• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Japanese Pokemon Name Meanings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porygandrew

Credit goes towards Yamato-San and Kthleen I think there was one more person who helped out, but I can't remember who that was. Golden_Lati@s?

I scoured through the archives after the forums were messed up but couldn't find the original thread for this. Luckily I saved the names a long time ago so all that work wasn't lost.

Here's the scoop: These were taken from a japanese pokemon site and what they thought the names came from. Some match, some are a far stretch. I will add data, but more than likely I will not delete data. I don't understand the Japanese language so I cannot say either way whether or not these are the most accurate descriptions. I will also be leaving the original thread's translation of the japanese names, so don't be posting things like "OMG! It's 'Rukario' not 'Lucario'!" for example.

If any of the people who originally contributed to the first posting of this thread would like to add more information, please feel free to reply. The 4th generation's data needs to be updated with all of the new names and the ones to come once the games come out.

For the ??? question marks, There were actually japanese characters there that were shown in the first posting, but for some reason they're not showing up here. Anyone know why?

1st Generation
Fushigidane: ???*? Fushigi (Mystery), ? Tane (Seed). As Ed pointed out earlier, "da ne" can also be a rough English equivalent of "isn't it?", thus leading to a pun. I think in the Japanese version of "The Island of Giant Pokemon", Satoshi's Fushigidane even ended most of his sentences with that in the subtitles (I may have to watch it again, but that's what I remember).
Fushigisou: ???*? Fushigi (Mystery), ? Sou (Grass).
Fushigibana: ???*? Fushigi (Mystery), ? Hana (Flower).
Hitokage: ? Hi (Fire), Tokage (Lizard).
Lizard: Based off the English word "lizard".
Lizardon: Based off both the English words "lizard" and "don", the head of a crime organization (assuming Palette is correct on this, I don't think the name was intended to have such a negative meaning. I think they were focusing on the leading aspect of a "don").
Zenigame: ?*? Zenigame. Translates to "coin turtle", and it's an actual species of turtle.
Kameil: ? Kame (Turtle), also based off the English word "tail".
Kamex: ? Kame (Turtle), also based off the English word "max", short for maximum.
Caterpie: Based off the English word "caterpillar". Palette also says ??????????????, which means "Pii (word used to express something cute)". I don't know if it's Japanese slang, but from what I've seen, things starting with the letter "p" do seem to give off a cute vibe. Since I never heard such slang myself, I'll come to the conclusion that it's based off "pea", the legum-turned-cute-English-slang. Surely, we're all familiar with terms like "sweet pea" and "sugar pea" and whatnot.
Transel: Based off the English words "trance", "transform", and "cell".
Butterfree: Based off the English words "butterfly" and "free".
Beedle: Based off the English words "beetle" and "needle".... according to Palette, anyway. I personally think, considering it's a bee larva, the base of "bee" and "needle" would make more sense.
Cocoon: Based off the English word "cocoon".
Spear: Based off the English word "spear". Palette also says it's based off of "piasu" (pierce). It also says it's based off of "supia" and "supiaa".... while one of these is the Japanese pronunciation of the weapon in question, the other, "supiaa", Palette claims means "to jab, skewer, etc." Maybe Japan has a different pronunciation for "spear", the weapon, and "spear", the term we use for skewering something. I don't know.
Poppo: ???? Hatopoppo.... or maybe it's read "Kupoppo" or something..... the kanji at the beginning means "pigeon, dove", but I don't know what the "poppo" means. Maybe this is a specific species of pigeon or something, or perhaps a term for street pigeons. I'm just guessing on this one.
Pigeon: Based off the English word "pigeon".
Pigeot: Based off the English words "pigeon" and "jet".
Koratta: ? Ko (Small), ?*? Ko (Child), and the English word "rat".
Ratta: Based off the English word "rat".
Onisuzume: ? Oni (a type of ogre or demon in Japanese folklore), Suzume (Sparrow).
Onidrill: ? Oni (a type of ogre or demon in Japanese folklore), and the English word "drill".
Arbo: Based off of "boa", a type of snake. It's worth noting that, similar to Ekans in English, Arbo's name can kinda spell "boa" when the name's reversed. This is ??? (boaa). If you ignore the extension line and just place ? (bo) at the end, you get ??? (Aabo).
Arbok: Based off the reversed English spelling of the word "cobra".
Pikachu: Based off of "chuu", the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a mouse makes. Palette says the "pika" refers to electricity, but I'm sure several of us have heard by now that "pikapika" is a Japanese onomatopoeia for glittering or sparkling.
Raichu: ? Rai (Thunder), and "chuu", the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a mouse makes.
Sand: Based off the English word "sand".
Sandpan: Based off the English word "sand" and "pangolin", a mammal that's kinda like an armadillo with spikey scales and the ability to climb trees.
Nidoran?: Based off the English word "needle", and ? Ran (Egg).
Nidorina: Based off the English word "needle" and the Spanish word "bambina", which is used to describe little girls. Also supposedly based off of "drill", which the Japanese would pronounce as "doriru" (both it and Nidorina have the "dori" part in them).
Nidoqueen: Based off the English words "needle" and "queen".
Nidoran?: Based off the English word "needle", and ? Ran (Egg).
Nidorino: Based off the English word "needle" and the Spanish word "bambino", which is used to describe little boys. Also supposedly based off of "drill", which the Japanese would pronounce "doriru" (both it and Nidorino have the "dori" part in them).
Nidoking: Based off the English words "needle" and "king".
Pippi: Palette says "pippi" is a type of "fairy, sprite, elf, pixy, etc." Does anyone have any further info on this?
Pixy: Based off the English word "pixy".
Rokon: Roku (Six), and "kon", the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a fox makes.
Kyukon: Kyuu (Nine), and "kon", the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a fox makes.
Purin: "Purinpurin shiteiru", which, after doing some research, I can come to the assumption means "to be smooth" (though it's also worth mentioning that "purin" means "pudding"). Palette also said it's based off the English word "pretty", which would be spelt as "puritii".
Pukurin: ??? Fukureru (to expand), "Purinpurin shiteiru" (which I'm assuming means "to be smooth"), and the English word "pretty".
