• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Japanese/English Reference Thread V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Please don't abuse this as a crash course thread for the Japanese language. I know there's the little list of hiragana and katakana signs at the beginning of the first post, but that simply exists so you can actually read (and memorize) all the character names in kana, in case you're interested in that sort of thing. Don't forget that this isn't in the Pokémon anime section for nothing, though.

1) The point is for separating two words - mostly foreign (-> katakana) words. Mostly used when writing non-Japanese names in the Western order (first name before surname). Then you have to separate the first name and the surname with this dot thing.

The dash-like thing has nothing to do with this. It simply "stretches" a sound in katakana words. For example: "Speed" -> "Supiido" (romanized) -> "スピド"

2) Kinkyuu-koukaku-shobun or something. Not sure about the middle thing.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I've tryied to translate the word "Speed" to japanese and what I see? 速度 or the word "what" - 何
But I don't see those letters in your list. So when they are using those letters, and when they're using the Kana and Hiragana versions? Can you add the Kanji and Romaji letters and their expressions please?

Last edited:

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Uhm, excuse me, but what part of "Please don't abuse this as a crash course thread for the Japanese language." do you not understand?

I will not add the kanji characters because there are several ten thousands of them, and yes, those characters you listed were all kanji characters. What you're asking of me is not just time-consuming and pointless, it's sheerly impossible.

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
I hope I'm allowed to ask here. I'll put this in Spoilers, JIC...

When looking at the name of the new Pokemon revealed, Zorua, it uses the ro character. Why does it become Zorua and not Zoroa in romanji?

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
I hope I'm allowed to ask here. I'll put this in Spoilers, JIC...

When looking at the name of the new Pokemon revealed, Zorua, it uses the ro character. Why does it become Zorua and not Zoroa in romanji?
[SPOIL]I have no idea, sorry.

Depending on whether the second part of its name (the -rua or -ua or dunnowhat) is also derived from a word of a foreign language or is just an arbitrarily chosen syllable, it could either be an unusual spelling->pronunciation discrepancy that's already present in the original language... or artistic freedom XD

Kinda like Shaymin, whose official romanization is, IIRC, also Shaymin despite the fact that, when written in Japanese characters, the name shows no indication of the -n at the end and is simply spelled "Sheimi".[/SPOIL]

Last edited:

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
Ah, Hello. I've noticed a bit of a problem with your list.

Chan | Bruce Chan (Buruusu Chan) | ブルース・チャン
Rin | Bruce Lin (Buruusu Rin) | ブルース・リン
San | Bruce Xian (Buruusu Shan) | ブルース・シャン

Um, thier english names are as follows:

Chan=Kim
Rin=Kail (pronounced like "Kale", the plant)
San(also called "Shan" in Japanese forms...so it says on both Serebii.net and Bulbapedia)=Kai (though some also call him "Kahn" and "Kain". Again, confirmed on Serebii.net and Bulbapedia)

Also, Collectivly, they are called:

The Invincible Pokemon Brothers| The Strongest Brothers| Pokemon Saikyou Burazaazu|(my computer doesn't have the ability to use the Japanese Phonetic Alphabets...)

And some call them "The Fighting-Type Brothers", as well.

Not that it matters here, but I recall in the Original of "Cerulean Blues"/"Rematch in Nibi City!" (<-I think that's it's original title. I might be wrong), the boys state their birth order. Kai/Shan says that he's the oldest brother, and Kail/Rin says that he's the youngest, so by order of elimination, Kim/Chan is the middle child...if you have any other questions about them, I'll try to answer. I fancy myself their biggest fan, and I know as much about them as is possible for characters shown in only two episodes.

Also, I noticed you may or may not have missed the "Wobbufett Party Crashers" back during the Johto Story Arc. Their names are: Hisashi (the red-haired one with the Primeape) Tsuyoshi (the aqua-haired one with the hitmonlee) and Tetsuya (the blonde Machoke user)...

Hope I helped.

