• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

IV's and EV's Need Improvements

Ulicies

Mild Monk
IV's and EV's should be overhauled.

IV's:

IV's should be not be randomized; if a player chooses to work toward maxing out stats, they should not be required to grind mindlessly through breeding. Introduce special tutors or unique ways of increasing IV's, and give them a page in the Pokemon Summary, or at least make them visible in some way.

EV's:

EV's should be visible in the Pokemon Summary, and the Pokedex should detail which Pokemon give what EV's.

EV's should be streamlined; special tutors should be able to remove EV's in exchange for items, similar to trading heart scales or shards. And similarly to collecting Heart Scales daily in B/W, allow players to infinitely collect said trade item if they're willing to put in the effort.

EV's should be applied outside of level-ups, and instead applied after every battle, with a "Your Garchomp gained 2 Atk EV's!" battle prompt after the enemy Pokemon faints. This way, a Pokemon at any level can still be fully EV trained, which, without being able to EV train a Lv100 Pokemon, is a huge deterrent from trading for any Lv100 Pokemon in the GTS.

What are your thoughts and comments about my suggestions, and about IV's and EV's in general? And how would you change or improve IV's and EV's?

there's absolutely nothing wrong with the way they are right now.

EV's should be applied outside of level-ups, and instead applied after every battle, with a "Your Garchomp gained 2 Atk EV's!" battle prompt after the enemy Pokemon faints. This way, a Pokemon at any level can still be fully EV trained, which, without being able to EV train a Lv100 Pokemon, is a huge deterrent from trading for any Lv100 Pokemon in the GTS.

this is already in place, minus the annoying message.

PsychicPsycho

IV's should be not be randomized; if a player chooses to work toward maxing out stats, they should not be required to grind mindlessly through breeding. Introduce special tutors or unique ways of increasing IV's, and give them a page in the Pokemon Summary, or at least make them visible in some way.
I've thought for a while it would be cool to be able to increase a pokemon's IVs in some way. I don't know about everybody else, but I don't go for perfect IVs for my playthrough team. It'd be cool to be able to help make them stronger after working through the game with them.

The way I imagined it being done is through some kind of special training battles or minigame. Like a pokemon would have to use a number of special attacks against these training opponents to increase special attack by 1 IV. The amount of attacks would increase with level, sort of like the amount of EXP needed to level up.
EV's should be streamlined; special tutors should be able to remove EV's in exchange for items, similar to trading heart scales or shards. And similarly to collecting Heart Scales daily in B/W, allow players to infinitely collect said trade item if they're willing to put in the effort.
Actually, I think some of the people in the Join Avenue can do that, albeit for money.

As for your suggestion to show the IVs and EVs in some way, I wouldn't think they would make it visable on the summary screen, but perhaps on a certain computer- maybe at the IV trainer I mentioned.

I've thought for a while it would be cool to be able to increase a pokemon's IVs in some way. I don't know about everybody else, but I don't go for perfect IVs for my playthrough team. It'd be cool to be able to help make them stronger after working through the game with them.

No. That's the point of EVs.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
there's absolutely nothing wrong with the way they are right now.

this is already in place, minus the annoying message.
This is all certainly subjective, but in my opinion, there is certainly something wrong with the fact that if you want to train a competitive Pokemon, you have to either a) grind your butt off through endless breeding, or b) hack or RNG a Pokemon's IV's.

And there is certainly a problem with the fact that two of Pokemon's most complex game mechanics are 95% hidden from the entire game.

Last edited:
This is all certainly subjective, but in my opinion, there is certainly something wrong with the fact that if you want to train a competitive Pokemon, you have to either a) grind your butt off through endless breeding, or b) hack or RFG a Pokemon's IV's.

That's your opinion. Take into account that most Pokemon players couldn't care less about IVs. And it's not quite as hard as you're implying it is, especially with RNG abuse.

And there is certainly a problem with the fact that two of Pokemon's most complex game mechanics are 95% hidden from the entire game.

Again, most Pokemon players couldn't care less about IVs or EVs.

-Nator-

Never going to happen. A majority of the percent of people play Pokemon for the fun of it, rather than competitively, therefore GameFreak wouldn't bother incorporating those features.

Spudnugget1

who wants to sing
I certainly wouldn't want it to change, mainly because I don't care about the current state it's in. While I often try to circumvent my otherwise sluggish post-game pacing with excuses like "Once I finish, I can finally enjoy WiFi for what it truly is!" And, "When I'm done, I can quit my (metaphorical) night job!" The truth is that while I do dream of a competitive future and copy down all of the POTW movesets to an almost disturbing point of completionism (Looking forward to affording BW2's move tutors,) in the end of it all, none of it matters because I don't care for stuff like IV's and EV's.

A game where they actually made a difference outside of the post-game would probably make me want to play the games less, IMO. I already had a hard enough time leveling half of my team up in BW2 to face the Elite Four confidently, and I've never actually beaten a Battle Tower.

As previous posters have said, it's subjective. It depends largely on how you view the games and their mechanics.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Yes, there are probably more casual players then competitive so seeing a way to increase your IV count much easier wouldn't really matter for the general consensus of the casual Pokemon playing community as they might have a higher population as said before so GF probably wouldn't care for the competive scene much IMO.

