• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Issues with Firefox 1.5?

Trip

Former Staff Member
Has anyone else been having many rather serious problems with Firefox 1.5 that were not present in 1.0.x?

I'm not a Windows user, but I'm hearing that the Windows Firefox memory leak problem is worse than it was in 1.0.x, and I remember it was pretty bad back then.

Under Fedora Core 4 I've had nothing but problems with it. Installing it was a game in itself, as I first installed it by just manually overwriting the 1.0.7 files (I couldn't get it to install any other way). This caused Firefox to crash whenever Flash wanted to run for some reason. I've since replaced it with an RPM that was built for FC4.

I can't get videos to play anymore, as every time I try to go to, say, a Windows Media thing whose address starts with mms:// it asks me if I want to open it with totem (which, I might add, isn't even installed) rather than with the mplayer plugin. No choice in programs, it's either totem or cancel.

Further, I'm having a weird issue that I think is due to the tab-dragging feature, where it'll sometimes when I'm changing tabs bring up the 'dragging' cursor and then hang the whole OS for about 15 seconds. Can't change programs or use escape to fix it, and since I can't change programs, I can't use KSysGuard to see what's jamming it up.

If it can't find the Live Bookmark feed for whatever reason, instead of bringing up the thing that says "feed can't be opened" or whatever, it just flickers instead. Further, there's no quick way to add Live Bookmarks anymore, as the icon was removed from the Status Bar and is now unclickable in the addressbar, between the Favicon and the address.

Am I alone in seeing a LOT of problems with Firefox 1.5?

- Trip

Eileen

Queen of Orudoran
Firefox has a exploit with the History system if you click the wrong link, it will crash your browser. When you try to run it again it will crash again until the history file is deleted in your profile folder.

Disable history to prevent exploit, or use a different browser.

Trip

Former Staff Member
Alyssa Picariello said:
Firefox has a exploit with the History system if you click the wrong link, it will crash your browser. When you try to run it again it will crash again until the history file is deleted in your profile folder.

Disable history to prevent exploit, or use a different browser.

I doubt that's the issue; I've read about it. I haven't had it completely crash since I installed that RPM instead of using the copied-over files. It just hangs for 15-30 seconds every so often while giving me the 'dragging' cursor.

- Trip

Dragonfree

Just me
Well, it works just fine for me on Windows. =/ I thought it was supposed to be compatible with every OS except old Mac OS's, though...

1.5 works fine on my laptop.. (which is a mac). I guess they didn't really fix all flaws with the linux version of FF.