• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Island of Giant Pokémon! (017)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Island of Giant Pokémon! (017)

Island of Giant Pokémon!

After being thrown from Gyarados' Twister attack, Ash & co. are seperated from their Pokémon. Can they put their differences aside to find eachother and save themselves from the Huge Pokémon or will they turn on eachother?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

As great as Kanto was, this could quite possibly be the best of everything they did, this was just a near perfect episode.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Well, I'm in the minority here, but I thought this was a wrong turn. Perhaps if they had expanded the idea of Pikachu and the other Pokémon trying to find their owners, but instead, they're terrorized by a bunch of giant Pokémon robots. Um...okay? If that path had to be taken, then it could have been a pretty good satire of "Jurassic Park", but this show doesn't do satire, so that's out. So we're stuck with Ash, Misty, and Brock having to work together with Jessie and James (I HATE it when they do that) to get off the island with their Pokémon. It just didn't interest me - but it did offer a good jab when I wrote "Return to the Island of the Giant Pokémon".

thed3

Bow Chicka Bow Wow!
Well I liked this a lot most of ash's pokemon got spotlight.. except pidgeotto and butterfree.... all of ash's pokemon should've had the spotlight....

F

Factory Head Noland

I think that Butterfree and Pidgeotto weren't with the other Pokemon because they were the one's that can fly so they could have flown above the tree's and found the gang and the episode wouldn't have lasted very long.
I liked the part when the Pokemon were getting chased by all of the giant Pokemon and the gang and Team Rocket were in the cart.

zonic the hedgehog

HUR HUR USER TITLE
^__^ i love this episode! This is probably one of the BEST pokemon episodes in Kanto, and i think it was the only one that ever had pokemon subtitles!
i love it when Ekans talks! "Pokemon not bad guys. Massssterssss make them that way." i also love it when squirtle and bulbasaur are arguing!
Squirtle: "Hey, Bro! Yeah, uh... nice weather we're havin' today!"
Bulbasaur:"Idiot."

M

meggirl63

I thought this episode was a lil scary, but the 'giant' Pokemon were just mechanical.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Ah yes, the episode that had to be edited heavily due to a scene in which Pokemon are consuming Alcohol. Though, we still saw Meowth wasted and Bulbasaur fightin' drunk.

Man, that whole stretch of episodes was filled with stuff that the Over Protective Soccer Mom's of Doom could pounce on. I guess they just got dirty minded writers.

Heracross

Custom User Title
Eh, just blame the censors. Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode, it was really pretty good. Of course, there weren't many Kanto episodes that weren't good, but that's not the point. There certainly was a lot of comedy in this episode, like when TR calls Giovanni and he hangs up on them. Then Jessie gets the bright idea that if they follow the telephone wire they'll eventually get to the phone company.XD I personally like it when Ash & co and TR have to work together, it shows TR aren't always insensitive and evil. All the pokémon having to work together was good too, and I liked the use of subtitles. I also liked the scenes where they're getting chased by the giant pokémon robots, like when all the pokémon are sitting around and the giant Rhydon shows up, I love that part. The ending was cool too, when they all find the resort town and start runnung for the beach (and unfortunately a banned episode). I guess I could continue listing parts that I liked but you guys can just go read the episode summary.:p Not much else to say I guess, this was a just really good episode all around. Too bad I haven't seen it in so long, I really miss some of the good old Kanto eps.:(

The Big Al said:
Ah yes, the episode that had to be edited heavily due to a scene in which Pokemon are consuming Alcohol. Though, we still saw Meowth wasted and Bulbasaur fightin' drunk.

Man, that whole stretch of episodes was filled with stuff that the Over Protective Soccer Mom's of Doom could pounce on. I guess they just got dirty minded writers.

Battle Aboard the St. Anne. Nothing offensive I know of
Pokemon Shipwreck. Likewise
Island of the Giant Pokemon. Alcohol consumption
Beauty and the Beach. Does not even need to be stated
Tentacool and Tentacruel. Buildings destroyed, violence, scary images.

