• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

January Plot Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

e9310103838

Volume 57 cover released.

4af458b94bb751e0db96569a6b53f779122a6917.png

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
So, with this, we can gather there will at least be seven chapters. Up until what Coronis labeled "VS Tyrunt", presumably.

Also, hi Flabebe. You were missing from the previous cover.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
So, with this, we can gather there will at least be seven chapters. Up until what Coronis labeled "VS Tyrunt", presumably.
The volume releases are still going too slow for my taste :(
There haven't been many changes in the volumes so idk why they are taking this much time for it

lolipiece

Staff member
Let's not make assumptions.

Moni_22

The volume releases are still going too slow for my taste :(
There haven't been many changes in the volumes so idk why they are taking this much time for it
Apart from what others say about the virus, it's possible that they don't want to sell all the volumes too quickly and want to have some months in-between. Maybe if they sell them all at once people won't buy them as much because then it would be too expensive. It's just my point of view

lolipiece

Staff member
Not much, but Allister's debuting in some fashion.

EnNDYvWVgAY9-OP.jpg

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
Oh that's right. They should reach Stow-on-Side this month.
I wonder who's going to be the minor league gym leader.

Moni_22

Oh that's right. They should reach Stow-on-Side this month.
I wonder who's going to be the minor league gym leader.
I wonder what they'll do with that. I imagine that if they choose Sword version for this one, they'll choose the Shield version for the other one, and viceversa. What I'm hoping is that we get to see Melony and Gordie together, since we can't do that in the games and we only have references.

lolipiece

Staff member
'Ello 'ello, it's time for Pokespe SWSH for November!

EnUOrQTVEAAxTNv.jpg

EnUOuPRUYAENA8D.jpg

EnUOwYuVQAA-xmd.jpg

EnUOycnVkAAoWE3.jpg

October may be over, but the spooks aren't. Some of them aren't even from our resident Ghost-user.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Good choice, Sword.

Immunity to G-Max Terror.

If it has Dark-type moves, he's borked, though.

What G-Max Mon besides Rillaboom has tools, is the question...

I mean, Shield has Toxtricity Low Key and maybe Cinderace at some point, but what besides Rillaboom for Sword?

Is he ever going to evolve Tekkotsun?

Still, I suspect that Shield is going to get Giga back next, since Galar Mine #2 was skipped...Giga will be still in the Slumbering Weald, I think.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Wondering if anyone will fight Bea. Imagine Marnie being cocky about Fighting a Ghost-Type trainer, sending her Morpeko Just to be annihilated by one of Bea's Pokemon.

Moni_22

So we get Allister as the gym leader. Maybe we'll see Bea with Mustard since they're both Fighting experts. Glad to see Opal is back with her shenanigans in the manga as well, can't wait to see more of her, very funny character.

Last edited:

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
Whoa, creepy Opal.

So Alister it's the mayor league gym leader. I wonder how long till we see Bea.
I have a feeling that Gordie will be the gym leader for Circhester.

G-SANtos

I guess this means we're going Shield route for this arc. So we'll probably see Melon as the Circhester Gym Leader. Saitou might show up whenever they do something with the Isle of Armor because both she and Mustard are Fighting-type Gym Leaders. Maybe she even gets Urshifu, although I would prefer for Klara and Savory to get the Urshifu forms because they are the Rivals and more likely to be protagonists if we get an IoA arc.

In the first page, Soudo is suspicious of Rose. Kibana talks about the disasters involving powerful Pokémon in other regions, you know, the obligatory "this is part of a PokéSpe Mangatic Universe" line, and Soudo asks if Rose could be gathering Wishing Stars to bring disaster, which Kibana and Sonia find ridiculous.

One thing I have been wanting to bring since the Kilo chapters. We have Soudo forming a rivalry with Beet, and Shieldmilia becoming buddies with Hop. Someone on 5ch suggested this could mean something with Manabu and Mary later. Maybe Mary gives him a Pokémon or something? Or maybe they create the Curry Dex?
Hm... According to the League Cards, she used to cry a lot as a kid, and Namida-kun is a crying Pokémon.

