• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

It's an Outbreak-chu! The Pikachu Valley!! (1034)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I’m glad to see that Ash did not forget about Volt Tackle since his Pikachu did learn it at one point in the anime before it was replaced by Electro Ball I still have no idea what the writers were thinking when they did that.

Given how easily Pikachu stopped it with electroweb, only makes getting rid of the move better imo, I mean VT was impressive at first, but when it got a point where all someone had to do to counter it was sidestep it (or in some cases straight up block it), it needed to go.

The only thing I call foul on in this episode is Kiawe not going crazy when TR used their Z-move, you'd think after all the stuff he's put Ash through, seeing bad guys use them would set him off.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Given how easily Pikachu stopped it with electroweb, only makes getting rid of the move better imo, I mean VT was impressive at first, but when it got a point where all someone had to do to counter it was sidestep it (or in some cases straight up block it), it needed to go.

The only thing I call foul on in this episode is Kiawe not going crazy when TR used their Z-move, you'd think after all the stuff he's put Ash through, seeing bad guys use them would set him off.
"These Kantoians just come barging in & taking our Z Rings"

xEryChan

Demon Child
I forgot to mention that Jessie trying to hold Mimkyu’s Z-move as long as she could was hilarious to me. You could see she was struggling and that is what made it funny to me.

It’s more along the lines of them replacing it with Electro Ball, which is one of the weakest electric type moves. The replaced one of Pikachu’s strongest electric moves with one of the weakest. If they wanted to get rid of volt tackle, they could have given Pikachu a stronger electric type attack?

I never even thought about that last part until you said it. Thinking back to the Detective Rotom episode. When Ash first lost the Electrium Z, he was willing to use his Z move on Ash. I’m kind of surprised he did not angry over seeing TR using a Z move.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
It’s more along the lines of them replacing it with Electro Ball, which is one of the weakest electric type moves. The replaced one of Pikachu’s strongest electric moves with one of the weakest. If they wanted to get rid of volt tackle, they could have given Pikachu a stronger electric type attack?
I’m not a fan of Electro Ball either but the move is weak depending on what Pokémon uses it. Pikachu is naturally fast so it actually makes Electro Ball a lot stronger.

Besides it’s better than going from Volt Tackle to Wild Charge. The latter is just a weaker, carbon copy and would have been more lame. Electro Ball at least tries to be different.

DatsRight

I can see why they went for Electro Web over just giving him back Volt Tackle since Electro Web is a more tactical move that allows Ash and Pikachu to look more cunning. It's even less harmful than Electro Ball but it has practicality, which has been a recurring focus in SM against just raw power.

I admit I would have preferred one of Sophocles' Pokemon to learn it however, though maybe Pikachu could teach one of them for the best of both worlds.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I normally don't like SM's kind of humor but today it's been top-notch. I went to the episode without expectations but I'm surprised with how good it turned out to be.

Poor Pikachu, he won the game of war but lost the one of love... Well, guess that was expected although a better closure would be Kurin just going for other Pikachu.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I’m not a fan of Electro Ball either but the move is weak depending on what Pokémon uses it. Pikachu is naturally fast so it actually makes Electro Ball a lot stronger.

Besides it’s better than going from Volt Tackle to Wild Charge. The latter is just a weaker, carbon copy and would have been more lame. Electro Ball at least tries to be different.
if by different you mean pretty much just spherical thunderbolt
Anyways, barely watched a few scenes (pikachu vs elvischu and the ending) and I'm already annoyed by the pika, though I may watch it later on with subs

Almighty Zard

He has returned.

Since when has this show ever cared about the strength of moves?

We've seen Dragon Rage, a set damage move cause severe damage and in one instance KO a pokemon, and Icy Wind which is supposed to be weak, block a Heat Wave that is stronger than Flamethrower.

Volt Tackle might have been powerful, but overtime it became more of a problem for Pikachu than helpful, since pokemon started blocking it with ease (like Metagross and Magmar), or as mentioned above, would simply dodge or sidestep (Dewott), allowing Pikachu's momentum to run past them since it couldn't turn well when using it.

After Zekrom's power sap at the start of unova it was definitely time for the move to go.

