• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Isn't Pikachu...weak?

How is using Pikachu in Yellow a good choice? Is the starter you are given have stronger stats than an average Pikachu? The 52 average is really weak for the final stage of a Pokemon (as it is in Yellow since you can't evolve it). So do people just use it for the novelty, or is it actually a strong option to put in your party?

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
For the novelty obviously, since Yellow is based on the anime, and Pikachu is the starting pokemon in it.

iCakeify

Luxray Fanboy
The Pikachu in Yellow is just an option for very stupid kids.

Shiny Glameow

What? How dare you! My Pikachu was awes-... actually yeah.

I think people just use it as a novelty. I boxed it as soon as I'd built a good enough team, never really saw the use for it.

Ivanka

Freeeeeeeeee
Yeah the whole game is based on the anime so you get Pikachu first. You can get the other 3 starters anyway and you don't have to use Pikachu anyway.

MewTwoEx

Metagross Master
Don't be hatin on lil ol pikachu. :O He's not the strongest pokemon out there, but then again - Play with the pokemon you like :D

DarthVader

Pikachu becomes less useful late game, but it seems a shame to box the only Pokemon that walks behind you. If only you could use a Light Ball...

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Yeah it's weak but its not useless.

Meowth City

Staff member
Why wouldn't you use Pikachu in Yellow? If you don't want Pikachu, that's what Red and Blue are for.

my pikachu was weak but i did a hack where you can evolve the Pikachu into raichu but the sprite of Pikachu walking behind you stayed the same :<

ladendar

Little munchkinz
I hate it when you are watching the show and all, and Pikachu appears to be a peast, but when you happen to be playing the GAME, Pikachu is this weakling. You hit it with one underground moves and it faints. I think using it when your not facing a challenger and whatnot is best, such as using it against the elite 4 or the gym leaders. But if your using it against someone who challenged you on Serebii or something, I think, in my opininon, its wise to keep Pikachu tucked away in a waiting place. I can't stand how weak it is, but its evolved form Rachui, isn't that bad I suppose (sorry for the mispell, can't remember how to spell Pikachu's evolution all of a sudden)

KiraRebornXD

I hate the shows nothing on them is correct and Pikachu losing to a lv5 snivy? WTF??? He's also so easy to kill in the games.

Alezicarus

What the show doesn't tell you is that ash replaces his pikachu every season so that's why it seems weak...because it is!

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
What the show doesn't tell you is that ash replaces his pikachu every season so that's why it seems weak...because it is!

What pikachu in the anime isn't weak the writers just make it seem that way.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Pikachu becomes less useful late game, but it seems a shame to box the only Pokemon that walks behind you. If only you could use a Light Ball...

Funny story; that Pikachu's the ONLY way to get Light Ball in 2nd Gen (by trading it). It's a shame though that it can't have those Stat boosts in Yellow

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
I never ditched him 'cause he was my starter and I never ditch starters, never had any problems while beating the E4 with him, but it always bugged me I couldn't evolve him. Was it that hard to make a few more sprites to give us a walking Raichu?

AwesomeSauce117

Nostalgia Addict
My second playthrough of Yellow, I ditched Pikachu and got an Electrode.