• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Japanese or American Anime?

Japanese or American Anime?

• Japanese Anime

Votes: 77 79.4%
  • American Anime

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Both of them, I can't decide

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sailor Merury

Butterflys rock!
I can say this American Cartoons and Japanese cartoons are basically around the same level. In other words 90% is pretty much ugh and same goes for american cartoons. I can't say every Japanese anime is awesome. Same goes for american anime. =D You gotta love episodic shows like JLU or Teen Titans or even Avatar. Then there are those old favorites like the Flinstones, Disney cartoons, Tom and Jerry, ect ect. Oh and you gotta love Futurama.

I hate Avatar. They try and make it sound like it's Japanese when it's not.

Oh, by the way, TSC, you cheated. You didn't say what you preferred. ;D Which, I might add, I'm genuinely curious about considering that you most likely are the person who has the most knowledgeable and least ignorantly biased opinion about the two mediums than anyone else on this forum.

I like both American and Japanese animation.
With American animation, they ,over the years, were able to experiment with animation to new levels such as Roger Rabbit, The original Theif and the Cobbler(the animation blows the water out of anything. period.), and so forth. American animation also use fluidness to a high degree such as movement of hands, gestures, body langauge or even face expressions. Most American animation make iconic characters.

Now over in the Japanese animation, they mastered story telling(not all of em but notably a couple em), use enrich colors and designs(except faces), character development and etc. In case of a few would be like Cowboy Bebop, Monster,even any of the SJ titles(while not the most complexed stories, they do provide them and use them to a degree).

Both have it's up's and down's, which is why i love both. French animation I should check out, but I heard they more similar to Japanese animation than American.

Another reason I like American animation because of her(point to sig) :D

Rex Kamex

In Japan, Spongebob is considered an anime. Just saying.

And I also like Japanese and American cartoons equally. Like TSC said, both types have their ups and downs. They both have shows with lots of quality, but neither type of cartoon is perfect. There are some ways Japanese cartoons in general surpass American ones, IMO. But, there are ways where American cartoons do the same thing to Japanese cartoons.

About the Japanese anime, I like the "style" that a lot of them have- sweatdrops, face-faulting, "chibis", etc. I also think it's cool how animes have a variety of different theme songs, because when a show is longer the theme song should show some kind of update (of course, the same theme song with updates in itself is fine too). I also like the variety of ending themes many animes posess.

About American "anime", America has a variety of different types of cartoons. I also like the animation style for the older Disney cartoon movies. Most of the American cartoon shows have been for humor (that I've seen, not all cartoons are like this), but I don't mind. I like a variety of cartoons, like Spongebob, Avatar, Fairly OddParents, Doug, Garfield, Peanuts (old Peanuts, not the newer specials), Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Rugrats, Danny Phantom, Tiny Toon Adventures, and stuff like that. And I always liked watching Arthur, The Busy World of Richard Scarry, and Muppet Babies when I was younger. (I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist mentioning that.)

Besides Avatar, there aren't really that many Japanese-anime-inspired cartoons that I like.

Sailor Merury said:

Actually, the writers of Avatar tend to focus more on the plot than the fact that it's anime-inspired. You can tell this because there isn't any sweatdrops of face-faulting. Even though I wouldn't know hnow high I would rank the show to Japanese anime, I personally would recommend Avatar to anybody because it has a good storyline (and the American Nick is going to start airing the first episodes of it at 6:30 today in XD) and good characters. I don't recommend it because it's a cartoon inspired by Japanese anime- I recommend it because I think it's a good cartoon inspired by Japanese anime. And I think it's safe to say that not that many people think Avatar's from Japan.

To be fair, there hasn't been a new American cartoon that I've been interested in since Avatar. (I know I'm growing up, but still...) I haven't really been interested in any new anime either, but I'm not really trying to...

Leon Phelps

Don't Tread on Me
You're entitled to your opinion, but that statement is entirely flawed. They don't go overboard with sweatdrops or chibis like in Teen Titans. Also, all of the characters don't have gigantic eyes, not that all Japanese anime do. Just because Avatar is highly stylized does not make it some clone of Japanese anime style. There is a slight influence of Japanese or Chinese animation styles however.

As for me I prefer Japanese anime. I never really got into American anime before.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
I think you mean trying to make it seem Japanese. Since I never saw them trying to sound like one. So they try to use an art style that was started by Walt Disney? Using that logic I should hate any show that uses anothers art style.
Also I've heard animaitor's perfer to use this style instead of the hyper realistic art used in say JLU because it's a bit easier to draw.