Yes, there are probably more casual players then competitive so seeing a way to increase your IV count much easier wouldn't really matter for the general consensus of the casual Pokemon playing community as they might have a higher population as said before so GF probably wouldn't care for the competive scene much IMO.

GF has actually shown quite a bit of interest in the competitive scene over this current generation; however, I doubt they would change the current IV/EV system.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
The Current IV and EV system has been in place for about 10 years now. Too many changes to this will render all the Pokémon since Ruby and Sapphire to today as waste, like Ruby/Sapphire did when they where released. Many players such as myself have Pokémon dating almost that far back. (My oldest confirmed Pokémon is from a game save that I trashed before I joined this forum.)

The Join Avenue along with Pass Powers has made the Competitive prep time shorter.

Game Freak added The Battle Box and made it possible to run Tournaments online. The Battle Box is intended for use in the competitive scene, as you don't have to stop playing, and then prep the Battle party for a battle. You already have a Battle Party ready to go. Plus it prevents changes to a Pokémon in a Turney. The competitive scene has really taken off since Diamond and Pearl as you couldn't exactly have a battle with someone in England when you're in the US before that.

Watchog

Lv. 50
We would've have a bunch of noobs everywhere with well-trained pokemon. So no thx, Gotta work for it, Thats the point, Thats where all the fun's at. Besides, I alredy find it very easy to get whatever i want when we talk about evs/moves/ability/nature/gender.

gliscor&yanmega

IV's and EV's should be overhauled.

IV's:

EV's:

EV's should be visible in the Pokemon Summary, and the Pokedex should detail which Pokemon give what EV's.

What are your thoughts and comments about my suggestions, and about IV's and EV's in general? And how would you change or improve IV's and EV's?

Nothing wrong with randomized. It's common enough to have in games, it creates more diversity between Pokemon. If people want a perfect Pokemon, they should work for it, if people don't really care, then it doesn't matter what they get. The only thing I agree on is making them more visible, frankly, being told my Pokemon's potential is "this and that", with the best stat being "this", doesn't help me much at all, it's better then nothing but I don't see why they can't just make it visible. And yes there's IV calculators out there, but it could all be much more quicker if it was just on the page telling you how many IVs the Pokemon has in more details.

As for EVs, again, I do want them to be more visible, being told my Pokemon has maxxed EVs or whatever in the game doesn't help much if I'm not 100% sure which EVs are where. We have Berries to remove EVs though, as well as a shop in Join Avenue that can get rid of all EVs in one stat, so we already can get rid of unwanted EVs. Also, I believe EVs have been changed with the 5th generation where EVs are calculated after every battle, allowing you to EV train at level 100.

So I don't think any of this is really needed, it would be nice if they do create pages to show you the IVs and EVs and maybe they will some day(I believe Natures didn't always show you what got increased or decreased), but it's still manageable without that.

DrJo

Pokemon Doc
EVs and IVs are hidden beacuse they are aimed towards Hardcore players (the minority of pokemon players), "revealing" them to the casual side of the playerbase would result in confusion.

Also, you are not going to achieve anything posting your suggestions here.

SirIllo

$UP@-$W@G STARE GMFO
why did they make eving so hard in 5th gen? DPPT was so easy with vs seeker

randomspot555

There has been no changes with "EVing". You go to a place where a bunch of Pokemon are that give out the EV you want, you fight them, you move on. The only thing a vs seeker really did was make the 6 magikarp guy rebattleable. But it isn't that hard to find lakes, routes, etc... that have low level Pokemon that give out the EV you want where they are a common encounter.

gliscor&yanmega

EVs and IVs are hidden beacuse they are aimed towards Hardcore players (the minority of pokemon players), "revealing" them to the casual side of the playerbase would result in confusion.

Also, you are not going to achieve anything posting your suggestions here.

I'd imagine they could at less have the people who tell you about the IVs and EVs give you more details.

I guess you don't know about Join Avenue. Plus, wild battles are easier to deal with for EV training as you have one Pokemon(Unless in Double Grass) to deal with apposed to 2 or more which probably have different Effort Points they give out. But yah, EV training is far more easier in 5th generation thanks to Join Avenue.

Mitja

Veteran smartass

No.
IVs are there to add randomness.
While EV are there for trainers to improve stats as they wish, IVs are there simply to make pokemon of the same species slightly differ. (Note that better IVs dont result in noteworthy changes.)

As a competitive trainer, I don't even try to breed IVs to perfection, because the gain is not worth it. Id just check to see if the important ones are not close to 0, but thats about it.

...except when it comes to Hidden Power. THAT is what needs to be changed, not IVs.

Not the EVs directly should be shown, but stat numbers should be getting red the more EVs they have, or similar indication, akin to natures effects being visible in stat window.

Do you understand that EVs given by defeated pokemon directly correlate to their best stats? Hence Zubat gives 1 speed etc.
The pokedex doesn't even show the base stats...that would be much more useful.

Basically all of that has already been done. The first part with Join avenue in BW2 and the later probably from gen IV on or smth.