• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Japanese Language Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hikui

Strange one~
May I join too please?
I know the japanese language very well,and use it whenever needed/possible.
I may be able to help out with meanings of words too. ^_^

LegendaryArcanine

Dream of a Legend...
Welcome!!!

WARNING: I like to type... A LOT!

Alright, Flareon, you're now "officialized"! Thanks for joining the Japanese Lanuage Club! Mother = haha, right :). Someone asked me how to say mother and they cracked up when I told them. I'm no expert at pronuciation, so, it was sorda a funny conversation, but they understood what I meant.

Please may I join?
I like the japanese sytle of games.

You sure can join, Angel-FoX-crescent! Is there a nickname you like to go by? Anyways, what games do you like to play most? I like to sometimes set the game language setting to japanese and see if there's any differences.

Thank you for letting me be Co-Owner!^_^
What should be the first topic?​

You're welcome! I'm looking forward to having a great time here. What topic? I'll get to that at the end of this post. Don't worry, you're almost there!

Crystal Clair:
Congradulations, Cystal Clair, you're a new member to the Japanese Lanuage Club! I have this computer set to type japanese and stuff, too. Too bad the forums isn't currently supporting it :p. To everyone else: I'll be adding some stuff on how to set up your computer to type japanese, too (if not already). Of course, it's usually best to learn some of the basics of the language before you get started on that.
That's a great example you got there, too! That's probably what we'll have to do here until (hopefully) the database is reformatted or whatever. Plus, there's the romanji. Thanks!
Also, I've never been to the PokeCommunity, but I'll let you know this club is going to be lots of fun! If you start to get bored, just post a message with your opinion or better: PM me. I'm going to try to make sure this club is fun for everyone!

Now down to club news!

I'll being taking suggestions to what everyone wants to do here, as will the co-owners. If you have any ideas of stuff you'd like to learn or do, just post a reply or you can even PM me. I already have some ideas posted at the front, and one of them is about visitors. I am hoping to build up enough so that visitors will know this here and they can pop in and ask for translation requests. If you don't know what in the world to say, that's O.K. Someone should be able to help them soon after. Rember, this club is open to members from any background! No knowledge required :)

On-going Discussion topic:
O.K. First off, if everyone likes the idea, there'll be an ongoing activiity that works along these lines: To help those who are new to language (or help keep the rest of us sharp), those who would like to could have a word at the bottom of their post and each time they post (when they have time) can tell a word in japanese (using romanji) and tell what it means and stuff. You can just look something up in the dictionary (freedict.com is listed above) if you want even! That might sound confusin, but I'll hopefully explain it better soon.

First Discussion topic:
O.K. This will be our first active topic. You don't have to respond to all of the questions, though! If you don't know what to say, try and look it up. If that doesn't suit you, try asking questions! Remember, I'm taking requests on what you'd like to do here, too. I hope you like it!

What does "sumimasen" mean? When do you use it? Have you ever seen it in use?

Good Luck!

Word of the Moment
Ookii: Means "big" or "great".

Last edited:

Mega Trickster

Blargagh blargh

"I'm sorry", not often, yes.

Spookz

Lumos
wewt.

I might as well join up. I'm teaching myself the language, slowly, but I'm getting there I suppose. I have a few good links to share, if anyone is interested:

http://www.learn-japanese.info/indexv.html
There isn't a huge stockpile of vocab, but I found the grammar lessons useful.

http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/FG=r/dict
A really helpful dictionary, when it works. The site tends to screw up a lot, but it's a good source for vocabulary when it does work.

http://www.dicts.info/dictionary.php?l1=English&l2=Japanese_Romaji
An alternate dictionary I use if the former is giving me error messages. xD

LegendaryArcanine

Dream of a Legend...
Welcome, Spookz!

Welcome,Spookz! I'm teaching myself as well. It might seem like a lot of stuff to learn, but I like to think of this way: the more stuff there is to learn, the more great stuff you get to find out and have fun with! Also, yes, I am VERY interested in any good sites out there! I looked them over a little and they loook like they'll be really useful. I'll be adding them in minute at the same time as I "officialize" you :). I hope you enjoy it here! Do you have any comments on "sumimasen" or suggestions for the club?

Phase of the Moment
"Ohayou gozaimasu" is a formal way of saying "Good Morning".

Jinchuuriki Hunter

Johto Champion Ninja
I'm kinda new to Japanese. I can read Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji. (Some of it. For others, there has to be those little Hiragana characters beside/above it.)