Last edited:

Sailor Merury

Butterflys rock!
Okay. I've only watched up to the episode with the flying bird spirit thingy, so I used to like it. I still do a little.

Kira Yamato

Ghost of Razgriz
I find the term "American anime" to be somewhat of a contradiction, but that's kinda beside the point.

I favour japonés over americano. With very few exceptions (The Simpsons, Futurama, South Park, Family Guy, Ren and Stimpy, et cetera), I loathe and despise American animation; conversely, there are very few anime I hate.

Sailor Merury

Butterflys rock!
Aggreed, Kira Yamato.

Umi Mizuno

☠ one girl army
Japanese anime. I lost interest in American Cartoons ever since they remade Scooby Doo.

I find the term "American anime" to be somewhat of a contradiction, but that's kinda beside the point.

I favour japonés over americano. With very few exceptions (The Simpsons, Futurama, South Park, Family Guy, Ren and Stimpy, et cetera), I loathe and despise American animation; conversely, there are very few anime I hate.
You obviously haven't watched much anime then, since there is a ton of horrible anime out there.

Blue_Lightning8

Moon Prism Power!
Dub, it's so much more better, in my opinion because they actually have good theme songs and they're new songs in every season for both opening and ending themes. Also because i guess i like hearing the jap VA's more than the Sub because when they speak it sounds too formal and everything, it's like their voices are stiff.

Dub, it's so much more better, in my opinion because they actually have good theme songs and they're new songs in every season for both opening and ending themes. Also because i guess i like hearing the jap VA's more than the Sub because when they speak it sounds too formal and everything, it's like their voices are stiff.

Good theme songs? In dubs? Name good dub-made songs.

Also, what do you think subs are?

Valoc Darkmyre

Steel Type Hunter
Okay, time for my opinion.

I love Japanese animation, but only as long as it's unedited and most, if not all of the OST is kept. I don't like getting only half or a quarter of an anime's original content on network TV Saturday morning blocks, so admittedly I dabble in fansubs. I like fanservice in anime (girls with big breasts, for eaxmple) as long as it's not the whole focus of the show. Some of my favorite animes are One Piece! (fansubbed), Cowboy Bebop, and the New Cutey Honey OVAs (which have been unfairly labeled as hentai because of a few minor instances of softcore nudity).

As for American animation, there are a number of shows that I like, but I think the majority of them are stupid. Take Codename: Kids Next Door as an example of how they're stupid. Basically, from what I've seen of the show it says that kids are good and teenagers and adults are bad people. What really peeves me off about this show is when one of the kids turned 13 and they turn against him because he's now a teenager, and then he becomes a bad guy. Some message you're sending to your loyal viewers, eh Cartoon Network? >_>;

Also, I know I'm going to receive some flames for this, but I don't like Family Guy either. It relies way too much on cultural references for its jokes (like various TV shows) and many of the jokes tend to fall flat. It also feels like it's trying to be too much like the Simpsons.

Still, there are a few shows I like. For example, Spongebob Squarepants (the first three seasons, at least). Spongebob's show has plenty of cartoonery (which I like), but also plenty of jokes that only adults like myself will get (I'm 24, BTW). Other shows I like are South Park (especially when they satarized NAMBLA and non-smoking activists), Happy Tree Friends (excessive violence against cute, cuddly critters is sweet), and The Simpsons (the first eight seasons or so).

Basically, what saying is that I like both Japanese and American animation, as long as it's done right.

Last edited:

Kris Bambii

Volcano Trainer
"American anime" is an oxymoron, and there's no such thing. To me, anime means "Japanese animation", like Pokemon or Fullmetal Alchemist. American cartoons these days are retarded, with the exception of O'Grady(which I doubt you've heard of) and maybe Ed, Edd, & Eddy.

In the English language, the term anime is reserved for Japanese animation only and the term cartoons is for other animation. Only in Japan is anime used for any animation. I just wish everybody would use the word correctly.

