• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Japanese Poll for Ash's Favourite Companion

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashmax

This was a weird poll. Dawn should be higher. I can't believe that Tracey outranked Bonnie and Iris. I also can't believe that no one pointed out that they forgot to include Max. Max really is the most forgettable main character in the anime.

Well, In the top 10 poll of "What is your favorite Pokemon movie?" has only M01-M11 (because rank 10 has the same score). It is pretty wried that the Pokémon Movie since M12 has not been voted. And the poll about "What is your favorite Ash's Pokemon?", 7 out of 10 come from OS Series

P.S. Sorry for my grammer if it is not correct.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Well I expected the top 2 to be Brock and Serena, so no surprises there. However, beyond that has made me quite surprised such as seeing Misty and May ranked higher than Dawn, and even Tracy ranked higher than Iris. I seriously thought it was only majority of the western audience that might have disliked Iris, but it seems she's pretty unpopular amongst the Japanese crowd as well.

Lol and Max not even in the list (no surprises there, should have never even been in the cast).

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The bro code between Ash and Brock is unrivaled. Clemont surely had slightly more appeal than Cilan because they were almost the same age and thus their broness was better(?).

LOL Iris. If only we knew the exact reasons why her and Bonnie scored so low.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Everyone loling at Iris but I don't see Max anywhere???

pwahahaha Max, favourite?

Spyro39

I'm going to be honest here. Brock, Serena, and Misty may be ranked high while Bonnie and Iris ranked low and Max didn't even crack the top 10, but 851 people participating in this poll seems like a very low sample, even if it was exclusive to fans in Japan. I feel that if it included more people, especially in the age demographic of 10-19, then maybe these characters would've ranked differently. I mean do you really think grown-ups at the age of 20-29 represent the whole anime fanbase?

Last edited:

Cat's Eye Draco

Oh, my bad. My memories of Johto are vague atm.

No worries; I had to double check myself to be sure. :)

I can't believe that Tracey outranked Bonnie and Iris. I also can't believe that no one pointed out that they forgot to include Max. Max really is the most forgettable main character in the anime.

To be fair, though, Bonnie had a somewhat more substantial role as a companion than Max did. She was the one who primarily befriended/bonded with Squishy, which had a major impact on the events of the series's climax, whereas Max, though he had his share of focus episodes (and a movie) that provided some bits of character development here and there, never really did anything that had any bearing on future events.

SinnohEevee

How much % do grown-ups represent among the entire anime's fan base?
I don't think they matter much. M20 shows how we grown-ups are a small part of the anime fandom.
So I doubt the poll is any representative for the anime's fan base.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
LOL at Iris.

I am not surprised at the results.

Serena is recent and Brock was around for four regions, plenty of time to build up a fan base.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
1)Serena- She cared for and admired Ash the most, so no questions here.

2)Brock- Easily the most reliable, useful and trustworthy companion, there's some reason he stayed on for 4 generations.

3)May and Dawn- The best written and handled Pokegirls, with a huge depth in their goals, which included a quest, just like Ash's Gym battles.

Thats what I think about Ash's best companions. And I want Serena to come back.

Last edited:

Kein

AKA Silktree
I'm going to be honest here. Brock, Serena, and Misty may be ranked high while Bonnie and Iris ranked low and Max didn't even crack the top 10, but 851 people participating in this poll seems like a very low sample, even if it was exclusive to fans in Japan. I feel that if it included more people, especially in the age demographic of 10-19, then maybe these characters would've ranked differently. I mean do you really think grown-ups at the age of 20-29 represent the whole anime fanbase?
40% of the voters were under 20, and that is hardly a negligible amount. Let's not forget that someone was 10 when DP started would be over 20 now.

The poll should be targeted at people who are familiar with all the series, or otherwise their votes would be uninformed. So the majority being over 20 is ideal, and 851 is not a small sample size. How many Japanese people are familiar with nearly 20 years of the anime's history? A million seems like a generous estimate, and in that case, 851 voters should yield a margin of error around 3%-4% (at a 95% confidence level). There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Most of you dismiss the poll just because it tells a different story than what you'd like to believe.

Halolady

walking on eggshells
Jeez...I expected Dawn to rank higher. (I remember her ranking number 1 on another Japanese poll made a few years back).

Also, why is Iris ranking so low? I mean, I didn't expect her to make the top 3 or anything, but I did expect her to at least beat out Tracey. Is she really that unpopular?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I wonder where the SM companions would rank. I expect maybe Lillie and Mallow to be near the top because of Lillie's role in the games and because Mallow appears in most of the episodes so far.

40% of the voters were under 20, and that is hardly a negligible amount. Let's not forget that someone was 10 when DP started would be over 20 now.

The poll should be targeted at people who are familiar with all the series, or otherwise their votes would be uninformed. So the majority being over 20 is ideal, and 851 is not a small sample size. How many Japanese people are familiar with nearly 20 years of the anime's history? A million seems like a generous estimate, and in that case, 851 voters should yield a margin of error around 3%-4% (at a 95% confidence level). There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Most of you dismiss the poll just because it tells a different story than what you'd like to believe.

The problem is, do those people over 20 have the rose-tinted glasses on or are they looking as someone who favours their series based on quality rather than time period? Also, could you please enlighten us on how 851 is a generous sample of ONE MILLION PEOPLE? I don't want to sound like I'm disappointed with the results and want them to be changed due to bias (tbh I'd probably say Brock was my favourite too with Dawn and Clemont just behind), but I can't really see the logic in your argument here.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Also, could you please enlighten us on how 851 is a generous sample of ONE MILLION PEOPLE? I don't want to sound like I'm disappointed with the results and want them to be changed due to bias (tbh I'd probably say Brock was my favourite too with Dawn and Clemont just behind), but I can't really see the logic in your argument here.

Is modern American education really this poor at teaching how polling works? Do you think large political polls that survey an entire population's opinion asks hundreds of thousands of people or something?

Go Google "sample size".

Janovy

Banned
Also, why is Iris ranking so low? I mean, I didn't expect her to make the top 3 or anything, but I did expect her to at least beat out Tracey. Is she really that unpopular?
She is a person of color and she is "mean" and "disrespects" Ash. Also she's not the stereotypically cute female character this anime tends to go for.

I mean, there's a reason why Serena is right next to the top and Iris is at the bottom. :rolleyes:

crashmax

Pokémon the Movie :Giratina and the Sky Warrior has rank 53 on NHK's "Nippon Anime 100" project poll. It is the highest rank in Pokémon franchise but get the bottom rank in that poll. The result can change anytime if you change the target group.

P.S. Sorry for my grammer if it is not correct.

Last edited:

SinnohEevee

60% of the respondents are 20+ years old, so this poll isn't representative of the anime's fandom.
The opinions of older fans don't matter for this show anyways.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'll never understand why Serena ranked that high, though. She's the worst Pokegirl to me, and even Iris is just slightly better than her.

60% of the respondents are 20+ years old, so this poll isn't representative of the anime's fandom.
The opinions of older fans don't matter for this show anyways.

So then it means squat to bring up the older companions as they're most likely strangers to the newer generation.

SinnohEevee

So then it means squat to bring up the older companions as they're most likely strangers to the newer generation.

Unfortunately, yes.
Pokemon doesn't need the older fans, they can still do well without them. Pokemon is too popular to need to care about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.