• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Its odd how Ash's original two travel companions got it worse off overall

RickHoenn

Banned
That's wrong Cybercubed, A LOT of people still love Misty & Brock and A LOT of people stop watching Pokemon when Misty left, I can't remember that when I was in school. there is a minimal part of the fandom in this forum.

king gyrados

I never got tired of Misty, I liked her character from the moment she first appeared to today. Brock on the other hand, I thought he was funny at first, but I eventually became bored with him.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Misty and Brock got treated well out of all the characters. Iris and Dento isn't even here yet and CuberCubed is already saying that they got treated better than anyone.

BlueVapor

I haven't forgotten this post, and neither will you.QUOTE]

ROFL. You're too funny :p

I don't think Misty and Brock got it worse off, once again, it's just a matter of opinions.

Both characters are very popular. Heck, Misty even got a couple of episodes of Chronicles for herself, centered around her adjusting to the gym.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Misty and Brock never really had a goal to acheive. Brock wanted to be a breeder, sure, but that didn't offer much screen-time because it was so ambiguous. Misty was just there.

May and Dawn had goals, contests, which took screen-time because it mattered.

That being said, who knows what will happen to Dento and Iris if contests are gone, and neither do musicals.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
Well their lack of screentime attributed to lack of goals, and even then they still managed to be popular. misty had no goal she just followed Ash and Brock's Breeder goal, hell, we still don't even have a solid idea of what a breeder is.

blob

People keep on saying that the writing was better in DP. But was it really?

So far all I've seen in DP is Pochama and Infernape advertising.
The thing about DP is, is there are less fillers, but in fillers Pokémon get given personalities, and without those, the show feels like an empty husk of what it once was.

I miss the days when Totodile/Grovyle fell in love. But now whenever a Pokémon falls in love, it has to be Pochama.

I miss the episode where Bayleef runs away, and the little pictures Bayleef thought of in the thought bubble were funny. But now all that happenes is Pochama runs away, and... that's it. No funny pictures. No Crocodile Dancing. Nothing.

In DP, I've found that only the Pokémon that get show a lot/were shown early on have any kind of personality. Though, there's a few exceptions to that. I really don't like how when Turtwig evolved, Ash acted like he would try to deal with Grotle's slowness, and be a better trainer. But instead we got more Monkey/Penguin showcasing, and Torterra still has a problem that will never be sorted out. :/

There's also another problem with Pochama, and it's that if it was in every epsiode from DP onwards, then it wouldn't matter that it get so much attention, but since him, and Dawn were temporary, we get Pochama in almost 200 episodes, Cyndaquil in 12, and Togekiss in 7/8. None of Ash's Pokémon that he traveled around with got treated so badly.

It's lost its charm, the charm that got me into the series. The funny bits of the show are gone, and it's too serious now. Is Pokémon past its prime? I would think so.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
That's wrong Cybercubed, A LOT of people still love Misty & Brock and A LOT of people stop watching Pokemon when Misty left,

Misty left, very, very, very early on in the shows history. Misty was only in the show for 5 years, the show is currently nearing the end of its 13th season.

Now that the series has gone on for so long, Misty was only in the show for 5 short years. All the other Kanto characters, (Ash, Brock, and TR), lasted far longer than she did, and are in double the amount of episodes that she was in.

Why do some people act like Misty's departure happened recently? It happened almost a decade ago back in 2002. She wasn't in most of Pokemon's episodes or even half of Pokemon's episode.

The show has now gone on so long that people cannot devide the show up between the time Misty was on it, and literally EVERYTHING that came after.

This guy, is one of my favorite posters on this damn forum, just for the fact that he knows each and every little way to get this section going, hehe.

Always gets some humorous responses, you gotta give the guy credit. This forum isn't as amusing anymore. ):

and you all still go for it, which is the best part!!

That's wrong Cybercubed, A LOT of people still love Misty & Brock and A LOT of people stop watching Pokemon when Misty left, I can't remember that when I was in school. there is a minimal part of the fandom in this forum.

Which is somewhat scary considering how fans of the original series must be around 20 now? I know I am. ;__; WE'RE SO OLD CRY!!!!!!!
yet these fans still act like little babies because their favorite character is never coming back!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Pretty much anyone who was at least 10 when Kanto was airing back in 1998 is now in their early 20's.

