• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Islamophobia and McCarthyism

Silver Soul

Last week, Minnesota Republican Congresswoman Michele Bachmann accused top Hilary Clinton aide, Huma Abedin, of having connections to the Muslim Brotherhood which she believes is infiltrating the government. Keep in mind, Abedin is married to former NY Democratic Congressman Anthony Weiner who is Jewish and Pro-Israel. She is sided with 4 other Congressmen who also made the claim.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/michele-bachmann-huma-abedin-muslim_n_1680083.html

However, Senator John McCain condemned Bachmann's accusations and current House Majority Speaker John Boehner considers it too dangerous.

This is pretty much McCarthy-like since Bachmann is questioning Abedin's loyalty to America based on her religion. It's not just her but also others who think the same way. I like to hear your opinions on this.

Last edited:

7 tyranitars

Last week, Minnesota Republican Congresswoman Michele Bachmann accused former Hilary Clinton aide, Huma Abedin, of having connections to the Muslim Brotherhood which she believes is infiltrating the government. Keep in mind, Abedin is married to former NY Democratic Congressman Anthony Weiner who is Jewish and Pro-Israel. She is sided with 4 other Congressmen who also made the claim.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/michele-bachmann-huma-abedin-muslim_n_1680083.html

However, Senator John McCain condemned Bachmann's accusations and current House Majority Speaker John Boehner considers it too dangerous.

This is pretty much McCarthy-like since Bachmann is questioning Abedin's loyalty to America based on her religion. It's not just her but also others who think the same way. I like to hear your opinions on this.

Lol, this is nothing compared to our islamophobic political party.

BigLutz

Banned
McCarthyism is a fairly large stretch, Ms. Abedin is a high ranking Government official, and her family has extensive ties with the Muslim brotherhood. The letter asked for the Inspector General to look into it and report back to congress. Not to set up some Anti American board to drag her in from, not jail time, but to look into the foreign family ties of a high ranking Government official with a terrorist organization, ties I might add do exist. To say that anyone is questioning Ms. Abedin's loyalty strictly on her religion, and not on the actual ties her family has is ludicrous. Mind you the Government is supposed to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Edit: Here are the ties:

Dr. Saleha Abedin ( Huma Abedin’s mother ) has been a member of the Muslim Sisterhood, “which is essentially nothing more than the female version of the Brotherhood,” according to Walid Shoebat, a former Brotherhood member who has renounced the organization. The Brotherhood is not only the font of Sunni supremacist ideology, it spearheads the international support network for Hamas, the terrorist organization that openly proclaims itself as the Brotherhood’s Palestinian branch.

According to one report, Dr. Abedin has on occasion represented herself as a delegate of the MWL. Moreover, as William Jacobson documents at Legal Insurrection, Dr. Abedin has led the International Islamic Committee for Woman and Child (IICWC), an Islamist organization that hews to the positions of Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi, the Brotherhood’s leading sharia jurist. Like Brotherhood entities, the IICWC defends such practices as female genital mutilation and child marriage, which find support in Islamic law and scripture.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/310198/questions-about-huma-abedin-andrew-c-mccarthy?pg=3

"Another piece of the puzzle and what was common knowledge in the Arab world is that Huma Abedin has a brother named Hassan Abedin who sits in on the board of the Oxford Centre For Islamic Studies (OCIS) where Huma’s brother is a fellow and partners with a number of Muslim Brotherhood members on the Board, including Al-Qaeda associate, Omar Naseef and the notorious Muslim Brotherhood leader Sheikh Youssef Qaradawi; both have been listed as OCIS Trustees. Naseef continues to serve as Board Chairman."

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/jamie-glazov/the-dark-muslim-brotherhood-world-of-huma-abedin-2/

Last edited:

Silver Soul

McCarthyism is a fairly large stretch, Ms. Abedin is a high ranking Government official, and her family has extensive ties with the Muslim brotherhood. The letter asked for the Inspector General to look into it and report back to congress. Not to set up some Anti American board to drag her in from, not jail time, but to look into the foreign family ties of a high ranking Government official with a terrorist organization, ties I might add do exist. To say that anyone is questioning Ms. Abedin's loyalty strictly on her religion, and not on the actual ties her family has is ludicrous. Mind you the Government is supposed to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Edit: Here are the ties:

Dr. Saleha Abedin ( Huma Abedin’s mother ) has been a member of the Muslim Sisterhood, “which is essentially nothing more than the female version of the Brotherhood,” according to Walid Shoebat, a former Brotherhood member who has renounced the organization. The Brotherhood is not only the font of Sunni supremacist ideology, it spearheads the international support network for Hamas, the terrorist organization that openly proclaims itself as the Brotherhood’s Palestinian branch.