Zubat: Based off the English word "bat", and "zuba" is supposedly some kind of immitative sound. Palette also mentions something about a hit superhero from 1976 called "The Talented Zubat". Does anyone know about this? "zubatto" which is the sound of a whip snapping
Golbat: Based off the English words "gold" and "bat". Palette also mentions something about a hit superhero from 1966 called "The Golden Bat". Does anyone know about this?
Nazonokusa: ? Nazo (Mystery), ? Kusa (Grass).
Kusaihana: ?*? Kusai (Stinky), ? Hana (Flower).
Ruffresia: Based off of "raflessia", the world's biggest flower, a parasitic plant which gives off a scent similar to rotting meat.
Paras: Based off the English word "parasite".
Parasect: Based off the English words "parasite" and "insect".
Kongpang: Based off the English term "compound eyes", which would be pronounced in Japanese like "konpaundoai". That contains the syllables necessary to spell out "Konpan".
Morphon: Based off of "morufochou", a species of butterfly, and the English word "phone".
Digda: Based off the English word "dig".
Dugtrio: Based off the English words "dug" and "trio". Palette seems to have made an error here, since it says "dig" instead of "dug".
Nyarth: Based off of "nyaa", the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a cat makes.
Persian: Based off of the "Persian", a breed of cat.
Koduck: ? Ko (Small), ?*? (Child), and the English word "duck".
Golduck: Based off the English words "gold" and "duck".
Mankey: Based off the English words "monkey" and "man".
Okorizaru: ?? Okoru (to be angry), ? Saru (monkey)
Gardie: Based off the English word "guard".
Windie: Based off the English word "wind".
Nyoromo: ? Mo (seaweed, duckweed, algae, etc.), and "nyoronyoro", the Japanese sound effect for slithering.
Nyorozo: "Nyoronyoro", the Japanese sound effect for slithering.
Nyorobon: "Nyoronyoro", the Japanese sound effect for slithering, and something called a "bonbon", which Palette says is some kind of assistance.
Casey: Based off of Edgar Cayce, a self-proclaimed psychic. If you wish to know more, his info should be easy to look up.
Yungerer: Based off of Uri Geller, a self-proclaimed psychic. If you wish to know more, his info should be easy to look up.
Foodin: Based off of Harry Houdini, a magician. If you wish to know more, his info should be easy to look up.
Wanriky: ?? Wanryoku (Physical strength). The ? also has "riki" as one of its readings.
Goriky: ?? Gouriki (Herculean strength). Also could be based off of ?? Kyouryoku (Powerful), where both kanji also have "gou" and "riki" for their readings respectively. Palette also mentions ??, which I don't know how to read as a whole, but the first kanji could be read as "gou" and can mean "excelling", and I'm sure you're all familiar with the second kanji by now. There's also some novelist named, and I don't know how to romanize this, "Gourikii". I'm guessing it may be German or something, but I couldn't find anything when I searched stuff like "Gohricky" or whatever. Anyone familiar with this novelist?
Kairiky: ?? Kairiki (Superhuman strength).
Madatsubomi: Mada (Yet, still, etc.), Tsubomi (Flower bud).
Utsudon: Utsubogazura, which is a species of insect-eating plant. I'm guessing it's the Japanese name for the pitcher plant.
Utsubot: Utsubogazura, which is a species of insect-eating plant. I'm guessing it's the Japanese name for the pitcher plant. The English word "pod", like a shell or a cocoon, though I think "pot" would make more sense given it's shape (again, I'm going by what Palette has down). "Robot", which I doubt is correct, and ??** Bottou (to immerse oneself).
Menokurage: ? Me (Eye), Kurage (Jellyfish), and Menou (Agate, a type of gem).
Dokukurage: ? Doku (Poison), Kurage (Jellyfish).
Ishitubute: ??? The first kanji is Ishi (Rock) and the last kanji is Tsubute (Throwing stones). I don't know where that middle kanji fits in pronunciation of the whole phrase, but its meaning is "to fly". Palette goes on to mention throwing of small pebbles. I don't know, maybe this is some kind of technique name or a mechanism or something. There must've been some reason for Palette to define it. Further info would be appreciated. This term is used geologically. It literally means something like "hetereogeneous materials", with "rock" implied as it is a geological term. This very likely refers to the nature of a geode, a hollow, usually spheroidal rock with crystals (made of a different substance from the surrounding rock) lining the inside wall. Describes Geodude very well.
Golone: "Gorogoro", the Japanese sound effect for rolling or tumbling.
Golonya: "Gorogoro", the Japanese sound effect for rolling or tumbling.
Ponyta: Based off the English word "pony".
Gallop: Based off the English word "gallop". Palette also mentions ?????? Tenpo no Hitotsu (Single tempo), which is music terminology. Don't know what the hell that has to do with Gallop.
Yadon: Yadokari (Hermit crab), ?? Yadoru (To dwell, lodge, etc.), ?? Chidon (Dullness, stupidity).
Yadoran: Yadokari (Hermit crab), ?? Yadoru (To dwell, lodge, etc.), ? Ran (Egg).
Coil: Based off the English word "coil", which can be involved in electromagnetism.
Rarecoil: Based off the English words "rare" and "coil", which can be involved in electromagnetism.
Kamonegi: Based off an old saying about a wild duck (Kamo) coming to you while carrying a sprig of green onion (Negi).
Dodo: Based off of "dodo", the extinct bird.
Dodrio: Based off of "dodo", the extinct bird, and the English word "trio".
Pawou: Palette thinks it's based off of "powwow", councils that were held by Native Americans. Don't know how it relates to the Pokemon, but that's all Pokeshow had.
Jugon: "Jugon" is Japanese for "dugong". With both words sounding so similar, I can assume that it was based off of the English word (I'm pretty sure dugongs only live in the waters of the Western world, so it'd be doubtful the Japanese would have a native name for it).
Betbeter: "Betobeto suru" means "to be sticky".
Betbeton: "Betobeto suru" means "to be sticky".
Shellder: Based off the English words "shell" and "shelter".
Parshen: Based off the English words "pearl" and "shell".
Ghos: Based off the English words "ghost" and "gas".
Ghost: Based off the English word "ghost". Palette says, like Ghos, it's also based off of "gas", though I doubt that's the case. You can't access Ghost's entry through the link I gave you, so if you want to see it for yourself, go here.
Gangar: Based off of "doppelganger".
Iwark: ? Iwa (Rock/Stone), and the English word "snake".
Sleepe: Based off the English word "sleep".
Sleeper: Based off the English word "sleeper".
Crab: Based off the English word "crab".
Kingler: Based off of the English word "king", and the "king crab", a species of crab. Considering Kingler keeps its name in the English version, it's already been pointed out several times in the English-speaking community that the last part of its name is based off of another species of crab, the "fiddler crab", which Kingler strongly resembles. Oddly enough, though, Palette neglected to list such info.
