• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

(Japanese) Role Playing Game + Fighting?

Mega Heroes

I'm gonna Brawl!
Hi there.
I had a discussion with some friends of mine about: "are RPGs with a Fighting genre mode (Fighting game like Street Fighter, Blazblu, Tales of VS or Draglade) possible and if so, are those two genres combined together a very good combination?". They said no, because they said it won't fit together. I myself think it is possible and would be a good combination, because more recent Fighting games feature story mode and some RPGs use a "Fighting game-ish Action" Battle System that you could see in games like Tales of Series and Summon Night GBA.
But I am asking your opinions about this, if its possible or good or bad? And If some of you know if there are games like that, could you reference some of those games please?

Zazie

So 1991
I believe the Tobal series is the cosest you get. It at least has a dungeoun crawling element if nothing esle. The first one is for PS1 and I hear it isn't to terribly expensive and the second one was Japan only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobal

Also a lot of Capcom's PS1 fighters have a mode where you can cusomize your character in am RPG like fashion. Street Fighter Alpha 3, Darkstalkers 3 and JoJo's Bizzare Adventure all have such a mode under different names (other games may have it too those are just the ones I know of).

There is also Guardian Heroes for Sega Saturn which is a beat em up with fighting game and rpg elements but the game is pretty pricy and it probably isn't what you had in mind.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Can you please specify? Do you mean a fighting game with RPG characteristics, or a RPG game where battles are like fighting games?

Mega Heroes

I'm gonna Brawl!
I believe the Tobal series is the cosest you get. It at least has a dungeoun crawling element if nothing esle. The first one is for PS1 and I hear it isn't to terribly expensive and the second one was Japan only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobal

Also a lot of Capcom's PS1 fighters have a mode where you can cusomize your character in am RPG like fashion. Street Fighter Alpha 3, Darkstalkers 3 and JoJo's Bizzare Adventure all have such a mode under different names (other games may have it too those are just the ones I know of).

There is also Guardian Heroes for Sega Saturn which is a beat em up with fighting game and rpg elements but the game is pretty pricy and it probably isn't what you had in mind.

Does BlazeBlue also fit in those game list? But what I also party mean is... You are in a (J)RPG Adventure and beyond that large RPG story with its battles and stuff, there is a Fighting mode. Something like it. Is this combination idea; innovative and original or just plain idiotic and useless?

Can you please specify? Do you mean a fighting game with RPG characteristics, or a RPG game where battles are like fighting games?

ummm.. lets see... Fighting games with RPG characteristiscs are thousands of them (same goes with platformer games with RPG elements; Castlevania and stuff)... Noo.. I mean more RPGs with a Battle system that is similiar to the 2D Fighting games (I have the strong feeling that Tales of Series isn't the only one to use this kind of system) and I mean RPGs with an Arcade mode as a sort of 2P+ mode or some sort of Bonus (replayability) OR a Fighting game that has a Story Mode that works like an RPG (with overworlds and towns and a story).

Last edited:

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I'm pretty sure there are JRPGs with fighting game-esque mini games.

That good enough?

Mega Heroes

I'm gonna Brawl!
I'm pretty sure there are JRPGs with fighting game-esque mini games.

That good enough?

Seriously, I never noticed that. But I rather want to know if the concept/idea of the whole RPG with Fighting 2D Battle System is still fresh and usable and stuff and If there are real hybrids between Fighting and RPG (where you can see in both genres together, true noticable characteristics and not only the standard notice points like leveling up or HP). I mean, Super Paper Mario is an RPG Platformer Action Hybrid game. If that is possible and well received, wouldn't a RPG with a Fighting mode where you can play all the characters and even more with your friends and stuff be also very innovative or well received?

Waldorf

ungrateful
Aren't you basically talking about an action-RPG with a multiplayer component? The 2D Tales games, the Super Robot Wars series and Namco x Capcom (Japan only) may be what you're talking about, although to my knowledge those lack a multiplayer mode.

And BlazBlue is not an RPG with fighting game characteristics. It's a fighting game that has a somewhat large story mode... for a fighting game.

Last edited:

Surfing_Pikachu

Juggernaut_Nomad-Trooper

Flying Gym leader
The Tales style fighting system, aka the LMBS, (Liner Motion Battle System) is copyrighted. So don't expect to see to many games like it.

Also, I think Tales of Graces looks like it could be very close to fighting game combat.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Also, I think Tales of Graces looks like it could be very close to fighting game combat.

Same here. The way the system seems to work reminds me of fighting games based off of animés. It still looks interesting though.

lutdulpre

Mega Heroes

I'm gonna Brawl!
Aren't you basically talking about an action-RPG with a multiplayer component? The 2D Tales games, the Super Robot Wars series and Namco x Capcom (Japan only) may be what you're talking about, although to my knowledge those lack a multiplayer mode.

And BlazBlue is not an RPG with fighting game characteristics. It's a fighting game that has a somewhat large story mode... for a fighting game.

I kinda mean that. Sorry about BlazBlue :(, my damn mistake. I'll try not to talk any bull**** anymore.

The Tales style fighting system, aka the LMBS, (Liner Motion Battle System) is copyrighted. So don't expect to see to many games like it.

They seriously copyrighted the LMBS? Darn! But wait, games like: Star Ocean, Eternal Sonata and Summon Night: Swordcraft Story have also a similiar Battle System. And those games are made by Tri-Cresendo, Tri-Ace and Atlus. I guess, people can make RPGs with a similiar Battle System like the Tales of Series, but they have to call it first of all 'Real Time 2D/3D Battle' style and give it some changes to not make it truely like the Tales of series. There are quiet some Real Time RPGs out there like; .Hack//Quarantine.
I rather think Tales of Hearts has the Fighting combat.

Okay, I now finally found the great example what I mean: the game Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time is an JRPG right? with a Real Time BS like the Tales of Series. But its Director's Cut (that we have here and in the USA) has a VS Mode option (like in Fighting games). And that is something you don't see very often. So, what are your opinions about a JRPG with a Versus Mode as something extra?