• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

January 21st/28th: Pocket Monsters: Arceus, the One Called a God

Ultra Beast Lover

Poor Brock XD, the guy retired from adventuring so he could become a doctor and not have to deal with saving the world over and over again and Uxie/whoever brought him over is just like, "You're needed."

Unpopular opinion, I don’t care about Takeshi coming back.

DP!Trio had pretty poor interactions overall with Hikari/Takeshi being fairly nonexistant. I am glad they had him organically just appear without a ton of fanfare and hype to prop it up, plus Takeshi honestly never really "left" he lasted all of OS - DP, was mentioned in BW then came back for SM and now here he is again.

I'm hoping he offers something to these specials other than fanservice and nostalgia. I think I am finding myself a bit somewhat desensitized to returns...at this point it feels like a lot of hype and quality is meant to come from that somewhat without much effort. I am looking forward to the PWC and Project Mew coming back in to play or some focus on Sarunori/Satoshi mon development so we can get back to PM telling its own story.

Essentially getting another arc. that is kind of a shoutout back to the old DP Galactic arc. after coming from another arc. that took cues from the same arc. is...meh? If you're going to do a return make it about the character returning and who they are and their story not just another face to advance the plot.

Last edited:
Making old characters return now of all times means that there are higher chances to muck their characters given the current writing quality. Dawn was done dirty the last two specials just being there to be a Piplup taxi.

KenzeyEevee

Some ppl have the insight of a Magikarp
Making old characters return now of all times means that there are higher chances to muck their characters given the current writing quality. Dawn was done dirty the last two specials just being there to be a Piplup taxi.
I won't argue with that. Idk to what Serena or Misty would be reduced. I fear it with my life,if Dawn is an example.

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

Yeah, I've been feeling a little meh on character returns too. I love the continuity and that Go is, hopefully, not stealing Brock's role but at the same time, it used to be this big, exciting event when an old character returned. Even when it was the tradition it was still an exciting prospect to see an old friend interact with the new friends. Nowadays it's not a surprise, there's not even really any fanfare most of the time just, "Oh look at that, I remember that character... neat." Gym leaders I understand, the Champions/E4 I kinda get, but there's no pizzazz with the old companions/rivals returning, they just kinda are there.

cricketlaxwolvesbandy

Don’t watch the Pokémon anime.
I won't agrue with that. Idk to what Serena or Misty would be reduced. I fear it with my life,if Dawn is an example.
EXACTLY WHY I DONT WANT OLD CHARACTERS TO RETURN.

Observer

Mostly watching
Poor Brock XD, the guy retired from adventuring so he could become a doctor and not have to deal with saving the world over and over again and Uxie/whoever brought him over is just like, "You're needed."

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

---Michael Corleone, The Godfather part 3

KenzeyEevee

It would take a lot to make Serena look worse.

Namely not letting her win a fight yet again.
Makes you wonder how her battle rounds in contests will go, not like we will hear anything from that tho. I wouldnt be surprised if she appears to be in Kalos again. Tho it is weird she didnt win a fight in a region as battle heavy as Kalos.

Why did they wait so long to do a proper Stark Mountain adaptation
Because there's no feasible way to skip the battle facilities without Ash noticing, but Journeys possesses a skip travel button.

KenzeyEevee

Because there's no feasible way to skip the battle facilities without Ash noticing, but Journeys possesses a skip travel button.
Who knows? You would have thought in that year between the 7th and 8th badge in DP they would have found time for a Stark Mountain episode. Tho it screams something JOURNEYS would do type of thing.

Is anybody actually expecting Brock to really do anything significant here? Oh well, at least that is one more character we can cross off the list potential cameos.
He’s going to be Uxie’s Taxi.

Honestly I wonder if he’ll go to the past. Exposition character like Shirona? Checklist returns are meh.

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

Is anybody actually expecting Brock to really do anything significant here? Oh well, at least that is one more character we can cross off the list potential cameos.

Brock is a doctor, so his role will likely be with the Medical Corp while they’re in Hisui. Besides battling the villains, I’m most excited to see his interactions with Ash, Dawn, and Goh.

Besides Tracey Kiawe and the Soph, Brock hasn’t actually met any of Ash’s male companions while Ash was in attendance. Even with them though, Brock never got the chance to truly get to know them and their relationship with Ash. I feel like Brock and Goh’s dynamic will be pretty cool to see.