I always wondered why fully grown 20 year old adults have this much attachment to a cartoon character. There's a difference between liking a character and obsessing over one.

That being said a vocal minority is still a minority. :)

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
Misty and Brock are still loved. Alot of people love them, including me. In a cretain episode of Dimond and Pearl, when they are fishing for buizel Ash brought up Misty because he had a lure shaped like her. Although every character is going to go sometime. If Brock truely is leaving for Isshu I'll be happy, anyway I bet Dento can cook. Brock has basically worn out his welcome with most people. He isn't that intresting. If Misty ever does visit its a treat, and May isn't terrible either. Though like I said, everyone has to go some time. Misty isn't returning, neither is May or Dawn. They may visit but they won't be a main character anymore.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'm pretty sure no old characters will appear in Best Wishes, so I doubt we'll be seeing them anytime soon. Dawn has the best chance to show up since she's the last-gen girl.

Thriller

Its almost time
Back in the Golden Age of Pokemon, character development wasn't big at the time, and anything that wasn't focused on Ash wasn't...really given that much...however, I must say this...
I haven't forgotten this post, and neither will you.What he said.

I suggest we start doing what Suikun suggested:

This post deserves to be enshrined in gold and re-posted in every thread you make that reeks of baiting. With many of your threads, it's difficult to tell whether you're aiming for a thoughtful discussion or if you just want to lure certain trolls out. Many times it's the former and I let them remain, but since you flat-out admitted it here, it makes my life that much easier.

RickHoenn

Banned
Pretty much anyone who was at least 10 when Kanto was airing back in 1998 is now in their early 20's.

I always wondered why fully grown 20 year old adults have this much attachment to a cartoon character. There's a difference between liking a character and obsessing over one.

That being said a vocal minority is still a minority. :)

I'm 18 :) they started broadcasting Pokémon in my country around 99-2000 and people hasn't got over Misty, I asure you that, when people of my age talks about Pokemon (well, only about the games because they don't like the anime anymore) always does reminiscing the original series, Kanto+OI+Johto and how amazing were Ash, Brock & Misty, I was one of the few that still watch the show, they got over it because of that

sorry for my english xD

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'm 18 :) they started broadcasting Pokémon in my country around 99-2000 and people hasn't got over Misty, I asure you that, when people of my age talks about Pokemon (well, only about the games because they don't like the anime anymore) always does reminiscing the original series, Kanto+OI+Johto and how amazing were Ash, Brock & Misty, I was one of the few that still watch the show, they got over it because of that

sorry for my english xD

That's the same with any series, people remember/talk about the first few seasons than anything that comes after.

Back when AG was airing May was so immensely popular that I've always assumed her popularity is what caused the writers to phase Misty out at the time. You could tell originally Misty got the hoso's to keep her character alive in case May and/or Contests bombed, but once they took off in popularity, we saw less and less of Misty and May got tons of episodes and the Contests went on to last for 8 years.

thunderblade12

People keep on saying that the writing was better in DP. But was it really?

So far all I've seen in DP is Pochama and Infernape advertising.
The thing about DP is, is there are less fillers, but in fillers Pokémon get given personalities, and without those, the show feels like an empty husk of what it once was.

I miss the days when Totodile/Grovyle fell in love. But now whenever a Pokémon falls in love, it has to be Pochama.

I miss the episode where Bayleef runs away, and the little pictures Bayleef thought of in the thought bubble were funny. But now all that happenes is Pochama runs away, and... that's it. No funny pictures. No Crocodile Dancing. Nothing.

In DP, I've found that only the Pokémon that get show a lot/were shown early on have any kind of personality. Though, there's a few exceptions to that. I really don't like how when Turtwig evolved, Ash acted like he would try to deal with Grotle's slowness, and be a better trainer. But instead we got more Monkey/Penguin showcasing, and Torterra still has a problem that will never be sorted out. :/

There's also another problem with Pochama, and it's that if it was in every epsiode from DP onwards, then it wouldn't matter that it get so much attention, but since him, and Dawn were temporary, we get Pochama in almost 200 episodes, Cyndaquil in 12, and Togekiss in 7/8. None of Ash's Pokémon that he traveled around with got treated so badly.