~*Kris*~

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
"American anime" is an oxymoron, and there's no such thing. To me, anime means "Japanese animation", like Pokemon or Fullmetal Alchemist.
Anime is an abbreviation of the English word "animation". It's actually french but whatever. =D

XD375

Shane
Why do you call it American animé? Are people these days really becoming Japanese? I hate most Japanese cartoons. They're either really bad:
Naruto
Inu-Yasha
Digimon Frontier

Or really good:
Pokémon (I liked the dub better, especially the PUSA dub)
Digimon (except Frontier) (I liked the dub just as much as the original, just in a different sense)
Monster Rancher (Never seen the original)
MegaMan Battle Network (Liked the Japanese version better)
Yu-Gi-Oh! (The dub sounds like its better, although I never seen the original)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Battle City Duels (The dub sounds like its better, although I never seen the original)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Waking the Dragons (Once again, the dub sounds like its better, although I never seen the original)
Medabots (Never seen the original)

Then there's Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monsters, which is great, and American-made.

And a rarely, like I said, you'll find Japanese cartoons around the middle:
Beyblade
Battle B-Daman
Case Closed
Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championship
Spider Riders (Which is actually Canadian-Japanese based on a Canadian book)

I like American cartoons (notice how I call them cartoons) a lot better, although the cartoons on the list of good Japanese cartoons are among my favourite shows.

I was about to post, until I saw this:

As for American animation, there are a number of shows that I like, but I think the majority of them are stupid. Take Codename: Kids Next Door as an example of how they're stupid. Basically, from what I've seen of the show it says that kids are good and teenagers and adults are bad people. What really peeves me off about this show is when one of the kids turned 13 and they turn against him because he's now a teenager, and then he becomes a bad guy. Some message you're sending to your loyal viewers, eh Cartoon Network? >_>;

Also, I know I'm going to receive some flames for this, but I don't like Family Guy either. It relies way too much on cultural references for its jokes (like various TV shows) and many of the jokes tend to fall flat. It also feels like it's trying to be too much like the Simpsons.

Still, there are a few shows I like. For example, Spongebob Squarepants (the first three seasons, at least). Spongebob's show has plenty of cartoonery (which I like), but also plenty of jokes that only adults like myself will get (I'm 24, BTW). Other shows I like are South Park (especially when they satarized NAMBLA and non-smoking activists), Happy Tree Friends (excessive violence against cute, cuddly critters is sweet), and The Simpsons (the first eight seasons or so).

Basically, what saying is that I like both Japanese and American animation, as long as it's done right.
Thanks, you made me realize how stupid American cartoons can be. And about Family Guy, I think it is funny, but it goes too far with its sexist jokes. I guess I like cartoons from both places.

All the Pokémon themes were better than the originals. The Yu-Gi-Oh! themes were better. And although I didn't like Digimon Frontier, I thought it had something better too.

Now please don't get me started on Canadian animation... It sucks... That's as far as I'll go...

XD375

Shane
Why do you call it American animé? Are people these days really becoming Japanese? I hate most Japanese cartoons. They're either really bad:
Naruto
Inu-Yasha
Digimon Frontier

Or really good:
Pokémon (I liked the dub better, especially the PUSA dub)
Digimon (except Frontier) (I liked the dub just as much as the original, just in a different sense)
Monster Rancher (Never seen the original)
MegaMan Battle Network (Liked the Japanese version better)
Yu-Gi-Oh! (The dub sounds like its better, although I never seen the original)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Battle City Duels (The dub sounds like its better, although I never seen the original)
Yu-Gi-Oh! Waking the Dragons (Once again, the dub sounds like its better, although I never seen the original)
Medabots (Never seen the original)

Then there's Yu-Gi-Oh! Capsule Monsters, which is great, and American-made.

And a rarely, like I said, you'll find Japanese cartoons around the middle:
Beyblade
Battle B-Daman
Case Closed
Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championship
Spider Riders (Which is actually Canadian-Japanese based on a Canadian book)

I like American cartoons (notice how I call them cartoons) a lot better, although the cartoons on the list of good Japanese cartoons are among my favourite shows.

I was about to post, until I saw this:

Thanks, you made me realize how stupid American cartoons can be. And about Family Guy, I think it is funny, but it goes too far with its sexist jokes. I guess I like cartoons from both places.

All the Pokémon themes were better than the originals. The Yu-Gi-Oh! themes were better. And although I didn't like Digimon Frontier, I thought it had something better too.

Now please don't get me started on Canadian animation... It sucks... That's as far as I'll go...

TDD

Move Puppet inc.
Japanese anime since there is no such thing as American anime there is only Dubbed/massacred anime (like Naruto,one piece, etc) and American Animation that try to mimic a Japanese animation but get ruined for having Cartoonish stuff (Avatar [the only one that is decent], Megas XLR, Teen titans the show)