• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

January Plot Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

shoz999

Sword reminds me of Diamond here; it’s in the eye shape. Shield also looks really fun! I’m excited to see how this chapter’ll go.
I know right. She reminds me of Blue, the female protagonist of RGB, only more bubbly than crafty. Kind of like Dawn of the anime actually.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Sword actually looks kind of ugly and goofy-looking with that big forehead covered by that hat. It almost gives off the impression of a receding hairline alongside the eye shape. Though it makes him stand out and reminds me of Sugimori choosing to make the male protagonist he designs “uncool” on purpose because he doesn’t like it when they look too “cool.” Also given how they revamped gyms into an Olympic-style FIFA sport with the ridiculous aspect of kaiju battles I imagine Kusaka wouldn’t not go down the challenger route. Hopefully he can come up with some unique personality and aspirations for these two, sometimes I feel the protags can be a little “samey-same” these days.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I know right. She reminds me of Blue, the female protagonist of RGB, only more bubbly than crafty. Kind of like Dawn of the anime actually.

I hope she’s a little like Dawn, too. Y was similar in terms of demeanor and personality, but even so she felt way more like the manga’s take on anime Misty. If Shield was like her- in terms of being a positive go-getter- I’d like her from the start.

shoz999

I hope she’s a little like Dawn, too. Y was similar in terms of demeanor and personality, but even so she felt way more like the manga’s take on anime Misty. If Shield was like her- in terms of being a positive go-getter- I’d like her from the start.
With that being said. I hope they are both Gym Challengers. Those poses from the games give me a lot of hope because those poses are part of the League Card feature, a feature you can only get if you enter the Pokemon League and since the games are light on story, I hope he wraps up the finishing touches of BW2 and USUM so he can create a great story full of freedom in short time like he did for Adventures XY which was also based on a game light on story and Adventures XY is amazing.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
With that being said. I hope they are both Gym Challengers. Those poses from the games give me a lot of hope because those poses are part of the League Card feature, a feature you can only get if you enter the Pokemon League and since the games are light on story, I hope he wraps up the finishing touches of BW2 and USUM so he can create a great story full of freedom in short time like he did for Adventures XY which was also based on a game light on story.

I agree. XY’s dismal story was miraculously made really good in the manga, so I hope SwSh’s light plot can be expanded upon here. I also hope Sword and Shield are rivals both doing the Gym Challenge, we haven’t had that since Red and Blue (and obviously done much much better this time).

G-SANtos

I'm disappointed the boy seems to be the protagonist again when they could have finally done a League-centric arc starring a girl.

But there's one thing that drew my attention. Look at this image. Ever since Generation 5, the starter owned by the protagonist was always the one in the center of the poster image. This image has Scorbunny in the center, not the expected Sobble. Furthermore, with exception of XY (which has Fennekin in front of Y and Froakie on the opposide side), every poster image EVER to depict Starters has always had then lined up with the Dex Holder that owns them. Even BW has a Snivy in front of White despite her only getting a Pokémon of that line much later. This image has Scorbunny lined with the boy and Sobble with the girl.

DP had Platinum in the center of its poster image and yet Diamond is the protagonist. I could just be in denial and seeing things that aren't there, but what if the girl is the protagonist and the boy being on the center is just a red herring/marketing ploy? Sometime ago, the artist for Digimon Next released the illustrations used for the volume covers, and one thing in particular that was revealed then, is that the image used on volume 4 originally had a pink background, but the editor made him change it under the mind that pink would turn away boys. What if the girl is the protagonist, but the boy is in the center for marketing purposes?

We still don't have confirmation that the boy is named Sword and the girl is Shield, despite what was assumed in the speculation thread. That magazine scan with the sketches doesn't say anywhere the characters' names and Yamamoto these days has basically refused to confirm the characters' names, going as far as giving one different answer for everyone who asked. I posted before that he called them Tatezō-kun and Hokko-chan, with the boy's name being derived from "shield" and the girl's from "sword", but since then, he did the following:
-Called them Hokō-kun and Tateko-chan, a reversal of the first post. https://twitter.com/satoshi_swalot/status/1195637628298649600
-When asked about it, he called them Tsurukatsu and Tsurugiko-chan, both derived from "sword" (tsurugi). https://twitter.com/satoshi_swalot/status/1195661269451173888
-Answered another person calling them Ken-chan and Hoko-chan, both derived from "sword". https://twitter.com/satoshi_swalot/status/1195661400493850624
-And a different answer. https://twitter.com/satoshi_swalot/status/1195665599965233154
He then said people will learn their names when the chapter comes out.
I don't see a reason for all the suspense if they're following tradition in the exact same way. There seems to be something going on here. Except for when he used the name "Tateko", all female names he used were derived "sword". Perhaps they want to surprise people by having a female protagonist and reversing the usual name scheme, and Yamamoto is dropping tiny hints about it. All League-facing protagonists so far were boys and they might want to make something different this time. Zacian's Pokédex entry also specifically calls it "Zamazenta's older sister", so it is canonically referred to by female terms, which could potentially encourage Kusaka to reverse the names for once.

Or maybe this is another Lack-two and Whi-two situation where they aren't going to use the exact game names. In the games, there's two characters named Sordward and Shieldert, whose Japanese names are Swod and Shieldy. While Shieldy has no problem, Swod is too similar to Sword, and that can potentially make following the name tradition perfectly unviable, at least for one of the characters. And if they can't use the game title for one of them, while would they use it for the other? We would have only one character with a game name, and another with an adapted name. The better option would be to not use game names for either of them.

But that's just my theory. We'll find out soon.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Alola, Alola! It's time for the finale of SM!

