• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ivysaur is Quite Mysterious, Don't You Think So? (1093)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1092.jpg

Ivysaur is Quite Mysterious, Don't You Think So?

Ash & Go have become new research assistants of Professor Sakuragi in Vermilion City. However, shortly afterwards the professor notices an increase in Ivysaur around and asks for Ash & Go to investigate. They learn that they're all heading somewhere but the reasons are unknown. Will they be able to find it?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

VoltTacklingPika

What did Giovanni and the TRio talked about?

And what's Ash's comment and he reacted about TRio during the Officer Jenny scene?

Giovanni was doing the whole "who are we and what do we do?" thing. Basically just introducing the concept of Team Rocket for the uninitiated.

The Jenny scene: Gou said he had heard about Team Rocket on the internet, but didn't believe the rumours about a talking Meowth. Ash said: "Well, you would think that'd be the case" or "well, that's what you'd think at first".

dman_dustin

The only things I can say I enjoyed was:

1. Mr. Mime acting like a mime, more so like the detective Pikachu one than what I remember Mr. Mime doing.

2. Pikachu's Thunderbolt at the end looking like its as powerful as Gigavolt Havoc.

3. I guess technically the Rotom Phones, but they're unlike the Rotom Dex from last generation which is disappointing (to me), I guess ultimately having a different character/personality was too much to ask (and no I don't care if you didn't like Rotom Dex, so don't bother).

4. I guess technically using Meowth's coin for the Poke ball gumball machine was amusing but I ultimately don't care, except it'll be interesting to see them using rentals assuming they don't catch their own Pokemon for the series.

I'm neutral about Go and Ash fighting or having a disagreement, but it was nice to see Go take an appreciation for Ash at the end.

I will say at the very least I'm glad Ash's Bulbasaur WASN'T in this at all because this wasn't exactly a good episode for it to evolve in if they ever decided to evolve it, sure the episode would've likely been written differently to take that into consideration but it was very basic episode of Pokemon. Not exactly something super interesting.

Also no Mysterious Garden reference from what I can tell (at least directly, it is similar however), thus I ultimately fail to see why this episode existed. This probably should've been the Scorbunny episode to be honest. But I guess their first mission had to be in Kanto.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Clearly, the purpose of this ep is to establish Ash and Gou's relationship as well as showcase how different their characters are. They didn't really interact much in the previous ep since they were caught up in the Lugia ride.

Ash is dumb, Gou is smart. Ash follows his heart, Gou is analytical. Ash is impulsive, Gou is logical. Ash is athletic, Gou can't even climb a damn wall. (Boy needs a gym membership. No wonder his legs are sticks.) Etc.

So TR's Pokemon are done by gacha. Well, this is inspired by a mobile game, so it fits?

Also, can someone please tell the person who voices Gou's Rotom Phone to tone it down a little? The thing practically shouts every line it says. Ash's is fine,, though.

VoltTacklingPika

It seems Team Rocket's new thing is going to be a weekly gacha where they'll get some strong Pokemon. It's different, but I do hope they get their own Pokemon, eventually. TR's relationship with their own Pokemon is the one of the highlights of any season and I'd be sad to see it go.

I don't think there'll be any concerns about Ash being "reset". He just fought off a Gyarados and Tyranitor by himself, albeit with some outside interference.

Clearly, the purpose of this ep is to establish Ash and Gou's relationship as well as showcase how different their characters are. They didn't really interact much in the previous ep since they were caught up in the Lugia ride.

Ash is dumb, Gou is smart. Ash follows his heart, Gou is analytical. Ash is impulsive, Gou is logical. Ash is athletic, Gou can't even climb a damn wall. (Boy needs a gym membership. No wonder his legs are sticks.) Etc.

Basically this. Though I should add, the episode also highlighted Gou's lack of friends and the fact he really wants to be Ash's buddy but didn't understand he already is one. They really wanted to show us the softer side of his character, as he's gone from "I'll recognise you as one my friends!" in the last episode to being all shy and awkward in this episode. There was also another pretty big hint that his obsession with researching Pokemon is the reason he doesn't have many friends in the first place. He was so concerned about the integrity of their study that he didn't even want to help Ivysaur out.

I think they wanted to establish this side of his character before giving him Scorbunny. Inevitably, having Scorbunny will teach him about human/Pokemon relationships that go beyond researcher and research subject, but for now we need to see that this is something he inherently doesn't quite understand.

