silver/Crystal version is no longer letting them save their games, or their current game is corrupted. If you have said "my game won't save!" or "it says my file is corrupted!", then this is the thread with answers.

The answer to this is quite simple, the internal battery has died. The internal battery is the game's "hard drive" of sorts, where it stores all of it's save data. After 4-6 years (or less, depending on how long one uses it), the battery will become worn out due to the extended play taking a toll on it's structure. This is becoming common of late, as it is six years to the month since the release of Pokemon Gold and Silver. The cause of internal battery death can be because of extended play, and then a long break. For example, if you lose your game cartridge for an extended period of time, and then find it, chances are it will be dead, if it is an old game.

My Silver version died earlier this year, almost six years after its purchase. Unfortunately, this means that the game that was currently in memory will be erased, and you cannot save any games further. You may be able to save for a short time, but the save file will soon be corrupted.

There are ways to fix this problem, contrary to the belief that you have to scrap the game. However, getting a new game for about fifteen dollars will be about the same time and effort as getting the game fixed. There has been a way discovered to fix this problem.

Solution 1: You may replace the internal battery, literally. This can be manual or by giving it to RadioShack or Nintendo, if possible. (Note: Images do not work)

For the source, it's here.

Solution 2: However, another, more tedious way has been discovered. It is not completely confirmed, although there have been multiple reports saying it worked. Domefossil of the forums found this way.

However, this method takes four days, and is relatively untested. It also only works well with an SP, so if you have anything lower, try the first method. The source is here.

Solution 3: As well, a method relating to the soldering method has been found. This, essentially, is the soldering method, but modified so that you try to force the new battery into place by pushing it rather than soldering it. It's a bit less efficient, but valid.

The source for this one is here.

Again, each of these methods are somewhat valid. It's your choice what to use. I prefer the soldering method, but should you lack that ability, perhaps Solution 3 is the best way. If not, perhaps you want to go the long way and pick Solution 2.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.