• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

January 29th: PM2019 053 - Getting a Legend?! Search for Suicune, the Guardian Deity of Water!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
I am very sorry, but you are going to have a hard time watching this series if you can only think about how Goh’s actions (which is never going to change) impacts Ash in a negative way. Goh is going to have spotlight whether it is “hogging that spotlight” or sharing it with Ash. You think Goh is just going to stand in the corner and have a staring contest with cinderace and Koharu? The characters are bound to do something, even if it means “looking more superior to the other character”. Speaking of which, Goh and Ash were alongside each other while facing off mewtwo, shouldn’t even been seen as a negative thing. After all, this series is not called “Ash Ketchum”. Ash’s accomplishments does not determine what benefits he will be getting in upcoming series. Heck, I mean Ash defeated a legendary bird and a Latios, and then and got his ass kicked by a snivy in the Unova region. “Ash looks like an idiot when Goh does this....”, even though Ash doesn’t seem to care or even be bothered by it. Yeah, ok. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Goh manages to beat Ash in a battle.

Wish I could give this post a million and one likes, the main narrative surrounding the character is his goal of catching them all. He’s going to try that just like Satoshi’s is facing Dande so why even follow the show when the central narrative of half the show is going to be causing an uproar in you also because “MUH ASH!” The obsession people have with Satoshi being “upstaged” or “insulted” by many who project onto him has got to stop. I understand he’s many peoples childhood hero and many of us grew up alongside him and his adventures but you gotta get a grip at some point.

Objectively wanting other character to never receive anything that remotely is better or equals what they receive is terrible and boring writing. I don’t want to watch a show where one character is only allowed to shine heavily or pull unpredictable or exciting things. It’s boring and unnecessary. Y’all were cool with Satoshi constantly stepping foot into the Coordinators territory because Contest were a “girl” thing but because Gou’s goal has crossover into Satoshi’s field he has to “stay in his place?”

Watershuriken97

Y’all were cool with Satoshi constantly stepping foot into the Coordinators territory because Contest were a “girl” thing but because Gou’s goal has crossover into Satoshi’s field he has to “stay in his place?”

This is one of the most accurate takes i've seen. Remember when Ash and May had a tie during a contest? i bet you all Goh haters loved to see that moment because of how cool it was for Ash (and May). But Goh being decent in normal battles is unthinkable? XD
Even though he has a (technically) champion level trainer as his companion.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
This is one of the most accurate takes i've seen. Remember when Ash and May had a tie during a contest? i bet you all Goh haters loved to see that moment because of how cool it was for Ash (and May). But Goh being decent in normal battles is unthinkable? XD
Even though he has a (technically) champion level trainer as his companion.

Tbh that episode just cemented for me just how dumb the concept of contest are.

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
It looks like Cinderace gets poisoned by Muk in the extended trailer, so I guess this will be Lucarios time to shine?

Also Suicune seems to be captured at 2 separate points in the episode, when it has the net wrapped around its neck on the truck, and when it just has the 2 guys holding it in the net.

ChampioN One

The chosen One!
I knew that getting legendary isn't rare when a random guy showed up with heatran in Sinnoh lol.
And also there was trollbias and nurse joy's latias.

Crybaby Sobble

S = Sarunori = Satoshi
Ash met a lot of legendaries alright... But how many times did he show an actual DESIRE to catch them? Or was specifically working to meet and battle/catch them as opposed to just randomly finding them because they were all curious about the Pallet Boy Ho-Oh won't shut up about in every legend assembly?

Really, Ash can have legends. Maybe at some point he'll have a legend himself. But there's no issue on Goh getting one before him because... Goh's goal is all about catching Pokémon. And not a specific kind but every pokémon. And at some point, he'll have to do something about those legends.
Well you have good points. But Goh's goal is to catch a lot of Legendaries with no effort, then why does everyone have to go out of their way that Ash can't defeat Elite Fours easily, defeat Champions and crush Leon.
Some people are insisting he won't even reach Master Class while the the same people say Goh can catch a lot of Legendaries and get New. It is nothing wrong. What should I say them.. Ash haters?

