• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

It is Time for Litten to Set Off!! (964)

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
As much as I don't like the Sun & Moon series as a whole, I do have to at least praise this episode for being one of the extremely rare times the main anime has ever dealt with death. It's usually something that isn't addressed in kid-appealing shows, but here I think the anime staff handled it well with Stoutland.

Also, welcome to the team, Litten! Now the question will be if it's him or Rowlet that will be Ash's evolving Alola starter.

I do applaud them for not shying away from the concept, but I'd say that the borrowing from the Lion King did pull me out of the moment quite harshly. I mean how can it not? Everything with the rain and the greytone taking over the episode was done very nicely. Also, I remember a few people really complaining about Team Rocket being in the VA-list. And look at that, not only were they barely in it, but Meowth played a good role for once.

Okay, Ash got Litten as expected. And... did Stoutland really die?!

They went full Lion King on us with Stoutland's face appearing as a cloud as the rain parted. Heck, during the hospital scene, Nurse Joy even shook her head towards Ash.Edit: Ninja'd.

Besides, Serebii confirmed it on Litten's bioblurb.

imo, they could have made litten grieve for a few more episodes (despite being caught by ash) and meowth singing kind of ruined the moment, but, nonetheless, it's definetly the best episode so far, really emotional, especially the tree's leaves falling as stoutland grew weaker.

lol that'd be great
It's a shame we don't have a meerkat pokemon to sing hakuna matata

Not a Meerkat, but we did have a cat singing.. Though I missed that part apparently.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Isn't Watchog and Patrat at least partially based off Meerkats

Well, now I'm worried about how the dub is going to handle this episode since they refuse to even mention death in the series

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Well, now I'm worried about how the dub is going to handle this episode since they refuse to even mention death in the series

I keep thinking that Disney has been OK with death but then I remember they just air it, it's TPCi that does the dubbing.

Xuxuba

yeah i suppose so, but didn't they mention that old lady died back in the espurr episode? can't remember

Yeah...I mean everything was leading up to it, with Nurse Joy shaking her head, leaves falling, Stoutland in the clouds...

I guess they couldn't show the dead body or something like that but it's heavily implied that Stoutland crossed rainbow road.

it's a little bit disturbing that we don't know where stoutland's body is though.

like, it could've been eaten by wild rattatas for all we know.

Isn't Watchog and Patrat at least partially based off Meerkats
dunno
it looks like a chipmunk on drugs to me

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
it's a little bit disturbing that we don't know where stoutland's body is though.

like, it could've been eaten by wild rattatas for all we know.

You know how Stoutland was in the clouds? That wasn't the only Lion King reference.

NPT

Just a member

The dub will probably keep the death reference, but ruin the emotional impact with sub-par voice acting and terrible music replacements.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
The dub will probably keep the death reference, but ruin the emotional impact with sub-par voice acting and terrible music replacements.

Nah it won't be that b...

*thinks back to Greninja departure*

yeah you're probably right.

Xuxuba

well, at least they'll probably remove meowth's singing

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Speaking of Meowth, I really like how they handled Team Rocket this episode, with Meowth showing genuine concern for Litten, Bewear not choking Meowth and merely providing comfort, James and Jessie looking somberly on and just generally not interfering with the plot.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm kind of a little confused about what happened to Stoutland's body. I know that Stoutland died, but how can it just completely disappear like that?

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y

I have the same concern as you, considering TPCi often butch up nearly everything with their dubs (such as the infamous music replacement). My guess is this episode's dub will just mention Stoutland's death as "Stoutland has gone" or something very less dramatic.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Phew! What an emotional episode. Stoutland dying was really sad and heartbreaking, but emotional moments were shown brilliantly(just like an emotional movie)! Litten managed to get out of the depression by seeing Stoutland's image in the sky and Ash and his Pokemon's encouragement. Litten ultimately managed to learn Fire Fang(which Stoutland was repeatedly tried to teach him), battled Ash and ultimately became a part of Ash's team!!!! Great episode, 9.5/10(Not giving full marks because I'm still a little sad over Stoutland's death xD).

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I have the same concern as you, considering TPCi often butch up nearly everything with their dubs (such as the infamous music replacement). My guess is this episode's dub will just mention Stoutland's death as "Stoutland has gone" or something very less dramatic.

That makes sense. Given the fact that Stoutland's body just magically disappeared, I can see the dub reworking its death as if it left/abandoned Litten partly because it can't properly train him anymore, & partly because it's so old and brittle that Stoutland doesn't want Litten to be around when it eventually does die

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Another episode I've been waiting for that I was really saving my hype for!! Let's get it!!!!

-It's crazy on how fate had their meeting start by the drop of a bagel

-The old man is teaching a young cat new tricks. That attack move was pretty intensifying.

-Ash has a new Pokémon to hit him with Fire type moves to the face. I'm glad the old Stoutland scolded at it.

-Ok now that was funny!!! :D:D

-The big dog is too heavy for him to carry. And Meowth is watching them. Oh dear... I'm not sure what's going to happen but I have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. :(

-Good touch of Ash informing Kukui at the recent event

-That Mufasa reference...

-Litten is being vicious in battle!!!

-Ash catches Litten!!!!!!!!! :)

This was... really touching. The old Stoutland passed away, I'm relieved Litten didn't stumble upon his body like it thought it would in its nightmare, and it just had another dream where it couldn't get to the old guy. Stoutland trained Litten til the end and passed on into the clouds... like Mufasa. Ash and Pikachu watching patiently and being there for Litten really had it open up to them. Even Meowth didn't have a dry eye in sight. Ash can carry the torch in training Litten how to learn a move and getting stronger. The segment of Stoutland's passing was beautifully depressing, it made me feel for Litten. At least that nod that they shared meant that Stoutland will always be watching Litten. :( What a coincidence that it's raining as I was watching this episode, and it still is. :(

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
The raining scenes and Ash and Kukui holding umbrellas was what made Stoutland's death more emotional, sad and heartbreaking. I almost choked up on that point of the episode. T_T

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
So Ash finally catches Litten! (Now all the speculation will stop, thank Arceus.)

As for the episode, was pretty touching I must admit. Even though Stoutland was sick/dying, it still tried to mentor and teach Litten how execute Fire Fang (I also like how they showed a few flashbacks at first). Am I mistaken, or did Ash really carry old Stoutland all the way to the Pokemon Center? It sure looked that way tbh. Litten has another nightmare, which in end...were confirmed I guess. It was also pretty sad as Litten goes to the all areas where Stoutland was, then crying/screaming in the rain. :( However, Ash being Ash, keeps a watch over Litten the whole time, bringing it food and such. I liked the battle they have (Pikachu vs Litten), and Ash captures Litten afterword. Meowth's role in this episode (shadowing the situation the whole time) was cool too.

What a coincidence that it's raining as I was watching this episode, and it still is. :(
Same here for me, it's raining and windy as heck where I'm at too. :(