It's lost its charm, the charm that got me into the series. The funny bits of the show are gone, and it's too serious now. Is Pokémon past its prime? I would think so.

A lot of the personalities were incorporated into important episodes. Like rather than having Turtwig evolve in a Team Rocket-plot based like Chikorita and many other pokemon of that time, they gave it an "issue" in it's evolution episode and actually made it seem determined. That may not be much, but if an episode that could be easily skipped without effecting Totodile in the long run like the one where it randomly falls in love with Azumarill (never even referenced again afterwards) contributes to it's personality, I don't see how things like that don't.

And we did have episodes like that. Episodes like the Togekiss one gave the character development (with it's over majesticness) and a noticable personality (motherly.) The only difference is that when it happened in DP, it was considered a "useless filler" among certain members of the fanbase.

And seriously, outside of battles we hardly even seen the ape. I really wish people would stop saying this. We seen it in all of the battles but we rarely ever seen it aside from that. How's that different from Grovyl in AG? (used in Roxanne, Brawly, Flannery, Norman, Winona, and Juan's gyms, four League battles, and Greta, Spenser, and Brandon's battle facilities.)

"It won more."

Your argument was about oversaturation of certain pokemon (as in appearances), not amount of wins. Sceptile is just an example. Certain pokemon getting more battles than others is certainly nothing new.

Last edited:

blob

A lot of the personalities were incorporated into important episodes. Like rather than having Turtwig evolve in a Team Rocket-plot based like Chikorita and many other pokemon of that time, they gave it an "issue" in it's evolution episode and actually made it seem determined. That may not be much, but if an episode that could be easily skipped without effecting Totodile in the long run like the one where it randomly falls in love with Azumarill (never even referenced again afterwards) contributes to it's personality, I don't see how things like that don't.

And we did have episodes like that. Episodes like the Togekiss one gave the character development (with it's over majesticness) and a noticable personality (motherly.) The only difference is that when it happened in DP, it was considered a "useless filler" among certain members of the fanbase.

And seriously, outside of battles we hardly even seen the ape. I really wish people would stop saying this. We seen it in all of the battles but we rarely ever seen it aside from that. How's that different from Grovyl in AG? (used in Roxanne, Brawly, Flannery, Norman, Winona, and Juan's gyms, four League battles, and Greta, Spenser, and Brandon's battle facilities.)

"It won more."

Your argument was about oversaturation of certain pokemon (as in appearances), not amount of wins. Sceptile is just an example. Certain pokemon getting more battles than others is certainly nothing new.

I didn't pay that much attention to which Pokémon battled when until DP.

BTW, Togekiss hardly counts, because it was added so late, and was in less than 10 episodes. Unlike Ash's Muk, Kingler, and Tauros, we'll never see Dawn's Togekiss again, nor will we probably ever see one again.

I also doubt we'll get to see a wild 4th Gen Pokémon because of how close the Animé and the Games have become. BW is about 5th Gen Pokémon only. 6th Gen will probably be about 5th and 6th Gen Pokémon, so we won't see a random wild Cherrim, Bidoof, or Diglett for a long long time.

Are there any other Pokémon Ash has that hasn't had a League win except Torterra? Well, at least Pochama didn't get one.

I know that some personalities are put into important episodes, but there are no funny quirks in those episodes, because usually it's time for the plot to keep moving. There was just too much plot in DP for it to have any charm. If 4th Gen would of lasted a year longer, then we'd of had time to have a BF Arc, and at least get Torterra to win a battles that isn't TR related.
Oh, and don't you just HATE it that Energy Ball Swallow was there just for Dawn to use in a Contest? Dawn is such a little Leech.

Takeshi is dreamy and along with him, my Heart went.

Last edited:

Sayho1234

however, I must say this...
I haven't forgotten this post, and neither will you.What he said.

LMFAO, get 'em! :D

Says the fully grown 20 year old adult who keeps track of every single insignificant minor detail about this cartoon & overall possesses more knowledge about this cartoon than the entire fandom put together. Also didn't you obsess over the characters: Gliscor, Ambipom, and Ash's entire Hoenn team? Hypocrite much?

Last edited: