• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

January 6th: SM103 - A Passionate Heart That Smashes Even Rocks! Lychee and Takeshi!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

This sounds like a really standard formula episode, character does their skit, then half a battle before TR interrupt and likely get curb stomped.

While it was nice to see Brock and Misty again, I find it a shame that all their appearances have mostly just been them doing their old bits again, not taking advantage of SM's format to get something new out of their characters.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
This sounds like a really standard formula episode, character does their skit, then half a battle before TR interrupt and likely get curb stomped.

While it was nice to see Brock and Misty again, I find it a shame that all their appearances have mostly just been them doing their old bits again, not taking advantage of SM's format to get something new out of their characters.
Hilarious that a vast majority of fans keep harping on about the good ol' days of the OS, and then when SM came 'round and copied them 1:1, everyone then starts complaining that they didn't do anything new

Brock flirting in OS: lol that Brock
Brock flirting in SM: I can't believe they wasted Brock's screentime with a tired old gag

Misty teasing Ash in OS: lol what a good fun time
Misty teasing Ash in SM: I can't believe Misty is such a jerk to Ash

Rocket Mecha in OS: Oh boy, battle time
Rocket Mecha in SM: Guuhhh, why don't they do something else?

Fans have been begging for this for over fifteen years; make up your freakin' minds!

Kintaro

Banned
I did like the first cameo better so far because the Mega evolution battles were amazing and showed some progress with Misty/Brock, and they were the best battles in SM. But this ep looks good, Brock centered episodes are almost always good and we'll probably get some funny moments between Brock and Olivia.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

You are being a hard on them, when they were companions they weren't exactly known to progress the plot or be any main focus of any arc or characters present there, if they cannot take advantage there when they had time i doubt they can do anything in a small cameo with other characters. They were brought here for promotion only first for anniversary then for the game.

DatsRight

It's not BAD, it's just a shame it's mostly the same stuff, especially since they weren't exactly used fully in their original runs.

Hilarious that a vast majority of fans keep harping on about the good ol' days of the OS, and then when SM came 'round and copied them 1:1, everyone then starts complaining that they didn't do anything new

Brock flirting in OS: lol that Brock
Brock flirting in SM: I can't believe they wasted Brock's screentime with a tired old gag

Misty teasing Ash in OS: lol what a good fun time
Misty teasing Ash in SM: I can't believe Misty is such a jerk to Ash

Rocket Mecha in OS: Oh boy, battle time
Rocket Mecha in SM: Guuhhh, why don't they do something else?

Fans have been begging for this for over fifteen years; make up your freakin' minds!

Probably because doing it over and over at least had to result in some form of dynamics and character building while SM is just playing on them only being guests. Plus since the OS they've slowly exhausted the old formula until it's a shell of itself. Remember when Misty and Ash had loads of snark wars against Team Rocket, or Brock sometimes did things other than his flirting gag? I mean yeah, that kinda run dry before even AG but still.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
It's not BAD, it's just a shame it's mostly the same stuff, especially since they weren't exactly used fully in their original runs.

Probably because doing it over and over at least had to result in some form of dynamics and character building while SM is just playing on them only being guests. Plus since the OS they've slowly exhausted the old formula until it's a shell of itself. Remember when Misty and Ash had loads of snark wars against Team Rocket, or Brock sometimes did things other than his flirting gag? I mean yeah, that kinda run dry before even AG but still.

I could be in the minor but i never really felt annoyed by brock's flirting gag, hey they even did something creative with how to break away from the ladies with croagunk's poison jab, what i didn't like is other characters like bonnie, oshowatt, piplup and chespin it was a desperate attempt to keep most iconic gag in the series, brock's gag imo was like funny gag from FMA where edward elric got annoyed with everyone who called him short due to his height.