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
Well you have good points. But Goh's goal is to catch a lot of Legendaries with no effort, then why does everyone have to go out of their way that Ash can't defeat Elite Fours easily, defeat Champions and crush Leon.
Some people are insisting he won't even reach Master Class while the the same people say Goh can catch a lot of Legendaries and get New. It is nothing wrong. What should I say them.. Ash haters?

If those elite 4 members had their pokemon weakened before the match and they were stuck in place for Ash to fight, then of course he would win easily. That is pretty much the situation with Suicune in this episode.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Except I don't recall Goh ever stating he wants to catch legendaries with no effort.

Gee, in the Dragonite capture episode, we had Goh ran out of pokéballs, Ash offers some of his and he just refuses. I'm very confident Goh went after Zapdos knowing there was a fight ahead. Notice he even made sure to bring Flygon along knowing it was immune to eletric type moves.

This Suicune capture seems more like something that's played as a gag.

Also, as it was pointed in this thread, get the pokémon out of the trap by capturing it is actually clever.

Honestly, I'd save making a case about this whole thing after the episode gives more context because for all we know - and if this week's episode is any indication - Goh might just release it.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
To everybody who say that Goh hasn't earned the "right" to capture a legendary. Ffs, lets wait until we see the context.

That being said, there've been many instances where even rookie trainers or young children have been able to bond with pokemon well over what we normally expect them to. Ash bonding with Lugia in the second Movie, Celebi and Oak in Johto, the kid and the baby Lugia at the Whirl Islands, Max and Jirachi, May and Manaphy, Bonnie and Zygarde.. We've seen Johto-Ash bond with a Latias in Alto-Mare.

In all these instances, we see Legendary Pokemon to have high intelligence and learn to trust these characters - whether they are by all means rookies or even children. Suicune has the choice between being stuck in a net, potentially being caught by men that are violently trying to capture it - or letting itself get caught by a boy which have probably at that point expressed the intent to oppose the violent men.

Think.

For starters Ash in the last 2 decades hasn't even remotely come to Elite four tier, yet alone Regional Champion Tier. The Only Pokemon he has had which was even remotely close to Elite four tier was released. Goh on the other hand who is also a protagonist, "using your own analogy", has already reached the Elite four tier or champion tier equivalent of catching pokemon.

I'm not saying Ash should be capturing legendaries or Goh shouldn't. What I'm saying is Goh hasn't earned the right to be catching Legendaries. This would be like saying Kanto Ash has the right to fight Cynthia or Elite four tier trainers and put up an even fight.

Your claim, yet AG, DP and XY happened. "Yet alone regional champion".
- AG: Sure, lost pretty badly vs. Drake. Came very close to beating Tyson, the eventual Hoenn League Champion. Beat all Battle Frontier Leaders, including several legendaries.
- DP: Sure, Ash was nowhere near Cynthia. But is the only person during that arc to force Tobias into using a second Pokemon, even the other Sinnoh League-finalist got swept by Darkrai, and there was another trainer with a Heatran as well in that league.
- XY: Ash-Greninja is E4/ChampionTier, whether or not it can beat Mega Gardevoir is a different matter, but the assumption that Ash-Greninja can best the rest of her team (1v1) seems likely. However, considering how well the entire team did vs. Alain, where Ash's team was better then Alain's outside of MCX, you can also make a claim that the rest of Ash's team was high level.

Kanto Ash might not have been able to beat any E4/Champion (clearly, Prima happened), but he damn well bonded with a Lugia. Legendaries are smart Pokemon. Suicune is a smart Pokemon. If it sees no other way out of a violent situation, then getting caught by a random trainer might be a valid choice.

Tobias was a character and won the league. With your logic, no one wins the league is the main character.

Are Brandon and Goh on the same level? Someone is from Brandon Battle Frontier.

I hope Goh releases the legendary pokemon. Goh doesn't deserve this. I do not understand those who defend Goh.

What I mean by character is a person in the story that has a character arc in which we can have seen charactergrowth. Ash, Dawn, Paul, Brock, Barry and a few of Dawn's rivals were the only characters in DP that went through story-arcs that changed them from point a to point b.

