• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Japan Interests

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Does anyone know when the next Karakuri Doji issue comes out? I heard it is released in June.

My favourite thing about Japan is the Cherry Blossoms. My god, the most beautiful flower in the world! <3 I swoon every spring when they come out in Scotland, I'm so glad Scotland can grow cherry blossoms but Japan's parkfulls of them is my idea of heaven.

I could go on and on about anime and manga but who wants to hear all that again? Every next person and their mother seems to like anime and manga. They are in essence just comics and cartoons. Don't get me wrong I do like both but i'd just be repeaeting what others have said.

As for Japanese music, like every other band it depends on what they sound like and if I like their songs. I think final Fantasy sountracks are the only japanese things on my mp3. That and "Kaneda" by Geinoh Yamashirogumi from the Akira soundtrack plus one Gackt song.

The culture and mythology is another great thing. Go look up and learn some of Japan's background.

And of course, Katsushika Hokusai = The block prinitng artist who created "The Great Wave off Kanagawa" is Japanese and he has done the most spectacular art using traditional methods (he was around a loooooonnnnng time ago). You'll instantly recognise the picture i'm talking about.

When I go to Japan i'm defo going to Harajuku to see some of the fancy dress and maybe find some cool clothes for myself. I'll also be going to national parks to see the native wildlife.

Oh yeah don't forget about the food. I adore japanese food. I won't ever try fugu though. I'm not risking my life on a piece of fish!

mario_fan

Kawaiibunkle
[IMG139]http://imageshack.us/m/90/245/kamenrideroooandhisbike.jpg[/IMG139]
^This, games, anime, and Super Sentai. Oh and the music that comes from said things. pretty sure there is at least one song from each of these in my i-pod.

Rocketeer

K-9 Brigade
Into Anime, Manga, Visual Kei, J-Rock and mostly everything around that.
I'm gonna see DIR EN GREY and GACKT in the near future, very pleased =D
I also saw D two weeks ago. Asagi is precious (^__^)

I still can't see what's so good about Japan. The vast majority of people in this thread are like ANIME ^_^ I mean come on are you kidding me.

MarowLan

Rocket Grunt
Into Anime, Manga, Visual Kei, J-Rock and mostly everything around that.
I'm gonna see DIR EN GREY and GACKT in the near future, very pleased =D
I also saw D two weeks ago. Asagi is precious (^__^)

You're going to see Dir en grey! I'm extremely jealous (<-- good song! Lol.) Dir en grey is my all time favorite band! I can't wait for "Different Sense". :)

MarowLan

Rocket Grunt
Anime and... pocky?

And tentacles?

I mean seriously the primary Japanese exports are cars and nerd nonsense.

Still there's alot more to Japan. You should try looking it up, but then again everyone has their own niche. Maybe Japan just isn't yours.

Still there's alot more to Japan. You should try looking it up, but then again everyone has their own niche. Maybe Japan just isn't yours.
In terms of exports, there really isn't.

And the culture isn't exactly anything special, given that it's just an extremist view of the standard 1980's "work hard" culture.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
And the culture isn't exactly anything special, given that it's just an extremist view of the standard 1980's "work hard" culture.
As someone who spent over a month as a high school student there, no. Japan is as nuclear, American 1950s as it gets when it comes to domestic and work culture.

BenjaminBattington

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Didn't really consider myself a fan of Japanese anything in particular. Kinda loathed the vast majority of anime and manga, with a few exceptions like Akira and anything by Studio Ghibli. Same story with video games, again with exceptions (Pokemon obviously.) Never had much of any interest in the music.

And then I visited Osaka. I have to say, there is now one Japanese thing I certainly love, and it's the food.

No, it's not just the food, it's the standard of food that is really high. It felt like I couldn't eat badly if I tried. I could go to the most grubby, backwater little diner and still get an outstanding meal. I swear, I had an egg and ham toasted sandwich in the airport cafe that was by far the best egg and ham sandwich I had ever tasted.

It's difficult for me to admit all this as a man of Chinese heritage, but hats off to Osaka, they really take their food seriously.

The Head Honchkrow

My favourite thing about Japan is the Cherry Blossoms. My god, the most beautiful flower in the world! <3 I swoon every spring when they come out in Scotland, I'm so glad Scotland can grow cherry blossoms but Japan's parkfulls of them is my idea of heaven.

^This. There are quite a few on the route I walk my dog on, and every time they're in bloom, I stick one in his collar. <3

I'm also an admirer of Ukiyo-e Art. Last year, my sister got me a calender with pull-out Ukiyo-e postcards, one for each week.
At the end of the year, I stuck them on my dresser.
There's also this photographer, Kimimasa Mayama, whose photos of cranes are so well-shot that they could almost pass for Ukiyo-e paintings. Here's some of his/her work.

~The Head Honchkrow~

Last edited:

Bhatman

Chilled Hottie
Dudes. Dudettes.

Japan gave us

POKEFREAKINGMON!

ironknight42

Now in all honesty I will say I have interest in Japan, and I must confess I do watch anime and read manga every now and again. My intrest though expands to the language, which I am actually learning 300 Kanji and counting, which I intend to use as a stepping stone to learn Chinese. To be fair there are also many places in Japan I would like to see as well, Sapporo for one, as well as placec around Niigata Prefecture renowned for its abundant snow in the winter. Regardless of what you might think of Japan it is an intriguing place at least worth taking a look at.