• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

It looks to be a clear day outside~ (OU)

M4zz

Banned
.::Team at a Glance::.​

637.png
385.png
205.png
593.png
149.png
534.png

I really wanted to base a team around a Volcarona, but I absolutely loathe Ninetails. I knew what would be needed on the team, and so, my teambuiling process came together.​

637.png

As mentioned, Volcarona was the target to the build. Rapid Spin support will be needed, and some bulk on the team too. Volcarona is also walled beyond the moon by Blissey and Chansey. Volcarona might appreciate some entry Hazard support too, just to make some sweeps easier.​

637.png
385.png
205.png

Because Rapid Spin and Entry Hazard support will be so desired, I chose Jirachi and Forretress to lay down all three types of Entry Hazards and Spin the ones on my part of the field away. Jirachi also supports Volcaroa through the art of Paralysis, as it will help slow up some major threats, leaving way for Volcarona to outspeed primarily anything after one or two boosts.​

637.png
385.png
205.png
593.png

Fire Types and Ground Types look like they could pretty much run rampant with what I have here. Because Volcarona and Heatran are quite common these days, I've decided to invest in a Jellicent. The ability to shut down basically whatever Fire Type shows it's ugly mug around my team and spinblock makes it a great partner for the team.​

637.png
385.png
205.png
593.png
149.png

Unfortunately, Jellicent is my only solve to Fire Types and Ground Types, without it, I'm back at square one. I also lack a solid way to hit the mentioned Blissey and Chansey. So, I added Dragonite. It has great natural bulk, thus adding to the bulk of the team, and some great offensive punch.​

637.png
385.png
205.png
593.png
149.png
534.png

Looking fairly solid right now, I decided to add Conkeldurr. It gives me a form of Priority to pick off weakened opponents, and a way to set up some great defensive bulk. Rock Types cause Dragonite and Volcarona some problems, so adding the Conkeldurr seems like a good move.

637.png

Volcarona (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Rock]​

Chosing Volcarona wasn't the only reasoning behind putting one on my team. It's tremendous Special and Speed stats after a single boost were what really captured my heart. I chose the Life Orb set, as I wanted this thing to hit very hard and fast. Quiver Dance is the mentioned crux of the set, maintaining the moth's power, Speed, and Special Bulk. Fiery Dance and Bug Buzz provide great dual STAB, both having the chance to boost his sweeping capabilities; the raise in Special Attack or lowering of the opponent's Special Defense respectively. Hidden Power Rock is my coverage move, hitting Gyarados, opposing Volcarona, and the odd Fire Type not named Infernape or Heatran.​

385.png

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Stealth Rock​

Jirachi is mainly here to provide the team some bulk and Stealth Rock. I'm not fond of it, or how it's used in today's metagame, but it works, and provides me with wins. The Paraflinch strategy is indeed a simple strategy that anyone can screw a team with, and no detail should be needed to explain what it does. You all know. Wish keeps the entire team, not just my sweepers, with a great amount of HP at their disposal, keeping the team alive longer. I've won matches and lost them just due to the prevailence of Entry Hazards, so I will be running Stealth Rock on Jirachi.​

205.png

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
-Gyro Ball

Ah Forretress. Only you could do the job you do. I took an unorthodox apporach and decided to run both Toxic and Regular Spikes to complete the triad of Entry Hazards, thus make whatever sweeping needed oh so much more easier. Rapi Spin keeps things such as Volcarona and Dragonite healthy on the switch-in, making their lives easier. Earthquake's my attacking move, but I'm not sure if this should be changed to the likes of Gyro Ball just because of his low attack.
593.png

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Taunt​

Jellicent's main two roles are to prevent all the "hard work" by Jirachi and Forretress from being undone by Rapid Spin, and two, keep Fire Types at bay. He does these two jobs amazingly well. The four common spinners in today's metagmae are Donphan, Starmie, Forretress and Tentacruel, and Jellicent shuts down three of them completely. Scald shuts down any Physical Sweeper that dares switch in to it, bar those that have the guts ability, and provides some nice STAB. Toxic poisons anything that levitates or is not hit by Toxic Spikes. Recover keeps his HP up when not being passed a wish, and Taunt shuts down the likes of Ferrothorn from setting up and other slow setup Pokemon.​

149.png

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed​

In Fourth Generation, I hated Dragonite. He was fairly difficult to use, as without a spinner, his usefulness was shot down. Now that he carries Multiscale, and I regularly carry both a spinner and wish passer, his use has become so much more of a better experience. Becuase of his natural bulk, Jirachi's ability to spread Paralysis and my choice of spinner, I'm running the Choice Band set, as it allows to hit hard before it has to take hits. I'm opting with Waterfall over Fire Punch just because Rain Teams are far more common than Sun Teams, and it thus greatly allows the Dragon to carry an attack that won't be as heavily burdened by the environmental factors of today's metagame. Earthquake hits the Steel Types that resist his three other moves and provides a strong hit. Outrage is STAB, and backed by a + 538 Attack stat, is very powerful. Extremespeed allows Dragonite to come in and pick off easy kills.​

534.png

Conkeldurr (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge​

Probably the filler of the team, Conkledurr does what Forretress and Dragonite do over a set amounts of turns, being very defensive physically, and physically hitting tremendously hard. It's a standard Conkeldurr set, and I run Stone Edge over Payback, as they hit basically the sma ething with the same power, except Stone Edge creates better coverage than Payback alongside the two fighting moves. Start him by bringing his attack and defense up with Bulk Up, then hit with Drain Punch or Mach Punch, whichever is more suitable. Shell Bell was replaced for the Flame Orb to instantly activate the Guts Boost, and has been working very well. Drain Punch makes for boosted HP recovery, and Mach Punch is great for picking things off at my leisure. I wouldn't mind seeing a mixed or another special attacker take his place, as Defesnive Walls can really break the team down.

