1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

January 12th: PM2019 008: Don't Give In, Pochama! An Ice Floe Race in the Sinnoh Region!!

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Nov 8, 2019 at 6:15 AM.

1. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

I don't think the series is going to be THAT chaotic, I'm sure if its important they'll have episodes in a row in the same location. Though I do agree it will depend on the plot.

I don't think they're going to get rid of two parters or three parters completely (in relation to plot).

2. Rohanator

Rohanator Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I'm sure there will be arcs in general, I just mean that they won't be regional, like "we explore this region for a few episodes and move to the next etc". I like SM a lot and a show about random episodic adventures in constantly changing locations is nothing unusual so I'm all for this, the idea that a past character would get an extended return in each region was just nice and that's pretty safely dashed now.

3. Rohanator

Yes except it's not "filler", it's the main point of the series, episodic stories. That's what Pokemon is at it's core, what the first season was and what Sun&Moon made great again and PM2019 will continue to emphasize.

Jolepo, Blue Saturday, i2i and 5 others like this.
  4. Bortgreen

Bortgreen Pocket Monsters looks great!

If the premise of the new series is just catching and learning about pokémon, it's hard to even have a filler

5. Rohanator

And why is "plot" important? Seriously, what about the plot of Pokemon is so deep and impressive that makes it more important to see than the "fillers"? Pokemon is about exploring the world and ways people and Pokemon coexist, seeing fun creative things and exploring themes related to real life through a fictional lens, like all good stories, especially children's media should be. You can do that through extended arcs, sure, you can have a larger ongoing narrative about a specific theme that runs throughout a series, but Pokemon has ALWAYS primarily done that through single episode stories. To call those episodes irrelevant is to call Pokemon itself irrelevant imo, and undermines most of the hardwork put into it. As far as what I've seen from Pokemon, it seems way easier to write some generic good VS evil plot than it is to write an actually good episodic show.

(also character development is a pretty loose concept in this case, if the characters are constantly learning about the world and making subtle growth if not by themselves then in terms of their interactions with each other, which is typical for this kind of show, then would you still call that filler?)

6. Kazuniya

Kazuniya Well-Known Member

Legit, some filler episodes are better than some "plot" episodes.

7. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

The premise of this series is literally a world tour. It's hard to fathom filler in what so far appears episodic series. That's like saying Spongebob has filler.

Sham, i2i, lolipiece and 3 others like this.
  8. dman_dustin

Would rather have 20 episodes revolved around someone's Impidimp in terms of development for example than 20 random episodes that just randomly exist for the sake of padding.

Not saying those 20 random episodes will suck or that the 20 episodes of Impidimp will be great and fantastic. But I'll take character development over irrelevant episodes any day (especially if Pikachu is only main character Pokemon that shows up). Again I'm not saying they're can't be irrelevant episodes, I just prefer character development.

For example, I would take episodes of Ash actually battling with Torracat over an episode about Ash doing sports with Passimian (especially since that one didn't even air for a stupid reason, in case you argue, Passimian is a Pokemon an animal).

Though I will give Sun and Moon props in that its hard to pick out a specific filler that would work, since a lot of them came off like character development, like Lana and Dewpider, it wasn't a necessary episode, because nothing happened BUT it did focus on Lana specifically.

I guess I could've chosen the hikers and Alola Golem episode, that I never watched.

Xuxuba and SerGoldenhandtheJust like this.
  9. game3524

game3524 Well-Known Member

Having a bunch of battles isn’t character development.

10. Konja7

Konja7 Well-Known Member

The issue with "fillers" is interesting and complicated.

The "filler" are episodes created to fill something while you get to the main aspects (like plot or character development). When an anime adapts a manga, if the anime create original episodes, these tend to be considered "fillers" too.

However, the case of Pokemon is different, because it's an episodic anime.

So, these episodes can't be really "filler", because the adventures (where you see different Pokemon and places) in these episodes are the main attraction in the anime.

To be clear, anime for children tend to be episodic (even if they have a general arc).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 7:36 PM
  11. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

*Cough* the hoenn aqua vs magma terrible episodes for example *cough* Ghetsis and that whole disgrace to team plasma plot *cough*

Kazuniya and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  12. game3524

game3524 Well-Known Member

Most of evil team arcs are crap. One reason I am glad they aren’t adapting the games anymore. The Flare arc was the only good one.