~Nemmeh ;107;

Last edited:

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Wow, why didn't I notice this post until now? Thanks for the info, I'll get to that as soon as possible. Not sure if I'll add the general group name as I seem to recall leaving similar things out before (PMC, Mother Pokémon Fanclub or whatever it's called), but still, a big thanks! =)

Also planning to finally continue with the items and anime-only towns~

Edit: I keep hearing "Khan" when the fat one introduces himself in "Gotta Catch Ya Later", although Bulba says he's only called Khan in Chronicles... not sure what to do with that o.ô

Last edited:

pok3mex

I have this question...
What's the word that characters say that I would translate as "go" when they tell their Pokemon to attack? For example, when Ash is battling luxray with his infernape, for the final move he asks infernape to use flame wheel, and then uses that word. Also Dawn uses it for the final move in the grand festival, she commands piplup to use peck and togekiss to use sky attack; then she uses that word.

-Salamence-

I have this question...
What's the word that characters say that I would translate as "go" when they tell their Pokemon to attack? For example, when Ash is battling luxray with his infernape, for the final move he asks infernape to use flame wheel, and then uses that word. Also Dawn uses it for the final move in the grand festival, she commands piplup to use peck and togekiss to use sky attack; then she uses that word.

From what I know it's 'ike'

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks, added^^

Also, some things:
1) Worked some more on correcting character names from older series since some of them were apparently mixed up... or completely absent.

There are also people who were unnamed in the dub but had names in the Japanese version (and vice-versa!) - both cases are difficult for me to check up on because I don't have any dub episodes available.

I don't expect anyone to have the time to actively search, but if anyone happens to look at the character list (especially from Johto) and finds that a character who was named in at least one version is missing, please tell me, I'm not likely to find out by myself ;P

2) Added a chunk of manga titles for some reason. I don't know why I still care about that section but there you are. If you know of some other official manga, pooost :D

3) Worked on the 5th Gen Pokémon list and was happy about being up-to-date until I saw today's explosion of news. Lovely.

Last edited:

BoxedLunch

This is a great guide, but the manga section is sadly lacking. I own a lot of the Japanese mangas, so I can help with those sections. For now, I've just done my two favorites, Pokemon Adventures and Magical Pokemon Journey. I'll get to the other ones I have later.

I tried to follow the style used in this guide, but feel free to clean it up to match more if you want. I think the order in which I list the names is right, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokémon Adventures
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Humans
Main
Red | Red (Reddo) | レッド
Blue Oak | Green Ookido (Ookido Guriin) | オーキド・グリーン
Green | Blue (Buruu) | ブルー
Amarillo del Bosque Verde "Yellow" | Yellow de TokiwaGrove (Ieroo de Tokiwaguroobu) | イエロー・デ・トキワグローブ
Gold | Gold (Goorudo) | ゴールド
Silver | Silver (Shirubaa) | シルバー
Crystal "Chris" | Crystal "Crys" (Kurisutaru "Kurisu") | クリスタル (クリス)
Ruby | Ruby (Rubii) | ルビー
Sapphire Birch | Sapphire Odamaki (Odamaki Safaia) | オダマキ・サファイア
Emerald | Emerald (Emerarudo) | エメラルド
Diamond "Dia" | Diamond "Dia" (Daiyamondo "Daiya") | ダイヤモンド "ダイヤ"
Pearl | Pearl (Paaru) | パール
Platinum Berlitz / Missy | Platina Berlitz (Berurittsu Purachina) / Lady (Ojousama) | ベルリッツ・プラチナ / お嬢さま

Supporting
Daisy Oak | Nanami Ookido (Ookido Nanami) | オーキド・ナナミ
Mr. Briney | Old Man Hagi (Hagi Roujin) | ハギ老人
Captain Stern | Captain Kusunoki (Kusunoki Kanchou) | クスノキ館長
Kimberly | Kiwame | キワメ
Phil | Bozz (Boozu) / Junji | ボーズ / ジュンジ
William | Akihito | アキヒト
Joey | Gorou | ゴロウ
Wanda | Michiru | ミチル
Riley | Ryuuji | リュウジ
Gabby & Ty | Mary (Mari) & Dai | マリ&ダイ