And there it is. Any changes that should be made?​

EDIT 1 [DEC 19, 2011 @ 18:38PM SMT]: Gave Conkeldurr Flame Orb over Shell Bell
EDIT 2 [DEC 19, 2011 @ 21:36PM SMT]: Fixed Forretress' Nature and IVs. Swapped Earthquake for Gyro Ball

Last edited:

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
just one thing. If your gonna carry a conkeldurr with guts give it a flame orb not shell bell. It pratically doubles its attack and makes it as usefull as hell.

M4zz

Banned
just one thing. If your gonna carry a conkeldurr with guts give it a flame orb not shell bell. It pratically doubles its attack and makes it as usefull as hell.

Good point. I figure I'd rather a slight burn that being toxic'd.

Usatoday

Eternal God
On volcarona i would go with hp ground for heatran

M4zz

Banned
On volcarona i would go with hp ground for heatran

The big risk with HP Ground is Gyarados, which I do not have a reliable check to. Sure I can stall it out, but thats about it. HP Rock at least lets me hit it super-effectively. Conkeldurr deals with Heatran beautifully as it is.

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
I'm guessing its a mistake but your Forretress has a hardy nature. you should make it relaxed and 0 speed IV's so if you put gyro ball over EQ it will hit harder.

M4zz

Banned
I'm guessing its a mistake but your Forretress has a hardy nature. you should make it relaxed and 0 speed IV's so if you put gyro ball over EQ it will hit harder.

That would yes, be a mistake. As I figured, Gyro Ball is a better idea.

M4zz

Banned
maybe you can try Chestro-Rest on Volc.

I've used the Chesto-Rest set before, and trust me, not nearly effective as this one. Because I can pass Wishes and Spin Rocks, I don't have to worry about needing to use Volcarona to heal as is.

Last edited:

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
The team is decent, but very weak to Electric types, especially Magnezone. It would take no effort for it to destroy your Jirachi and Forretress, and nothing in your team can switch into its Thunderbolt without some hard damage.

M4zz

Banned
The team is decent, but very weak to Electric types, especially Magnezone. It would take no effort for it to destroy your Jirachi and Forretress, and nothing in your team can switch into its Thunderbolt without some hard damage.

Okay. Very good point, but which Ground type lets say is going to fit onto the team outside Swampert and Gastrodon, as they can run Special sets, something my team needs, and what for?

M4zz

Banned
Payback over Stone Edge on Conkeldurr and give it 0 Spd IVs. Good Luck bro!

The reasoning I had above should prove to you that Payback in itself compared to Stone Edge after a Guts boost is basically impractical. No Psychic type, maybe bar Claydol, and definitely no Ghost Type will take a +1 Guts Boosted Stone Edge. Not much does outside of Terrakion and other bulky Fighting Types. Why would you recommend Payback over Stone Edge anyways?

-Zane-

Champion
Flame Orb Conk is lame, just put lefties there. The guy already packs one hell of a punch and otherwise you'll just be worn out every time you throw it in especialy in the sand and the fact that its not that hard to counter. Also put Payback on conk. You wont need the gyarados counter after you change Jellicent to a bulky Rotom W (112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe) with Volt Switch/Thunderbolt - Hydro Pump - Wil o Wisp - Pain Split. GL HF

spuds4ever

Flame Orb Conk is lame, just put lefties there. The guy already packs one hell of a punch and otherwise you'll just be worn out every time you throw it in especialy in the sand and the fact that its not that hard to counter. Also put Payback on conk. You wont need the gyarados counter after you change Jellicent to a bulky Rotom W (112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe) with Volt Switch/Thunderbolt - Hydro Pump - Wil o Wisp - Pain Split. GL HF

Ummm... He has drain punch? And the 1.5 boost to his attack easily outdoes the 1/8th HP loss every turn. A good point on magnezone earlier though and virtually anything that has volt-switch. I would probably drop Jellicent in favour of Gastrodon or swampert seeing as hazards aren't too important to your team and spinners are pretty rare these days and jellicent dosen't wall Stamie with no sp. def EVs anyway.

M4zz

Banned
Ummm... He has drain punch? And the 1.5 boost to his attack easily outdoes the 1/8th HP loss every turn. A good point on magnezone earlier though and virtually anything that has volt-switch. I would probably drop Jellicent in favour of Gastrodon or swampert seeing as hazards aren't too important to your team and spinners are pretty rare these days and jellicent dosen't wall Stamie with no sp. def EVs anyway.

Finally, a somewhat decent rate...

Seeing that, and that Jellicent really hasn't had to spinblock, I'll take you up on the Swampert. I think I'll attempt a Sp.A one.

Thanks for the rate.