BabaVanga likes this.
  13. Rohanator

That's the thing though, those random episodes don't exist for padding, they exist for FUN. Just because development sounds more important doesn't mean it'll actually be a more enjoyable experience to watch and insisting that "important" stuff is indeed always important is imo taking a show too seriously. If those 20 Impidimp episodes have some absolutely brilliant narrative pay off and and tmessages that are worth sharing etc etc then sure give em to me but if it's just like...basic kid's show character development stuff then yeah I'll pick the variety, especially since, like you said that SM showed us, most of those random episodes will have some kind of development or deeper stuff anyway. And as much as I personally love battles there's only so much you can do with them, spamming them as much as possible might please the fans but I wouldn't really...respect the show. Kinda like One Piece VS Dragon Ball, DB (especially nowadays) goes all out on the action which can be cool and while I'd like for One Piece to have more fights than it does OP is just so much better as an overall show because of all the other things it has. This is what SM is like for me, yeah I would have liked to have seen more battles but I think it was ultimately better the way it was.

14. Soniman

Soniman Break the Limit

I think the only anime STORY PLOT (if that's what we are talking about in this context) that was worth anything was XY'S Team Flare. Because outside of checklist goals the evil team stuff is the only thing the anime has for an overarching narrative and usually they are either mediocre or bad. I definitely think filler does exist and in generally just always prefer good chstacter/Important battle episodes over most good filler...I don't want PM to be just Ash and Go hopping around regions with no real direction for the next 3 years. It just doesn't sound engaging to me even if it's "fun", even more so if there's not any continuity again.

15. Konja7

Konja7 Well-Known Member

These Episodes existing for FUN is exactly the point.

When I was a kid, I remember being entertained with single adventures (where you see new Pokemon and places) that Ash and his companions lived each episode. I wasn't so interested in an overarching plot.

The main audience of Pokemon anime is children. So, they write Pokemon with the episodic style so common in children anime.

16. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

Agreed. TR plots in unova were amazing credit to that. The train plot, the tornadus thundurus landorus plot, and then operation tempest plot was great. XY plot was amazing. DP plot was amazing. SM had a good guzma arc despite his short time and the skull gang was fun and wasn't ever presented as a major threat. Lots of people have differing opinions to the aether not being villains but i liked it TBH. But the magma aqua and plasma grinds my gears. I wouldnt have minded the plasma plot if it involved kyurem. Why did they have to suddenly arsepull reshiram out of nowhere while focusing on BW2 story. I get those two episodes were postponed but why never air them? Why just donr rewrite Original team plasma back into the plot. Were they not supposed to have more episodes after those two? Unova anime really vexes me

mysticalglacia and mehmeh1 like this.
  17. Rohanator

I mean I'm sure PM2019 WILL have all the more "important" stuff that at least Sun&Moon had (which means that when it wants to the battles will be absolutely amazing) due to the remaining staff and it just overall seeming like a spiritual successor to it. SM did a great job mixing development into the episodic. I just don't want the point of the episodic to be missed. The creators aren't just churning out whatever random garbage they can muster while they wait to work on the next episode where a Pokemon learns a move, it takes real effort and talent to make those stories.

i2i and SerGoldenhandtheJust like this.
  18. MartínK

MartínK Well-Known Member

I don't think it's Brock's Croagunk but i hope that Piplup will be Dawn's

19. dman_dustin

I legit thought this was a new title that had Pancham in an episode. And I'm like "what another new episode" until I realized it said Pochama, and then I realized if it was about Pancham it would probably say "Yancham" so that happened.

Anyway I do wonder if we'll get a proper summary for this episode soon, to quell any speculation or at least give us an idea of what's going on.

Because I question what Go's role if anything will be in this episode, if Ash's role is that his Pikachu rides Mantyke.

20. Ignition

Ignition Obliterated a god with the power of friendship

*Reads title*
    *inner DP filled childhood intensifies*

Sinnoh confirmed!

Kuzehiko likes this.