Biriridama: ? Tama (Ball), and "biriri", the Japanese sound effect for going numb.
Marumine: ? "Maru" by itself means "circle". For some reason, Palette goes on to bring up ???? Manmarui (Perfectly circular). Don't understand that one.... it's also based off the English word "mine".
Tamatama: ? Tama (Ball, sphere), ?? Tamatama (Casually, unexpectedly, accidentally, by chance).
Nassy: "Yashi" is Japanese for "palmtree". Also based off the English word "nuts".
Karakara: "Karakara", the Japanese sound effect for bones clattering.
Garagara: The word "gara", which I couldn't find a meaning for except "pattern". I think Palette's trying to define it ????*??????????, either that, or it's some kind of famous haiku which uses "gara" as some meaningless gibberish. From what I could make, the description/haiku goes "the chicken (gara) etc., do bone-reading (gara)".
Sawamular: ???* Sawamura Tadashi (Japanese naming order). He was the first kick-boxer around the world and was of Japanese nationality.
Ebiwalar: ????? Ebihara Hiroyuki (Japanese naming order). A pro-boxer of Japanese nationality whom became featherweight division champion of the world in 1963.
Beroringa: ? Bero (Tongue), and "perori", the Japanese sound effect for a type of eating.
Dogars: ? Doku (Poison), and the English word "gas".
Matadogas: ? Doku (Poison), Mata (Yet, still, etc.), and the English words "mustard gas" and "gas".
Sihorn: Sai (Rhinoceros), and the English word "horn".
Sidon: Sai (Rhinoceros), and the English word "don" (see Lizardon).
Lucky: Based off the English word "lucky".
Monjara: "Mojamoja shiteiru" (to be tousled, unkempt, have shaggy hair, etc.)
Garura: Based off of "kangaroo".
Tattu: ? Tatsu (Dragon sign of the Chinese zodiac), Tatsu (Dragon), and "Tatsu no Otoshigo" (Seahorse. In Japanese, "tatsu no otoshigo" literally means "falling child of a dragon". If anyone finds it strange, let me remind everyone that it's no different than the English language calling it a horse).
Seadora: Based off the English words "sea", "dragon", and the species of fish, "sea dragon".
Tosakinto: ??? Tosakin (A species of goldfish), ??* Tosaka (Chicken's comb).
Azumao: ?? Azumakin (A species of goldfish). Palette doesn't mention it, but I'm pretty sure it's also based off the word ? Ou (King).
Hitodeman: Hitode (Starfish), and the English word "man".
Starmie: Based off the English words "starfish", "star", and "me".
Barrierd: Based off the English words "barrier" and "yard" (not the measurement).
Strike: Based off the English word "strike".
Rougela: Based off the English word "rouge".
Eleboo: Based off the English word "elec".
Boober: Based off the English word "boost". Palette also says a ???? "boober" is some kind of fool, but I think they meant to refer to a ??? "boob"... before anyone comments, let me say now to act mature about this, for god's sake.
Kailios: ?? Kairiki (Superhuman strength), and.... Icurus (sounded out in Japanese as "Ikarosu").... if Kailios were a winged insect, it would make some sense, but since it's not, I'd say it's just Palette doing some more rought guessing again.
Kentauros: Based off of "kentauros", another name for the centaurs of Greek mythology.
Koiking: ? Koi (Carp, though the Japanese word is commonly used in English to refer to those colorful carp in exotic ponds), and the English word "king".
Gyarados: The reverse-spelling of "dragoon"... some sense could be made out of that. In Japanese, it'd be ????? "doraguun", and if you remove the ? line extension and the ? "n", then reverse it, it'd be ??? "gurado". Palette also says it's based off the reverse-spelling of "dragon". Again, ???? "doragon", remove the ? "n", reverse, and you have ??? "gorado". The last thing Palette mentions is "dosu", the Japanese sound effect for acting violently.
Laplace: Based off of Pierre Simon Laplace, a French mathemetician who had become, for a brief time, Napoleon's interior minister. Having a name based off a historical genius would explain why Laplace is quite often portrayed as having telekenetic abilities (why it doesn't naturally learn such techniques in the games, I'll never know). Also based on the English word "lap". Considering that's where people tend to place things when they sit down, it would relate to Laplace being a ferry, wouldn't you agree?
Metamon: Based off the English word "metamorphose". I think it's also based off "monster", though Palette doesn't mention it.
Eievui: Based off the initials of the word "evolution".
Showers: Based off the English word "shower".
Thunders: Based off the English word "thunder".
Booster: Based off the English word "boost".
Porygon: Based off of "polygon", the basis of 3D imaging.
Omnite: ???*? Oumukai (Some species of nautilus, any info on the English name would be helpful), and "ammonite", an extinct marine creature which shares similarities to the nautilus.
Omstar: ???*? Oumukai (Some species of nautilus, any info on the specie's English name would be helpful), and the English words "star" and "oyster".
Kabuto: ? Kabuto (Helmet), Kabuto gani (I think it's the Japanese name for horseshoe crab).
Kabutops: ? Kabuto (Helmet), Kabuto ebi (translates to "helmet shrimp". I found a Japanese Wikipedia article. I guessing this would be the English equivalent, meaning the English name for a kabuto ebi is a "shield shrimp"), and "triops" (another name for the shield shrimp).
Ptera: Based off of "pteranodon".
Kabigon: Palette has some kind of message... ???????????????*??????????????????? Trying my best to translate, I think it says "An exploitee. Nishino Kouji-san's vain reputation (because mold grows and is eaten)". It's worth noting that ?? "kabi" is in that message, and it translates to "mold".
Freezer: Based off the English word "freezer" (as in something that freezes, not the kitchen appliance).
Thunder: Based off the English word "thunder".
Fire: Based off the English word "fire".
Miniryu: ? Ryuu (Dragon), and the English word "mini".
Hakuryu: ?? Hakuryuu (White dragon). Palette describes it as a messenger of God (that, or a white dragon that was referenced by a messenger of God). Anyone know any further cultural background on this? At least what region the tale derives from?
Kairyu: ? Kai (Sea), ? Kai (Apparition), ? Ryuu (Dragon), ?? Kairyuu (Ocean current).
Mewtwo: Based off the English words "mutant" and the number "two" (2). Also based off of "mew", which is onomatopoeia for the sound a cat makes (Palette didn't specifically refer to it being an English onomatopoeia, so I think Japan may also use "myuu" as an alternative to "nyaa". Can anyone confirm this?).
Mew: Based off the English word "mutant". Also based off of "mew", which is onomatopoeia for the sound a cat makes (Palette didn't specifically refer to it being an English onomatopoeia, so I think Japan may also use "myuu" as an alternative to "nyaa". Can anyone confirm this?).

