• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Isn't Pikachu...weak?

Charikachu

Bananas!
Yellow was based off the Anime, so pikachu was novelty.

ChedWick

Having a pokemon follow you around in gen I was pretty cool. That's the only reason I didn't store him. Not like he didn't get the job done though.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Was it that hard to make a few more sprites to give us a walking Raichu?

Yes, because Yellow Version was based on the anime and that Pikachu never evolved. So yea, that's why you can't have a walking Raichu in Yellow.

Zweihander Nemesis

Not too old for Poke
I never finished Yellow because I got red and it occupied all of my time.

hmm this inspires me to go get Yellow and form an "Ash" team and only use that.

Razor Xtreme

^ Really? I mean, I personally LOVED Red, but I think Yellow had a better concept honestly, with the option to get all three starters. I woulda loved Yellow a lot more if the colors weren't so iffy.

Livi

Memory Seeker
Pikachu isn't weak imo. Not a long time ago I finished pokemon blue on my gameboy colour once more (Yeh I was bored) and y'know what? Pikachu was on my final team. It had no trouble kicking Elite Four's arses. Well, I was surprised myself actually... But anyhow pikachu is not that weak. xP

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Yes, because Yellow Version was based on the anime and that Pikachu never evolved. So yea, that's why you can't have a walking Raichu in Yellow.

Which is why some people hate using that pikachu.

POKEMONISDUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, it is not. It can sometimes be the strongest Pokémon on your team if you are really commited to using it.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I don't really like Pikachu that much, but I always use it in Yellow because I feel bad about putting it into the box. :/ I've found that it's quite weak defensively since it doesn't take hits well. But offensively, it's not that bad - I love how it owns Water and Flying types with Thunderbolt/Thunder.

Also, it can learn the Pay Day TM - which is just awesome.

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
Useful or not, it's usually the first to die in a Nuzlocke Run.

Yeah, it's really only there for the novelty, but Yellow manages to jack up the difficulty on two fronts- It forces players to have more actively battling Pokémon than their starter (actually something I was guilty of until I was 15,) AND it buffs Koga to Giovanni's parties, making the game about twice s hard. So, props to TPCi (or PUSA, I suppose, given that this was WAY prior to 2009.)

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
It's not stupid to use a weaker Pokemon. Pikachu actually isn't that bad. Although back then it wasn't that great due to the lack of Light Ball. But still, Yellow followed the anime and it was just a novelty thing to have it.

And who doesn't enjoy that little thing following you in the overworld? >.<

^ Really? I mean, I personally LOVED Red, but I think Yellow had a better concept honestly, with the option to get all three starters. I woulda loved Yellow a lot more if the colors weren't so iffy.

Iffy how? D: The colors were awesome because they changed to fit the town name. >.>

Last edited:

Remorph

Alone With Everybody
Pikachu is pretty weak. But it was 1st gen then. Pikachu was somewhat useful.

Sprintking

Yellow is by far my favorite Pokemon game of any gen. This isn't competitive battling, so Pikachu is more than capable of being a contributing member on an E4 team. If you hate him so much, they give you the three starters, which more than compensates for that by far.

Yellow Pikachu is nothing more than a novelty. Even now there are fans *****ing about how Yellow has yet to get a VC release.

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
It's not stupid to use a weaker Pokemon. Pikachu actually isn't that bad. Although back then it wasn't that great due to the lack of Light Ball. But still, Yellow followed the anime and it was just a novelty thing to have it.

And who doesn't enjoy that little thing following you in the overworld? >.<

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. In my opinion, playing ingame with pokemon that are a challenge to use makes the game more fun- how much fun is it when you're oneshotting everything?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Pikachu's weak against the first and last gyms. But you can catch other Pokemon to help out

Necro101

The only reason people like that litle fart face is because of yellow and the anime. (Raichu is 10 times beter why not use him instead) well that is my opinion of Picachu if you had not realized I don't like him.