• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jan 12th: SM10 - Will the Z-Move Work?! Challenging the Grand Trial!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epicocity

The cemetery, the meadow, that mountainous area on the back of the island, that bay where Mareanie is found... really, they've been mostly confined to a few areas.

Because what's to stop them from rushing through the other islands at a similar rate? Let's say Ash does win against Hala and leaves for Akala in episode 15-20. IMO, with everything Akala has to offer, Ash should not be spending fewer than 40 episodes on there. If they were to rush it, he'd only be on there for around eepisodes. At that rate, we'd be 45 episodes in, and Ash would be done with two islands. Conversely, I don't want to see him spend like 50+ episodes on Akala because what is he going to do on there that's going to do on there that's going to take that long? At least on Melemele you have the school stuff going on and all these other characters to interact with. That will be virtually lost when he gets to Akala.

Either way, there will be a stretch of filler at some point.

Because they're all longer. The same rate would imply, then, that every 9 episodes we clear an island. If not, you're looking at roughly 30 episodes at worst, but I doubt that would happen. Barring DP, we've traditionally cleared the first gym battle at a very quick rate, and the only reason we didn't in DP was because we had Paul and Contests to fill in that time. Clearing the first trial/Gran Trial in 10 episodes is about par for the course and actually feels far longer than usual. There's really nothing to worry about in that regard. Besides, we've no idea how they plan to handle the villainous plot yet, which does factor things...

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Because they're all longer. The same rate would imply, then, that every 9 episodes we clear an island. If not, you're looking at roughly 30 episodes at worst, but I doubt that would happen. Barring DP, we've traditionally cleared the first gym battle at a very quick rate, and the only reason we didn't in DP was because we had Paul and Contests to fill in that time. Clearing the first trial/Gran Trial in 10 episodes is about par for the course and actually feels far longer than usual. There's really nothing to worry about in that regard. Besides, we've no idea how they plan to handle the villainous plot yet, which does factor things...
Obviously he's not clearing an island every 9 episodes. But if it continues at this rate, Ash will either be clearing those trials pretty quickly or there will be filler hell at some point unless that villainous team arc is like 30+ episodes long.
That, and it doesn't sit right with me if he's only on Melemele for like 15-20 episodes and on Akala for like 40. That just sends the message that Melemele is less important when it shouldn't be because it's like a home base with the school and all. You'd think he'd spend more time there before taking off.

Also, in this case, you've got the school stuff going on so that's what's dragging things out this time. I think it works here as well.

Either way, I find it interesting that there's no decisive evidence that Ash wins or loses. There's evidence to suggest both may happen, but really, it's anyone's game.

JD

I do wonder if Ash will win here or not, based on the upcoming episodes it seems like he might win.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Even i admit the fact that there is no rematch in sight is pretty solid evidence. And even the upcoming episodes have this feeling of wrapping up Melemele Island.
SM11: Kiawe focus
SM12: Mareanie capture for James
SM13: filler
SM14: Lillie gets Vulpix

Honestly, if Ash wins, they might as well do the Mallow episode and the Litten capture in SM15 & 16 and ship Ash and Lillie off to Akala in SM 17. Like I said earlier, if he wins against Hala, there's no reason for him to stick around Melemele at all. I don't like it, I still think it's rushed, but it is what it is.

And yet... there's no denying that Ash is getting his butt kicked by Hala in that preview. The summary for SM11 says he's practicing Z-Moves, which he wouldn't be doing if he won unless he gets a different Z-Crystal from Hala. And I still think the fact that the title questions whether or not the Z-Move will work makes me think it might fail at the last second or something.

We'll see.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
I would love it if Ash actually practiced sending out Rowlet in this episode. I mean, one of the most important thing when it comes to competition is your mentality entering it, so always being ready to battle is something Ash has to teach Rowlet (or else we get Lenora 2.0)

Mr. Guy

Banned
Ash could get lucky and manage a win without using a Z-Move, or he does manage to use it, but still has a long way to go before it's perfect, and keeps practicing.

jrizza88

Meteorite
Ash could get lucky and manage a win without using a Z-Move, or he does manage to use it, but still has a long way to go before it's perfect, and keeps practicing.

I have a feeling Ash's second challenge will be the trail where he loses. I predict a Unova 2.0 in terms of it being the two starters (here is me assuming it will be Litten and Rowlet) for the second challenge, with Pikachu sitting that one out. This time they lose the first battle?

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I would love it if Ash actually practiced sending out Rowlet in this episode. I mean, one of the most important thing when it comes to competition is your mentality entering it, so always being ready to battle is something Ash has to teach Rowlet (or else we get Lenora 2.0)

Yeah I think Ash is trying to train Rowlet into getting ready for battle since Rowlet is constantly shown tired or sleeping when calling it out.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
If Ash does win here, I'm definitely disappointed that not everyone is here and that its basically just Ash, Hala and Professor Kukui.

Where's the audience to watch Ash battle? If he loses, fine, maybe in one of the following episodes but if he wins.....

why does their have to be audience? There never has been much of one in the past.

this is not a league caliber match.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
why does their have to be audience? There never has been much of one in the past.

this is not a league caliber match.

But his friends were there to support him.
I'd be disappointed too if not all of the Alola gang are here to watch.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I think it would be an interesting change of pace to see how Ash battles without being cheered on, do you think most people he meets who don't travel in groups like he has have the benefit of being "cheered on?" when they go into important fights?

Not to mention it means more battle focus, which is what I would prefer to talking that takes away from the fight.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Rotomdex is the companion and the audience.

He's perfect. A talking robot who knows Pokemon and is kind enough to remind the dumb viewers how each attack works and friendly versions of Pokemon facts that cut off the really gritty bits.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
If Ash does win here, I'm definitely disappointed that not everyone is here and that its basically just Ash, Hala and Professor Kukui.

Where's the audience to watch Ash battle? If he loses, fine, maybe in one of the following episodes but if he wins.....

I wish they would have shown the little stage/stand they have in the games that Hala has his trial on. That stage/stand is iconic for the first island imo!

snorlax512

There will most likely be an audience of some sort, because they need someone to commentate on the battles so that we understand the strategies being used. There was always someone (Brock --> Cilan --> Clemont)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
There will most likely be an audience of some sort, because they need someone to commentate on the battles so that we understand the strategies being used. There was always someone (Brock --> Cilan --> Clemont)

That's where Rotomdex comes in, commentating on the battles and strategies (and freaking out when Ash uses a battle tactic that seemingly contradicts with its programmed battle logic).

snorlax512

That's where Rotomdex comes in, commentating on the battles and strategies (and freaking out when Ash uses a battle tactic that seemingly contradicts with its programmed battle logic).
Rotom seems kinda dumb though...
There will probably be an audience still since it would look weird if Rotom was talking to himself

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
There will probably be an audience still since it would look weird if Rotom was talking to himself

LOL idk why your post made me giggle :p
i agree tho, the chances that absolutely no one is watching is slim... (Ash has a tapu stalker)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

Not so much "dumb" as its programming is limited. Rotomdex has done quite a bit of talking to itself already. I think it can get a pass on that, though, since it's more or less a possessed computerized encyclopedia. :p But I agree, there will probably be an audience - even if that audience is just Professor Kukui officiating the match and responding to Rotomdex's commentary. And, of course, Tapu Stalker Koko, observing from the shadows.

Status
Not open for further replies.