Tobias was a tool for the writers to finish the league in one episode, which while clearly sweeping Ash, still managed to show us that outside of that ridiculous hurdle, Ash was the best trainer in that league as the other finalist also got swept by Darkrai.

No, Goh isn't of Brandon's level. This obviously means that Goh will likely not have the same skill to use a legendary in a fight. You think that having a legendary is an instant win condition. It is clearly not. Look at Ash and Charizard in Kanto? Look at Iris and her Dragonite? Both were rookies, handed a strong pokemon too early and it took a long while before they could use them effectively - and actually gave their trainers losses. Charizard went from a trusty Charmander - a valued member of the team - to a liability at best to causing Ash to lose the League, and Dragonite lost vs. Krookodile in the Junior Cup and made Iris look bad as a trainer all throughout.

Dusclops.

Yikes, true.

If Urshifu is on Ash's team it would have to be his ace and Lucario has already sort of taken up that fighting type ace role. I personally don't think Ash would get Urshifu because of this. I personally wouldn't be surprised if Goh ends up getting Kubfu and evolves it into Urshifu.

Really? Ash used a Melmetal (mythical) and Naganadel (UltraBeast/officially classed as legendary iirc) in the final bout of the previous series and Torracat by all means was the ace of that battle (before Pikachu vs. Tapu Koko).

If Ash gets Urshifu, then based on the type spreads on Ash team, it will be best if it were to be the SingleStrike one.
- Pikachu: Electric
- Dragonite: Dragon (Ddance+Claw)
- Gengar: Ghost (Obviously, the least problematic)
- Lucario: Steel (focus can be put on Meteor Mash+Steelbeam)
- Sirfetch'd: Fighting (it's only type).
- Dracovish: Water (Fishious Rend)
- Urshifu: Dark (Wicked Blow).

If it's the Water-form then I don't know what Dracovish' niche would be.

Last edited:

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
All that tells me is that Go isn't keeping Suicune and caught it only to release it by the end of the ep.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Just mentioning again that Yamashita very specifically said "he might be able to get it and he might not" to an audience that had already seen the preview in question.

You can insist it's totally confirmed he's getting Suicune all you want, but even the show's official marketing is making a point of the fact that it's NOT confirmed.

The trailer did specifically say something along the lines of "Suicunes data has been added to the Pokedex", so it'd be really wild for them to then just be like "PSYCHHH, it was fake all along!"

I think the reason they're being so coy about it is because whilst he is capturing it to protect it, he will most likely end up releasing it and therefore not keep it amongst his huge arsenal of Pokemon..

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
The trailer did specifically say something along the lines of "Suicunes data has been added to the Pokedex", so it'd be really wild for them to then just be like "PSYCHHH, it was fake all along!"

I think the reason they're being so coy about it is because whilst he is capturing it to protect it, he will most likely end up releasing it and therefore not keep it amongst his huge arsenal of Pokemon..

Though we also got Gmax Pikachu voice in multiple DD episode PV's, yet we never saw Gmax Pikachu in that arc.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Goh: Well, I don't feel so good keeping a water purifier at the greenhouse. Imma release it.
Ash: Does that mean you're not catching Mew?
Goh: Are you stupid? I'm not changing THAT goal a fifth of the way in our back-and-forth journeys.
Ash: Oh, I s- Wait, a fifth of the way? Don't you mean a third o-?
Goh: Quiet, you idiot. The longer I stick with you, the faster I get more mons.

Master Pikachu 11

It looks like Cinderace gets poisoned by Muk in the extended trailer, so I guess this will be Lucarios time to shine?

Also Suicune seems to be captured at 2 separate points in the episode, when it has the net wrapped around its neck on the truck, and when it just has the 2 guys holding it in the net.
After seeing the trailer it makes sense why Ash is using Lucario because it is immune to the hunter’s pokemon’s poison types attacks, so I am not disappointed that Farfetch’d isn’t being used because it would be in the same situation as Cinderrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.