• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Japanese or American Anime?

Japanese or American Anime?

• Japanese Anime

Votes: 77 79.4%
  • American Anime

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Both of them, I can't decide

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sailor Merury

Butterflys rock!
Didn't see a thread like this, so I'd make one. Just say which one you like better. DO NOT MAKE THIS A FLAME WAR! For me, it's Japanese anime.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
.....................what?

Seriously...what are you asking? When people say Anime, usually they mean Japanese Cartoons (although, techinically it is a French origin.)

Are you saying Original vs Dub?

Sailor Merury

Butterflys rock!
Sorry. I call them both anime. Anime means Animation.

Sailor Merury

Butterflys rock!
Yes bassicly. Again, DON'T MAKE THIS A FLAME WAR! I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm preventing it.

Sailor Merury

Butterflys rock!
What do you mean "Anymore"? They used to make good ones? See Turkish shows and then tell me what's bad. And there used to be good American Shows?

Sailor Merury

Butterflys rock!
Oh. I don't mind some of them. By some, I mean the ones I grew up watching. Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents....etc. It's only cuz I grew up watching them. By that I mean, 6-9.

Lol at first I thought you meant this:

..Japanese Anime like, say, Naruto or Pokemon

....AMERICAN Anime like, say, Avatar(sp?), or Teen Titans

Yeah. Got confused for a moment lol. ;3

Anyways I chose Japanese Anime, for sort of the same reasons why Kojiro picked it.

I mean, there ARE some really good American cartoons out there, but recently everything in my eyes has been viewed as "crap" so...yeah. (meaning the recent ones as the new ones) 'Cause I'll still watch the old (*coughbettercough*) one like the old Rugrats, the old Scooby Doo, and even sometimes Popeye x.x *has no idea why* but maan were those good days; waking up at 4am every morning in order to see it! ;P

Sailor Merury

Butterflys rock!
You got up at 4am to watch something, ~Meitantei Starlight*~?

TeddiUrsa

Anime are japanese cartoons. all cartoons done in japan are anime. simple as that

there are no "american anime", even cartoons like teen titans which have japanese influenced, animation-wise aren´t anime.

It´s kinda hard for me to decide.

I love cartoons like Ren & Stimpy, Rocko´s modern life, Invader Zim, Simpsons or Futurama to death. All time favourites which can´t be beaten.

yet, I love Evangelion, Detective Conan, Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, pokemon to a point,Samurai Shamploo, One Piece, FLCL,Gantz or Video Girl Ai.

It´s just that anime impress me much more and are more memoriable to me, thinking about it.

Just very few cartoons have a serious feeling to them. Some episodes of Futurama ( "the sting", for example is brilliant) make me cry, but are never as emotional as Evangelion in general, or the sad pasts of the One Piece crewmembers.

I prefer some wacky cartoons for funny and entertaing moments ( well, same with animes, but I don´t really like pure-comedy-only animes) as I prefer emotional and interesting animes.

I´m biased towards animes because the german television is full of them since the 70ies, like "the bee-maya" or "Heidi" or " alfred J. Quack" which I love as a kindergarten-child ^^ though I loved Tiny Toon adventures when I was 7.

Both, anime and cartoon, have a LOT bad stuff, like Scooby-Doo ( urg...every episode is the same..) or old Tom & Jerry stuff which I can not watch today anymore.gives me a serious headache. or, for animes, some mainstream "kawaii" BS with happy magical girls or the Xth harem anime out there...

Last edited:

TeddiUrsa

Nope, Anime is just Japanese for cartoon,

Fosters is Anime. Flintstones is Anime.

And actually, Anime is French as well.

what we call "anime" are cartoons from japan.

it´s simple as that.

Flinstones isn´t an Anime because it is made in the US.

It is the same with manga/comics.

WheelerTheViper

Procrastinate Today!
I'm a anime freak, but I can honestly say that the old Disney cartoons (Think 1950's) > Anime. But, Anime > Almost every new american cartoon. They all look the same, flat totally flat and angular, unlikecartoons like Tom & Jerry (Which I also like) that actually have shape to them. Plus most newer cartoons are just pointless.

Disney's House of Mouse for the win!

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
it's very simple: the English-speakers have adapted the French/Japanese word for animation to apply to Japanese animation in general. However, to be more correct (though I don't exactly encourage it. I myself like to use the term "anime"), "American animation" and "Japanese animation" should be used. "Cartoon" could also work over "animation", but several anime fans don't like to use the term to describe Japanese animation, and I can see why. "Toon" has such a wacky, comical ring to it (especially when stuff like Roger Rabbit and Bonkers using the term to describe the silly characters usually found in American animation in general), and that's far from the case with most Japanese works.

[cough] But anyway, I like Japanese anime better.

TeddiUrsa

So do the French.

I'm just saying people who think "Anime" and "American Cartoons" are like RADICALLY DIFFERENT are just ignorant.

Okay, that´s a compromise =) Yamato-san said it the best I think.

Some japanese productions ARE radically different from american productions, but that because the media as so many different genres. I think, within the genres, both countries produce similar products which differ because of the different culture behind them.