According to one report, Dr. Abedin has on occasion represented herself as a delegate of the MWL. Moreover, as William Jacobson documents at Legal Insurrection, Dr. Abedin has led the International Islamic Committee for Woman and Child (IICWC), an Islamist organization that hews to the positions of Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi, the Brotherhood’s leading sharia jurist. Like Brotherhood entities, the IICWC defends such practices as female genital mutilation and child marriage, which find support in Islamic law and scripture.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/310198/questions-about-huma-abedin-andrew-c-mccarthy?pg=3

"Another piece of the puzzle and what was common knowledge in the Arab world is that Huma Abedin has a brother named Hassan Abedin who sits in on the board of the Oxford Centre For Islamic Studies (OCIS) where Huma’s brother is a fellow and partners with a number of Muslim Brotherhood members on the Board, including Al-Qaeda associate, Omar Naseef and the notorious Muslim Brotherhood leader Sheikh Youssef Qaradawi; both have been listed as OCIS Trustees. Naseef continues to serve as Board Chairman."

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/jamie-glazov/the-dark-muslim-brotherhood-world-of-huma-abedin-2/

Yes but still, things like this would lead to more unfounded bigotry based on the notion that Muslims in general are all evil. Not only Huma Abedin is the victim here, but also Minnesota Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison who is also Muslim.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/19/keith-ellison-michele-bachmann_n_1688150.html

BigLutz

Banned
Yes but still, things like this would lead to more unfounded bigotry based on the notion that Muslims in general are all evil. Not only Huma Abedin is the victim here, but also Minnesota Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison who is also Muslim.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/19/keith-ellison-michele-bachmann_n_1688150.html

No it would hopefully lead to a investigation into her family ties with a radical organization, there is nothing unfounded or bigoted about that. She is a high ranking adviser who has access to classified materials, and has a mother part of a extremist organization. There is nothing wrong with looking into that, infact by not looking into it, you are putting Muslims into a special class and saying that just because of their religion they are immune to investigation based on their family associations.

BTW Keith Ellison's associations are no secret.

"" Known for months has been that Mr. Ellison was involved in the 1990s with the Nation of Islam, which even he now concedes is racist and anti-Semitic. In a letter of apology to the local Jewish community, Mr. Ellison claimed that he was never a member of the Natio of Islam and thus didn’t realize until later the organization’s ugly ideology. But according to press accounts at the time, Mr. Ellison served as Nation of Islam spokesman at a 1997 public hearing where he defended — in his own words — “the truth” of a government official’s supposed comment that “Jews are the most racist white people.”

Only learned recently and far more troubling is Mr. Ellison’s seemingly tight connection with Nihad Awad, co-founder of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), whom he met almost two decades ago at the University of Minnesota.

Mr. Ellison’s campaign obviously has downplayed the affiliation with Mr. Awad. But here are the facts: Mr. Awad headlined a fundraiser last month that the campaign estimates netted $15,000 to $20,000, and in July, and it appears that CAIR’s co-founder bundled contributions totaling just over $10,000. (The campaign issued a terse denial on the latter point, though it refused to explain away overwhelming evidence to the contrary.) The campaign has gone so far as to suggest that Mr. Awad did all this without having any contact with someone he’s known since the late 1980s. "

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2006/sep/24/20060924-085114-9378r/

That is all from a 2006 article.

Last edited:

Zevn

Lost in Translation
I would say it's better to judge someone based on their actions, rather than the actions of their family.

BigLutz

Banned
I would say it's better to judge someone based on their actions, rather than the actions of their family.

That is very true, but in the ultra secrecy of U.S. intel, it is best to make sure that there are no possible leaks, than to wait and hope there are no leaks.

Silver Soul

No it would hopefully lead to a investigation into her family ties with a radical organization, there is nothing unfounded or bigoted about that. She is a high ranking adviser who has access to classified materials, and has a mother part of a extremist organization. There is nothing wrong with looking into that, infact by not looking into it, you are putting Muslims into a special class and saying that just because of their religion they are immune to investigation based on their family associations.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Abedin would suffer from all this by guilt by association which in the eyes of bigots, makes her an enemy to America automatically. You are not understanding the sympathy from this.