2nd Generation
Chicorita: Based off the "chicory", a type of herb.
Bayleaf: Based off the "bay leaf", an aromatic leaf of the bay tree that's commonly used in cooking when dried.
Meganium: Based off the English word "mega", and "geranium", a type of flower.
Hinoarashi: ? Hi (Fire), ? Arashi (Storm). The "no" is a partical, basically saying that the storm is of a firey nature. Of course, in English, that "no" wouldn't be translated and we'd just have "fire storm" (ex. "Hagane no Renkinjutsushi", Steel Alchemist, or Fullmetal Alchemist).
Magmarashi: ? Arashi (Storm), and the English word "magma".
Bakphoon: ?? Bakufuu (Blast), and English word "typhoon". Years ago, I was personally under the impression that "Bakufuun" somehow related to the "baku", a dream-eating creature of Japanese folklore that's commonly associated with the existing new world animal, the tapir, in recent times. The only thing I had to relate them was that a tapir was a four-legged mammal, and Bakphoon's obviously mammalian and runs on four-legs at times (it shows that it tends to do that quite a few times in the Raikou special). But looking at it nowadays, it seems kinda silly to try relating them. ^^'
Waninoko: Wani (Crocodile, Alligator), ?*? Ko (Child). As with Hinoarashi, the "no" is a particle that could mean that this child is of the crocodilian race.
Alligates: Based off the English word "alligator".
Ordile: Based off of "eau" (French word for "water"), and the English word "crocodile".
Otachi: ? O (Tail), ?? Tatsu (Stand), Itachi (Weasel, Skunk, Mink, etc.).
Ootachi: ??? Ookii (Large), ? O (Tail), ?? Tatsu (Stand), Itachi (Weasel, Skunk, Mink, etc.).
Hoho: "Houhou", Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound an owl makes.
Yorunozuku: ? Yoru (Night), Mimizuku (horned owl).
Rediba: ?????? Redibaado (Ladybird), which I think is some species of ladybug. That, or a common misnaming of the English name for the spotted beetle.
Redian: ?????? Redibaado (Ladybird), which I think is some species of ladybug. That, or a common misnaming of the English name for the spotted beetle. Also based off of the word ?? "An". All Palette says about "an" is ???? "That lineage/system/geological information". Any info on this would be appreciated.
Itomaru: ? Ito (String, Thread, etc.), ?? Marui (Round). Palette also says something about "Itomarugawaru", which it says is ???????? "A little thing of a concave roof tile". May be a saying or something, but any further info would be nice.
Ariados: "Ariadone" is the Japanese way of saying "Ariadne", a figure of Greek mythology which some scholars believe was a goddess of weaving, much like Arachne.
Crobat: ? Kuro (Black), and the English word "bat". Palette also mentions something about something called "The Black Bat", some kind of villian from a hit 1965 drama who was a white skeleton wearing a black mant. Does anyone know about this? Palette also says it's based off the English words "acrobat" and "cross", as well as "kurou", which is Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a crow makes.
Choncie: Chouchin (Paper lantern).
Lantern: Based off the English word "lantern".
Pichu: Based off of "chuu", the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a mouse makes. Palette says the "pika" refers to electricity, but I'm sure several of us have heard by now that "pikapika" is a Japanese onomatopoeia for glittering or sparkling.
Py: Based off the English word "baby". Also ??????????????, which means "Pii (word used to express something cute)". I don't know if it's Japanese slang, but from what I've seen, things starting with the letter "p" do seem to give off a cute vibe. Since I never heard such slang myself, I'll come to the conclusion that it's based off "pea", the legum-turned-cute-English-slang. Surely, we're all familiar with terms like "sweet pea" and "sugar pea" and whatnot.
Pupurin: "Purinpurin shiteiru", which, after doing some research, I can come to the assumption means "to be smooth" (though it's also worth mentioning that "purin" means "pudding"). Palette also said it's based off the English word "pretty", which would be spelt as "puritii".
Togepy: ? Toge (Thorn, Spike, etc.). Also ??????????????, which means "Pii (word used to express something cute)". I don't know if it's Japanese slang, but from what I've seen, things starting with the letter "p" do seem to give off a cute vibe. Since I never heard such slang myself, I'll come to the conclusion that it's based off "pea", the legum-turned-cute-English-slang. Surely, we're all familiar with terms like "sweet pea" and "sugar pea" and whatnot.
Togechick: ? Toge (Thorn, Spike, etc.), Chikuchiku suru (To be experiencing a type of prickling pain), and the English word "chick".
Naty: Based off of "Native American".
Natio: ? Ou (King). Also based off of "Native American".
Merriep: Based off of "Mary", from "Mary Had a Little Lamb". Also the English words "sheep" and "sleep".
Mokoko: ? Ko (Small), ?*? Ko (Child), and "mokomoko shiteiru", which, after doing some research, I can assume means "to be fluffy".
Denryu: ?? Denryuu (Electric current), ?? Denki (Electricity), ? Ryuu (Dragon).
Kireihana: Kirei (Pretty), ? Hana (Flower).
Maril: ? Mari (Ball), and the English word "marine".
Marilli: ? Mari (Ball), ?*? Ruri (Lapis lazuli), and the English word "marine".
Usokkie: ??? Usotsuki (Liar). Usotsuki's also the Japanese name for some species of tree.
Nyorotono: ?? Tonosama (Feudal lord). Palette doesn't mention it, but I recall from a ton of sites with Digimon info that "tonosamakaeru" means "bullfrog". Also based off of "nyoronyoro", the Japanese sound effect for slithering.
Hanecco: ? Ha (Leaf), ?*??? Nekko (Root, stub, stump, etc.), ??*? Haneru (To jump), ? Ko (Small), ?*? Ko (Child).
Popocco: Tanpopo (Dandelion), ? Ko (Small), ?*? Ko (Child).
Watacco: ??????? Tanpopo no watake (Dandelion's fluff), ? Ko (Small), ?*? Ko (Child).
Eipam: Based off the English word "ape". Considering the short 'a' sound that's apparent through the kana spelling, I'm not certain if it's also based off the word "palm" as well (it should have a longer 'a'. Palette doesn't mention it being based off "palm", so you know). Though the word "palm" certainly would make some sense for this Pokemon.
Himanuts: ? Hima (Leisure), Himawari (Sunflower), and the English word "nuts".
Kimawari: Himawari (Sunflower), ? Ki (Rejoice).
Yanyanma: Yanma (A large dragonfly), Ginyanma (A species of dragonfly. I couldn't find an English equivalent, but I did find its scientific name, Anax guttatus).
Upah: Uupaaruupaa (Axolotl, a type of salamander).
Nuoh: ? Numa (Swamp), ? Ou (King), Nuou (A type of shout), and Numenume (Slimey).
Eifie: Based off of ???? Eievui's name written in Roman letters. As we know, the "ii" can be spelt as "ee", or "eie" in this case. In English, we may still pronounce it "ii", but most other languages (including Japanese) would pronounce it as "eh" or "ay" or however you wanna spell it (English is just screwed up that way). As for the last part of Eievui's name, this is ?? "bui", and this is ?? "fi". Notice a similarity?
Blacky: Based off the English word "black".
Yamikarasu: ? Yami (Dark), Karasu (Crow).
Yadoking: Yadokari (Hermit crab), ?? Yadoru (To dwell, lodge, etc.), and the English word "king".
Muma: ??*? Muma (Dream demon. I guess there might be some kind of folk tale behind this or something).
Unknown: Based off the English word "unknown".
Sonans: Sounan desu ("That is so"). I think I recall hearing that this was a phrase commonly used by a late comedian, or comedic manga artist, or something. This guy had a tendency to place his hand on his head, much like Sounansu does.
Kirinriki: ?*?? Kirin (Giraffe), ???* Nriki (Reverse-spelling of "kirin" in Japanese katakana), ?? Nenriki (Will power. Worth nothing that this is a technique used by Pokemon, called "Confusion" in the English version).