DatsRight

I could be in the minor but i never really felt annoyed by brock's flirting gag, hey they even did something creative with how to break away from the ladies with croagunk's poison jab, what i didn't like is other characters like bonnie, oshowatt, piplup and chespin it was a desperate attempt to keep most iconic gag in the series, brock's gag imo was like funny gag from FMA where edward elric got annoyed with everyone who called him short due to his height.

The problem isn't really the gag but more how a ridiculous amount of his limelight was entered completely around that gag, making him a one note character. Compare to say Ash or even Team Rocket now, who adapted to SM's variations and have several episodes which aren't just about them doing the same shtick. Sure Ash runs into a lot of slapstick and Team Rocket do a lot of bumbling villainy, but it's not all they have as a demonstration of character.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
The problem isn't really the gag but more how a ridiculous amount of his limelight was entered completely around that gag, making him a one note character. Compare to say Ash or even Team Rocket now, who adapted to SM's variations and have several episodes which aren't just about them doing the same shtick. Sure Ash runs into a lot of slapstick and Team Rocket do a lot of bumbling villainy, but it's not all they have as a demonstration of character.

Well i think even if he stayed in the show longest as companion writers didn't exactly treated him well, in OS they didn't do anything main with both brock and misty and when they decided to bring other pokegirls like may and dawn, they totally made him irrelevant in AG and DP on top of that he rarely have battles outside TR, he had this bad luck with him, later male third wheels were in some ways were better in this regards, while cilan was too perfect from the beginning atleat he was good battler and never looked inferior to ash in BW whereas clemont even though he was mostly a background character atleat had his 'want to be confidence issue' and had lumiouse city gym arc with ash where he developed as a strong and confident person while kiawe also kept getting episode where they showed him improving as a battler either with a.marowak or with his fight with that electivire trainer.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Possibly, Anime rules state Ash is the only character allowed to have complete battles after all... :p
Lol, Pikachu is going to use Thunderbolt on them as its finishing attack. We all know too well what happens next.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Dendimushi is the official spelling. And keep in mind that its name is デンヂムシ, not デンジムシ - it's a portmanteau of デンチ and ジムシ, after all.
Thanks for the correction! It just sounded that way to me. ^^

p96822

Evolve me please
Ehh, I hope this isn't a sign of a regression, and a long period of formulaic plots with the exact same TR interruption over and over like we had around this point in XYZ.

One I don't care if Team Rocket regresses. Two at least they are doing there jobs as Team Rocket of trying to steal Pokemon. Three there a reason in the last episode they are going to be presentation like in Pokemon XY

DatsRight

One I don't care if Team Rocket regresses. Two at least they are doing there jobs as Team Rocket of trying to steal Pokemon. Three there a reason in the last episode they are going to be presentation like in Pokemon XY

Not Team Rocket regressing (they can't really get anymore ineffective), the storytelling regressing. Sure SM has a lot of fillers, but at least they're varied fillers that often let the protagonists do lots of different things and show of their personalities, not the 'Do their running gags, tease half a battle/dilemma, then curbstomp Team Rocket' structure that made up nearly every plot that wasn't one of the main arcs in previous series (and sometimes even those ones).

I'm truthfully expecting the whole third act to be made up of all the old stock phrases than any memorable banter "ROCKET-DAN!/They're bad people who steal Pokemon!/BAD FEELING/Blasting off again!"

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Ehh, I hope this isn't a sign of a regression, and a long period of formulaic plots with the exact same TR interruption over and over like we had around this point in XYZ.

Beats boring as heck Sports fillers

I'd take these two episodes over most SM fillers. At least Misty and Brock bring in something different rather than the same thing

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I'm just happy seeing Misty and Brock again, and they're actually doing something outside of being there to support Ash.

Did we forget the decade long wait of seeing best girl Misty again? Or what about the 100+ episode long wait of Brock getting some importance? Say what you want about these episodes, both OGs are getting handled pretty well by staying in character, not hogging all the screentime (like Ash), and they fit in to the narrative of wanting to visit Alola and taking advantage of what it offers for the short period of time they have which is different for Misty and Brock.

Status
Not open for further replies.