• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ivysaur is Quite Mysterious, Don't You Think So? (1093)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I agree with Pikachu not being reset. I earlier thought due to an accidental mistranslation that Pikachu loses to scorbunny which imo would have been a reset. However it's just one kick that connects with him. Pikachu really hasn't been reset in this and the last series surprisingly, though the only time it was majorly reset was in unova, none of the other cases were as severe.

SoundVoltex

Ash's Pikachu is far from reset.

I love how they keep Jessie's character consistent throughout all the generation. She's not one to remember Pokemon moves and always goes with the flow, while James is always a bit more competent and level headed, but just as goofy. Small tidbits like that make me feel happy honestly.

I thought the episode overall was interesting. It had an overarching basic plot, but really explored the dynamic and relationship between Go and Ash. The recently built gym looking like a Pokemon Go gym, as well as mentions of a "raid" battle in episode with Lugia make for a surprising inference too.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Looks like Lt. Surge is getting a new gym.

You know, I was a bit hesitant at first but making Ash a Professor's assistant was a good new step in his journey. I mean after 6 regional leagues and champion of the Orange League and Battle Frontier, he finally went to school for a semester and won his first big regional Pokémon League tournament.

This episode gave me exactly what I wanted to see and that was the difference between Ash and Go's research methods. What was even better was that neither of them were wrong. Ivysaur managed to help itself over the wall.

I wonder what's going on with Koharu and Yamper's dislike for Ash. That's intriguing.

Leonhart

Imagineer
CupidKirby said:
Wait, what? It's impossible for Tyranitar or Gyarados to be level 10. Pupitar doesn't evolve until level 55 and Gyarados can't learn Hyper Beam until level 52. The people screaming "Pikachu got reset again" never cease to amaze me. If anything, this episode proves that Pikachu did not get reset because both of those Pokemon are crazy over-powered. One other person in this thread even said that Pikachu shouldn't have been able to defeat them.

I question if Gyarados and Bangiras can really be considered overpowered in the anime, however. We've seen so many of them throughout the years and it seems like they're practically as common as Spear these days, and considering that they were being commanded by Musashi and Kojirou of all people, I feel like they weren't that much of a threat in the first place.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
One thing i wanted to mention is how people kept saying Pikachu almost lost to tyranitar and gyarados. And i mean what? Sure that one solarbeam helped him but Pikachu's one thunderbolt defeated a combo hyperbeam from them and send them all blasting away. Again Pikachu hasn't been reset , yay (unless he loses to scorbunny in the next episode lol)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Remix2 said:
I honestly have no idea why they’re trying to make team rocket threatens again when they lost all credibility since the necrozma arc.

Given all the new changes in this series, I suppose that the writers are simply trying to start over with the Rocket-dan by making them seem more menacing, although I felt that they went about it all wrong here, because their reputation for failure proceeds any changes that they might go through from now on.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I hope TR's presence in this saga is as sparse as it was in SM.

Speaking of them, no matter how well a saga starts off in the JP version, TR (the true Achilles' Heel of said version) never fails to knock it down many pegs. The JP version is at its most watchable when someone other than Miyazaki composes AND TR is absent.

Though only the former happened in this episode, it's still good it did. It's refreshing to have a Pokemon cartoon soundtrack that doesn't scream at the audience. In fact, except for use of leitmotif and instruments from the real-world civilizations that inspired each Pokemon region, Mr. Hayashi's Pokemon music has a lot of things in common with Mr. Goldfarb's Pokemon music.

It's nice to see the Bulbasaur line again.

Oh, and whether this saga engages in continuity or not is of no concern to me.

Remix2

Given all the new changes in this series, I suppose that the writers are simply trying to start over with the Rocket-dan by making them seem more menacing, although I felt that they went about it all wrong here, because their reputation for failure proceeds any changes that they might go through from now on.

That why I think they should do more anime exclusive villain like hunter j.

DatsRight

It's amusing because in the OS a Gyarados was considered way out of TR's league. Now they actually got to use one with no hiccups (besides ultimately losing of course). Wonder if TR will ever get to possess a mythical now they've decayed in elusiveness too.

Concerning Pikachu reseting, I think relatively, it doesn't look like it. Technically, it maybe has, but that's because it HAS to happen each series to some subtle degree otherwise Pikachu at his level at the end of each series would be way too OP. Even in XY you could argue how much Bunnelby and Wobbuffet should have posed a threat to Pikachu at the start of the series, just it doesn't really stick out as ruining the story like him getting thrashed by a barely trained Snivy. Pikachu's always been fallibly competent, only the OS sometimes made him seem DEM-ish.

PokeFreak1200

Finally got around to watching this, and straight away they got the Ash and companion angry at each other episode out of the way. We find out Team Rocket will not be getting new Pokemon most likely, and instead will use gacha(P2W). Hopefully, their appearance will be more refreshing and challenging because of it. Aside from that Gou could not stop blushing this episode. Either their baiting Fujoshis, or Gou might end up being a girl and we switch his VA mid season.

On a side note, it's nice to see Ash is the more athletic of the two. After going on all his adventures and facing life and death situations constantly he should be way more adept at climbing.

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
It's amusing because in the OS a Gyarados was considered way out of TR's league. Now they actually got to use one with no hiccups (besides ultimately losing of course). Wonder if TR will ever get to possess a mythical now they've decayed in elusiveness too.

Honestly to me it seemed like the Rocket-dan having a Gyarados was a direct reference to Kojirou's old Gyarados that he abused as a Koiking, and while it made sense to give the Rocket-dan one now as a callback, I have to wonder why their second new Pokemon wasn't a callback to some previous species of Pokemon that they had a personal bad experience with.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I hope the whole random Pokemon thing for Team Rocket doesn't become a regular thing though it would be funny if wvwry now and then they got a really weak pokemon.I would be fine with every now and then but I like when they actually catch Pokemon also felt like Gou should've used a Ivysaur just for this one battle so he could actually do something.Overall I think this episode was kinda useless except for Team Rockets debut we should've seen Ash Bulbasaur or seen Ash catch a Rookiedee or something.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Officer Jenny outfit looks like a modified version of the original even thought she is from Kanto. Looks less revealing imo probably because it's not like the 1990-2000s drawing styles with micro-skirts, long legs and pinheels which give the impression she's not dressed well as a cop.

As for TRio, so they got access to different Pokemons from a Pokeball machine. That's interesting because there's going to be varieties when they fight against our heroes, but man their blastoffs are so tiring to watch now. Lol, at Go getting fascinated of Meowth speech ability, even though it was done many times in the past. At least, he's more enthusiastic about it compared to the Alola cast which are like "Oh that Meowth is working with bad people".

As for the Pokemon of the day, the Bulbasaur line. It reminds me of way back from the episode when Ash's Bulbasaur refused to evolve in front of its kin.

It was a fine episode, nothing too special if you watched the episode I mentioned above.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Outside of TRio appearing, didn’t really have anything that made me think watching this episode was worth it. Hoping the gacha machine gimmick isn’t permanent for them

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
They should’ve at least done a flashback with Ashs Bulbasaur or something.Or having Giu command one of the Ivyssur to battle Team Rocket could’ve been cool.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
English Rotom Go Ver. confirmed for actually being tolerable to listen to.
https://twitter.com/pkmndub/status/1264262085187457032
That it is. I'd normally question why the JP version ever allowed such a horrible voice in the first place, but then again that is the same version that to this day allows Meowth to annihilate all eardrums unfortunate enough to hear it. Annoying voices are the only thing keeping the now-improved JP version from fully catching up the the dub.