• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Japanese Language Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I join? I am always downloading Japanese eps of Pokemon and would like to learn Japanese so I can understand them.

A Japanese club? This is interesting. I'd love to join! I have only been studying for...roughly two years. I did it for half a year in year 8 because half was Jap and half was Italian. Then in year 9 I didn't choose it for an elective because I wasn't that passionate about it. Then in term 2 of year 9 I wanted to learn it and I was enthusiastic about it so I asked my teacher for the best way and he suggested that I joined class; so I did. And then I learned it 3 terms from then on and now for two terms into year 10. I am also going to Japan in late November with the class so we get to miss out on the last week of school for the year.

But yes, I love the language and I'm a good student and talking to people with the same interest would be great, plus I could brush up on some skills. So may I join?

LegendaryArcanine

Dream of a Legend...
Welcome, ~*Mudkip Fantastic*~! Do you mind if I call you Mudkip? You're now an official member of the Japanese Language Club. It is fun to read/translate episodes, so, I hope you learn lots here!

Hi, Misty-Fan-Forever! You're also officialized now! That's great to read about your studies. It sounds like you should enjoy it here, so have fun!

Oh, and thanks for welcoming the new members, Haruka!

Well, that isn't really the reference... Just a translation tidbit, to be honest. I won't spoil the reference yet, since it's quite subtle unless you know what the doujin is based on. Well, I'll get more pages up in case you guys want any, just post here asking or PM me or something.

LOL, I didn't think that was anywhere near it, I was just trying to get part of a cookie (you know, for effort) :). Anyways, I wouldn't mind more pages. I enjoy looking at japanese stuff! I really appreciate it, Trance!

By the way, I got lucky and 3 exchange students from Japan were sent to my friends school...

That is pretty great, Mira. I hope continue to take advantage of the opportunity and have a good time!

Word of the Moment
"Tomodachi" means friend :).

Question of the Moment
Does Tamagachi (the virtual pet thing) originate from the word friend? Just wondering. :)

I just watched Johnothon Ross' Japanorama and I learnt a new word, 'Otaku' meaning a person who is fanatically devoted to an anime or manga. So basically most of this forum.

List of words I know:
Konnichiwaa(sp?)
Kamekaze
Otaku
Kawaii
Yatan(sp?)(Know the word but not sure on the meaning)
Numbers 1-10
Arigato

I'll join, na no nya! I've learned more Japanese than I learned Spanish, and I took Spanish 1 as a freshman.l_l;

Word of the moment: 'nya' is the japanese equivalent of 'meow'. Kawaii koneko-chan~!

Haruka

Banned
^Yokoso, Pika Hikari KT!^_^
No problem, LegendaryArcanine!​
Hitokoto No Sunji!
Yokoso means Welcome.​

LegendaryArcanine

Dream of a Legend...
Another Member, Another Welcome!

Hi, Pika Hikari KT! You're greatly welcomed here! That's a neat word of the moment, you got there, too :)) Cute Kitten :) ).

Hi, Mudkip! Depending on how the romanji comes out, "konnichiha" could have "ha" at the end (even though it is pronounced "wa", I'm pretty sure). It's actually in a banner I made :), too. Also, if you know 1-10, you basically know numbers 11-99 if you hadn't read that, yet :).

Club News:

Words of the Moment (thanks, everyone!)
Everything's going great and I should probably start making that index of the words/phrases of the moment. Eveyone's been doing such a great job, thanks! It'll probably take me a little bit, but it should turn out pretty well.

Co-owner-wise (is that a word?)
I should be trying to contact Haruka and Mega Trickster (tomorrow) about any ideas they have for the club and stuff they'd like to do, so, I'll update with any notes the club overall should know.

Banners
Also, I'm going to be doing up another quick banner for fun, too. So I might edit in a little bit with that alone. If anyone else would like to do up a banner (we can have as many as we want :)) or if you would like an idea to do one up, just say so. Different sized banners would probably be useful to help fit everyone's taste in sigs.

Discussions
It seems like everyone is actually getting along fine without any "official" discussion. So, you may continue as you are, but if you can't thing of anything else to say, you may try this:

Have you ever watched a movie/show entirely in japanese? Did you understand any of it?

Aagain, current discussions may continue as they are, that's just an idea for anyone feeling a little shy.

Word of the Moment
"Eiga" means movie.

Last edited:

Haruka

Banned
Have you ever watched a movie/show entirely in japanese? Did you understand any of it?
Yes, I watch "Poketto Monsuta" all the time! Though i usually only understand 40% of it...​
Hitokoto No Sunji!
"Tabemasu" means eat.​

LegendaryArcanine

Dream of a Legend...
"Poketto Monsuta", eh? Hmmm... I wonder what it could be... :)

I've watched Godzilla quite a few times.

