• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

It is Time for Litten to Set Off!! (964)

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
It just seems... fitting, for the situation in the episode it was used in. [sub]Am I making any sense?[/SUB]

Of course you are. Sad scenes need sad music, after all.

By the way, the emotion of this episode reached the dubbers, too. Sarah Natochenny and Lisa Ortiz started up an animal rescue organization because of this episode.

GiddyupGal

smarter than i usually act
this was the first episode of pokemon to bring tears to my eyes in a long time. i was so certain they wouldn't go through with it until i saw the first leaf fall from the tree and then my heart sank because i knew what was going to happen.

Ryu Taylor

this was the first episode of pokemon to bring tears to my eyes in a long time. i was so certain they wouldn't go through with it until i saw the first leaf fall from the tree and then my heart sank because i knew what was going to happen.

I think most did since SM016. It still had a strong effect, though.

By the way, what language are you watching the saga in?

Ryu Taylor

Does it really matter what language we like to watch it in?

No it doesn't matter. I still like to ask, anyway, since I'm interested in all sorts of International versions of this show (except its pitiful original self, that is, but that's already been established).

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
No it doesn't matter. I still like to ask, anyway, since I'm interested in all sorts of International versions of this show (except its pitiful original self, that is, but that's already been established).

Given the series director is involved with the production of the series on not only the story and animation level, but the creation of the soundtrack--including the placement of music, sound effects and the directing of voice actors--yes, it is important what you are watching. Unless you just don't care about the hardworking creators of a series, in that case I don't know why you'd bother coming onto the internet to learn about and discuss your consumption of art.

Ryu Taylor

Given the series director is involved with the production of the series on not only the story and animation level, but the creation of the soundtrack--including the placement of music, sound effects and the directing of voice actors--yes, it is important what you are watching. Unless you just don't care about the hardworking creators of a series, in that case I don't know why you'd bother coming onto the internet to learn about and discuss your consumption of art.

No offense, but this seems like yet another destined-to-fail sales pitch for the JP version. The only people on the JP staff who work hard are the animators; the most important people. I can't find any other hard workers on that version's staff, and I've looked lots of times. And even if they all worked really hard, it still wouldn't save the JP version from being the complete disaster it's been for 20 years and counting. It dug its grave and will always eternally sleep in it.

Ryu Taylor

i watch the english and japanese versions. i use the japanese version to stay current and the english version to understand what's being said.

I see. That's a common approach lots do (and I tried that once). I hope you keep enjoying it.

Leonhart

Imagineer

I would've felt much sadder if we had known Mooland longer, but he was practically an enigma, so his death seemed pretty non-eventful to me.

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director
My nephew was over the other day and I decided to show him this episode in English. I have never been a fan if the dub ever since they started changing the music and using their own themes but I wanted to judge this episode for myself hoping I would have been plesantly surprised. Well, I was not.

The dub completely mutilated this episode. The diolugue was pretty good and the voice acting has been really good as well, my main issue is the music used. My god, the musical selection in this episode was terrible. It’s like they didn’t even try. Now, I’m not saying all of the dub music was bad this episode but when Litten was looking for Stoutland, the music they used did not fit the mood. What were they thinking? If you’re gonna change the music, you couldn’t at least come up with a theme that conveys sadness more. Are you kidding me?

Besides that, I did not get the slightest bit of sadness in this episode while watching it in the dub. They could have done so much better with this episode and they failed miserably.

This episode in the dub was such a let down from beginning to end and I regret even watching it in the first place. I’m so disappointed now.

Ryu Taylor

My nephew was over the other day and I decided to show him this episode in English. I have never been a fan if the dub ever since they started changing the music and using their own themes but I wanted to judge this episode for myself hoping I would have been plesantly surprised. Well, I was not.

The dub completely mutilated this episode. The diolugue was pretty good and the voice acting has been really good as well, my main issue is the music used. My god, the musical selection in this episode was terrible. It’s like they didn’t even try. Now, I’m not saying all of the dub music was bad this episode but when Litten was looking for Stoutland, the music they used did not fit the mood. What were they thinking? If you’re gonna change the music, you couldn’t at least come up with a theme that conveys sadness more. Are you kidding me?

