• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ivysaur is Quite Mysterious, Don't You Think So? (1093)

D

Deleted member 384931

That it is. I'd normally question why the JP version ever allowed such a horrible voice in the first place, but then again that is the same version that to this day allows Meowth to annihilate all eardrums unfortunate enough to hear it. Annoying voices are the only thing keeping the now-improved JP version from fully catching up the the dub.
Just watch the version you like and dont critize the other one just because you dont like it. Have a good day!

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Just watch the version you like and dont critize the other one just because you dont like it. Have a good day!
Tell that to the purists. If they won't take that advice, I don't see why I should. Besides, whether we like it or not, it's their right to get on a version's case whenever it ****s up.

And who said I still don't like the JP version? Journeys fixed it just enough to make it watchable. It still has problems, but it at least got rid of the biggest ones that were the reason I once condemned it just for existing.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
RiP Screamydex
"Good riddance Screamydex, you latest member in the long line of the JP version's tinnitus-inducers" is the more appropriate line, I'd say.

Now fix Meowth's JP voice, then the JP version will finally stop living in the dub's shadow.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Sucks the dub removed all personality Goh's Rotom Phone had.

But at least they gave Ash's Rotom Phone one by making exhale between each line for whatever reason. Didn't think Rotom even needed to breathe.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Personality? We've only gotten one Rotom Phone with personality and it has yet to appear in the dub. "SCREAMING" is not in and of itself a personality trait.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
i'm not gonna lie, Gou's line about helping pokemon means they can't live on their own, and that it's human emotions that trigger such responses...reminds me of Cyrus to an extent, at least he's fixing himself about it.

But still that was a strong moment.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Though he really was annoying, especially when his voice cracked into a high-pitched ear-busting tone.
Um, I have, like, no idea who you are referring to right now. Because I was talking about
Team Rocket's Rotom Phone, the super lazy deadpan snarker who is having exactly zero of their nonsense.

Jnmisty

Is it just me or is Chloe a bit distant from Ash and Go? I mean she is not exactly one of the more friendly pokegirls.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Few things about this episode:

TR debuts in episode 3, tied for their latest debut (SM)

This is the earliest that the first filler has ever shown up.

Kanto first filler: episode 8
Orange Islands: episode 6
Johto: episode 4
AG009
DP023
BW08
XY08
SM006
PJ003

The Rotom Phone does three things that annoy me in this series:
-It only has one image of the Pokémon.
-The image is a still image.
-The camera focuses only on the phone until it's finished talking, which is a total waste of screen time and has not always happened in previous generations. It comes across as animation laziness.

So there wasn't even 1 line referencing Ash's Bulbasaur or the mysterious garden? Lame.

The dub did better than the original here, with the title at least, since there's not much else they could have done with the content of the episode if the original handed it to them in such a shabby state.

I don't like the joke of Ash being more touchy with Pokemon now because I felt he should know better of not getting into Pokemon faces like that.

I think you misunderstood this part. Ash was in the right because Goh didn't want to help at all. It had nothing to do with being touchy. It had to do with being helpful, in the typical Ash way. It's not like Ash to stand back when a Pokémon is struggling.

Koharu developing/having feeling for ash confirmed lol.

more like having feeling for Goh lol

was anyone else expecting Beware to catch TRio after they blasted off?

No, and thank God that gag is over.

Jenny changed looks because the old one is too Heisei for the Reiwa era.

Please translate.

A reverse-and-switch won't happen, because the voice of Go (he has a male voice actor).

There are many male characters that have female VAs (especially if the male character is a kid). However, male VAs for female characters doesn't really happen.

Does this then mean that the VA industry as a whole is way more than 50% women then?

I wonder what "Ultimate Weapon" is what Giovanni said he created.

It's AZ's.

I am not aware of things like Raids, that “gym” from the GO games, and gacha so I was pretty clueless when the anime started spouting out these things.

Well then get familiar lol? It's ok if you don't know stuff when you're watching the show, the goal of the show is to advertise these things to you lol. If you've never had this experience before, because you've always known, then I'm sure it's different for you but it's not a bad thing, the anime is meant to *teach* people about stuff they don't know from the games since it's a marketing tool for the games lol. They don't expect you to know.

not sure why they hyped up those Pokémon as handpicks from their Boss himself only to have them job so easily. Pikachu blowing through two Hyper Beams and KO’ing both Pokemon was just silly.

How was it silly? How did they job? Did you figure out that these Pokémon are stronger than 90% of Pokémon on the planet, and Pikachu who's defeated 4 legendaries and just became a champion 5 episodes ago by beating Tapu Koko was one of the only Pokémon that could have beaten them?

Definitely would have preferred the Fushigisou army beating them with Solar Beam

How would that have made sense when Pikachu is stronger than any of them?

I gave up on the dub since 2009 but saw the last two movies dubbed and was shocked how much better than the series it is.

As for no Delibird maybe TR has expanded and he was off doing something else

That's because now the movies are in an AU

It’s possible the new writers either don’t know or care about certain older stuff. I mean the writers may have never seen the show. I’m always curious on the process for newer writers and if they are told about older stuff or not

Yeah, you're right, and it kind of depresses me to think that I know more about this franchise than actual people working on it.

I just wish they would focus on Swsh... I do like the new series, its better than SM for me, but I would rather see Swsh promotion

I don't think it makes sense for Ash to do the silly gym/badge quest anymore now that he's a Champion

I wonder how long can they make up special events that nobody heard of during the original travels through the regions?

Well if you think about it, that's what they did all along for fillers. I see no problem with them taking creative liberties and scaling that up to the franchise as a whole.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
It's still more tolerable than the Rotomdex by a regional mile

Screamydex is the best character and I'm not surprised that the dub got it wrong
I was quite okay with Rotom Dex for the most part tbh. Even if he did get one of the worst episodes in Sun & Moon and argh I'm still not over how incredibly dumb the "Rotom gets offered a TV role" episode was.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I was quite okay with Rotom Dex for the most part tbh. Even if he did get one of the worst episodes in Sun & Moon and argh I'm still not over how incredibly dumb the "Rotom gets offered a TV role" episode was.
It was surprisingly good until Ash freaked out that it would have to leave, and then it somehow fell further than it rose, which tells you all the need to know about the quality change

Thanks, Status Quo Is God, for continuously slaughtering otherwise good episodes