Word of the Moment
Well, since Haruka took my tabemasu word :), I guess I'll go with "en" which refers to their currency (yen). It sorda depends on your conversation. Correct me if I'm wrong, though :)

Sonozaki Maya

realized seraph
I've seen Mai-HIME, Ragnarok: The Animation and 2 episodes of Rozen Maiden without any subtitles, entirely in Japanese. And yes, I managed to understand the gist of it, and I could understand any side information too.

Mudkip-Fantastic: Don't abuse "otaku" too much though, since the original meaning is "you" or "home," iirc.

--Hitokoto no Sunji--
"Yuurei" means "Ghost."

Shadow Ichigo

Left On A Journey
O.K. Here's my attempt :)

I looked it up and what I came up with was either "one word" (with ichi- meaning "one" and the -go referring to language stuff) or "strawberry". Hmmm... I'm sure there could be more, but based off this, you're name comes out to either something like the shadow word/one word of the shadow or Shadow Strawberry :). I don't what the answer is for sure, but "Shadow Strawberry" sure does sound funny! (sorry)

In the process, I found a really neat site called Ichigo's Sheet Music: http://ichigos.com. Whether I guessed it right or not, I'm glad you asked us, Shadow Ichigo. Thanks!

Edit: Oh, I forgot to say thanks for the extension of the meaning of haruka. Thanks!

Hey its alright. I glad that you figure it out right away^^. And your welcome LegendaryArcanine.

Yes I have with my grandmother. My grandmother is pure japanese and she always buys japanese movies. I sometimes watch them with her. And I sometimes I perfer watching subtitled movies.

Here's an easy one. Lets see if you guys can figure what Gohan means. Its really easy XD.

Here's an easy one. Lets see if you guys can figure what Gohan means. Its really easy XD.
I think everyone's watched enough DBZ to know that Gohan means rice(more specifically, cooked rice). That animé's full of food puns, nya!:p

Subs can be pretty hard to come by(especially when they're already liscensed for dubbing), so usually I do watch it in just Japanese. I try to understand as much as I can.

Hitokoto no Sunji: Yu-Gi-Oh and Ojamajo Doremi fans will know this one--'Ojama', which means bothersome or clumsy!^_^

Last edited:

LegendaryArcanine

Dream of a Legend...
A new banner!

Hi, everyone!

I did up a new banner that I (and anyone who likes it) will be using. The URL for each part is below. I had to break it up into two pictures to conform to signature rules, and each part counts as banner, too. I doubt many people will want to have just this banner in their signature (no other pictures would be allowed), but I figured I'd let you all know, anyway :). Also, I'll be updating the first post's Banner Section. I'll have my old banner there, too. If anyone else would like to submit a banner, you're welcome to post!

Word of the Moment
"Miru" means to look at, view, etc.

Hikui

Strange one~
The new banner looks real nice!
I like the Japanese characters in the right corner too. ^_^
My word of the moment:
'Hai' meaning yes.

Last edited:
Thank you for letting me join, I'm sure I'll love it here. For fun I made a banner.

japclubfq4.png

Link -http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/130/japclubfq4.png

If anyone wants to use it they may, also everyone can just call me MFF. That's my forum nickname ^-^

I have watched Japanese Pokemon episodes and gotten the jist of it. I also watch anime in Japanese (either because there is no english dub or I just like the jap version better) but they are subtitles so I guess that's cheating xD

Oh, I'll be getting my results for my Jap Writing/Reading and Listening exams tomorrow. I'll post how I went tomorrow.

Word of the Moment
"shumi" meaning hobby.

Jinchuuriki Hunter

Johto Champion Ninja
Iie. And if I do, I'd probably look at subtitles...

Now I kinda understand "wa" ang "ga". How 'bout "o"?
Yeah, when is "o" used?

Word of the moment:
"Tenten". Those little double dashes that can turn "sa" into "za".

Hikui

Strange one~
Have you ever watched a movie/show entirely in Japanese? Did you understand any or it?
Yes,very very very many things,entirely japanese. All with no subs.
Yea I understood the dialouge just fine.
Another topic:
Ever listened to Japanese music? Did you understand the lyrics?
24/7,and yes. ^_^

Last edited:

Mira

Hmmm, maybe I can contribute. Ah, "Tegami" means "letter" but make sure not to pronounce it as "Tegani" which means crab claw.

Also, in Japan, never order anything with "mango" in the name(mango juice,ect.) dont ask.

Word of the moment:
"Tenten". Those little double dashes that can turn "sa" into "za".

That reminds me, Japanese quotation marks,[....], are called "kagikakko". And the little circle you use to make "ha hi fu he ho" into "pa pi pu pe po" is called a "maru" (which incidently means circle or round).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.