• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

January 28th: PM2019 095 - Farewell! The Wandering Rocket Gang!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

Gotta say seeing these two coming back still shocks me a little given I thought their roles were more or less usurped by Matori's higher role as a "rival" and in-general they feel unnecessary. The whole point of their rivalry was TRio being the losers and them being far superior as a duo to Musashi and Kojrou but that's not the case anymore...TRio aren't really in "poverty" anymore as that gag was done away with after the DP-era and they received more elaborate forms of tech/traps with no need for basic pitholes anymore. They took credit for things and Sakaki took them a bit more seriously and they even were given the "Gatcha Machine" because of their work.

It's going to be a bit interesting how they've evolved since...well Yamato and Kosaburo were mostly playing a comedic cloned role to Musashi/Kojirou in the "Chronicles" episodes and pretty much were just outright clones in DP and minor pest at best. Their best episoode was the Orange Islands one that showcased what made them threatening...they work smarter and not harder. Using a super trained Sleep and creating the device to hypnotize the Pokemon on the island. Them entering "retirement" or a more normal lifestyle like TRio had in Alola sounds interesting.
I suppose it might be considered something that still plays off their former role with the Trio, that they slowly devolved too, but had the common sense to call it quits and make better lives for themselves, thus still being an object of envy for the main trio. It wasn't really strictly they were better villains (they always lost to Ash and TRio onscreen after all), but more their default lifestyle and careers were cushier and more successful than them, they were basically their Squilliam or Gladstone Gander.

That or you know, the fact Jessie and James got promoted over them while no one can even remember Biff's name finally cracked them. XD

bring back seviper, carnivine, yanmega, mime jr, inkay, and gourgeist

bring chimecho back too
I admit to being disappointed they never used the Gacha to have one of their old Pokemon in HQ cameo again.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Love u TR forever

ImBeVillain

No more six members
If they are well written, they are great. The problem is, they are not always well written.
Excatly, i hated them most in XY series but later i loved them in SM series.

In XY they brutally treated to protagonists and wild pokemon.
I can't even ignore James, he wasn't even a good man in this series.

In the Sun Moon series, they had a very good balance with the handling of pokemons.

In fact, I'd love to see yet these Trio in Journeys, but already as ex-members of Team R.
I'm not saying that when they finish working with Team Rocket and are supposed to disappear from the screen immediately, they should do something even better than robbing pokemons. For example, taking part in a Pokemon contest. Jessie deserves to win a big tournament.

In the Sun Moon series, they had a very good balance with the handling of pokemons.

In fact, I'd love to see yet these Trio in Journeys, but already as ex-members of Team R.
I'm not saying that when they finish working with Team Rocket and are supposed to disappear from the screen immediately, they should do something even better than robbing pokemons. For example, taking part in a Pokemon contest. Jessie deserves to win a big tournament.
Definitely. They were not great in XY (will ignore the original series). In SM and DP they were great. As for Journeys, we will see what they do. If they had more story that would be great.
Well, we will see when this episode airs.

D

Deleted member 384931

If that happen it will be the saddest day for me as i have been attached to these guys for past 20 years but hoping they give them a proper conclusion if they quits Team Rocket
I mean even if they dont quit, it is nice that they think about what their goals will be after. They never did that before as a Trio. In DP Meowth and Jessie "quit" cause Meowths noodles business and Jessie contests, James stayed. In XY, it was Jessie who wanted to quit to marry that doctor, James and Meowth stayed. But in Journeys?

-Meowth who wanted to get caught by Koharu.
-Jessie her actress thing in the Ditto episode.
-They sabotaging Matori.

Asked Gou and Satoshi for help in:
-The Ditto episode: Jessie her wink thing with Satoshi before Thunderbolting them.
-Helped them in the vacation episode to defeat Matori.
-the Zapdos episode
-The Morpeko episode
-hell they even returned the electricity they stole for Morpeko to Jenny.

And they arent really sucessful in stealing pokemon anymore either. Heck, they havent even used ONE robot in Journeys to capture. Pokémon.. Only nets and cages.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 384931

I have no idea why the mechs stopped, there's tons of silly creative ones they could've kept doing
I know right lol. It is VERY weird. They did the same in BW, but BW Team Rocket was more serious back then.

RafaSceptile

Honestly not many episodes about TRio were that great outside of the Wobbuffet, Evil Malamar and Gourgeist episodes, and most of their appearences were very boring with some outliers.

D

Deleted member 384931

Honestly not many episodes about TRio were that great outside of the Wobbuffet, Evil Malamar and Gourgeist episodes, and most of their appearences were very boring with some outliers.
Yeah. The formula didnt work anymore at that point, which I understand. Tho it was actually beaten to death in DP. In SM and BW they tried different stuff and no idea what they try in JN.

DatsRight

Yeah. The formula didnt work anymore at that point, which I understand. Tho it was actually beaten to death in DP. In SM and BW they tried different stuff and no idea what they try in JN.
XY was when they clearly just weren't trying with the old formula anymore and it was just being used as padding. The first half had moments of effort but by XYZ they were back to all their plans being the same level of incompetence and not even having funny interactions with the twerps like they at least sometimes had in previous series. It was all automated and even worse they went back to using them nearly all the time.

SM could have done more with TR (especially with them actually getting the region gimmick and powerful Pokemon) but the spontaneity of that series at least meant their characters shone again and they weren't just stuck in a super bland and repetitive rivalry against the twerps. Ultra Legends was perhaps the best they'd been since the OS.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 384931

XY was when they clearly just weren't trying with the old formula anymore and it was just being used as padding. The first half had moments of effort but by XYZ they were back to all their plans being the same level of incompetence and not even having funny interactions with the twerps like they at least sometimes had in previous series. It was all automated and even worse they went back to using them nearly all the time.

SM could have done more with TR (especially with them actually getting the region gimmick and powerful Pokemon) but the spontaneity of that series at least meant their characters shone again and they weren't just stuck in a super bland and repetitive rivalry against the twerps. Ultra Legends was perhaps the best they'd been since the OS.
And I honestly don't know how to feel about how Journeys treats Team Rocket. It isnt bad, but not great either.

DatsRight

And I honestly don't know how to feel about how Journeys treats Team Rocket. It isnt bad, but not great either.
Journeys feels kind of directionless in terms of its mainstays really. While SM was mass-experimenting but tried SOME bits of recurrent plots and substance, Journeys just seems to be throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks, so it doesn't really culminate to anything.

They at least don't feel like an afterthought as much as in previous series because EVERYTHING is like that in Journeys, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.