I never even thought about that last part until you said it. Thinking back to the Detective Rotom episode. When Ash first lost the Electrium Z, he was willing to use his Z move on Ash. I’m kind of surprised he did not angry over seeing TR using a Z move.

You'd think given his opinion about the sacredness of Z-moves, that seeing thieves use one would set him off and demand to know where they got their Z-ring from.

I'm hoping that plot point gets brought up in a future episode, because after his big speech in episode 2, giving TR a ring contradicts what he told Ash because TR doesn't represent what he said at all, so I would like to see him and Nanu fight each other to see who is right, because Nanu must see something Kiawe doesn't, and I want to see who is right.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
This episode killed me. Man was not meant to endure such cringe.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
What an Odd Episode this was.

When it first started, I thought it was going to be extremely cringey (having to put -Pika at the end of each sentence, giving nicknames like "Satopi" and the stuff with Kiawe and his sister being really uncomfortable at times), but it picked up when they introduced the Shiny Pikachu who started fighting with Pikachu which reminded me of the dynamic between Pikachu and the Raichu from Pikachu's Summer Vacation.

Having Jessie's Mimikyu appear was pretty good since it's one of my favorite SM Anime Pokemon. The thing of where the longer you keep the Z-Move pose, the longest it will last was pretty interesting and I would like to see Ash or Kiawe try to implement this tactic in their future battles (though I don't it).

Final Thoughts: Started off pretty weak, picked up towards the middle and the end. 7/10.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I would have to say even Ash, Kiawe and his little sister got tired of having to say Pika at the end of every sentence at the end. Rotom Dex became exhausted as well. Even Pikachu fell asleep.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
This episode was meh for me. I got a little bored while it in the beginning but then it really started to get good. I’m gonna lie, every sentence with Pika was pretty funny at first but after a while I got really tired of hearing it.

As soon as the shiny Pikachu came and confronted Ash’s Pikachu, that’s when it really started to pick up. The battle was rushed, which is understandable and I’m glad Pikachu won. I must admit, using Electroweb to stop the shiny Pikachu while it was using Volt Tackle was pretty interesting and shows how much of a skilled battler Ash’s Pikachu really is.

I kind of wish Team Rocket were not in this episode, they really took away from the episode for me. It’s just like any other episode involving them where they show up to steal some Pokemon, someone battles them and rescues the Pokemon they were trying to steal, and they get blasted off. It’s really beginning to get annoying. All they pretty are is a source of conflict and its super annoying.

I kind of figured from the preview that Catastropika was going to be shown off but I can’t lie, the animation for it was nothing special. It was just pretty lackluster and I felt they could have done better with it.

Overall, this episode was boring in the first half and while the second half was better, I just didn’t think it was that great, it has a lot going for it, like the inclusion of Team Rocket and having then be a source of conflict, which has haloened pretty much every single episode of the anime. The animation for Catasprpika was decent but not groundbreaking and Pikarla really got on my nerves as well.

6/10.

DatsRight

I could swallow TR in this episode since their inclusion had relevance (Mimikyu's hatred and to demonstrate a new Z Move) and their faceoff was different instead of a generic pit fall then curb stomp battle with the same one or two moves.

Also TR weren't as much to cut off the plot the twerps were in. In a standard episode, they would have butted into the Pikachu's battle, they team up against them and the plot is forgotten about in the most predictable of ways, but here they let the battle finish and the two Pikachu's to get their character display.

I'd say Team Rocket were handled better here in terms of appearance than they are in most of Mallow's episodes or Gladion's debut (and a whole dollop of episodes in many previous series around this point too).

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Fun episode. Rotom crashing when he had to end every sentence with Pika was funny when his normal routine is to end everything with Roto, although that gag won't work in the dubs as they don't incorporate the Roto part in his dialogue. Kiawe being so embarrassed at the start but pushing through that for his sister and then getting really into it was amazing. Pikarla also dressing up Team Rocket when they appeared before they even finished their motto really broke their normal routine in a funny way. Bewear catching Team Rocket was a bit lame however, we've seen it do that before, I was hoping for something more involved and unique to this episode, like Bewear storming over the hills and catching them while using Volt Tackle or something. Bewear was a bit redeemed by also having the Pikachu dress-up though, but I think it'd have been better if Bewear caught the falling Team Rocket in Pikachu Valley while using Volt Tackle and wearing the Pikachu cosplay, that'd have been hilarious. Also, a bit of an art error there, Wobbuffet lost its Pikachu cosplay once it was caught by Bewear, it still had it when they were blasting off.