--------------------

Some other bits:
  • I was so confused when I heard hoovering during Mr. Mime's scene but saw no hoover.
  • Gou got the top bunk. It'd be funny if this changed on a weekly basis.
  • Koharu didn't want to eat breakfast with Gou and Ash because she had already eaten and would have been late for school otherwise. It's kinda weird how much of a proper student she is, while simultaneously complaining about having to give Gou print-outs because he refuses to attend. I'd have thought she'd be telling him to come with her, but maybe she's long since given up.
  • The amount of blushing Gou did was pure shipping bait. I think this season is going to please a very specific portion of the fanbase. Hell, people are already having fun with this on Twitter (#anipoke for the curious).
  • I couldn't tell if Ash and Gou were genuinely scared of Yamper or if they were just caught by surprise by the end there. Either way, Yamper doesn't seem to be a fan of Ash at all, if his growling earlier in the episode was anything to go by.
  • The female Rotom Phone voice was way over the top. If it were me, I'd be going into the settings and changing that immediately.
  • Nice reference to Red/Blue with the worker having Machop help him out with construction.

Last edited:

DatsRight

So TR's Pokemon are done by gacha. Well, this is inspired by a mobile game, so it fits?

Also, can someone please tell the person who voices Gou's Rotom Phone to tone it down a little? The thing practically shouts every line it says. Ash's is fine,, though.

The show seems to be pretty fond of giving companions this sort of dynamic with Ash, a logical academically smart but less experienced and street wise character to contrast Ash's book dumb impulsive but insightful personality. These started coming in since XY with Clemont, with SM amping it further with Lillie and Sophocles, and even Kiawe to some degree. I can see why they enjoy it since they're pretty good at making it three dimensional, avoiding too much of a cliche conflicting opposites route by making them bros with Ash and having some mutual ground. If done right Gou could end up a well rounded amalgamation of all of these.

Team Rocket recurrently using gacha takes my interest since in theory it could allow them to be more of a threat, even if I still kinda want them to get their own Pokemon or at least use Meowth and Wobbuffet a few times.

D

Deleted member 384931

On the other hand if Ash has to refer all his pokémon we are here for a while. I will be honest only the battle was interesting. The rest was pretty stupid and Gou reminds me way too much of Iris in personality wise. I hope they wont constant fight and it feels odd for Ash to not catch a pokémon in three episodes. Idk what really the point is of the research stuff and the region hopping. I give this episode a 5/10. There isnt so much to talk about.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Is it me or was the animation pretty stiff this time around

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Can someone tell me that when Giovanni talked to TR was he talking like in a pleased manner like BW XY SM or in an irritated or indifferent manner like in AG DP OS

p96822

Evolve me please
It time to show a new review. Go!

This episode is showing the new dymanic of Ash and Go. Even though I felt it was really generic, but it does the job well. I don't like the joke of Ash being more touchy with Pokemon now because I felt he should know better of not getting into Pokemon faces like that. It felt more like something like Iris in the early season of Black and White or Bonnie from Pokemon XY would do to Pokemon. With Go not getting his Starter Pokemon in the last episode I think he felt really useless here. For the Ivysaur's plot of evolving, I don't really care for it like I did with Bulbasaur and the Mysterious Garden. With the less focus on the Ivysaur themselves I don't care what happen to them at all. At least with Bulbasaur and the Mysterious Garden, we can care about about the Ivysaur's and their evolutionary line.

As for Team Rocket, I felt two ways about them. One I felt that they can give Ash and Go a little bit more of challenge to Ash and Go without using their own Pokemon. And two I felt that giving them strong Pokemon takes away their underdog status just like the Z-Power Ring in Sun and Moon even though they didn't use it as much. I'm a little bit happy that Team Rocket can be a proper threat again without losing their personalities or having stupid gimmicks to their Pokemon. With their rental machine I do think the writers could bring back Jessie and James's older Pokemon in that machine, but we just have to wait and see.

So I'll give this episode a C-. Not the greatest episode, but not the worst ether

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Several questions and statement

1.Ash's Pikachu seems to get nerfed since he lost to TR Pokemon for second time, first being in SM. Finally, TR is getting competent. Since BW TR was being competent. Still OS TR(4kids) > BW-Present TR > AG-DP TR.

2.Are TR keeping Gyarados and Tyranitar like their own Pokemon? There's no subs yet. Or they're like rental?

3.Why are Ash and Go acting like a couple?

game3524

This was a decent episode and it succeeded in it's main objective (highlighting the differences between Ash and Go). I do like how they showed a more awkward side of Go. IMO, it does show that the writers weren't lying when they said they were handling his character with care, because this does make him more likable and relatable.

I am 50/50 on TR using rental Pokemon. On one hand, it does make a ton of sense given where their characters are at currently. But on the other hand, it could get old very quickly, but seeing how it seems they won't appear like they did from the OS-XY, I think it could turn out fine in the long run.

Soniman

Break the Limit
One of the consistently better aspects of TR is their relationship with their Pokemon and after Alola raised the bar so high, to see this saga go in the complete opposite direction by giving them soulless battle drones instead is not what I'm here for.

Red and Blue

Go taking photos of Meowth after finding out about its ability to speak was pretty amusing.

I do like that they are keeping up with Koharu's cold attitude towards Ash. Guess it will just be the two boys for a while