And if Soudo is really a twist antagonist, the manga going the Shield basically means Hop is the one who partners with Zacian. Actually, perhaps Onion being the main Gym Leader here could be a hint Shieldmilia will be the lead in the Wolves VS Eternatus fight. And, who knows, maybe she'll even become the Champion.

Also, I've had this theory since Kilo appeared, but didn't have time to post it before. I think Shieldmilia's Pokémon will reappear in the order of magnitude of their names. I mean, the first one to show up was Kilo, who also had the lowest name. And since it showed up right before the Kabu battle, I guess we can use Shieldmilia's Pokémon types to predict when they will show up and what will be their main purpose.

Kilo - Arrokuda - Water
Mega - Stunfisk - Ground/Steel
Giga - Falinks - Fighting
Tera - Toxtricity - Electric/Poison
Peta - Eiscue - Ice

Kilo showed up right before the fight with Kabu. If my theory is correct, Mega is the next one. Being Steel type it's perfect to face Poplar, the Fairy Gym Leader. Peta should be the last one and is perfect to fight Kibana, the Dragon Gym Leader.
This leaves the question of where the others could appear. I originally came up with this theory in part to try to figure which Gym Leaders Kusaka would choose, but after noticing there wasn't much that could tell from the types I didn't bother thinking much. I mean, Giga would be super-effective against all of Makuwa (Gordie), Melon, and Nezu (Piers). On hindsight though, Soudo catching a Normal-type could have been foreshadowing Onion, due to its immunity to Ghost-type attacks.

As I said before, Giga is strong against Rock, Ice, and Dark, so technically it can be used on both Circhester and Spikemuth, meaning it has the largest timeframe possible after Ballonlea. If they alternate between Soudo and Shieldmilia battles from now on, Soudo would be the one battling in Circhester, so Giga would be used in Spikemuth, although I would prefer if the battle being shown was Mary's. They could also have two Shieldmilia battles in a row, and she gets both Ballonlea and Circhester, with Mega and Giga respectively.

Tera is the hardest one to fit because the only Gym Leader it would be strong against is Poplar, but I doubt it would show up so soon if they go by name order. It could be used in Spikemuth, where we get the irony of it having a Gigantamax form but being unable to use it. On the other hand, it could be the rampaging Pokémon Dande fights outside Spikemuth, as I believe Gigantamax Pokémon that don't have an assigned Trainer in the games will be used as rampaging Pokémon later in the story. But it would mean Shieldmilia recovers Tera and Peta back-to-back if the latter is really meant for the Kibana battle.

Giga's dynamism makes me wonder if Kusaka chose Falinks before deciding which version-exclusive Gym Leaders to use.
And if Gunbain was foreshadowing Onion, could Soudo also catch certain Pokémon right before Gym battles? I can't think of many though. He already has two Fighting types, so he can win Circhester and Spikemuth easily. He might catch a Mr. Rime before battling Kibana, but that's it. I don't think we'll see him catching something to battle Poplar, because I'm sure we'll see Shieldmilia using Mega against her.

Though I wonder what about Beet. I was hoping to see him fight Poplar, or maybe even have the Stow-on-Side battle, but I'm now wondering if perhaps we won't get to see the Rivals' Gym battles.

Literally none. Just checked the list.

I mean, Shield has Toxtricity Low Key and maybe Cinderace at some point, but what besides Rillaboom for Sword?
Unless we get more DLC, probably nothing. Kusaka really doesn't take gimmicks into account for team building. Sun and Moon didn't have Z-Move themed teams, Soudo and Shieldmilia don't have Gigantamax-themed teams, and, let's say for the sake of argument Piuk's leaks were real, You and Me won't have teams built around Turbo Boost in Gen 9.