Kunugidama: Kunugi (Sawtooth oak tree, scientific name is "Quercus acutissima"), ? Tama (Ball).
Foretos: Alteration of the English word "forest". ????? "foresuto" (forest), ????? "Foretosu".
Nokocchi: An alteration of "tsuchinoko". ???? "tsuchinoko", ???? "Nokotchi". As for what exactly a "tsuchinoko" is, it appears to be some kind of snake. Anyone have further info on this?
Gliger: Based off the English word "glider".
Bulu: Based off of "bulldog".
Granbulu: Based off the English words "grand", "rumble", and "bulldog". I think the English word "grumble" would make sense too, even though Palette doesn't mention it.
Harysen: ??? Harisenmoto (I think it's read that way, but I'm not sure. The kanji translate to "needle", "thousand", and "origin" respectively. I can't find a word for these kanji combined, so I'm guessing it's the name of some kind of skill or art), Harisenbon (Balloonfish), Harisen (Some type of tool). "One thousand needles" is a technique commonly used by the sabotender (a weird little cactus man) enemy in Final Fantasy games and probably has a legendary/mythical basis. On a funny note, in the US version of Final Fantasy 6 (FF3 for SNES) this ability was renamed "Blowfish".
Also, a harisen is a very typical folding Japanse hand fan, usually made of paper, but sometimes iron if I remember correctly. http://www.ringing-shallows.org/side-a/pic/harisen.jpg What that might have to do with a blowfish, I don't know. All I could think of is that a harisen fan expands greatly in size when opened, and pufferfish expand greatly in size when they feel the need ... that's not the greatest connection. Are there any legends involving a blowfish with a folding fan?
Hassam: Hasami (Scissors), ?? Hasamu (To hold between).
Tsubotsubo: ? Tsubo (Jar, pot), Tsubo (Unlike the "tsubo" that means a jar or pot, Palette has this one written in katakana rather than kanji. I'd guess it may be a species of animal, but I don't know which one it would be), Utsubo (Moray eel), Fujitsubo (Barnacles, but I'm not certain on this one).
Heracros: Based off the "Heracles beetle", and "Heracles", a figure from Greek mythology (commonly known as "Hercules" to English-speakers). Also based off the English word "cross".
Nyula: Based off of "nyaa", the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a cat makes. Also based off the English word "new" (I guess this explains why Nyaasu tends to show tensions with Nyula in the anime).
Himeguma: ? Hime (Princess), ??? Himeta (To have hidden), ? Kuma (Bear). Palette also says ?????????????? "Hime (a word to express something small)".
Ringuma: ? Kuma (Bear), and the English word "ring". Palette says something about the ring relating to ??*???????? "A bear of the ring around the crescent moon" (that's my best translation, anyway).
Magmag: Based off the English words "magma" and "slug". Note that the end of the Japanese writing of the Pokemon's name ????? (Magumaggu) doesn't match with the beginning part of the name, even though the official Roman spelling says both parts are the same. Rather, the end more closely resembles the end of the Japanese kana for the English slug ???? (suraggu). I personally think "Magmug" would've been a more suitable spelling, but then again, several of these official spellings seem off in my personal opinion.
Magcargot: Based off of the English word "magma" and the French snail appetizer, "escargot". Also "karugo", which is some kind of shellfish or something.
Urimoo: Uribou (Young wild boar).
Inomoo: Inoshishi (Wild boar).
Sunnygo: Sango (Coral), the English word "sunny", and the Spanish word "amigo".
Teppouo: ??*? Teppou (Gun), Uo (Fish), Teppouuo (Archerfish).
Okutank: Based off the English words "octane number", "octopus", and "tank".
Delibird: Based off the English words "delivery" and "bird".
Mantain: Based off the ray specie, "manta".
Airmd: Based off the English words "air" and "armed".
Delvil: Based off the English word "devil".
Hellgar: Based off the English word "hell". Palette doesn't mention it, but I think on Bulbagarden somewhere, Blackjack Gabianni mentioned how the name could also be associated with "Garm", a demonic dog figure of Norse mythology.
Kingdra: Based off the English words "king" and "dragon".
Gomazou: ?? Goma (Sesame seeds, which Palette points out are small like Gomazou), ? Zou (Elephant).
Donfan: ? Don (Dull, slow, stupid, etc.), and based off the English words "don" (see Lizardon) and "elephant".
Porygon2: Based off of "polygon", the basis of 3D imaging, as well as the number "2".
Odoshishi: Shishiodoshi (It's one of those Japanese garden decorations. You know, the hollow stick of bamboo that fills with water and tilts to spill it out every few seconds), ??? Shika odori (Deer-dancing), ?? Odosu (To threaten), ?? Odoru (To dance), Shishi (Deer).
Doble: Based off the English word "dabble", as well as "beagle" and "doberman", breeds of dog.
Balkie: Based off of "Valkyrie" from Norse mythology, as well as the English word "bulky".
Kapoerer: Based off of "kapoera", a Brazilian fighting-style that also works as a dance-style.
Muchul: ??* Muchuu (To daze or trance), and "chuu", the Japanese sound effect for kissing.
Elekid: Based off the English words "elec" and "kid".
Buby: Based off the English words "boost" and "baby".
Miltank: Based off the English words "milk" and "tank".
Happinas: Based off the English words "happiness" and "nurse".
Raikou: ?? Raikou (Thunder Prince, based off some Chinese mythology about a thunder god), ? Rai (Thunder), ?? Koutei (Emperor), ?? Raikou (Lightning).
Entei: ????? Enteikounouji (I think that's how you pronounce it. Basically translates to "Blazing Ruler God" and is based off some Chinese mythology about a third emperor or something), ? En (Flame), ?? Teiou (Emperor).
Suikun: ?? Suikun (Water Boy, based off some Chinese mythology), ? Sui (Water), ?? Kunshu (Ruler). Shui-guan is the Ruler of Water.
Yogiras: ?? Youchuu (Larva), Gira (A type of fish scale), Girasu (The type of monster that Gojira/Godzilla is), and "Ankylus", which I think is another way of saying "Ankylosaurus" (Palette does describe it as a dinosaur, leading me to that assumption).
Sanagiras: Sanagi (Pupa), Gira (A type of fish scale), Girasu (The type of monster that Gojira/Godzilla is), and "Ankylus", which I think is another way of saying "Ankylosaurus" (Palette does describe it as a dinosaur, leading me to that assumption).
Bangiras: ?? Yaban (Savage), ?? (I didn't find a single word for these combined kanji, but the first one is "ban", meaning "night", and the last one is "life". Dusk of a lifespan would reference to the slow growth rate of this particular evolution line), Gira (A type of fish scale), Girasu (The type of monster that Gojira/Godzilla is), and "Ankylus", which I think is another way of saying "Ankylosaurus" (Palette does describe it as a dinosaur, leading me to that assumption).
Lugia: Reverse of the word ?? "Giru" (gill, as in fish gills), resulting in ?? "Rugi". Also "gia", the first initials to the English word "giant". Palette also mentions "metarugia" (metal gear), but I don't know what the hell that would have to do with Lugia.
Houou: ?? Houou (Phoenix).
Cerebi: Palette says ????????????? "Serebu (A blessing by God)". The closest I could find was "celeb", which would be short for the English word "celebrity". My best guess is that "celebrity" was derived from some Latin or Greek word meaning a blessing, considering how celebrities are held with such high-regards in society. It's either that, or it's not "celeb", but instead some other word like "sereb", "selev", "cerev", etc. that I have no clue about because it's from some foreign language. Anyway, it's also based off the word "serenade".1.plant guardian 2.tree guardian 3. Forest guardian

