• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

It’s been 13 years since I played Pokemon

Gundam78

I’ll... I’ll GET YOU!
Yeah for some reason... I want to dive back in to playing Pokémon . Loves Gen 1 thru 5 but 6,7,and 8 will have to grow on me. Nidoking and Tyranitar are my favorite Pokémon of all time! Last time I played Pokémon was back when Diamon first came out. Definitely want to do that again

First thing first... I need some advice on some hardware.

Nintendo 3DS XL vs 2DS XL

I’ve done my homework and on the web and I’m kinda torn... which handleheld system should I get... is the 3D really worth it?

And as far as getting a Rewarding Gen 1 experience.... I was gonna get a DS lite on eBay and get Leaf green for it.... but will I be able to transfer any leaf green Pokemon to the newer titles... it might be a deal breaker

One last question.... HG and SS sheesh are they really that expensive to acquire even second hand, I’ve seen platinum for $80 and I can stomach that but $350 for HGSS... eBay is smoking crack. What about the Gen 3 remakes? Same story?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Saluuuutations. I have answers.

The 3DS Question. Depends on how much your willing to pay for. If you want better sound quality and a good stylus from on-top or the side, not the bottom, get the regular or New 3DS XL. Although from my personal experience, the regular 3DS XL isn't as sturdy as it's other 3DS counterparts. The 2DS XL is good too and even looks more modern than it's 3DS counterpart but it's sound quality is okay and you have to pick it's short stylus from the bottom, not the top or side. As for the 3D itself. Nope. It's just a unnecessary bonus that I don't think a single game has ever made it into a necessity. Made good use of it? Yes. A necessity. Definitely no.

The transfer question. Yes but it's a bit harder to transport Gen 3 Pokemon all the way to Gen 7 that you have to plan it out. For example you can only transport 6 Pokemon at a time from Gen 3 to Gen to Gen 5 and I believe there is an annoying cooldown between transfers in Gen 3 to Gen 4.

Your talking about Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire? There around the 40 dollar price tag as they were originally.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Yeah for some reason... I want to dive back in to playing Pokémon . Loves Gen 1 thru 5 but 6,7,and 8 will have to grow on me. Nidoking and Tyranitar are my favorite Pokémon of all time! Last time I played Pokémon was back when Diamon first came out. Definitely want to do that again

First thing first... I need some advice on some hardware.

I’ve done my homework and on the web and I’m kinda torn... which handleheld system should I get... is the 3D really worth it?

And as far as getting a Rewarding Gen 1 experience.... I was gonna get a DS lite on eBay and get Leaf green for it.... but will I be able to transfer any leaf green Pokemon to the newer titles... it might be a deal breaker

One last question.... HG and SS sheesh are they really that expensive to acquire even second hand, I’ve seen platinum for $80 and I can stomach that but $350 for HGSS... eBay is smoking crack. What about the Gen 3 remakes? Same story?
Try waiting for them to come down in price again. I got HG for $37. But if I waited until now, I'd be waiting again. $60 is too much. Platinum for $80... I got it for $44 last summer via Gamestop. Do you have any good used game stores where you're at? Prices might be a bit saner for any of the games there (exception being for HG and SS).

Gundam78

I’ll... I’ll GET YOU!
Try waiting for them to come down in price again. I got HG for $37. But if I waited until now, I'd be waiting again. $60 is too much. Platinum for $80... I got it for $44 last summer via Gamestop. Do you have any good used game stores where you're at? Prices might be a bit saner for any of the games there (exception being for HG and SS).

Yeah... it’s plenty of third party game stores with in a 50 mile radius of Philly. I’ll definitely check them out. I just gotta make sure they’re not fakes

BCVM22

Get the 2DS XL if you're going to be using it chiefly for Pokémon. You'll miss only the barest minimum for not having the 3D.

but will I be able to transfer any leaf green Pokemon to the newer titles... it might be a deal breaker

You'll need two systems, a Generation V title and a Pokémon Bank subscription, but it can be done.

HG and SS sheesh are they really that expensive to acquire even second hand, I’ve seen platinum for $80 and I can stomach that but $350 for HGSS... eBay is smoking crack. What about the Gen 3 remakes? Same story?

The more out of date a game is, the more its secondary market is choked with obscenely exorbitant asking prices for secondhand merchandise, much of which is counterfeit (and oftenly badly so). My honest advice is... don't. When you filter the options by legitimate merchandise at a reasonable secondhand price, the odds are not in your favor. Probably not the answer you're looking for, but it is the truth.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Yeah... it’s plenty of third party game stores with in a 50 mile radius of Philly. I’ll definitely check them out. I just gotta make sure they’re not fakes
Cool. Hope it works out. Definitely. I took a picture of Platinum version (a legit copy (from a picture) -- both front and back) and brought it with me to compare it to the ones in store. It doesn't hurt.

Gundam78

I’ll... I’ll GET YOU!
So here’s an update

I scored a semi-mint condition DS Lite for $45. No scratches on shell or screens. There’s a flaw in the second screen where’s there a thin line going across the screen but it’s fully functional. But it wasn’t a problem buying it because the seller threw in a brand new replacement screen and Shell with brand new buttons if I choose to refurbish the handheld myself

And I picked up a legit copy of Pokémon platinum from GameStop.... $48 smh

That particular GameStop though had a brand new in the box version of Black version 2 for $31 in the used case. I should have gotten that but Platium was the rarest of two so I went with that. I’ll get black next weekend

I’m still looking for a legit copy of Leaf green or fire red. I’m scared to buy online so I’m going the Craigslist and Facebook market place route

So far so good... I added a 3DS to my Christmas list so I can get Omega Ruby and the like... hopefully I can get up to speed so I can migrate all my desirable Pokémon from gen 1-7 to 8. Due to my profession I spend many nights in hotel rooms so I think can Get it done in a month or 3 lol