Villains
Team Rocket
Al | Ryou | リョウ
Ken | Ken | ケン
Harry | Harry (Harii) | ハリー
Masked Man / Mask of Ice | Masked Man / Mask of Ice (Kamen no Otoko / Masuku obu Aisu) | 仮面の男 / マスク・オブ・アイス
Kaene | Kurtz (Kaatsu) | カーツ
Chermaine | Siam (Shamu) | シャム
Orm | Ouka | オウカ
Carr | Chakura | チャクラ
Sird | Saki | サキ

Team Magma
Tabitha | Homura | ホムラ
Courtney | Kagari | カガリ
Mack | Hokage | ホカゲ

Team Aqua
Matt | Ushio | ウシオ
Shelly | Izumi | イズミ
Amber | Shizuku | シズク

Other
??? | Guile Hideout (Gairu Haidauto) | ガイル・ハイダウト

Pokémon
Red
Saur | Fushi (Fus'shii) | フッシー
Poli | Nyoro | ニョロ
Pika | Pika | ピカ
Lax | Gon | ゴン
Gyara | Gyara | ギャラ
Aero | Pte (Pute) | プテ
no nickname | Vui (Bui) | ブイ

Blue
Blasty | Kame-chan (Kamechan) | カメちゃん
no nickname | Puriri | ぷりり
Ditty | Meta-chan (Metachan) | メタちゃん
Clefy | Pi-kun (Pik'kun) | ピッくん
Nidory | Nido-chan (Nidochan) | ニドちゃん
no nickname | Tat-chan (Tac'chan) | タッちゃん
no nickname | Bull (Buruu) | ブルー

Yellow
Chuchu | Chuchu | チュチュ
Ratty | Rat-chan (Rac'chan) | ラッちゃん
Dody | Dodo-suke (Dodosuke) | ドドすけ
Gravvy | Omu-suke (Omusuke) | オムすけ
Omny | Golo-suke (Gorosuke) | ゴロすけ
Kitty | Pie-suke (Piisuke) | ピーすけ

Gold
Exbo / Explotaro | Bak-tarou (Bakutarou) | バクたろう
Aibo / Ataro | Ee-tarou (Eetarou) | エーたろう
Polibo / Poltaro | Nyo-tarou (Nyotarou) | ニョたろう
Sunbo / Sintaro | Kima-tarou (Kimatarou) | キマたろう
Sudobo / Utaro | Uu-tarou (Uutarou) | ウーたろう
Mantaro | Man-tarou (Mantarou) | マンたろう
Togebo / Togetaro | Toge-tarou (Togetarou) | トゲたろう

Crystal
Mega | Mega-pyon (Megapyon) | メガぴょん
Chumee | Muchi-pyon (Muchipyon) | ムチぴょん
Hitmonee | Ebi-pyon (Ebipyon) | エビぴょん
Parasee | Para-pyon (Parapyon) | パラぴょん
Arckee | Win-pyon (Uin-pyon) | ウインぴょん
Natee | Na-pyon (Neipyon) | ネイぴょん
Bonee | Kara-pyon (Karapyon) | カラぴょん
Mimee | Bari-pyon (Baripyon) | バリぴょん

Ruby
Zuzu | Zuzu | ZUZU / ズズ
Nana | Nana | NANA / ナナ
Coco | Coco / Coco (Koko) | COCO / ココ
Popo | Popo | POPO / ポポ
Mimi | Mimi | MIMI / ミミ
Ruru | Ruru | RURU / ルル

Sapphire
Toro | Chamo | ちゃも
Rono | Dorara | どらら
Dono | Fadodo | ふぁどど
Pilo | Tororo | とろろ
Walo | Eruru | えるる
Relo | Jirara | じらら

Diamond
Wig | Ruu | るー
Lax | Bee | べー
??? | Puu | ぷー
??? | Rii | りー
??? | Muu | むー