Last edited:

Porygandrew

3rd Generation
Kimori: ?? Komori (Wooden guard), ? Ki (Tree), ? Mori (Forest), Imori (Newt).
Juptile: ? Ju (Wood), and the dinosaur "raptor". The official Roman spelling really seems off, considering the Japanese pronunciation is clearly "Juputoru", like "raputoru" (raptor), not "reputairu" (reptile). Again, I'll say that I personally think "Juptor" would've been much more fitting.
Jukain: ?? Jukai (Sea of trees, dense woodland, etc.).
Achamo: ???? Akachan (Baby), ?? Atsui (Hot; sometimes, when people get scalded, they'll exclaim "acha!" as an alternate saying to "atsui"), ?? Shamo (Game fowl).
Wakasyamo: ?? Wakai (Young), ?? Shamo (Game fowl).
Bursyamo: ? Baba (Old woman, hag; Bursyamo does have white hair and is fully-evolved, plus I always personally felt he gave the impression of an elder martial arts master, so this could fit somewhat), ?? Shamo (Game fowl), and the English word "burn".
Mizugorou: ? Mizu (Water), Mutsugorou (Pond-skipper, a species of mudskipper).
Numacraw: ? Numa (Swamp, bog, pond, lake, etc.), ? Kuro (Black), Mutsugorou (Pond-skipper, a species of mudskipper; note that the Japanese pronunciation, "Numakurou" ends with a "rou" like "mutsugorou"), and the English word "claw".
Laglarge: Based off the English words "lagoon", "large", and "rage".
Pochiena: Pochi (A representative name for dogs. I think it's somehow based off of "poochy", a common dog name in English), ?? (another word for small), the English word "pouch", and the wild dog species "hyena".
Graena: Based off the English word "grand", and the wild dog species "hyena".
Jiguzaguma: Araiguma (Mainly refers to the Euroasian badger, but I hear it also refers to a raccoon), and the English word "zigzag".
Massuguma: Massugu (Straight, direct, etc.), Araiguma (Mainly refers to the Euroasian badger, but I hear it also refers to a raccooon).
Kemusso: ?? Kemushi (Caterpillar), and the Italian word "rosso", which means "red".
Karasalis: ? Kara (Shell), and the English word "chrysalis".
Agehunt: ???? Agehachou (Swallowtail butterfly), and the English word "hunt".
Mayuld: Mayu (Cocoon). Palette doesn't mention, but I think it may also be based off the English word "shield".
Dokucale: ? Doku (Poison), and the vegetable "cale", a type of cabbage.
Hassboh: ? Hasu (Lotus), ??*? Boushi (Hat), ?? Bouzu (Buddhist priest). Palette doesn't mention it, but I think the "bouzu" part specifically refers to the "teruteru bouzu", which are little dolls people hang outside their windows in hopes of keeping rain away. Considering Hassboh is strengthened by rain in the games, it would make sense to be associated with rain.
Hasubrero: ? Hasu (Lotus), and the Mexican hat "sombrero".
Runpappa: ?????? Runrun kibun (A humming mood), ??? Happa (Leaf), Unpappa (Japanese children's song), and the dance style "rumba".
Taneboh: ? Tane (Seed), ?? Bouzu (Buddhist priest), and the English word "ball" (pronounced "bouru" in Japanese).
Konohana: Konohanazakura (A type of cherry blossom), ??? Konoha (Foliage), ? Hana (Nose), ? Hana (Flower)
Dirteng: ?? Tengu (A type of long-nosed goblin of Japanese mythology), Tengudake (Amanita pantherina, or panther cap, a species of mushroom), "Daa!" (A cry made by pro-wrestler Antonio Inoki), and the English word "dark".
Subame: Tsubame (Swallow), ?*?? Subayai (Quick, agile, etc.), Suwarou (Japanese way of saying the English word "swallow"), and suzume (sparrow). I think Palette went a bit nuts with associating Subame with every little thing that starts with the letter "su", when "tsubame" and "subayai" look like they could've easily sufficed for name origins.
Ohsubame: ??? Ookii (Large), Tsubame (Swallow), ?*?? Subayai (Quick, agile, etc.), Suwarou (Japanese way of saying the English word "swallow"), and suzume (sparrow). I think Palette went a bit nuts with associating Subame (and in essence, Ohsubame) with every little thing that starts with the letter "su", when "ookii", "tsubame", and "subayai" look like they could've easily sufficed for name origins.
Camome: Kamome (Seagull), and the English word "cat" (pronounced "kyatto" in Japanese). It's worth noting that "umineko" (which translates to "sea cat") is the Japanese name for the black-tailed gull. This is likely why Camome was given a partial cat basis (notice the ears on top of its head).
Pelipper: Based off the bird "pelican", and the English word "upper".
Ralts: Palette says that ?? "raru" (I don't know how to properly romanize that) is a word for "relieving emotions". If anyone knows about this word, and perhaps whatever language it's from, help would be appreciated.
Kirlia: Based off of "kirlian photography", a special type of photography that supposedly captures the aura that a person or thing emmits.
Sirnight: Based off the English words "sir", "knight", and "night".
Ametama: Amenbo (Pond skater), ? Tama (Ball), ? Ame (Rain), ?? Amedama (Hard candy).
Amemoth: Amenbo (Pond skater), ? Ame (Rain), and the English word "moth". Palette also mentions ????? Mousu koudo (Moh's hardness scale), but given how frail Amemoth is, I seriously doubt that.
Kinococo: Kinoko (Mushroom), ?*?? Kodomo (Child).
Kinogassa: ?*??? Kinoko kasa (Mushroom cap).
Namakero: ?*?? Namakero (A form of "namakeru", which means "to neglect").
Yarukimono: ??? Yaruki (Vigorous), ?*?? Namakemono (Lazy person), and Namakemono (Sloth, the animal). Palette doesn't mention it, but "mono" isn't part of the word namakemono. "Mono" actually means "thing", so namakemono is literally "lazy thing", and "Yarukimono" should mean "vigorous thing".
Kekking: ?*? Kekkin (Absence from work), and the English word "king".
Tutinin: ? Tsuchi (Earth, soil, etc.), ?? Ninja.
Tekkanin: ?? Tekka (Ironwork), ??? Tekkamen (Iron mask), ?? Ninja.
Nukenin: ??? Nukegara (Shedding skin), ??? Nukenin (To reveal; this is a violation of ninja law), ?? Ninja.
Gonyonyo: Gonyo (Speaking voice).
Dogohmb: ?? Dogou (Angry roar, bellow, etc.), ?? Gouon (Booming sound), and the English words "doom" and "dome" (as in a baseball stadium, which are usually pretty loud and have loud-speakers and such).
Bakuong: ?? Bakuou (Bombing sound), and the English word "king".
Makunoshita: ?? Makushita (Under curtains, like in a play), and putting "no" in the middle, if I'm reading Palette right, is something that sumo wrestlers commonly do when they use a stage name.
Hariteyama: ??? Harite (Extending hands), ? Yama (Mountain). If I'm reading Palette right, "yama" is commonly used by sumo wrestlers that have a stage name.
Ruriri: ?*? Ruri (Lapis lazuli).
Nosepass: Based off the English words "nose", "nozzle", "compass", and "north".
Eneco: ?? Ieneko (I might be reading the first kanji wrong, but nontheless, it means "house cat"), ?*?? Koneko (Kitten), and the English word "energy".
Enekororo: ?? Ieneko (I might be reading the first kanji wrong, but nontheless, it means "house cat"), ?*?? Koneko (Kitten), ???? Nekorogaru (Rolling in one's sleep), Enokorogusa (Foxtail grass), and the English word "energy".
Sabonea: Saboten (Cactus), and "columnea", a type of plant from the American tropics.
Noctus: ?? Noku (To step back, to get out of the way, etc.), and the English words "nocturnal" and "cactus".
Tyltto: Based off of "Chiruchiru to Michiru" (Chiruchiru and Michiru), which, according to Palette's description, are two heroes mentioned in a lucky bluebird's song. Further info on this would be appreciative.
