• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Israel Attacks Gaza - At Least 170 Killed

SlipKnoT

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/27/gaza.israel.strikes/index.html

GAZA CITY (CNN) -- Israeli airstrikes pounded targets in Gaza on Saturday, killing at least 170 people, Palestinian medical sources said. An Israeli army spokeswoman said her country is ready to continue the attacks "as long as it takes."

Palestinian medical sources said 110 people were hospitalized in Gaza in serious to critical condition. Earlier Saturday, the sources said at least 250 people had been wounded in the raids.

The militant group Hamas, which controls the government in Gaza, vowed to retaliate.

The strikes followed several days of rocket attacks from Gaza into Israel.

Hamas police stations were hit, killing many senior police commanders, a reporter in Gaza said.

Maj. Gen. Tawfeeq Al-Jaber, a senior commander in the Hamas police force, was killed, as was Ismail Jabari, who headed the special police force in Gaza, Palestinian sources said.

Israeli Maj. Avital Leibovich told CNN the military began the attacks "in order to preserve the security situation in Israel."

"We are prepared for any type of scenario right now. We have our own operation and assessments as we go along, and we are ready to continue this operation as long as it takes," Leibovich said by phone from Tel Aviv.

??????

That guy.
Can't they just sing carols around an open fire or something?

.TraX.

Bad and Nationwide
Recent rocket attacks by Hamas militants, that's why.

That's their excuse, but I'm failing to see the validity of bombing a cop shop in response to a terrorist group making rocket attacks.

It is definitely a saddening thing to hear, but never a shock anymore. The Middle East is always causing some type of war or violence, and it's inevitable until the area will collapse on itself if diplomacy and peace don't have a growing effort.

Sigh, thats a sad thing to hear, especially for the time of the year.
Come on, even we, the Belgians, and the Germans were singing together at Christmas at WWII, but then again, Palestina's don't celebrate Christmas.
I wonder when their eyes will open and they'll realise that their war doesn't solve anything. Probably never.

Kikas123

What 'bout My Star?
According to this the death toll has breached 200
Sad really, but it's such an unstable area, nothing is going to change as long as the Israelis keep retaliating instead of initiating peace talks with the surrounding nations as well as Hezbollah.

Requiem's Eclipse

Hopelessly Hopeful
OMG, I'm tired of Terror Attacks on Holidays. First India now this? WTF, Mate?

BUG

insert joke so dated I don't even remember it
This is akin to a 6-year old poking a grown man with a stick, and the man taking a taser to him. =/

kochoupink

butts lol
If Israel wants to convince the rest of the world that it's a legitimate and even vaguely civilized country, it needs to stop retaliating every time Palestine pokes it.
This is frankly disgusting. The United States should have withdrawn support a long time ago, as Israel has yet to prove that it wants anything even resembling peace.

BigLutz

Banned
If Israel wants to convince the rest of the world that it's a legitimate and even vaguely civilized country, it needs to stop retaliating every time Palestine pokes it.
This is frankly disgusting. The United States should have withdrawn support a long time ago, as Israel has yet to prove that it wants anything even resembling peace.

Israel was being shelled for what a week? Two weeks? What do you expect them to do, sit on their asses while hell is rained down from the sky?

This isn't being poked with a stick, this is being shot at.

That's their excuse, but I'm failing to see the validity of bombing a cop shop in response to a terrorist group making rocket attacks.

Hamas tends to use Police Stations, Hospitals, Schools, Mosques as areas to resupply or to attack from. So that when retaliation happens they can draw sympathy from people. It's a sick and disgusting thing, but it's not the most disgusting thing Hamas has done.

Ethan

Banned

Because giving up Gaza stip in the first place was such an act of aggression.

Read the article.

"We have to experience shelling and rocket attacks on innocent civilians, that's something we will not accept," he told CNN. "I am confident that the American government would not have waited one day before they would have responded if San Diego [California] would have been bombed or shelled or rocketed from Tijuana [Mexico] with thousands of rockets."

Firing rockets is not "poking" and making that comparison is ridiculous. Under that logic after 9/11 we should have just blown two of the biggest building in Aghanistan. Tit for tat right?

Sad really, but it's such an unstable area, nothing is going to change as long as the Israelis keep retaliating instead of initiating peace talks with the surrounding nations as well as Hezbollah.

Are you retarded? You can argue that the Israeli government is morally apprehensible all you want, it's really none of my concern. The fact of the matter is their territory was attacked in an uncivilized manner, and they have every right as a soveriegn nation to respond with aggression.

Further more recognizing Hamas as a legitimate "nation" or whatever you like to call it, is nonsense.

"So I here Israel got rockets fired into their territory for a straight week by random terrorist group that pawns itself off as a legitimate nation"
"Yeah I heard about that. Apparently Israel sent troops in to try and clean house."
"Those sick warmongering bastards"

BUG

insert joke so dated I don't even remember it
Firing rockets is not "poking" and making that comparison is ridiculous. Under that logic after 9/11 we should have just blown two of the biggest building in Aghanistan. Tit for tat right?

True. But honestly, the entire population of Gaza suffers because of Hamas's actions. Maybe I've just been watching to many Bt'selem videos lately.

Ethan

Banned
If your going to blame Israel, blame them for stuff that actually matters. Like blocking all roads and starving everyone in Gaza. That's something. This is not.

Rave

Banned
It seems someone's gonna have a Happy Hanukkah this year.

BigLutz

Banned
Just for a bit of history leading up to it, in the past week leading up to this, over 200 mortars and rockets have rained down upon Israel since the truce expired some time last week. Since the beginning of the year, over 3,000 Rockets have been fired into Israel. Funny how we never get topics about Hamas shooting 200+ Rockets at Israel the moment the truce expires. But when Israel finally retaliates, suddenly they are the bad guys and Hamas is the innocent child who has been poking Israel, and the US needs to stop all aid to Israel.

Kikas123 said:
nothing is going to change as long as the Israelis keep retaliating instead of initiating peace talks with the surrounding nations as well as Hezbollah.

You know what Hamas calls "Peace Talks" and "Truces" with Israel? A chance to rearm, regroup, and plan for their next attack. These people give children AK-47s and Suicide Vests, peace talks to them are just a chance to become a stronger killing machine.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
This is akin to a 6-year old poking a grown man with a stick, and the man taking a taser to him. =/

I wouldn't be surprised if that did happen... Over reaction is nothing new; Boston massacre, snow balls and ice = open fire?