I understand vaguely how Japanese grammar works, though not completely. My vocabulary is still pretty small.

So can I join?

I'm part Chinese so it's fairly easy for me to understand Kanji. Reading it is another thing.

Oooo, can I do a phase of the moment?
"Kame wa kami da."
Turtle is god!
*Still not very sure about Japanese grammar. Correct any mistakes if you spot them.*

Haruka

Banned
^About your phase of the moment, You could add "Sama" to the end of "Kami", Because Sama is a word used to show great respect to that person, Or kame in this case.^_^;

Angel-FoX-crescent

Moon Fennec Angel
WARNING: I like to type... A LOT!

Alright, Flareon, you're now "officialized"! Thanks for joining the Japanese Lanuage Club! Mother = haha, right :). Someone asked me how to say mother and they cracked up when I told them. I'm no expert at pronuciation, so, it was sorda a funny conversation, but they understood what I meant.

You sure can join, Angel-FoX-crescent! Is there a nickname you like to go by? Anyways, what games do you like to play most? I like to sometimes set the game language setting to japanese and see if there's any differences.

You're welcome! I'm looking forward to having a great time here. What topic? I'll get to that at the end of this post. Don't worry, you're almost there!

Crystal Clair:
Congradulations, Cystal Clair, you're a new member to the Japanese Lanuage Club! I have this computer set to type japanese and stuff, too. Too bad the forums isn't currently supporting it :p. To everyone else: I'll be adding some stuff on how to set up your computer to type japanese, too (if not already). Of course, it's usually best to learn some of the basics of the language before you get started on that.
That's a great example you got there, too! That's probably what we'll have to do here until (hopefully) the database is reformatted or whatever. Plus, there's the romanji. Thanks!
Also, I've never been to the PokeCommunity, but I'll let you know this club is going to be lots of fun! If you start to get bored, just post a message with your opinion or better: PM me. I'm going to try to make sure this club is fun for everyone!

Now down to club news!

I'll being taking suggestions to what everyone wants to do here, as will the co-owners. If you have any ideas of stuff you'd like to learn or do, just post a reply or you can even PM me. I already have some ideas posted at the front, and one of them is about visitors. I am hoping to build up enough so that visitors will know this here and they can pop in and ask for translation requests. If you don't know what in the world to say, that's O.K. Someone should be able to help them soon after. Rember, this club is open to members from any background! No knowledge required :)

On-going Discussion topic:
O.K. First off, if everyone likes the idea, there'll be an ongoing activiity that works along these lines: To help those who are new to language (or help keep the rest of us sharp), those who would like to could have a word at the bottom of their post and each time they post (when they have time) can tell a word in japanese (using romanji) and tell what it means and stuff. You can just look something up in the dictionary (freedict.com is listed above) if you want even! That might sound confusin, but I'll hopefully explain it better soon.

First Discussion topic:
O.K. This will be our first active topic. You don't have to respond to all of the questions, though! If you don't know what to say, try and look it up. If that doesn't suit you, try asking questions! Remember, I'm taking requests on what you'd like to do here, too. I hope you like it!

Good Luck!

Word of the Moment
Ookii: Means "big" or "great".

Thank you kindly and call me Angel-FoX.
Iam also a new games design student at uni which I am gonna start next week and I plan to get a japanese text progame so I can understand it in the mean time I'll get a book.

Sonozaki Maya

realized seraph
o_o There was bound to be a club like this sometime... Well, I guess I will join.

My knowledge of Japanese is not... wide, but I can read hiragana and katakana easily, and I know quite a bit of kanji, well, at least, the meaning. Mainly because I can integrate my Chinese knowledge with Kanji of Japanese. I can write a lot of kanji, and at times, I end up "write-speaking" with Japanese friends of mine (IRL). That being said...

If I may, "sumimasen," is more of a phrase use in the "excuse me," sort of sense. There are variations of the pronunciation, one of them being "suimasen" (expulsion of mi in favor of just the i). I see it being use quite often, and the other times I see it often are in import games I play (Tales of the Abyss uses "sumimasen" quite often).

Bashaamo

<-I like udon
When I was in Japan once, in a store a guy was in a hurry, and he squeezed in between the shelf and my back and he said sumimasen. ;>> So how do people usually say sorry to strangers, sumimasen or gomennasai?

Last edited:

LegendaryArcanine

Dream of a Legend...
Hi, everyone!

I'm so glad people like it here :). I'm going to respond to some posts, but I think a few new ones got posted "behind" some others due to some forum problem 22 or so hours ago. So, they're newer than than they were posted.

