• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

It's an Outbreak-chu! The Pikachu Valley!! (1034)

DatsRight

Ash needs a female in his group. An speaking of which, that opening was absolutely gorgeous!! I was close to shedding a tear because of how Ash centric it was.

The teams are oddly gender restricted this series. Sophocles' Togedemaru is the only gender cross (unless Kiawe's Charizard happens to be female too).

I find it a shame the other companions aren't getting much focus, though I don't begrudge Ash as the star, he at least earned it this series.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
The teams are oddly gender restricted this series. Sophocles' Togedemaru is the only gender cross (unless Kiawe's Charizard happens to be female too).

I find it a shame the other companions aren't getting much focus, though I don't begrudge Ash as the star, he at least earned it this series.

Gladion's Umbreon is also female.

Edit: Also want to add one more thing about this episode. Hayashibara's delivery when she screams the Z-Move name to Mimikyu is legitimately terrifying. Like, it's Team Rocket, doing what is arguably the least threatening Z-pose there is with the fairy pose, calling out a move called "Let's Snuggle Forever", while wearing Pikachu cosplay, and Hayashibara manages to just overrule all that purely with delivery and music support and actually turn that into something straight from nightmares. It's so good.

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
It very interesting that Pikachu is acting like a stud when in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl he had a girl in Buneary all over him. Plus this is not the first time that Pikachu acted like this because he acted like this in Pokemon Black and White when meeting Buneary again

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I'm glad Pikachu showed more personality in this episode. That scene with the females was hilarious.

Pikachu besting the Shiny one with ease was nice to see as well considering how much experience Pikachu has. I think Pikarla mentioned something like that.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
@satopi - I think the writers are aware of your existence and decided to pay homage to you in this episode. :p

This was a cute, funny episode. I wouldn't say it was the most entertaining non-plot episode we've had so far, but it was definitely entertaining. If I had any complaints, it would be everyone being forced to insert "-pika" at the end of their sentences. Verbal tics can be cute, but there should be a limit to them. IMHO, it would have been enough for Pikarla to use "-pika" at the end of her sentences. Ash, Kiawe, and Hoshi didn't need to do it, too. And Team Rocket certainly didn't need to do it.

Speaking of Team Rocket... I dread when they resort to using their clichéd Pokémon kidnapping schemes, but this clichéd Pokémon kidnapping scheme was actually tolerable...and mostly because of Mimikyu and its Z-Move. It's hard not to laugh at such a bloodthirsty Pokémon using a move with such a silly name, and Team Rocket doing that silly pose...even if Jessie cheated by holding the Z-Move pose. (That really felt like an *** pull, to be honest.)

The duel between Ash's Pikachu and Bancho actually surprised me a bit. For some reason, I expected Bancho to be a poor sport about losing, especially since they were competing over Kurin, to whom he was attracted, but he acknowledged Pikachu's superior strength and battle skills, and the two of them made amends. And in the end, Bancho got the girl, anyway, so I guess it all worked out.

Kiawe was the perfect person to accompany Ash to the Pikachu Valley—especially with Hoshi in tow. Kiawe's normal eccentricity is electrified whenever he is with his little sister, since he finds everything she does adorable and overreacts accordingly. Case in point, his overreaction to his sister's knowledge of romance was funny. Seriously, Kiawe, Hoshi may be young, but she doesn't live under a rock. :p

I liked that the writers chose to show that, even though Kantonian Pikachu and Alolan Pikachu look the same, there are actually some differences between them, such as the texture of their fur and their way of greeting each other. It shows how different environments can affect a Pokémon species even when their outward appearances are more or less the same.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I liked that the writers chose to show that, even though Kantonian Pikachu and Alolan Pikachu look the same, there are actually some differences between them, such as the texture of their fur and their way of greeting each other. It shows how different environments can affect a Pokémon species even when their outward appearances are more or less the same.
That was one of the more interesting parts of this episode to me. I thought it was neat to show subtle differences among Pokémon living in different regions asides from Alolan forms. It’s just interesting it’s not just the Alolan forms that get the regional differences (even though regional differences have happened before but not on the level of Alolan forms).

