• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

It's rare to find Zoroark at this part of Smogon's ladder

Zachmac

POranking-1.png

That's my peak on Smogon's ladder. I've been struggling to get any higher than that, but I really want to do it.

There are just two rules to this team. First, I must use Gyarados, as required by my clan. After that, I must always use at least one Johto pokemon in my team, also as a requirement from my clan.

Well, let's start this off with a team preview.
571.gif
130.gif
212.gif
598.gif
373.gif
639.gif

As for the details;
571.gif

Zoroark @ Expert Belt
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252sp.att/252speed
Nature: Naive
- Night Daze
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Sucker Punch

When many trainers see Zoroark, they expect it to use it's ability to the fullest. People say, for example, that Infernape makes a great partner as it shares Nasty Plot, Flamethrower, and Focus Blast. That, in my opinion, is completely false. The point of Zoroark's ability is not for a defensive purpose like that. Looks at it's stats. It's to catch enemies off guard for a surprise kill, not to save it from one attack when it won't be taking hits anyway. If one sends in a Gyarados on a Reuniclus, they don't expect to be hit with Night Daze. If one sends in a Ferrothorn on a Skarmory, they don't expect to be flamethrowered to the face. That is exactly why I use Zoroark over Hydreigon.

I pretend it's my lead, but thanks to team veiwer, it rarely ever is. It can sweep in the late game sometimes, but my favorite part about it is hitting those darn Skamory. No one really expects a Gyrados or Ferrothorn to give their Skarmory a flamethrower to the face, and I'm very grateful for my Zoroark for that, as I just hate fighting Skarmory. Night Daze is reliable STAB, catching ghost and psychics by surprise, while Flamethrower hits steel types. Focus Blast will hit other Dark types, along with Heatran who realize it's a Zoroark and try to come in on flamethrower. Sucker Punch may seem out of place on a special set, but that move is invaluable, finishing off many weakened base 110, and KOing Gengar, Latios, Latias, Alakazam and Starmie that want to revenge kill it and realize what it really is. I chose expert belt mostly because I hate the extra damage from the life orb, and the life orb damage could give away it's identity in a couple situations.

130.gif

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248HP/252def/8sp.def
Nature: Impish
- Waterfall
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Okay, you may be raising an eyebrow or two at this set. I'm going to assure you, my team is not to catch my enemies off guard, defensive gyarados is just simply a good member for it. Waterfall is a reliable STAB move, and can cause flinching sometimes. Dragon tail, along with intimidate, makes it my favorite Dragon counter. It can come in on Haxorus, Dragonite, or Salamence, then catch them off guard by removing their boost and doing super effective damage. Also, Dragon Tail is useful when I expect a counter to swap in, damaging them and then forcing them to take more stealth rock damage. Often, on a physical attacker, this Gyarados will often be able to withstand more then two attacks, making resttalk effective, even though sleep resets upon swapping out in the fifth generation. While I mostly use it for dragon dancers, it's also my best Gliscor counter, and makes a nice stall breaker while it's at it.

212.gif

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/40 att/216 sp.def
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Every time I make a team, I make sure I have one set up sweeper. In this case, it's Scizor. Swords Dance is fairly obvious, doubling it's attack. Bullet Punch is something I'll assume you already know if you're really good enough to be rating teams. Bug Bite is powerful STAB, as I don't like the stat drops from Super Power, and Brick Break just doesn't hit hard enough for me. Roost rounds this off, restoring it's health and also helping it get more swords dances. It also helps it shrug off entry hazards, and even helps it defeat the dreaded paraflinch Jirachi one on one.

598.gif

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/88def/168sp.def
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

I needed two things. First, I needed a way to handle bulky waters, especially rotom-W. Next, I needed something to set up stealth rock for my my Gyrados. Ferrothorn pulls off this role nicely. Leech Seed is it's only means of recovery, while stalling out an enemies health. Thunder Wave is mostly so I don't have to predict swap ins, as many fighting and fire types, or pokemon carrying those moves, won't usually enjoy paralysis.

373.gif

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 116 att/216 sp.att/176speed
Nature: Rash
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Brick Break
- Roost

I decided I needed something to handle Breloom and Venasaur. However, if I removed Gliscor, I'd find myself having troubles with Conkeldurr. Tyranitar is also a problem, as I can't safely counter it until I know the set. So, I decided to add something that could handle all four, the mixmence. Draco Meteor does massive damage, allowing me to blast holes through any non-steel type wall. While at it, Fire Blast can burn any steel types in my way, along with Breloom and Venasuar. Brick Break is a way to hit Tyranitar, but also break subs before a meteor. Roost is finally to make up for life orb and stealth rock damage, as they can really where it down.

639.gif

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 att/252 speed
Nature: Jolly
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Terrakion is an amazing revenge killer, being able to outspeed any dragon dancer at +1, OHKOing any except Dragonite(which it can beat if that has taken a little bit of damage). Meanwhile, it's STABs are offensively amazing. Rock Slide is mostly a back up move, when I don't want to risk missing a +1 Salamence or Volcarona. Earthquake is a nice way to hit Tentacruel swap ins as well. I didn't use X-scizor because Reuniclus doesn't really pose a threat to this team, so I find myself using earthquake more.

Currently Testing:
Nothing at the moment.

Last edited:

T100

T100
You HAVE to use gliscor and a johto poke? HAVE to?
that clan thing sounds a little stupid.

Usatoday

Eternal God

Actually it's not gliscor is his chosen signature poke and he ws placed in the johto house so he's required for in clan battles to use a poke from johto
Great team but beware of boltbeam starmie other than that great job

Zachmac

Not really. I got to choose Gliscor myself, and the Johto pokemon is only because I'm in the Johto division.

