• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Japanese players on Random Matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
Come to think about it, I've been spending a lot of time in Random Matchup for a while now and I seem to be facing players mostly from around the world, yet 85% of these players are Japanese.

In B/W I did a few Random Matchup battles. I won a couple, but for the majority I just ended up losing. And it comes to no surprise that the majority of players who have beaten me are Japanese. They always seem to come at you with some strategy you haven't even come up with, and then you soon realise it; for example I got stalled when facing a Japanese player and I lost one of my most powerful Pokemon. Then you end up losing, giving the impression that they're laughing at you for being really bad compared to them.

When I did Wi-Fi battling in X/Y I started out pretty badly, and you guessed it, the majority of losses were against Japanese players. However as soon as I equipped my Xerneas with Geomancy and a Power Herb, as well as EVing some of my competitive Pokes, I soon managed to blaze through and win Wi-Fi battles, and I beat about 25 Japanese players through this.

However it still seems that Japanese players seem to break traditional battling regulations and that they just hack good movesets and natures onto their Pokemon, and then battling with them. What is your opinion on Japanese players plaguing Random Matchup and the way they just pummel you without any scratches?

Last edited:

twiztid420

shiny hoarder
are you familiar with IVs and EV training?

randomspot555

It is not at all hard to get your Pokemon to have good natures and movesets without hacking. In fact, it is pretty easy. If you don't put in the most basic, bare minimum effort in preparing to battle, don't expect to win against people who do.

Ketaru

Come to think about it, I've been spending a lot of time in Random Matchup for a while now and I seem to be facing players mostly from around the world, yet 85% of these players are Japanese.

In B/W I did a few Random Matchup battles. I won a couple, but for the majority I just ended up losing. And it comes to no surprise that the majority of players who have beaten me are Japanese. They always seem to come at you with some strategy you haven't even come up with, and then you soon realise it; for example I got stalled when facing a Japanese player and I lost one of my most powerful Pokemon. Then you end up losing, giving the impression that they're laughing at you for being really bad compared to them.

When I did Wi-Fi battling in X/Y I started out pretty badly, and you guessed it, the majority of losses were against Japanese players. However as soon as I equipped my Xerneas with Geomancy and a Power Herb, as well as EVing some of my competitive Pokes, I soon managed to blaze through and win Wi-Fi battles, and I beat about 25 Japanese players through this.

However it still seems that Japanese players seem to break traditional battling regulations and that they just hack good movesets and natures onto their Pokemon, and then battling with them. What is your opinion on Japanese players plaguing Random Matchup and the way they just pummel you without any scratches?

How do you know they're hacking?

It's pretty easy to tell who are dedicated competitive battlers vs casual battlers on Wifi. That much is usually obvious from the moment you preview their team. Competitive people often employ "tricky" Pokemon that aren't even necessarily strong so much as they rely on a strategy meant to undermine damage dealers. Casual people presume to be able to beat opponents simply by throwing out Pokemon that are offensively strong but defensively weak. Or Pokemon that are offensively strong but slow.

I'm not even all that competitive and I have about a 50/50 win/lose ratio. I don't breed for great IVs. But I do EV training (honestly, with the introduction of Super Training in X/Y, there's no excuse not to really). I do read Smogon to see what movesets play off the strengths of Pokemon I want to use, just to get ideas.

As for cheating, so far, I've yet to come across anybody using a moveset that didn't seem natural to me.

And it isn't the Japanese players I'm afraid of. It's the Koreans.

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
Your both being stereotypical right now accusing it being just Japanese or Koreans that hack, hacking is now possible in gen6 but I don't know to what extent, as far as I know movesets can't be hacked yet, and just cause you aren't familiar with their moveset and don't know every move a Pokémon gets doesn't mean they hacked it

King91

I'm all fired up!
Lol ridiculous to accuse an entire nation of players of hacking because they usually beat you. Maybe Pokemon is a little more hardcore out their since it's where it originated, so they might be more competitive. Yes, most of my Wi-Fi losses are to Japanese players too, but I haven't seen any illegal movesets and I don't think they'd even get online if they had one.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
This is a ridiculous thread and has no purpose, just because you are not familiar with something does not mean there is anything wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.