Jinchuuriki Hunter:
Welcome to the club! Aren't those little hiragana being written next to some kanji called ruby or something like that? I haven't looked too much into it yet, but I have seen it a lot. Also, you're always welcome to (if not, encouraged) to include a word/phrase of the moment :)! After we all do up enough total, I'll be putting them into a single post and linking it to the front, so, post away!

Hikui:
You sure can join! I'm glad you're so willing to help, too! Hopefully we'll be getting some translation requests soon! I hope you enjoy it here!

o_o There was bound to be a club like this sometime... Well, I guess I will join.

You "guess". Hmm... :)
O.K. You're in! You really know your stuff, too. What does IRL mean, though? Anyways, I hope you enjoy it here! If you ever have a suggestion or get bored, you're welcome to post here or PM me!

Thanks for joining everyone! I'll be adding a quick edit in a little bit with some news and maybe a new topic :). So, stay tuned!

Edit:

Club News
Hi everyone! It's been just a few days and the club's at a great start! We've gotten over 10 members and it looks like everyone really does enjoy learning/using japanese. I'm looking forward to some activities I have planned and I hope you'll like them, too! One activity will involve our discussions of japanese audio/captions in movies and games :). Remember, if you have any questions, don't be shy in asking! Ideas and requests can be posted here, too; or, if you would rather, you can even PM me, Haruka, or Mega Trickster and we'll get right with you! Now on to our new discussion!

New Discussion Topic
Do you ever play games set to "Japanese" in their language settings or any that have been imported? Do you notice any differences? Do like playing them in japanese?

You don't have to answer the questions specifically or in any specific order. This is really just to get the discussion going. I know some of you have already mentioned doing so, but now you can share your experiences, talk about what all you notice, what you like/dislike about it, etc. Have fun!

Word of the Moment:
"Neko" means cat :).

Last edited:

Sonozaki Maya

realized seraph
Do you ever play games set to "Japanese" in their language settings or any that have been imported? Do you notice any differences? Do like playing them in japanese?

The current list of import games I need to finish:
Tales of the Abyss <-- well, stateside version is coming out soon...
Ar Tonelico <-- meh, there's gonna be plans for it iirc...
Rasetsu -Alternative- <-- this is one awesome game, you can make your name in Kanji! Something most import games don't normally do. (My character name is Suisen, or Water Flash in English)

Most of the time, the Japanese import games tend to implement jokes.

I only make Language/Voice option to Japanese once I've beaten the game already. This only applies to NIS America games that have this option, ie. Disgaea 1/2, MK, etc.

For the information, IRL stands for In Real Life.

The little hiragana written either above (newspapers/some games, an example being the Wild Arms series)) or next to (manga/doujin) kanji is called Furigana. Ruby is a type of scripting engine, lmao.

--my own word of moment--
[neh, hopefully I don't get shot x3]
"Shikata" means "way" or "method". You'll be seeing this word a LOT in games, trust me. ^_~

Jinchuuriki Hunter

Johto Champion Ninja
Well, I have this one game but it's stuck on Japanese, meaning that's the only language set for it. It's called Naruto Narutematte Hero 3 and it's pretty fun.

So they're called Furigana. Great.

Word of the moment:
"Mizu" = Water

Bashaamo

<-I like udon
T-T No, I still need to work on reading. I do better in speaking the language, because in the language I know (Other than English, duh) they speak vowels the same way and everything, which makes it way easier for me. ;>>
Word of the moment:
"Bashaamo" means Blaziken. xD J/k. "Hikaru" means Light.

Sonozaki Maya

realized seraph
Eh... Hikari is more common usage for "Light," as a name and a noun... Hikaru is a verb for "shine," using the kanji of hikari (kou)...

Phrase of the moment:

"Kakatte koi!" ~ a taunt often used to connote the meaning of, "Bring it on!"

Crystal Clair

Yeah, Yoshi Story and my entire DS. They had that option.
There's no difference but because it's unreadable in Yoshi story, it seems cooler. And when people look at my ds, they're like "you know Japanese!?" And I'm like "yeah, so what"

Bashaamo

<-I like udon
Eh... Hikari is more common usage for "Light," as a name and a noun... Hikaru is a verb for "shine," using the kanji of hikari (kou)...

Phrase of the moment:

"Kakatte koi!" ~ a taunt often used to connote the meaning of, "Bring it on!"
That one word in my post was a typo. ;>>
Word of the moment:
"Hidoi" means terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.