It's supposed to make team building more challenging.

Next time, I'd prefer an actual rate....
Actually it's not gliscor is his chosen signature poke and he ws placed in the johto house so he's required for in clan battles to use a poke from johto
Great team but beware of boltbeam starmie other than that great job
Ferrothorn handles Starmie, which is the only common boltbeamer I can think of.

I have problems with Nidoking after Terrakion falls, but that thing is pretty rare(at least at that part of the ladder).

Last edited:

Blue Cobra

Bug Trainer
I think you have a very solid team :)

It is a good idea to have Rock Slide on Terrakion as you mentioned, so you are more sure to hit Volcarona and Salamence. Therefore, you could eventually switch out Stone Edge for X-Scissor instead of having two Rock moves. But on the other hand, Stone Edge can deal massive damage to a bunch of Pokémon, but X-Scissor gives more coverage.

Zachmac

^Scizor and Zoroark usually handle psychics for it, so X-scizor is unneeded. Besides, sometimes taking the risk with stone edge pays off.

Ilan

Nidoking is another boltbeamer.. I think it beats your whole team but I am not sure cause I don't calculate..

nbice team overall but too polarized in weaknesses I don't see your fire(ferro and scizor) or ice(gliscor) weaknesses covered enough...

Zachmac

Nidoking is another boltbeamer.. I think it beats your whole team but I am not sure cause I don't calculate..
I only ever see Nidoking once in a blue moon, I'm sure it's not a problem.

nbice team overall but too polarized in weaknesses I don't see your fire(ferro and scizor) or ice(gliscor) weaknesses covered enough...
Most pokemon with ice type moves are actually water types, and are handled quite easily be Ferrothorn and sometime Gyarados, though I will admit they can be a problem. Fire isn't really a problem as Gyarados can counter most fire type attackers, while Terrakion checks them. Two is a solid number IMO, but that would mean I'd need another check for water types. I guesss Gliscor usually counts if I toxic them on the switch.

Utopian

faults & feats
thats one shitty *** rank/point standing.

you lose to nidoking. gg.

Zachmac

thats one shitty *** rank/point standing.

Still angry about yesterday?

If you aren't going to give an actual rate, please don't post(even though I appreciate the free bumping).

Edit: After playing with Gliscor a bit, I decided fending off breloom wasn't worth it, and changed it's move back to substitute.

Last edited:
Not really, Terrakion revenges with Earthquake, and Scizor does a fair bit with Bullet Punch. In the case of a LO set, Zoroark can outspeed and probably OHKO with Night Daze. I'd run some calcs on that, but I have no access to a 5th gen damage calculator.

Besides, Nidoking isn't used often in OU and almost all teams tend to have a big weakness to something but the better ones have thier weakness in NU, or something like that.

Usatoday

Eternal God
Still angry about yesterday?

If you aren't going to give an actual rate, please don't post(even though I appreciate the free bumping).

Edit: After playing with Gliscor a bit, I decided fending off breloom wasn't worth it, and changed it's move back to substitute.

What's he mad about?

Gay ****** did better than you. Legitimacy destroyed.
------------________________________________________--------------------------

Odin smite them down with thine finger

On a second thought what happened to the other four evs on zoro and terra also try this terrakion
639.gif
@ Life Orb
Nature Jolly
Ability Justified
Evs 4 Hp 252 Atk 252 Spd
Close Combat
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Swords Dance
Rock Polish

Zachmac

Dual Boosting terrakion can destroy
Yes, but that's not my Terrakion's job. I leave destroying to my Scizor, Terrakion is for revenge killing.
What's he mad about?
Just a little disagreement about a Bronzong and Haxorus, but I'm not going to go into it here.

Utopian

faults & feats
What's CL talking about lulz. I 6-0d him on the ladder: "Legitly Good" rofl.

K gonna look over this team and rate :3

hmm, right off the bat nasty plot lucario threatens this whole team if the player can see through your zoroark (flamethrower KO's luke)

that gyara set is completely random. This is an offensive tempo team and te only hazard you support is stealth rock. Not to mention he only counters scrafty and conkeldur at best (which aren't major threats to this team if played nicely) I recommend using a sweeper of some sort as you lack a stat boosting sweeper. Oh you have a scizor, so try balancing things with CM virizion (which also helps with luke in a way)

set:
viri @ LO
timid
252 satt 252 speed
giga drain
focus blast
hp ice
Calm mind

also. Suns teams completely demolish you. And tht can't be fvcked unless you change a mon into a weather inducer. Which imo should be politoed since viri an ferro benefit from reduced fire damage

Last edited:

Zachmac

K gonna look over this team and rate :3
Ah, that's better.
that gyara set is completely random. This is an offensive tempo team and te only hazard you support is stealth rock. Not to mention he only counters scrafty and conkeldur at best (which aren't major threats to this team if played nicely) I recommend using a sweeper of some sort as you lack a stat boosting sweeper.
Actually, it helps me handle Dragons nicely. It can come in and use intimidate, and then dragon tail. It especially helps with the common Dragonite and Volcarona.
viri @ LO
timid
252 satt 252 speed
giga drain
focus blast
hp ice
Calm mind
...Though after turning down all the suggestions, I think I'm seeming too stubborn. I guess it won't hurt if I give this a little try to see how it works, especially since I've had success with it in other teams.
Suns teams completely demolish you. And tht can't be fvcked unless you change a mon into a weather inducer. Which imo should be politoed since viri an ferro benefit from reduced fire damage
Actually, I usually don't find myself have too much problems with sun. Even with it's STAB weakened, Gyarados can phaze Venasaur and tank most fire types. Terrakion can also revenge kill most. Though now that I look at it, it is Venasaur weak, I can usually manage.

My top priority is getting past breloom.