• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

It's a dog's life

Are there any characters in the pokemon anime that you can't help feel a little sorry for? Be it 'cos they had very little screentime, or 'cos they spent most of what screentime they had getting their *** kicked. For me it's Tracy's Venonat. Those of you who have only been following the show since Johto could be forgiven for forgeting that Tracy even had a Venonat. The poor thing was overshadowed by both Marril and Scyther. The former 'cos it was a gen II pokemon, and the latter 'cos it was Tracy's primary battler. And it's not just Tracy's Venonat, it's the species as a whole. Since it's debut 12 years ago, Venonat has appeared in just 8 episodes - not including appearences of Tracy's Venonat beyond it's debut - which is kind of a small number compared with some other pokemon.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Hmm...Venonat was a Pokemon radar while it lasted....at least it was useful, right?

inb4porygon/2/z

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Brock's Geodude. It appeared in many episodes (relatively) but we hardly saw it doing something important in most of them. Brock has used his Onix more because it also a Rock type pokemon, maybe because of it his Geodude almost didn't nothing with him. In seasons 3-5 it usually appeared only when all the pokemon were eating.

Marzillius

Team Rocket, because they unrealistically keeps getting their *** kicked. But well, this is a stupid kids show, so the bad guys are never supposed to get anything right. They are supposed to live in the dust and keep getting electrified and blasted off by the sadistic maniacs that are Ash & Co.

Pokémon that has very few appearences are as you say Venonat. I also feel kinda sorry for all the Team Rocket Pokémon. They appear in almost all episodes, but it's always Team Rocket's. I think no trainer other tha Jessie or James has had them so far. They are basically painted out as "evil" Pokémon.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Brock. Not only are his attempts to find a lady in his life always foiled by his company, on the rare occasion they aren't, they fall flat anyway, and his friends just laugh at him. It was particularly horrid during one episode in which May defeated Brock in a contest, then after leaving him to first deal with the disappointment of defeat, and then being shrugged off by who he was doing it for, May just laughed in his face. WHAT KIND OF FRIEND ARE YOU, MAY?!? Gosh.

And then, there's meowth. He's worked harder than even Brock has to pursue love, and has suffered more than all the show's heroes put together, maybe even more than his comerades (James at least), but Ash sees fit to order his pokemon to oblitherate him at any opportunity. Really, even if he's doing nothing, he decides that he MUST BE PUNISHED.

I really would have liked to see either one of the aforementioned characters give sceptile a talk to help him through his depressed phase, for it is them who would really have the experience needed to relate to the pokemon. But no, the anime had to go for the cheap, screw my problems, my friends are in trouble! solution.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Misty's Horsea was just totally redundant for most of its run, with only a couple of moments showing off its initiative (one example being the Stone Town episode when it used its Sludge to leave a trail for the gang) but for the most part it was passed over for Staryu, Starmie and Psyduck... Goldeen is an even worse example of this.

BlueVapor

All of Misty's Pokemon not named Psyduck.

All of Brock's Pokemon not named Croagunk.

Tracey in general.

This. At times I honestly forgot Misty had some of her Pokemon still with her in Johto (Goldeen). Her Pokemon really could've done with more appearances.

Poor Tracey was only around for like 35-36 episodes, and now we barely see him. And, his character was pretty boring, along with his Pokemon. A big mess, if you ask me.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
I've always felt sorry not for JJ&M, but for their Pokemon. They get good send-offs, but holy cow do they take a lot of abuse up to that point. Mime Jr. gets it the worst, considering how it hardly ever battles and still gets blasted frequently.

Note that I don't feel one bit of remorse for Brock. Not in love, not in screentime, not even in lack of Pokemon. He needs to deserve those merits, and he hasn't really done much to deserve them since Kanto.

Thriller

Its almost time
Aw man, I was kind-of expecting this topic to be about this.

Anyway, I always felt sorry for Jessie's Lickitung & James's Victreebell before Johto. Both were captured halfway through the Kanto saga but didn't get so much as a breath of fresh air until the Indigo Conference (in Victreebel's case).

Profesco

gone gently
Note that I don't feel one bit of remorse for Brock. Not in love, not in screentime, not even in lack of Pokemon. He needs to deserve those merits, and he hasn't really done much to deserve them since Kanto.

That's crazy. Brock deserves some love success, at least. He tries for it almost every episode! Flowers, poetry, the down-on-one-knee stance, unrelenting flattery... All things he does for various women, and to absolutely no effect. Plus, he's a supporter and provider to the rest of the main cast - that totally earns him some lovable points. Any woman would be lucky to catch him!