We'll probably never have a repeat of X. Gimmicks will most likely be reserved for the Starters in Dex Holders. I would say it's even possible Tera doesn't have the Gigantamax Factor. Sun has a Mimikyu but never used Let's Snuggle Forever (though I guess it'll happen in volume-only content). I would say the only rule regarding Dex Holder teams from now on is that everyone must have at least one regional form, and gimmicks are only secondary.
Even the Gen 5 gimmick, Hidden Abilities, has not really been a factor in PokéSpe. The term Hidden Ability hasn't even been used in the manga despite some Pokémon having them, and the major Pokémon that were apparently meant to have Hidden Abilities (Amanda, and possibly the second set of Unova Starters) ended up not having them due to them not being legally available at the time. I guess the Ability Patch can solve that when we have Unova remakes though.

X only had a Mega team because Megas were the cool new thing that was unprecedented at the time, and for plot reason. A battle power up that the manga treats as a kind of secret art with limited disciples, and a reason to have Team Flare chasing the group. Not to mention the Key Stones can be put in any kind of item, which allows X to have multiple at the same item to have that multiple Mega Evolution scene.

Meanwhile, everything else is known by everyone in the region and used exclusively by bracelets. Z-Moves? Bracelet. Dynamax? Bracelet. Turbo Boost or whatever is the next gimmick? You can bet it's going to be a bracelet. It would be a little awkward to have the characters wearing six bracelets to allow the entire team to use the gimmick. And I'm not sure how that would work with Z-Moves since each one requires a specific power dance.
The closest to a repeat of X's multi-Mega moment I expect is to have Yarrow (Milo) showing up during the crisis with two Dynamax Band to Gigantamax Flapple and Appletun at the same time. And I'm not even sure if that's possible because the game seems to imply Dynamax can only be used by one Band on each side of a battle.

Another difference is that Mega Evolution is a power-up that continues until the end of the battle. On the other hand, Z-Moves are a single use attack, and Dynamax only lasts three turns and only works in certain places. While I do get the feeling Kusaka wanted Sun to be the Z-Move user like how X had Megas, it seems he didn't find a way to implement the idea. After all, Sun would need to learn the power dance somehow.

Also, with Megas you can have a cool design going around for an entire chapter, while Z-Moves would probably need to be used like Bao Zakeruga. Dynamax is sort of going that route though.

Given his name is derived from steel girder, and Conkeldurr carries concrete instead, I'm going to guess no.

Still, I suspect that Shield is going to get Giga back next, since Galar Mine #2 was skipped...Giga will be still in the Slumbering Weald, I think.
There's a wanderer Falinks in Route 8, and that's right before Circhester, which would fit with my theory.

I have a feeling that Gordie will be the gym leader for Circhester.
I don't know. It feels kinda sexist to have both male characters chosen. I really feel like Kusaka is going full Shield route, with Shieldmilia getting close to Hop, who is part of the Eternamax Raid Battle in the games.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
I guess this means we're going Shield route for this arc. So we'll probably see Melon as the Circhester Gym Leader. Saitou might show up whenever they do something with the Isle of Armor because both she and Mustard are Fighting-type Gym Leaders. Maybe she even gets Urshifu, although I would prefer for Klara and Savory to get the Urshifu forms because they are the Rivals and more likely to be protagonists if we get an IoA arc.

In the first page, Soudo is suspicious of Rose. Kibana talks about the disasters involving powerful Pokémon in other regions, you know, the obligatory "this is part of a PokéSpe Mangatic Universe" line, and Soudo asks if Rose could be gathering Wishing Stars to bring disaster, which Kibana and Sonia find ridiculous.

One thing I have been wanting to bring since the Kilo chapters. We have Soudo forming a rivalry with Beet, and Shieldmilia becoming buddies with Hop. Someone on 5ch suggested this could mean something with Manabu and Mary later. Maybe Mary gives him a Pokémon or something? Or maybe they create the Curry Dex?
Hm... According to the League Cards, she used to cry a lot as a kid, and Namida-kun is a crying Pokémon.