Zevn

Lost in Translation
Publicly accusing her is far different than investigating in the interest of safety. They are trying to discredit her.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
I think you are missing the point Silver. If this person has family members with ties to a terror organization then she is a possible liability. Since her family could be taken hostage or she could be blackmailed by the group. So if she does have ties (even distant ones) It needs to be investigated to insure her integrity.

BigLutz

Banned
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Abedin would suffer from all this by guilt by association which in the eyes of bigots, makes her an enemy to America automatically. You are not understanding the sympathy from this.

So you are saying Congress should go "Hey we know this woman's family has ties to this organization, but some people may see her as a enemy so screw it we are not doing anything"

Zevn said:
Publicly accusing her is far different than investigating in the interest of safety. They are trying to discredit her.

Last time I checked they were not accusing her of anything, just asking to investigate ties, if those ties turn out to be nothing then she would be vindicated would she not?

Zevn

Lost in Translation
Vindicated in the eyes of the reasonable perhaps, which I'm sure you are aware is not the majority of the U.S.

Silver Soul

I think you are missing the point Silver. If this person has family members with ties to a terror organization then she is a possible liability. Since her family could be taken hostage or she could be blackmailed by the group. So if she does have ties (even distant ones) It needs to be investigated to insure her integrity.

If it was to insure her integrity, then they did a TERRIBLE job at it. Poor communication can kill you know.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
It just seems that way Zevn.

I disagree Silver. If she doesn't have ties then as Big pointed out she will recover if she plats it gracefully. It will be worse if she fights the investigation cause we will begin to wonder what she is hiding.

Last edited:

Silver Soul

It just seems that way Zevn.

I disagree Silver. If she doesn't have ties then as Big pointed out she will recover if she plats it gracefully. It will be worse if she fights the investigation cause we will begin to wonder what she is hiding.

Yeah. But the problem is this for example recently, Senator McCain came into her defense last week and this is what he got in response from Arizona Tea Party Leader Wes Harris who wants to RECALL him for it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/wes-harris-arizona-tea-party_n_1697793.html

Wes Harris, the founder and chairman of the Original North Phoenix Tea Party, now says McCain's words have given him grounds to mount an effort to unseat the longtime senator.

In an interview with the Arizona Capitol Times, Harris called McCain an "embarrassment," before laying out a variety of unapologetic anti-Islamic sentiments.

“Have you ever read the Quran? I suggest you do so, because anyone that is a Muslim is a threat to this country, and that’s a fact,” Harris told the Times. “There is no such thing as a moderate Muslim. If they are Muslim they have to follow the Quran. That’s their religion and that’s their doctrine.”

According to the Times, Harris believes Muslims are incapable of being loyal to the U.S., because he claims that their faith in Islam and the Quran trumps any other allegiance. He also apparently believes Muslims shouldn't be able to serve in the State Department at all.

“Is [Abedin] a Muslim? Is she an active Muslim?” Harris asked the Times. “I rest my case. That’s all she needs to be.”

In his email airing his grievances, Harris also linked to the Bare Naked Islam blog, an internet clearinghouse for Islamophobia that claims to have further proof of Abedin's supposed ties to the Muslim Brotherhood. One post touts a new report from the Center for Security Policy, the right-wing think tank behind the paper that led to Bachmann and her cohort's initial inquiry, that seeks to unveil the "Islamist" roots of Abedin's mother.

While other top Republicans, including House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), came out to reject Bachmann's accusation, Harris says McCain's defense of Abedin is just the latest in a string of actions that have warranted a recall effort.

“Go to hell, Senator, it’s time for you to take your final dirt nap,” Harris concludes.

BigLutz

Banned
Last edited:

Celestial Moth

Guardian of the Tree of Time
Its just another attempt to cover up the real corruption in that government because it side tracks people from the truth in which most are very close to truely understanding...

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Yeah. But the problem is this for example recently, Senator McCain came into her defense last week and this is what he got in response from Arizona Tea Party Leader Wes Harris who wants to RECALL him for it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/wes-harris-arizona-tea-party_n_1697793.html
Then let the honorable woman be investigated. Because as an honorable man, if I'm not hiding something, you can look till you are old and grey. It's how my honor works.

I really, r e a l l y don't like John McCain. But I think he does have a point here. Malanu, I don't think that he, or that woman, have a problem with her being investigated. I'm sure she has nothing to hide. But the problem is that the act of being investigated alone could will be used by the media to end her career. It doesn't matter that they'll find nothing, the headlines will read "So and so investigated for links to terrorism." That's all people will see and that's all they'll remember.