Tyltalis: Based off of "Chiruchiru to Michiru" (Chiruchiru and Michiru), which, according to Palette's description, are two heroes mentioned in a lucky bluebird's song. Also, Palette has "??*???????". Pronounced "(Shiin+a) risu", translated "(consonant+a) risu)". I don't know what the hell that is, but "risu" is the end of Tyltalis's name when written in Japanese. Further info on both of these would be appreciative.
Zangoose: ? Zan (To behead), and the animal "mongoose".
Habunake: Based off of "habu", a type of pit viper found in the Ryukyu islands south of Japan, and the English word "snake".
Lunatone: Based off of "luna", the Spanish word for moon, and the English word "stone".
Solrock: Based off of "sol", the Spanish word for sun, and the English word "rock".
Dojorch: Dojou (Loach), the English word "catch", and some thing called ??? "katchi". I don't know how to properly romanize that, but Palette's description says it's a "fishnet antiseptic"(?). Any info would be appreciative.
Namazun: Namazu (Catfish).
Heigani: Heikegani (A species of crab with a human face pattern on its back. I tried looking up the English name, but from what I've seen, it seems as though both languages use the same name. It's worth noting that it's considered proper to throw these crabs back rather than eat them when caught, for it's believed they're the reincarnations of warriors, which may explain why Heigani's usually portrayed to be very strong physically), Amerika Zarigani (Translates to "American crayfish", though we name it the "red swamp crayfish". It's known by another Japanese name, apparently: ??? "Beigani", which translates to "rice crab"), ? Hei (Wall), ? Hei (Soldier), Kani (Crab).
Shizariger: Zarigani (Crayfish), Shizaru (Some form of retreating), and the English word "scissors".
Yajilon: Yajirobee (Balancing toy).
Nendoll: ?? Nendo (Clay), ??? Nejiru (To pray in silence), and the English word "doll".
Lilyla: Umiyuri (Sea lily, a prehistoric sea creature), and the English word "lily".
Yuradle: ?? Yuurei (Spirit), ?????? Yuraideiru (To sway), Yuri (Lily), and the English words "aid", "druid", and "cradle".
Anopth: Based off of "triops" (another name for the shield shrimp) and "anomalocaris" (a giant, prehistoric crustacean).
Armaldo: Based off the English words "armor" and "armed".
Hinbass: ?? Hinjaku (Poor, meagre, etc.), ?? Hinsou (Speedy-looking, thin, lean, etc.), and the English word "bass".
Milokaross: OK, Palette mentions two foreign things that I don't quite know the romanization of, and I tried looking them up to no avail, so please correct me if any of my spellings or info is incorrect. Based off of "milo", a Spanish art of pursuing beauty, and "karos", the Greek word for beauty.
Powalen: ??? Kawaru (To change), Powaan (Sound effect for things like water and transformation), and the English word "power" (and though it's said in Japanese as "pawaa", Palette does specify that the "po" came from the English spelling of the word).
Kakureon: ?*?? Kakureru (To hide), and "chameleon".
Kagebouzu: ? Kage (Shadow), ?? Bouzu (Buddhist priest), ??? Kageboushi (Silhouette), and Teruteru bouzu (A paper doll hung outside windows in hopes of making rain subside).
Jupetta: Based off of "juppet", a term for a wooden puppet. Correct me if the Romanization's wrong.
Yomawaru: ??? Yoru Mawaru (Night revolving. Ghosts are believed to loiter about at night in a circular pattern).
Samayouru: ??? Samayou (To wander), ? Yoru (Night).
Tropius: Based off the English words "tropical fruits".
Chirean: Based off of "chiriin", the Japanese sound effect for wind chimes.
Absol: ??? Abunai (Dangerous), and the English word "absolute". Osoru (to fear)
Sohnano: Based off of the phrase "sou na no?", which would translate to "is that so?"
Yukiwarashi: ?? Yukiwarashi (Snow child).
Onigohri: ? Oni (A type of ogre in Japanese mythology), ? Koori (Ice).
Tamazarashi: ? Tama (Ball, sphere, etc.), Azarashi (Seal). Palette says it might also be named after "Tama-chan", the nickname for a famous seal that swam up the Tamagawa River on August 7, 2002.
Todoggler: Todo (Steller's sea lion), and the English words "juggler" and "grand".
Todoseruga: Todo (Stellar's sea lion), the animal "gazelle", and Palette thinks it might also be named after "Ao no Kishi Beruzeruga" (Blue Knight Beruzeruga, which seems to be some kind of mecha franchise from what I could find).
Pearlulu: Based off the English word "pearl".
Huntail: ?? Hanten (Speck, fleck, etc.), and the English words "hunting" and "tail".
Sakurabyss: Haridashiebisu (A species of fish, I could only find the scientific name, Aulotrachichthys prosthemius), ???? Sakurabai (don't know an English nor scientific name, all I know is it translates to "Sakura shellfish"), Sakuraebi (Sakura shrimp), and the English word "discus". I know Sakurabyss ends with an "s" (or "su" in Japanese) like "discus", but other than that, I hardly see a relation. I really get the feeling Palette may've screwed up on Sakurabyss's name origins and mistake it for Lovecus's entry when they were finishing writing it. That may be why Palette neglected to mention the English word "abyss".
Glanth: If they're gonna go with that Romanization, they really should have it be "G-lanth", at the very least. Anyway, based off of ??? jii-san (grandfather), and the living fossil fish "coelacanth".
Lovecus: Based off the English words "love" and "discus".
Tatsubay: ? Tatsu (Fifth sign of the Chinese zodiac, the dragon), Tatsu (Dragon), ? Hei (Soldier), and the English word "bay".
Komoruu: ?*? Komoru (To seclude oneself, to confide in, etc.).
Bohmander: ?? Bouman (Outburst), Bou (Japanese sound effect for burning), "Bowman's capsule", and the English word "salamander".
Dumbber: ?*??? Ganbaru (To do one's best), and the English word "dumbbell".
Metang: Based off the English words "metal", "fang", and "king". Tang - measurement
Metagross: Based off the English words "metal" and "cross".
Regirock: Based off the English words "legend", "rock", and "legible". latin for “King”
Regice: Based off the English words "legend", "ice", and "legible".
Registeel: Based off the English words "legend", "steel", and "legible".
Latias: Based off of "Atlantis", "Critias" (one of Plato's dialogues that mention Atlantis), "Stratios" (a figure in Greek mythology), "Latinus" or "Latinos" (another figure in Greek mythology), and "Latium" (an area in Italy where you can find the capital, Rome). Latin word "Latito" which means hidden (I think there's another one with a similar context) and the suffix "-os" implies masculinity. Latias on the other hand has the suffix "-as" implying feminism.
Latios: Based off of "Atlantis", "Timaeus" (one of Plato's dialogues that mention Atlantis. Note that unlike Latias with Critias, the end doesn't seem to resemble Latios's name. However, if we again look at the Japanese writing, we'd see ????? "Ratiosu" and ?????? "Timaiosu"), "Stratios" (a figure in Greek mythology), "Latinus" or "Latinos" (another figure in Greek mythology), and "Latium" (an area in Italy where you can find the capital, Rome).
Kyogre: ? Kai (Sea), ?? Ou-sama (King), ? Ga (Oneself), and the English word "ogre".
Groudon: Based off the English words "ground" and "don".
Rayquaza: ?? Rekkuu (Violent sky.... you may've seen it commonly translated in the 2nd AG movie's title as "Space fissure"), ?? Ouza (Throne), ? Zan (Behead).
Jirachi: Based off the English words "arch", "brooch", and "July" (the same month that the Tanabata festival takes place), as well as the Russian word "zhehlati", which means to wish.
Deoxys: Based off of "Deoxyribonucleic Acid", or more commonly known by its abbreviations "DNA".