Ultra Beast Lover

I like episodes like this where we focus on Pikachu because sometimes it feels like he's the only one actually experiencing anything. That and while I love the other Pokemon sometimes I just want to have an episode with Pikachu not being the big brother.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Is @satopi now considered the king of PAD since his username was mentioned in an actual episode?

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Is @satopi now considered the king of PAD since his username was mentioned in an actual episode?
Reminder that his username previously was something else which he later changed.

Isn't it so, @satopi ? ;)

Anyway, with every main cast character being given a name with a 'Pi' at the end in this episode, that's the only logical name Ash could've gotten here. :)

Ultra Beast Lover

This'll be one of the few times where I wish the dub kept Ash's name as Satoshi. Yeah it would have ruined the clever word play in that one movie but Satoshi is just an epic sounding name.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
This'll be one of the few times where I wish the dub kept Ash's name as Satoshi. Yeah it would have ruined the clever word play in that one movie but Satoshi is just an epic sounding name.
That "clever word play" messed things up for basically every other country in the world, anyway. "The world shall turn to Ash" literally only worked in English, which quite frankly feels like a bit of an inconsiderate thing to do when you're making the dub that every other non-Asian dub of the show is based off of. At least the Norwegian dub had to really reach for it; "The world shall become Ash! But wait, your name means "Ash", so obviously you're gonna save the day!" And I can't imagine it being much better for most other versions either.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Sometimes the writers don't really consider localisation too much when writing these things. The pokémon baseball episode also had this referee Scyther gag that only worked in Japanese, and I'm fairly sure that Principle Oak is one of the most hated characters among the translation teams internationally. Compared to some of the other things they had to deal with I don't think they'll have too much trouble coming up with character names mixed with Pikachu.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
One of the episodes I actually enjoyed in SUMO. Between the new opening and the first ep of the new arc I might be able to enjoy the rest of SUMO

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I honestly kind of like it when Pokémon does it's own thing when it comes to that sort of stuff. They really can't cater to or look up to localization all the time, it'll be harder and it's not like they listen to feedback from other countries outside of maybe seeing how their product is being received. We used to have some cool Pokémon names in English that were clever word play until they got lazy. Who knows, maybe they'll stick to Ashchu or Pikash, Kiachu, and whatever Hoshi's English name is to form the entire Pikachu name as they use pika at the end of their sentences.
Reminder that his username previously was something else which he later changed.

Isn't it so, @satopi ? ;)

Anyway, with every main cast character being given a name with a 'Pi' at the end in this episode, that's the only logical name Ash could've gotten here. :)
Very true.

Yeah, everyone's name was shortened aside from Pikarla. At least the other Pikachu wasn't named with the end of it being "pi" or "ka" or "chu". Still, it really wasn't needed for Pikarla to inform them to change their way of talking and names. Maybe it had to do with customs and way of showing respect.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Still, it really wasn't needed for Pikarla to inform them to change their way of talking and names. Maybe it had to do with customs and way of showing respect.
I guess putting themselves down for the Pikachu could be that thing too. I guess Ash and his companions wouldn’t have known to change their mannerisms in the first place as they found it weird initially and wouldn’t have been inclined at all to change unless they were told so by Pikarla, who would be able to convince them to do so.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
"While you're at our lotus eater machine cloning facility totally legal private property, please adhere to our customs and demean yourselves by butchering the way you speak and adopt alternative names to keep the natives from carting you off to the cooking fires."

They'll also probably go with "Ashachu" because that's what he's called whenever he's gotta be a Pikachu

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
They'll also probably go with "Ashachu" because that's what he's called whenever he's gotta be a Pikachu
But then he was called ‘Satochu’ in Japanese. Based on what we have now I think they’ll call him ‘Pikash’ because of him being called ‘Satopi’ in the Japanese version, being analogous to how Pikashunium Z is called ‘Satopika Z’ in Japanese.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I guess putting themselves down for the Pikachu could be that thing too. I guess Ash and his companions wouldn’t have known to change their mannerisms in the first place as they found it weird initially and wouldn’t have been inclined at all to change unless they were told so by Pikarla, who would be able to convince them to do so.

Ash and friends were dealing with not just any Pikachu fan, but a Pikachu Otaku. (Thank you Pokemonrangerboy12 for that review on youtube.)

Otaku's are basically fans cranked up a couple notches to the point of obsession.