And if Soudo is really a twist antagonist, the manga going the Shield basically means Hop is the one who partners with Zacian. Actually, perhaps Onion being the main Gym Leader here could be a hint Shieldmilia will be the lead in the Wolves VS Eternatus fight. And, who knows, maybe she'll even become the Champion.

Also, I've had this theory since Kilo appeared, but didn't have time to post it before. I think Shieldmilia's Pokémon will reappear in the order of magnitude of their names. I mean, the first one to show up was Kilo, who also had the lowest name. And since it showed up right before the Kabu battle, I guess we can use Shieldmilia's Pokémon types to predict when they will show up and what will be their main purpose.

Kilo - Arrokuda - Water
Mega - Stunfisk - Ground/Steel
Giga - Falinks - Fighting
Tera - Toxtricity - Electric/Poison
Peta - Eiscue - Ice

Kilo showed up right before the fight with Kabu. If my theory is correct, Mega is the next one. Being Steel type it's perfect to face Poplar, the Fairy Gym Leader. Peta should be the last one and is perfect to fight Kibana, the Dragon Gym Leader.
This leaves the question of where the others could appear. I originally came up with this theory in part to try to figure which Gym Leaders Kusaka would choose, but after noticing there wasn't much that could tell from the types I didn't bother thinking much. I mean, Giga would be super-effective against all of Makuwa (Gordie), Melon, and Nezu (Piers). On hindsight though, Soudo catching a Normal-type could have been foreshadowing Onion, due to its immunity to Ghost-type attacks.

As I said before, Giga is strong against Rock, Ice, and Dark, so technically it can be used on both Circhester and Spikemuth, meaning it has the largest timeframe possible after Ballonlea. If they alternate between Soudo and Shieldmilia battles from now on, Soudo would be the one battling in Circhester, so Giga would be used in Spikemuth, although I would prefer if the battle being shown was Mary's. They could also have two Shieldmilia battles in a row, and she gets both Ballonlea and Circhester, with Mega and Giga respectively.

Tera is the hardest one to fit because the only Gym Leader it would be strong against is Poplar, but I doubt it would show up so soon if they go by name order. It could be used in Spikemuth, where we get the irony of it having a Gigantamax form but being unable to use it. On the other hand, it could be the rampaging Pokémon Dande fights outside Spikemuth, as I believe Gigantamax Pokémon that don't have an assigned Trainer in the games will be used as rampaging Pokémon later in the story. But it would mean Shieldmilia recovers Tera and Peta back-to-back if the latter is really meant for the Kibana battle.

Giga's dynamism makes me wonder if Kusaka chose Falinks before deciding which version-exclusive Gym Leaders to use.
And if Gunbain was foreshadowing Onion, could Soudo also catch certain Pokémon right before Gym battles? I can't think of many though. He already has two Fighting types, so he can win Circhester and Spikemuth easily. He might catch a Mr. Rime before battling Kibana, but that's it. I don't think we'll see him catching something to battle Poplar, because I'm sure we'll see Shieldmilia using Mega against her.

Though I wonder what about Beet. I was hoping to see him fight Poplar, or maybe even have the Stow-on-Side battle, but I'm now wondering if perhaps we won't get to see the Rivals' Gym battles.

Literally none. Just checked the list.

Unless we get more DLC, probably nothing. Kusaka really doesn't take gimmicks into account for team building. Sun and Moon didn't have Z-Move themed teams, Soudo and Shieldmilia don't have Gigantamax-themed teams, and, let's say for the sake of argument Piuk's leaks were real, You and Me won't have teams built around Turbo Boost in Gen 9.

We'll probably never have a repeat of X. Gimmicks will most likely be reserved for the Starters in Dex Holders. I would say it's even possible Tera doesn't have the Gigantamax Factor. Sun has a Mimikyu but never used Let's Snuggle Forever (though I guess it'll happen in volume-only content). I would say the only rule regarding Dex Holder teams from now on is that everyone must have at least one regional form, and gimmicks are only secondary.
Even the Gen 5 gimmick, Hidden Abilities, has not really been a factor in PokéSpe. The term Hidden Ability hasn't even been used in the manga despite some Pokémon having them, and the major Pokémon that were apparently meant to have Hidden Abilities (Amanda, and possibly the second set of Unova Starters) ended up not having them due to them not being legally available at the time. I guess the Ability Patch can solve that when we have Unova remakes though.

