• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Japanese Poll for Ash's Favourite Companion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, yes.
Pokemon doesn't need the older fans, they can still do well without them. Pokemon is too popular to need to care about them.

Um. I'm sorry, but what in the everloving f**k? How much sense does that make? They're a group of people who enjoy the franchise, thus the creators should consider them too.

SinnohEevee

Um. I'm sorry, but what in the everloving f**k? How much sense does that make? They're a group of people who enjoy the franchise, thus the creators should consider them too.

M20 shows they don't need to care about us.
Add to the that the lack of continuity of this show.

Last edited:

Spyro39

Add to that the lack of continuity of this show.

There may have been a lack of continuity in the anime from the two most recent series, but this poll involved all of Ash's traveling companions. That means the creators acknowledge the past even if the anime doesn't.

Add to the that the lack of continuity of this show.

Is this... is this the Misty and Brock thing again? Somebody save me.

Looking at what's going on, they're putting more consideration to OS than any other season into Movie 20. The start of it being a reanimation of episode 1, the setting being Kanto, Ash wearing his OS clothing and half of Ash's mostly confirmed team members being Pokemon from OS (Pikachu, Butterfree and Charizard) are all valid arguments. Because a few OCs own Pokemon from later generations and the fact that the fandom's precious Misty and Brock are absent does not mean in the slightest that they're ignoring their older fans - if anything, they're the ones getting more appeal.

Heekful

I wonder where the SM companions would rank. I expect maybe Lillie and Mallow to be near the top because of Lillie's role in the games and because Mallow appears in most of the episodes so far.

The SM "companions" were technically in the poll, there was a last option which allowed the user to write another character than the ones already listed.

I'll never understand why Serena ranked that high, though. She's the worst Pokegirl to me, and even Iris is just slightly better than her..

Because your opinion is not everyone's opinion I guess ? People like you need to understand that their opinions are not a fact.
For example , I know it's a big unpopular opinion on this forum but I don't like Dawn. I know that a lot of people like her and why people might like her, but unlike you I don't need to scream in every posts I make "hey I hate Dawn" or hate on her everytime a thread talks about her, everyone's free to like what they want. If you don't like Serena , that's fine but it doesn't mean that the Japanese think the same as you.

Janovy

Banned
Idols are super popular in Japan, and Serena is essentially a Pokemon equivalent of an idol. I'm shocked she's not at the top tbh.

Red and Blue

Nice to see that Brock is still well loved despite his absence since DP. I'm surprised Misty ranked above May and Dawn though.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Idols are super popular in Japan, and Serena is essentially a Pokemon equivalent of an idol. I'm shocked she's not at the top tbh.

The options were for 3 people to travel with Ash so I'm assuming lots of people voted for him as 2nd or 3rd options.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Because your opinion is not everyone's opinion I guess ? People like you need to understand that their opinions are not a fact.
For example , I know it's a big unpopular opinion on this forum but I don't like Dawn. I know that a lot of people like her and why people might like her, but unlike you I don't need to scream in every posts I make "hey I hate Dawn" or hate on her everytime a thread talks about her, everyone's free to like what they want. If you don't like Serena , that's fine but it doesn't mean that the Japanese think the same as you.

Goodness gracious, that was my honest opinion that didn't mean to quickly set someone off like this. Geez.

Janovy

Banned
Because your opinion is not everyone's opinion I guess ?
Triggered much? lmao

As you said, his opinion is not everyone's opinion, everyone has a different opinion, so why did you feel the need to aggressively defend Serena?

Your opinion is not everyone's opinion.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Also, why is Iris ranking so low? I mean, I didn't expect her to make the top 3 or anything, but I did expect her to at least beat out Tracey. Is she really that unpopular?

Well Iris is generally disliked around here, so I guess I can't be too surprised that she's also unpopular in this Japanese poll. I would've thought that her owning a popular Pokemon like Dragonite would've made her rank higher, but I guess it wasn't a factor that the voters took into consideration. ^^;

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Well Iris is generally disliked around here, so I guess I can't be too surprised that she's also unpopular in this Japanese poll. I would've thought that her owning a popular Pokemon like Dragonite would've made her rank higher, but I guess it wasn't a factor that the voters took into consideration. ^^;

A lot of times the Japanese fandom reacts differently to the Western fandom (there's a Western fandom for this?). Like how tsunderes are beloved there but hated over here.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Unfortunately as it's been pointed out there aren't that many POC in Japan so that could be why Iris was not very liked add to it an arrogant personality and a sassy mouth and well.... but I'll avoid the whole race topic since it's it seems it's illegal and taboo here. I did however expect her to surpass Tracey

MasterTobias

She is a person of color and she is "mean" and "disrespects" Ash. Also she's not the stereotypically cute female character this anime tends to go for.

I mean, there's a reason why Serena is right next to the top and Iris is at the bottom. :rolleyes:

Thats it you found the reasons why.No way someone could not like Iris just because he/she does not like her because of an opinion or something trivial like that.
I am glad you are always around to reveal the truth behind the conspiracies of why people dislike her.There is no way people would dislike her because they do not like her character or anything like that.

Vipsoccermaster

Yeah, it's just a poll, so it won't do anything. Iris being last was expected, because her "You're such a kid!" and "What a kid!" phrases towards Ash really damaged her reputation, of which I can also add on to the previous posters (MasterTobias and Janovy).

Psychotic

NotLikeThis
1000 respondents is small but not terrible in so far as you don't draw the wrong conclusion.

One thing to note is the question "Who would you like to see Ash travel with again?" is not "Who was your favorite traveling companion?", I could see some people liking Dawn/Iris/Misty more than Serena but not necessarily want them to come back.

Who conducted this poll?

Everything12

The poll was conducted by the Japanese site AnimeAnime, also I have doubts that the reason every gave is the reason she was last because she was a Japanese site and the reasons you gave are the Western audiences reasons.

Janovy

Banned
Thats it you found the reasons why.No way someone could not like Iris just because he/she does not like her because of an opinion or something trivial like that.
I am glad you are always around to reveal the truth behind the conspiracies of why people dislike her.There is no way people would dislike her because they do not like her character or anything like that.
I've seen enough Iris comments to able to form a legitimate theory on why people dislike her.

Fact: most people dislike her because of the way she treats Ash. Those same people then decide to find ways to crap on Iris because they dislike that, so they come up with BS arguments for why she's the worst character ever, when she's one of the better written characters in this series.

Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.