• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Japan officially asks America to stop illegal net releases of anime

Kaiserin

please wake up...
Even if this goes through and subbing/major anime distribution sites cease to function, there will always be some way to get anime online, illegally or not, subbed or not.

It's very easy to pirate things on the internet with BitTorrent; unless you eradicate BitTorrent altogether, you're not going to have much luck getting people to stop using it. If someone wants to illegally download some stuff, they could do it with ease even after this is taken care of. Many sites would continue to exist under the radar, just like crack and warez sites do.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
I sure hope it doesn't work. I mean, I'm all for buying the ones translated into English, but what do you do about the ones that aren't? Most of the DVDs have English subtitles, but there's region protection, plus shipping costs can be really outrageous. If they really want to stop it though, they should do away with region protection. Of course, that would require the cooperation of pretty much the whole world, but . . . it only benefits them anyway. I think it ends up hurting them too, in the end.

Anyway, I don't see how they could possibly stop it for good. I mean, when things are taken down, people just put them back up. If it were just one or two people, it wouldn't be a problem because you could punish them, but there are far to many subbers to regulate.

Cutiebunny

Frosty Fashionista
*snort* Good luck, Japan. If the US has failed to crack down on illegal distributions and sales of its software and movies in countries like China, what makes Japan think the US will have any sucess in this area?

In my opinion, Japan is merely acting on complaints from animation studies. This is how it responds - by sending a polite letter to the US government to voice its complaint.

But unless Japan wants to spend billions of dollars cracking down on this problem, I don't see any point in the action other than a nice gesture to the industry. There will always be ways for fans to obtain anime - whether that's on online video sharing sites, auctions(buy a poster, get the series for free!) or by smuggling the product out of the country.

In my opinion, Japan is merely hurting its anime industry through such action - foriegn clients tend to pay big bucks for anime related goods, from cels and sketches, to life sized models(a few Ah my Goddess and Gundam life sizers have sold for about 10K each). The more fans that are conscious of an anime, the higher the liklihood of that anime being licensed in the States. The higher the liklihood of licensing, the higher chance a show has of making a substantial amount of money.

However, unlike other countries, Japan has a strong sense of nationalism when it comes to domestically produced products. Unless you live in Japan, most sellers on Yahoo Japan will not send items to you, even if you can speak and write Japanese fluently. Although these sellers are aware that it will hurt them in their pocketbooks(deputy services generate more sales), many YJ sellers do not care.

Last edited:

Cutiebunny

Frosty Fashionista
So basically what are the chances that something big'll happen?

I'm reminded of a line from "Team America" where Hans Blitz is upset that he can't inspect Kim Jong Il's missiles, and says that the UN will become upset and write an angry letter to Il to show how upset they are.

In other words, next to nil.

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Yeah... very interesting. I wonder if they really mean it? I do think that there will always be a way to find anime, but youtube getting Naruto episodes deleted? Oh noez... :p

Ralts Master

Knight of White Eye
I suspect they're mostly mad because Japanese people are downloading anime that way, rather than because Americans are doing it...

HK

Radiance of Shadows
I suspect they're mostly mad because Japanese people are downloading anime that way, rather than because Americans are doing it...

It's from both ends. Fansubs are hurting the North American industry, as well as other places. Programs such as Bittorrent and P2P have really hit them hard, and while it's not THE problem, it's part of it.

And at their homeland, when you have leeches who would sooner download a RAW instead of buying a DVD -- where most money and thus profit comes in for anime -- then you have some even bigger issues to worry about.

Little to nothing will come out of this. The companies themselves have to target the problem and go after and make an example of the leeches, but the problem is that it would cost a great deal of money to do so. And the NA industry DOES NOT have that much money to throw around.

There's also other complications, but it would take to long to go over them...

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
I hope the Japanese government doesn't get mad at the US for it. That would kinda suck.

While I don't know the exact figures of the anime industry. But I am sure that anime is a fairly large export and Japan will not be pleased to find out the distribution of anime/manga illegally oversea. So I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be mad.

This doesn't make sense.
What is the point of yelling at America if only Japanese are doing it? And I'm pretty sure you've downloaded sub at some point of your life.

WheelerTheViper

Procrastinate Today!
Yeah, I kinda doubt this will do much. Look at Death Note and Romeo x Juliet. Both got D&D noticed for the fansubs, and they are/were still distributed by other groups. I don't see what can really be done to actually stop whe whole fandubbing 'buisness.'

If people would actually buy the bloody DVDs when a show is licened, this wouldn't be such a problem.

Chris

Old Coot
I like how America's being blamed when you have people IN JAPAN recording these episodes and making them available on the internet. Plus you also have people from other countries distributing bootleg DVDs (albeit in horrible quality video-wise and translation-wise).

I understand where they're coming from in this, but they're going about it all wrong. Especially when blaming just America for it.

Cutiebunny

Frosty Fashionista
What I do expect to see, though, are ads in magazines like Newtype USA that attempt to promote the purchase of legitimate DVDs and frown on downloading anime on the internet. It'll be similiar to the ones they put on DVDs that tell you that "You wouldn't steal from anyone, so why would you buy a pirated DVD?" kinda thing. Then the US anime companies will happily write to their Japanese counterparts and say "See! We're trying to stop the illegal downloads!" and everyone will feel all nice and warm over their fruitless efforts.

Cap'n Chris - It's always America's fault ;munchlax;

Last edited:

ParaChomp

be your own guru
The Japanese do have a good reason to be mad.....

FireKero!

SWABLR
As it has already been stated, I blame most of the problem on the Japanese.

Fansubs are a great thing and American dub companies and the original Japanese companies who put out the franchises owe it to us, the fan subbers, for it's popularity. Hell, if it wasn't for the illegal methods of reading manga and watching anime, Japanimation wouldn't have the exposure it does in American culture.

I'm totally against things such as raws going up 30 minutes after the show has premiered the Homeland, but there isn't much American companies can do. Tere'll always be people who will put up manga and anime and distribute them across the community. Really, there's no point in fighting it.

<><><>

Whatever. How things will shape up will be interesting. For now, I'll be watching Bleach episode 145 on one of the many websites that politely give me the opportunity to watch.