• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

January 22nd: PM2019 052 - Hands-On Agriculture Studies! Where is Digda?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazySpy

Kimty
I actually like most of the slice of life episodes in the anime, but sometimes they can be jarring.

In the last episode, Goh was apparently watching a Youtube video showing him how to cook something (we don't actually see the screen but he had his Rotom phone propped up like an iPad), and it felt surreal. I can tolerate the occasional car, and even the normal school that Koharu goes to, but the usage of digital and media technologies from our world seems to break my suspension of disbelief
Existence of cars, schools, youtube etc in the Pokemon world doesn't contradict anything about this setting. There's no reason to believe any of these things could not have developed in the Pokemon world in the same way they did in ours.

Also, suspension of disbelief is not really an accurate word to describe what you're saying, I think you meant "immersion". Why would the existence of phones, youtube and such things ruin your immersion, or as you're describing it "break your suspension of disbelief"?

Actually, no. The only ones to have some pink were Dawn, Iris, and Serena post design change. And even then it was just a little pink in their outfits. If anything Chloe's the first girl wear a lot of pink, and even then it's just a few times...
Bonnie had that pink ninja outfit and she wore it more than once.

On Topic: Don't have many expectations for this episode. A (most likely)filler featuring Kanto pandering.

It is a nice change to see dirt/mud on Diglett. Realistic animation is always welcomed.

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!
Existence of cars, schools, youtube etc in the Pokemon world doesn't contradict anything about this setting. There's no reason to believe any of these things could not have developed in the Pokemon world in the same way they did in ours.

Also, suspension of disbelief is not really an accurate word to describe what you're saying, I think you meant "immersion". Why would the existence of phones, youtube and such things ruin your immersion, or as you're describing it "break your suspension of disbelief"?

I didn't say the schools or the email thing broke the immersion for me; it's very plausible that they could exist in that world. Heck, in some of the main series games you can check your PC and there's an email there I believe.

It was the fact Goh was apparently watching videos on his phone showing him how to cook something that pulled me through the fourth wall. Although we never see the screen nor hear audio so it's possible he was actually browsing the internet. I guess maybe I subconsciously associate watching YouTube instructional videos with generation z/millennials and so it feels weird when people in a fictional world with its own culture do that, too?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I actually like most of the slice of life episodes in the anime, but sometimes they can be jarring.

In the last episode, Goh was apparently watching a Youtube video showing him how to cook something (we don't actually see the screen but he had his Rotom phone propped up like an iPad), and it felt surreal. I can tolerate the occasional car, and even the normal school that Koharu goes to, but the usage of digital and media technologies from our world seems to break my suspension of disbelief
The progression of technology in the poke-world is really weird

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I didn't say the schools or the email thing broke the immersion for me; it's very plausible that they could exist in that world. Heck, in some of the main series games you can check your PC and there's an email there I believe.

It was the fact Goh was apparently watching videos on his phone showing him how to cook something that pulled me through the fourth wall. Although we never see the screen nor hear audio so it's possible he was actually browsing the internet. I guess maybe I subconsciously associate watching YouTube instructional videos with generation z/millennials and so it feels weird when people in a fictional world with its own culture do that, too?
This is the world that had fully functioning video phones in the '90s and yet that is what breaks immersion for you?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Pokémon basically created Skype. Gotta respect that

LazySpy

Kimty
The way you phrased your initial post gave me the impression that you're implying there's context in which cars, schools etc wouldn't be tolerable in this universe, hence my inclusion of these things in my post.

But since you clarified your position on that, I'll rather focus on this part:
I still fail to see how that's jarring, as all of what you said is still not a contradiction of anything that exists and happens in the Pokemon universe. On the contrary, given what is shown about this culture and the state of Pokemon world's technology, it's rather naturall, as there is evidence in the show that internet exists in this world, and there's no reason to think it couldn't have been developed. Its existence is therefore plausible, and again, I fail to see how it would break anyone's immersion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.