Besides that, I did not get the slightest bit of sadness in this episode while watching it in the dub. They could have done so much better with this episode and they failed miserably.

This episode in the dub was such a let down from beginning to end and I regret even watching it in the first place. I’m so disappointed now.

How does sad music not fit sad scenes? Is it only because someone other than personnel from OLM's music department composed it? I can somewhat understand a concern for the music playing over the searching scene, but as for the track that starts up on the cliff scene and ends at the realization scene, I don't see any problem. Even more so with that incredibly heartfelt piece playing over the entire sequence of Ash and friends keeping vigil over Litten (a sequence whose original JP self did something so malevolent that it alone could justify the JP version's place in the most lethally cold section of my heart; I'm sure you know what I mean).

I'm just confused is all.

(I'm sure there's a rule against double-posting, so I'll put this separate thought below this break.)

Looking back, I don't think I've ever shown such wrath toward a JP episode on these forums as I did to this one. But I don't see how I was wrong to say any of that. It really did piss me off that royally, and I deserved revenge for that and got it. It doesn't get to just get away with sociopathically insulting human emotion and utterly disrespecting the tragedy of this episode like it did. **** it and the horse it rode in on.

Sheesh, even the simple act of remembering this episode's JP self set me off...

Last edited:

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director
How does sad music not fit sad scenes? Is it only because someone other than personnel from OLM's music department composed it? I can somewhat understand a concern for the music playing over the searching scene, but as for the track that starts up on the cliff scene and ends at the realization scene, I don't see any problem. Even more so with that incredibly heartfelt piece playing over the entire sequence of Ash and friends keeping vigil over Litten (a sequence whose original JP self did something so malevolent that it alone could justify the JP version's place in the most lethally cold section of my heart; I'm sure you know what I mean).

I'm just confused is all.

(I'm sure there's a rule against double-posting, so I'll put this separate thought below this break.)

Looking back, I don't think I've ever shown such wrath toward a JP episode on these forums as I did to this one. But I don't see how I was wrong to say any of that. It really did piss me off that royally, and I deserved revenge for that and got it. It doesn't get to just get away with sociopathically insulting human emotion and utterly disrespecting the tragedy of this episode like it did. **** it and the horse it rode in on.

Sheese, even the simple act of remembering this episode's JP self set me off...

You claim this is the only episode to ever infuriate you but yet you are always trashing the sub in pretty much every single post on here... hmmm go figure

Maybe that’s because the music was not sad in the slightest bit. When Litten was searching for Stoutland, they used this upbeat search and find music and that just ruined the whole episode for me. It was not fitting for what was happening in the episode. I had high hopes for this episode after watching it in the sub and it was nothing more than a letdown.

Ryu Taylor

You claim this is the only episode to ever infuriate you but yet you are always trashing the sub in pretty much every single post on here... hmmm go figure

Maybe that’s because the music was not sad in the slightest bit. When Litten was searching for Stoutland, they used this upbeat search and find music and that just ruined the whole episode for me. It was not fitting for what was happening in the episode. I had high hopes for this episode after watching it in the sub and it was nothing more than a letdown.

I never said this is the only episode whose JP self pissed me off. It's just that this particular one's JP self went beyond simply doing that and brought out a desire for its blood.

Also, what about the other tracks I mentioned (the actual sad and emotional stuff)? That was the crux of my question. And mind you, I'm not angry about any of this; I'm only confused (you might be feeling the same about my feelings on this same episode).

Last edited:

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
I don’t feel think the music used in the dub was that bad. It’s definitely nowhere near as good as the music the sub used, imho, but I don’t think it was bad. Honestly, the dub isn’t really that bad. I’d still take TCPI over 4Kids and their crappy edits anyday.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Victorian Rush said:
I don’t feel think the music used in the dub was that bad. It’s definitely nowhere near as good as the music the sub used, imho, but I don’t think it was bad. Honestly, the dub isn’t really that bad. I’d still take TCPI over 4Kids and their crappy edits anyday.

The dubbed version's choices of music for the sad scenes in this episode were fine since the tracks still invoked a melancholy feel fitting for Nyabby's situation, although in some instances among certain fans it seems as if lately SM's dub soundtrack is often praised simply to spite the original score.