• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

January Plot Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I don't the Grookey will be his. Kusaka probably wanted to show his skill and the theme of his team will be. We saw him in the sketch with Sobble.
It's an option. I'm wondering if the Grookey will go straight away to Hop or will they do some strange things around it.

Pokemon.Manga

Alola, Alola! It's time for the finale of SM!

EJzsTsyU0AAQ31r.jpg

EJzsTszVAAAS7tv.jpg

EJzsTuCU0AE3iCd.jpg

EJzsT0JUEAErn4M.jpg

Moon has a sister! Gee, I wonder who it could be. /s

And now it's Sword and Shield time!

EJzu3S7UcAAXP4d.jpg

EJzu3T8UEAElhQE.jpg

EJzu3VCUUAAZafg.jpg

EJzu3WLVAAMOJ3q.jpg

Well this is odd. Our new protagonists aren't named Sword and Shield after all. Well, sort of...

The boy is 剣創人 or Soudo Tsurugi. (Tsurugi means "sword". Soudo is phonetically the same as "sword" in Japanese.) He's nicknamed "So-chan".

The girl is 盾・シルドミリア or Tate Shirudomiria. (Tate means "shield". Shirudomiria contains "shield".) I have no idea how to romanize that. Is it even a real name? She's nicknamed "Shi-chan".

I'm not sure if the Grookey is Soudo's, but Tate has Scorbunny.

The kid is Manabu. That name sounds familiar, but I'm not sure if it's significant. Probably just an in-game NPC. He's nicknamed "Ma-chan".

So-chan and Shi-chan look like they might be bodyguards(?) of some kind perhaps protecting Manabu. Also its interesting to see So-chan being a craftsman. I wonder what his Sirfetch's nickname will be. Also Shi-chan seems related to Ball guy? Maybe the theme of her team will be related to pokeballs or something. Kusaka seems to be getting ready for the inevitable diamond and pearl remakes as well.

Moni_22

Since the names are written with kanji I'm pretty sure we should read them as Japanese names. Thus, Tsurugi and Tate are their last name and Soudo and Shirudomiria are their names. Let's just call them Sword and Shield, it's the same xD That or Sou-chan and Shi-chan.

Konja7

No, many translations tend to write Japanese names in Western order when romanizing them. I just did that.

Also, out of the four Dex holders that actually have full names prior to our new protags, two had their names written in Eastern order (Green and Sapphire) while the others were in Western (Platinum and Y), so I wasn't sure how to write it. Soudo's more obvious since it's clearly Japanese.

I understand. That's why you put him like Soudo Tsurugi.

However, this will be the translation direct:

剣創人 is Tsurugi Soudo

盾・シルドミリア is Tate Shirudomiria.

So, if we assume Soudo is the name of the boy, I guess we should assume Shirudomiria is the name of the girl. I think it's pretty likely both names will be in Eastern order.

Not to mention that their nicknames are Sou-chan and Shi-chan.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Tate is on Kanji while "Shirudomiria" is katakana so I wouldn't put it past "Tate" being her actual name.

"Shi-chan" is a nickname we can just reason with the japanese tradition of addressing people on a last name-basis.
Anyway, her case is kind of hard since it combines katakana and kanji while Soudo's is easier duo to it being entirely on kanji

shadowF

Wait so is it confirmed Sirfetched is Soudo's while Scorbunny is Tate's?

Also could it be Manabu is the main protagonist this time around and the one going for the gym challenge while Soudo and Tate are his bodyguards?

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Alola, Alola! It's time for the finale of SM!

EJzsTsyU0AAQ31r.jpg

EJzsTszVAAAS7tv.jpg

EJzsTuCU0AE3iCd.jpg

EJzsT0JUEAErn4M.jpg

Moon has a sister! Gee, I wonder who it could be. /s

And now it's Sword and Shield time!

EJzu3S7UcAAXP4d.jpg

EJzu3T8UEAElhQE.jpg

EJzu3VCUUAAZafg.jpg

EJzu3WLVAAMOJ3q.jpg

Well this is odd. Our new protagonists aren't named Sword and Shield after all. Well, sort of...

The boy is 剣創人 or Soudo Tsurugi. (Tsurugi means "sword". Soudo is phonetically the same as "sword" in Japanese.) He's nicknamed "So-chan".

The girl is 盾・シルドミリア or Tate Shirudomiria. (Tate means "shield". Shirudomiria contains "shield".) I have no idea how to romanize that. Is it even a real name? She's nicknamed "Shi-chan".

I'm not sure if the Grookey is Soudo's, but Tate has Scorbunny.

The kid is Manabu. That name sounds familiar, but I'm not sure if it's significant. Probably just an in-game NPC. He's nicknamed "Ma-chan".

Are those hats for Red to wear... or for Pika? Now if only those hats were available in the mainline games as wearable player hats...

Maxim

Beyond repair
Kusaka really overdid it with the names this time... I'm wondering how will Viz handle their localization. Prepare for some very bad Sword and Shield-based puns, as if "Sordward" and "Shielbert" weren't enough.

Though, I guess they will still be casually known as "Sword" and "Shield" in the manga, with their full names rarely brought up.

Also, Manabu is indeed an in-game Trainer: Schoolboy Marvin. He appears on Route 3 with a Budew and Gossifleur.

Last edited:

Moni_22

Sword looks a little bit...bland. Personality-wise. Idk

Maybe this arc will focus on the Poke Jobs section of the game.

Well we never know. Ruby looked like that at the beginning and we saw that he had another side to him. Diamond also got quite a lot of personality later.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Sword looks a little bit...bland. Personality-wise. Idk

Maybe this arc will focus on the Poke Jobs section of the game.
Sword reminds me of the "House Husband" character archetype you see in anime depicting a gentleman who is crazily loyal, does the house-cleaning, the cooking, the washing the dishes, organizes the schedules, pretty much all the house work 24 hours a day with an apron on that you have to wonder if they are even human. For example, Shiro from the Devil is a Part-Timer.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
One thing I really can't wait for is how these two interact with the characters of SwSh. So in my opinion, if BW and SM have the best story then SwSh perhaps have the best set of characters in that they have way more personality than their previous games. Even Hop is one of my favorite rivals.

Status
Not open for further replies.