Otherwise, yeah, it would be great if the writers gave him some attention to make him a little more worthwhile.

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
That's crazy. Brock deserves some love success, at least. He tries for it almost every episode! Flowers, poetry, the down-on-one-knee stance, unrelenting flattery... All things he does for various women, and to absolutely no effect. Plus, he's a supporter and provider to the rest of the main cast - that totally earns him some lovable points. Any woman would be lucky to catch him!

Otherwise, yeah, it would be great if the writers gave him some attention to make him a little more worthwhile.
Sense when was Profeso Brock? Just kidding, you know you're sexy.

I have to say I feel bad for Marley. She only got one episode and I honestly think she deserved a second.

Yoshifan22

not a fan?
How Ash never brings out his origional Charizard/squirtle and bulbasaur ( if they evolved then they're evolved stages) earier they did.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I also feel kinda sorry for all the Team Rocket Pokémon. They appear in almost all episodes, but it's always Team Rocket's. I think no trainer other tha Jessie or James has had them so far. They are basically painted out as "evil" Pokémon.

There is Lucy's seviper. All the same, it is rather sad to see seviper take a beating from its rival species, made mandatory by the Jessie-can't-win clause.

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
With the exception of one or two trainers, most of the time, fighting types in general are painted as 'bad'. (This is especially true of my favorite, Hitmonchan. Other than Anthony and Kiyo(?), they're usually used by villians.) I LOVE fighting types. Always have. Same with Tentacruel. Always as villans. C'mon, writers! Show those squids some love!

Also, I had no clue that TR don't use Arbok/Wheezing anymore. What happened to them? (I've not watched the cartoon in YEARS! In truth, it gets on my last nerve, now. I have to mute it and listen to music. Though I would like to see an epsiode with Medicham in it. I want to know what they sound like.)

I always felt sorry for TR's Meowth. I remember watching ep. "Go West, Young Meowth!" again after close to a decade and freaking out. People were really rough on that poor ol' kitteh. Especially those kids binding him up in that tree. If I saw that, I would of beat those people down, not even sending my 'chan out to do my dirty work. Then, I would've took Meowth home with me. (I can't stand to see an animal be mistreated. Goes all over me.) Even worse when he meets Meowsie. He goes through all that of learning to talk and stand, and she STILL doesn't want him! What kind of crap is that? What's more, is when he comes to her rescue all those years later, she STILL doesn't want him, and calls him a 'freak', on top of it all. Don't listen to her, Meowth! We're all freaks, in our own right.

Whoo! Had me a bit of a rant there!

~Nemmeh ;107;

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I feel sorry for Pikachu. It seems like it's life was easier while it was at Oak's lab all snug in it's little Pokeball. Once it met Ash, everything went downhill almost. It was chased by Spearow and it almost died protecting Ash who couldn't protect himself or his Pokemon. Then it gets chased all around the world by Team Rocket and it never seems to have a moment of peace what with Team Rocket's attacks, having to take care of Togepi during most of the Orange Islands/Johto, and battling. Then it gets weaker at the start of every saga which has to hurt it's ego. I feel bad for it from the bottom of my heart. Watching it suffer almost makes me want to join PETA ;_;

Last edited:

Maetch

Also, I had no clue that TR don't use Arbok/Wheezing anymore. What happened to them?

It was early on in the Hoenn seasons, "A Poached Ego!". The TRio crossed paths with a Pokemon poacher who was hoarding Koffing and Ekans. Out of a desire to protect their own kind, Arbok and Weezing left with them after they were freed.

cazatron

nidorino i don't think has ever had an episode to itself. even though it along with gengar were the two very first pokemon to ever be created.
also ivysaur is way under-used. usually it shares episodes like the referee episode where the kid had charmeleon, wartortle and ivysaur, as well as the mysterious garden where it shared the episode with bulbasar and venusaur

Lunanight

I feel sorry for paul's ninjask as it was shown in ONE flashback, not an episode: a FLASHBACK.

it has never been seen after that flashback, I guess paul figured out how pathetic ninjask truely is: its fast and can have swords dance + its ability but that is all it is good for.

niedude

Don't forget to grin
Qwuilfish has yet to appear for more than a few seconds, am I right?

But for some reason I don't feel sorry for it. I do feel sorry for Brocks and Misty's pokemon, but the main place winner is Pidgeot. Ash's Pidgeot, if you didn't get it at first.

The only reason Ash's Butterfree isn0t in the top is because it had the best Bye Bye episode ever. Boy how I cry every time I watch it.