I also love the new opening and ending, so many cute scenes and drawings there. Lillie lying on her stomach next to Snowy is super adorable.

Ashfahad123

Assalamualaikum
Pikarla's intro I did not like i mean it was okay. I feel it was too much anime like. Maybe it is just her voice.
Rotom crashing was funny.
Lol! Pikachu trying to impress the female pikachu.
Kiawe getting trampled by all the Pikachu and
that Boss Pikachu slamming his hair on Pikachu was funny as well.
Pikachu sneaking up on Boss. Did he learn that from Rowlet?
Without the subs, the first time I watched, I found it funny Pikachu randomly trying to bite Pikachu but I know now why he was doing that.
Electroweb stopping Volt Tackle. Awesome! Hopefully Electroweb will get more strategic use.
Lol! Jessie trying to stand still with that pose.
They shoudn't have shown the Z-Move thing aka the Mimikyu balloon thing in the preview.
Overall, Good Episode 7/10

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I found it funny Pikachu randomly trying to bite Pikachu but I know now why he was doing that.
I thought that was pretty random at first but then I guessed that Pikachu wanted to bite the tail of the other Pikachu to show his victory over the other Pikachu. I guess Pikachu wanted to at least not defeat him but then to at least show that he is the better battler.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Phew, thank goodness we got an episode after 3 weeks. Feels good watching again.

A few things I wanted to point out is, does anyone else notice the character faces and overall model are pretty crisp? Like they polished the characters this episode instead of the usual complaints of their features looking too soft and cartoony. Props on them for not putting in over exaggerated faces which was another frequent complaint. It was a nice surprise hearing my username being said in the episode...:D Last point I wanted to make is that once again, Pikachu isn't as oblivious to love as his best friend Ash is. It was explicitly explained so Ash can't act like he doesn't understand/can't distinguish between friendship and romantic attraction, and I'm glad that he was pretty neutral in his reaction. Honestly, he was more of a pacifist where he didn't want Pikachu to fight but that situation was out of his hands. I chuckled at Hoshi's knowledge on love and Kiawe freaking out on how she knew that stuff! I'm glad they came with Ash to the Pikachu Valley.

It was cute hearing everyone say pika at the end of their sentences. And this episode was funny, not in the slapstick way but more like a visual way where dialogue was needed to land the joke. I laughed when Jessie had to stay in that ridiculous pose on order for Mimikyu to keep it's strong Z Move and also the end where Pikarla was doing roll call and the group just knew it was gonna last all evening!:p I like her, she reminded me a bit of her being a past Performer judging by how she performed the Z Move and her overall energetic demeanor.

Bewear confirmed a boy!! Good on them for once again, addressing the difference between a male and female Pikachu. Ash needs a female in his group. An speaking of which, that opening was absolutely gorgeous!! I was close to shedding a tear because of how Ash centric it was. I'm gonna watch it again to observe what's happening in the opening again. I'm so glad they're keeping Rowlet and Torracat in their current forms for now. And I can't believe I'm saying this right now but I didn't mind Okazaki's voice. He sounded pretty good... well the music was good and his voice sounded less auto tuned and more emotional, like the visuals in the opening. Oh man, I also can't get over seeing the past characters which included Poipole despite it being in it's own world. :( SM truly is the saga for Ash and Pikachu. ;~;

Fun episode. I thought Mimikyu capturing all the Pikachu and Pikarla using the Pikachu exclusive Z Move was kind of stupid and rushed but I know they just wanted to show that Z Move. I also liked that Rotom mentioned to Ash that Pikachu had to know Volt Tackle again. The battle between Pikachu and Bachan (I forgot his name already but I remember Kurin) was kind of cute. I liked that Pikachu didn't even look like he was trying and wasn't breaking a sweat. He took his dear time biting on Bachan's tail.