• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

January 20th: SM105 - Lugarugan Showdown! Satoshi VS Gladio!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
While working on her research project, Lilie travels around Poni Island observing the various Pokémon living there. Suddenly, her older brother Gladio appears before her. Lilie is happy to be reunited with her brother, whom she hasn't seen in a while, but...

--

Satoshi and the others are working on research projects on Poni Island. Lilie is observing Poni Island's Pokémon when she encounters her older brother Gladio. What is Gladio thinking about here on Poni Island? Satoshi and Gladio also decide to have a battle between their Lugarugan!

--

While Satoshi's classmate Lilie is observing the Pokémon on Poni Island, she encounters her older brother Gladio. What is Gladio thinking about while he's staying on Poni Island? And in the middle of all this, Satoshi and Gladio end up having a battle between their Lugarugan.

Screenplay 冨岡淳広 (Atsuhiro Tomioka)
Storyboard 関根昌弘 (Masahiro Sekine)
Episode Director たかたまさひろ (Masahiro Takata)
Animation Director 岡昭彦 (Akihiko Oka)

Last edited:

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Great, Lillie wants to catch up and then Ash wants a battle. Thanks, Ash. Maybe this is where Lillie and Gladion will talk about their father.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
LMAO straight up sounds like Gladion doesn't give a **** about his sister.

Yeah agreed that I see Ash losing here, which of course would be the typical, Ash loses to rival before league before beating him in the league. But at this very moment, a loss would do Ash some good. He's not battled in a long time.

xEryChan

Demon Child
Definitely agree with everyone else that it looks like Ash is going to lose this battle but we all know he is going to beat Gladion at the League sp they have to set up for that fight. I’m happy that the Edgelord is returning after so long and I must admit, I was cheering whem I saw that preview.

playerking

I think with both Z-Moves being used, this could go to either Gladion or be a draw.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
So gladion's lycannroc looks to be lycannroc's main rival, then who will be challenging his silvally then.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Pikachu maybe? Then maybe Torracat can face off against Umbreon.

Not pikachu, he already has rival in form of tapu koko no need to wank pikachu more. I would rather have lycannroc take on both lycannroc and silvally, or even incineroar if ash's torracat ever evolves.

playerking

Not pikachu, he already has rival in form of tapu koko no need to wank pikachu more. I would rather have lycannroc take on both lycannroc and silvally, or even incineroar if ash's torracat ever evolves.
Well then Rowlet or another possible future catch. Also, Torracat has a rival in Incineroar, just like Pikachu has a rival in Tapu Koko, so why can Torracat/Incineroar fight it but Pikachu can't?

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Why can't Pikachu have two rivals? Or for that matter, why can't Lycanroc?

Xuxuba

Wish i was more excited about this episode, but Gladion just has no luck when it comes to the way his relationships are portrayed in this series.

I can count on one hand the times he had some bonding time with Lillie and, aside from a few brief moments in the AF arc, all of these interactions went nowhere in terms of developing their relationship as siblings.

Weren't they supposed to become closer after the events of the AF arc? After all, he said himself that the reason why he became distant was because of the blame he felt for allowing Nihilego to attack Lillie.

However, billions of episodes later and they are still so distant that even Ash acts more like her brother than Gladion does.

So, what is the excuse now? I thought he was supposed to care a lot about his sister...

Now, his rivalry with Ash is not much better either. He does not appear often and, when he does, they rarely battle and, when they do battle, the battle is either interrupted or really quick.

Did they battle like what... twice? And one of them was interrupted? If they are going to overlook this rivalry, then why hype it so much on the promos?

I mean, the writers probably realized how much they neglected their rivalry and that is why we are having this episode this late in the series, but at this point it feels like beating a dead horse. It's hard for me to care about their rivalry when they put it on hold for such a long time.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Staff member
Weren't they supposed to become closer after the events of the AF arc? After all, he said himself that the reason why he became distant was because of the blame he felt for allowing Nihilego to attack Lillie.

However, billions of episodes later and they are still so distant that even Ash acts more like her brother than Gladion does.

So, what is the excuse now? I thought he was supposed to care a lot about his sister...

Just because he's distant doesn't mean he doesn't care. Some people are just like that.

Gladion's a serious loner, while Ash is far more social and emotive. That's the contrast between them.

Xuxuba

Just because he's distant doesn't mean he doesn't care. Some people are just like that.

Gladion's a serious loner, while Ash is far more social and emotive. That's the contrast between them.
If he cared so much about Lillie, then he would give up at least a little bit of his alone time (which he has a lot) to spend some time with his sister, who clearly longs for a closer relationship, instead of not being present for months and then completely ignoring her while she is there.

The series made it pretty clear that the distance between them was a problem and not just some personality trait. Yet, they rarely addressed this problem after estabilishing it even when the episode had focus on them.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Staff member
If he cared so much about Lillie, then he would give up at least a little bit of his alone time (which he has a lot) to spend some time with his sister, who clearly longs for a closer relationship, instead of not being present for months and then completely ignoring her while she is there.

The series made it pretty clear that the distance between them was a problem and not just some personality trait. Yet, they rarely addressed this problem after estabilishing it even when the episode had focus on them.

I mean, the Poni arc preview already confirms they're getting at least one moment together alone and it's going to be plot relevant, so I'm not sure why you're acting like it can't change or anything.

Xuxuba

I mean, the Poni arc preview already confirms they're getting at least one moment together alone and it's going to be plot relevant, so I'm not sure why you're acting like it can't change or anything.
The problem is how long it took for their relationship to actually develop.

Gladion first appeared in episode 27 and only now, 78 episodes later, they are doing something with it.

That is if they are actually planning to do something with them in this episode, instead of just copying episode 27 where Lillie sees her brother after a really long time and then Ash steals all of Gladion's attention by battling with him.

You might say they did develop back in the AF arc, but like what exactly changed here? Their relationship still remained the same despite the events involving Nihilego.

What is the point of setting up a flawed sibling relationship between major characters and then not touching on the subject for almost the entirety series (or even possibly the entire series)?

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Cool, so Gladion is appearing....more precisely, one of the best characters ever in SM in appearing again. Gladion always had peaked my interest and it's no surprising that his reappearance is obviously keeping me interested for this episode. Gladion's serious aura and edginess is something which the casual, sometime way too light-hearted and slice of life atmosphere of SM really needs to turn things more interesting, especially his rivalry aspect with Ash should be focused on more (seriously why the hell can't the writers just have him appear more for this purpose). An edgy serious Gladion is just the right person SM Ash needs as his rival in order to start taking things more seriously and doing stuff like working and training hard (something which we saw Ash doing a lot in previous sagas), instead of his a bit too casual and laid approach he has taken this saga.

So glad that finally after a long time another episode focused on Ash-Gladion rivalry is happening (just hoping that this happens more often now from here on)

And given that Ash's Lycanroc of all things is involved integrally in this episode and is set to have a potentially exciting fight with Gladion's Lycanroc, I can help but to feel hyped for this episode. :)

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

After watching the NYE preview, I’m sure Ash is gonna win their battle because it looks like Lycanroc survives the Z-Move and then launches its own.

What really peaks my interest though is what happens afterwards or before, like what Lillie and Gladion are talking about and if it has any relation to any future events. Finding Mohn perhaps?

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I blame the fact Gladion is just Alain but without the strange Anakin Skywalker discount ticket. I couldn't care any less about him here, unlike the games.
Based on what though? Alain definitely wasn't as edgy as Gladion is, he was sort a bit more friendly and open-hearted, his serious aura only did came out during the high-stake moments/intense battles.

Personality wise they definitely aren't the same if you look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.