4th Generation
Usohachi - 'Uso' means lie, and 'Hachi' means a pot. Usohachi may also be playing on the phrase 'Usohappyaku', which means a series of lies
Manene - 'Mane' means to imitate
Manyula - it's basically Nyula (Sneasel) with a prefix 'Ma' which means evil
Gonbe - it mentions some sort of soldier/guardian which name has a similar sound to Gonbe, but from what I see, it's just Kabigon (Snorlax) plus Bebii (baby)
Buizeru - 'Bui' is synonymous to 'V' in Japanese, and it might be indicating its V-shaped tail. 'Zeru' is possibly from the word 'Uiizeru' (Weasel), seeing how it's based off a weasel/otter. Bouy + Weasel
Tamanta - 'Ta' means ball, so it's just a ball-shaped Mantain (Mantine)
Perappu - 'Pera' might be playing on 'Parrot', and it may also be from the phrase 'Berabera' which means to speak incessantly (like a parrot would do). For 'Rappu', I'm not sure but it may just mean 'rap music'
Naetoru: nae (sprout/seedling) + turtle -kthleen
Hikozaru: hi (fire) + saru (monkey); the ko could mean child, or hiko could be the shortening of hinoko (spark). I think it's the latter, but I'm not sure. -kthleen
Pochama: splash water; dabble in water; + plump; chubby
Mukkuru:
Bippa: Surprise/Amazement (considering its abilities and that small thing attacking bigger things than its self, I think it fits) + Beaver(?)
Pachirisu: pachipachi (clapping sound) + risu (squirrel) -kthleen
Lucario: Reverse of "Oracle" -Meowth346
Dorapion: dora (dragon)+Scorpion?
Cherimu: cherry (<_<) -kthleen
Elekiburu: electric + _____
Subomi: tsubomi (bud) -kthleen
Rozureido: Rose + lei?
Korobooshi:
Korinku: Ko (child) + ____
Pinpuku: some form of 'pink'?
Tatetopusu: tate (shield) + [protocera]tops -kthleen
Zugaidosu: Skull/cranium + ...
Minomucchi: minomushi (bagworm) -kthleen
Masukippa:
Diaruga:
Parukia:
Manafi:

Last edited:

Kthleen

Wayfaring stranger
Wow, that was quick. o_O

Well, my contributions:

Naetoru/Naetle = nae (sprout/seedling) + turtle
Hikozaru = hi (fire) + saru (monkey); the ko could mean child, or hiko could be the shortening of hinoko (spark). I think it's the latter, but I'm not sure.
Usohachi = uso (false) + hachi (pot)
Manene = mane (imitation)
Buizeru/Bouysel = bouy + weasel
Tamanta = tama (ball) + manta
Pachirisu = pachipachi (clapping sound) + risu (squirrel)
Cherimu/Cherrym = cherry (<_<)
Subomii = tsubomi (bud)
Tatetopusu/Tatetops = tate (shield) + [protocera]tops
Minomucchi = minomushi (bagworm)

~Ero Oyagi~

Kireihana: Kirei (Pretty), ? Hana (Flower)

Just to say, yes it does mean that. I don't know why the ? is there. And btw, technically it doesn't mean "pretty flower" (that would be kireina hana). Just the word for pretty and the word for flower as it is there. That's the only one I know; my Japanese isn't great. And I know that this post was pretty minor :)

Umbreon Rider

Tolkien fan 4 eva
where is burrukai(umbreon0 pls i LOVE umbreon tell me!

Kotochan

My only shiny <3
Hikozaru = hi (fire) + saru (monkey); the ko could mean child, or hiko could be the shortening of hinoko (spark). I think it's the latter, but I'm not sure.
)

I think it is 'Ko' as in small since Hikozaru is the first evolution and it is a small fire monkey. Besides, if you shorten a word in Japanese, it usually means something completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.