Was there anything wrong in the first two episodes I missed, or were they clean. With the exception of B and the B, this was an excellent stretch of episodes all around.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
You forgot mystery of Maiden's peak with Brock and James...yeah. I mean starting with this episode. They had to drastically edit or ban these episodes because of their content.

M

meggirl63

Serebii said:
Island of Giant Pokémon!

After being thrown from Gyarados' Twister attack, Ash & co. are seperated from their Pokémon. Can they put their differences aside to find eachother and save themselves from the Huge Pokémon or will they turn on eachother?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Was there really a scene with the Pokemon drinking alcohol? The reason I asked is 'cause I heard that it was edited out.

R

Ryuu

Cloud Strife said:
As great as Kanto was, this could quite possibly be the best of everything they did, this was just a near perfect episode.

Yep, you've hit the nail on the head.

This episode was my first introduction to Charizard, Blastoise and Venusaur(also Zapdos and others). I got all excited after seeing the evolved forms of the Kanto starters and I wished every single day that Ash's Kanto starters would evolve. :D

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Pokemonisgr8 said:
I think that Butterfree and Pidgeotto weren't with the other Pokemon because they were the one's that can fly so they could have flown above the tree's and found the gang and the episode wouldn't have lasted very long.
Meh, they could have easily have had Koffing do the exact same thing. An argument along the lines of 'Koffing is only able to levitate a certain amount off the ground' isn't going to hold with me I'm afraid, because its been shown an ample amount of times that both Koffing and Weezing are able to float 100's of feet off the ground~
The least they could have done was had Pidgeotto have its wings damaged in some way. I guess then they would have needed a certain degree of resposibilty among the group, having to take care of an injured companion.
And yes, I am somewhat bitter at the way Pidgeotto was constanly shoved to the side...so, blah.
The Big Al said:
Though, we still saw Meowth wasted and Bulbasaur fightin' drunk.
That scene had me in stitches the first time around. Even my brother, who was at least 7 at the time, could tell they were drunk, which added to the humour ^.^
I did like the use of subtitles in the episode and its a shame that it isn't done anymore. That recently dubbed Nuzleaf episode would have benefit a hell of a lot more with some humourous subs here and there :p

Heracross

Custom User Title
I agree that this was the best arc they ever did in pokémon. It just ties together so perfectly and really made it seem more like a journey. You can see the plot being enhanced and you can tell Ash & co are going somewhere. Watch any episode now and it could just as well be any random location in the Hoen region. You can't really tell that they're getting anywhere, but when you watch these episodes you know they are. They really need to do more arcs like this. They only had a couple others and they weren't even very good.=/

~*Aurora Wish*~

I QUIT THIS FORUM!!!
The subtitles were the best part of the episode. My favorite was the one where Squirtle was too afraid to ask the Blastoise, so he said, "Isn't it lovely weather today?" and all of the others fainted.

Bulbasaur: "Nope, I have no fmaily. I am an orphan." LOLness at that. While I may not have loved this arc, I can't argue that this was an excellent filler. Asking Slowpoke for directions, LOLness x 2. A very funny episode, not to mention quite character developy for Ekans and Koffing. I rather thought they might abandon TR once they realized how bad they were.

Overall rating:
9.9 out of 10!!!!
A most awesome filler. I really want more fillers like this, although Hoenn has risen to the occasion quite a few times.

SC~ out

Puffs

...NINE-THOUSAND!!!!
I usually count the movies, pikachu shorts, Pichu Bros., & specials as episodes. But if i didn't, this would be my favorite! Charmander just didn't have the same "Woa! Big, mean, Ash's Charizard!" personality though. I know all the robots that were on the island:
Venusaur
Charizard
Blastoise
Pikachu
Rhydon
Kabutops
Zapdos
Moltres(actually, i couldn't tell if that was the real thing or not)

Squirtle: Go talk to him. He's family.
Bulbasaur: Er...I haver no family...I'm an orphan.

Too bad they don't do that subtitles thing anymore. Whenever they have something very similar to this situation, they just have Meowth translate everything. They should have subtitles in Pikachu shorts & Pichu Bros.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I loved this whole arc, mainly because it was a nice pause between the gyms, wasn't in the games (full of surprises) and developed the characters so well. Fabulous.