Pearl
Chimhiko | Saru-hiko (Saruhiko) | サルヒコ
Chahiko | Pera-hiko (Perahiko) | ぺラヒコ
??? | Tora-hiko (Torahiko) | トラヒコ
??? | Zel-hiko (Zeruhiko) | ゼルヒコ
??? | Dig-hiko (Diguhiko) | ディグヒコ
??? | Taro-hiko (Tarohiko) | タロヒコ

Magical Pokémon Journey

Humans
Hazel | Marron (Maron) | マロン
Almond | Almond (Aamondo) | アーモンド
Coconut | Coconut (Kokonattsu) | ココナッツ
Peanut | Green Peas (Guriin Piisu) | グリーン・ピース
Pistachio | Green Pistachio (Guriin Pisutachio) | グリーン・ピスタチオ
Walnut | Wal (Wooru) | ウォール
Apricot | Koume | 小梅
Sandy | Nagisa | ナギサ
Caraway | Caraway (Kyarawei) | キャラウエー
Plum | Plum (Puramu) | プラム
Grandpa | Grandpa (Jiichan) | じーちゃん
Ginger | Ginger (Jinjaa) | ジンジャー

Pokémon
Danerina | Danerina (Daneriina) | ダネリーナ
Chiko | Chiko | チコ
Lu | Lu (Ruu) | るー
Marimaru | Marimaru | マリ丸

Last edited:

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
You're a star :D Thank you so much for these. I'll add them as soon as the editing function becomes a little faster here.

BoxedLunch

You're a star :D Thank you so much for these. I'll add them as soon as the editing function becomes a little faster here.
No problem, take your time. ^_^ And, once again, really awesome guide. The style's really attractive and easy to follow.

-Salamence-

i don't know why but everybody had a mistake. the jap name for kadabra is not yungerer, it's yungeler. from uri geler's name.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Hm... not sure what to do with that.

Everyone having "Yungerer" seems to indicate that that's the official romanization, though I'm not sure. The Pokémon list is mostly copied from the previous thread, so I don't know about the original author's intentions behind that (unless he was, like I said, just going with the trademark romaji).

It's not like I always stick to trademark names no matter what, but yeah... I'll think about changing it. Thanks for the heads up, in any case^^

Bla7kCaT

holy crap.. wow i cant even imagine the effort you had to put into all this.. VERY useful to know, and refer to

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
A few things

Guile Hideout | Guile Hideout (Gairu Haidauto) | ガイル・ハイダウト

Red

Saur | Fushi (Fus'shii) | フッシー
Poli | Nyoro | ニョロ
Pika | Pika | ピカ
Snor | Gon | ゴン
Gyara | Gyara | ギャラ
Aero | Pte (Pute) | プテ
Vee | Vui (Bui) | ブイ

Crystal
Megaree | Mega-pyon (Megapyon) | メガぴょん
Chumee | Muchi-pyon (Muchipyon) | ムチぴょん
Monlee | Ebi-pyon (Ebipyon) | エビぴょん
Parasee | Para-pyon (Parapyon) | パラぴょん
Archy | Win-pyon (Uin-pyon) | ウインぴょん
Natee | Na-pyon (Neipyon) | ネイぴょん
Bonee | Kara-pyon (Karapyon) | カラぴょん
No nickname | Bari-pyon (Baripyon) | バリぴょん (Mimee is fan thing)

Diamond
Wig | Ruu | るー
Lax | Bee | べー
Don | Puu | ぷー
??? | Rii | りー
??? | Muu | むー

Platinum Berlitz / Missy | Platinum Berlitz (Berurit'tsu Purachina) / Lady (Ojousama) | ベルリッツ・プラチナ / お嬢さま (Her name is officially written as Platinum, not Platina. Platina is nothing more than a fan nickname)

Last edited:

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Thank you, (hopefully) everything added/changed :D

It's been like that for a while, but the list now includes all English names for the Unova Pokémon as well as the game characters. I know some characters are still missing, but the completion of that list doesn't seem that urgent to me as long as the games aren't out in Europe/USA/etc. yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.