X only had a Mega team because Megas were the cool new thing that was unprecedented at the time, and for plot reason. A battle power up that the manga treats as a kind of secret art with limited disciples, and a reason to have Team Flare chasing the group. Not to mention the Key Stones can be put in any kind of item, which allows X to have multiple at the same item to have that multiple Mega Evolution scene.

Meanwhile, everything else is known by everyone in the region and used exclusively by bracelets. Z-Moves? Bracelet. Dynamax? Bracelet. Turbo Boost or whatever is the next gimmick? You can bet it's going to be a bracelet. It would be a little awkward to have the characters wearing six bracelets to allow the entire team to use the gimmick. And I'm not sure how that would work with Z-Moves since each one requires a specific power dance.
The closest to a repeat of X's multi-Mega moment I expect is to have Yarrow (Milo) showing up during the crisis with two Dynamax Band to Gigantamax Flapple and Appletun at the same time. And I'm not even sure if that's possible because the game seems to imply Dynamax can only be used by one Band on each side of a battle.

Another difference is that Mega Evolution is a power-up that continues until the end of the battle. On the other hand, Z-Moves are a single use attack, and Dynamax only lasts three turns and only works in certain places. While I do get the feeling Kusaka wanted Sun to be the Z-Move user like how X had Megas, it seems he didn't find a way to implement the idea. After all, Sun would need to learn the power dance somehow.

Also, with Megas you can have a cool design going around for an entire chapter, while Z-Moves would probably need to be used like Bao Zakeruga. Dynamax is sort of going that route though.

Given his name is derived from steel girder, and Conkeldurr carries concrete instead, I'm going to guess no.

There's a wanderer Falinks in Route 8, and that's right before Circhester, which would fit with my theory.

I don't know. It feels kinda sexist to have both male characters chosen. I really feel like Kusaka is going full Shield route, with Shieldmilia getting close to Hop, who is part of the Eternamax Raid Battle in the games.
1st of all, please don't make people have to search these names up to figure out who you're talking about: please place (English name) wherever possible.

Second, Sodo(Likely Sword) being an antagonist is pure conjecture, and leaks are a dime a dozen. Don't use them for theory crafting unless they'd get you banned for mentioning them.

As for why Sun wasn't the "Z-Move user", we can blame generational developmental crunch from Game Freak, TPCI and Nintendo for that. If they'd just take a break from releases for one fiscal year, and give characters across the franchise time to develop and breathe, then Sun being the TOTEM Pokémon user would have been more obvious(Loot and Lei were obviously a rushed and promotional capture, respectively(Can't have our male lead have Totem Ribombee, can we, Japanese toxic masculine culture?)). And as for the "dance", that's barely a thing in the games, let alone the anime, where it seemed instinctual. Kusaka wouldn't be ordered to waste time on that. Moon's Mareanie and Charjabug getting shafted are due to the earlier toxic, fragile masculinity that Japan encourages by focusing on cishet male leads in non-comedic action media. And Zatch Bell has nothing to do with this:It's just crunch-induced orders from on high causing a lack of focus.

You need to remember that the Pokémon Manga sells the games first, and tells a story second, no matter how much glamour disguised as quality is placed on it. Kusaka is under crunch, and under the orders of Game Freak, Nintendo, TPCI and every other branch of the Pokémon franchise tree.

He needs a break. Just like the franchise needs one.

Pokemon.Manga

Good choice, Sword.

Immunity to G-Max Terror.

If it has Dark-type moves, he's borked, though.

Soudo's most likely two catches will probably be Mr. Rime and Marowak since it's a Pokémon with a tool that shows up in the isle of Armor. Calyrex is also a possibility because of iits story and items in its story.

Status
Not open for further replies.