EJzsTsyU0AAQ31r.jpg

EJzsTszVAAAS7tv.jpg

EJzsTuCU0AE3iCd.jpg

EJzsT0JUEAErn4M.jpg

Moon has a sister! Gee, I wonder who it could be. /s

And now it's Sword and Shield time!

EJzu3S7UcAAXP4d.jpg

EJzu3T8UEAElhQE.jpg

EJzu3VCUUAAZafg.jpg

EJzu3WLVAAMOJ3q.jpg

Well this is odd. Our new protagonists aren't named Sword and Shield after all. Well, sort of...

The boy is 剣創人 or Soudo Tsurugi. (Tsurugi means "sword". Soudo is phonetically the same as "sword" in Japanese.) He's nicknamed "So-chan".

The girl is 盾・シルドミリア or Tate Shirudomiria. (Tate means "shield". Shirudomiria contains "shield".) I have no idea how to romanize that. Is it even a real name? She's nicknamed "Shi-chan".

I'm not sure if the Grookey is Soudo's, but Tate has Scorbunny.

The kid is Manabu. That name sounds familiar, but I'm not sure if it's significant. Probably just an in-game NPC. He's nicknamed "Ma-chan".

Last edited:

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Huh!? Satoshi hat exist in the Pokemon special manga !? No freak way !

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
It's funny. Actually better than alleatory introduce Ash-Greninja for the sake of the Alola dex without explain the "Ash" part.

It looks like Faba's end was a real bad end. Can I assume Lusamine got a free pass after all the crap she pulled on everyone?

Guzma chilling and cooking. Unexpected.

Did Platinum actually appear or just empoleon?

On Sword & Shield: Tsurugi and Tate are giving Dia and Pearl dynamics vibes already. They look a fun duo.

Konja7

EJzsTsyU0AAQ31r.jpg

EJzsTszVAAAS7tv.jpg

EJzsTuCU0AE3iCd.jpg

EJzsT0JUEAErn4M.jpg

EJzu3S7UcAAXP4d.jpg

EJzu3T8UEAElhQE.jpg

EJzu3VCUUAAZafg.jpg

EJzu3WLVAAMOJ3q.jpg

This is super odd!

"Sword" is named Tsurugi Soudo. (Phonetically the same as "sword")

"Shield" is Tate Shirudomiria. (Contains Shield)

I have no idea how to romanize that.

Regarding the names of the characters:

- Tsurugi is a type of Japanese Sword.

- Tate is a type of Japanese Shield.

lolipiece

Staff member
Updated my previous post. I was in a bit of a rush when I wrote it.

Also, they referenced the anime again. They mention Mallow's restaurant by its anime name, Aina Cafeteria.

Huh!? Satoshi hat exist in the Pokemon special manga !? No freak way !

Yes, the Pikachu hats, remember?

Did Platinum actually appear or just empoleon?

Looks like we only see a shadow and nothing that physically confirms her, but the Empoleon is kind of a dead giveaway.

Konja7

EJzsTsyU0AAQ31r.jpg

EJzsTszVAAAS7tv.jpg

EJzsTuCU0AE3iCd.jpg

EJzsT0JUEAErn4M.jpg

EJzu3S7UcAAXP4d.jpg

EJzu3T8UEAElhQE.jpg

EJzu3VCUUAAZafg.jpg

EJzu3WLVAAMOJ3q.jpg

Well this is odd. Our new protagonists aren't named Sword and Shield after all. Well, sort of...

The boy is 剣創人 or Soudo Tsurugi. (Tsurugi means "sword". Soudo is phonetically the same as "sword" in Japanese.) He's nicknamed "So-chan".

The girl is 盾・シルドミリア or Tate Shirudomiria. (Tate means "shield". Shirudomiria contains "shield".) I have no idea how to romanize that. Is it even a real name? She's nicknamed "Shi-chan".

I'm not sure if the Grookey is Soudo's, but Tate has Scorbunny.

The kid is Manabu. That name sounds familiar, but I'm not sure if it's significant. Probably just an in-game NPC. He's nicknamed "Ma-chan".

I think you have a confusion with the order of the names.

The boy is Tsurugi (剣) Soudo (創人). His name is Soudo and his last name is Tsurugi.

The girls is Tate (盾) Shirudomiria (シルドミリア). Her name is Shirudomiria and her last name is Tate.

PS: In Japanese, you mention your last name before yo mention your name

Last edited:

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

e9310103838

Sword is a craftsman who specializes in repairing item that Pokemon carries.

About Shield, because it uses a transliteration name, I am not sure about her name order. But her nickname is Shi-chan, I think ShieldMillia should be her name (and Tate is her last name).

By tha way, Manabu has the same name as the protagonist of another Pokemon manga which about Pokemon card game (XY, now SM) and serialized in the same magazine. The name meaning learning. ;)

lolipiece

Staff member
I think you have a confusion with the order of the names.

The boy is Tsurugi (剣) Soudo (創人). His name is Soudo and his last name is Tsurugi.

The girls is Tate (盾) Shirudomiria (シルドミリア). Her name is Shirudomiria and her last name is Tate.

PS: In Japanese, you mention your last name before yo mention your name

No, many translations tend to write Japanese names in Western order when romanizing them. I just did that.

Also, out of the four Dex holders that actually have full names prior to our new protags, two had their names written in Eastern order (Green and Sapphire) while the others were in Western (Platinum and Y), so I wasn't sure how to write it. Soudo's more obvious since it's clearly Japanese.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I actually like they've given last names times. And I gotta hand to Kusaka: those names are really clever.

Shame it's unlikely we'll get third versions because I wanted to see what he'd come up with for a hypothetical third wheel.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
So is the Grookey meant to be Sword's? Wouldn't it be breaking the pattern since The Male Protagonist should get Sobble?

Status
Not open for further replies.