• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jellicent - Cursed Body or Water Absorb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarbleZone

All lies and jest
Simple question really. I'm by no means a veteran of competitive battling, so sorry if a consensus has been reached by now. What ability do you prefer on Jellicent, or which one is more widely used?

Ilan

water absorb it gives recovery + immunity to one of the most used types of the game-water

Water Absorb makes it easy to switch into Water moves. Oh wait, it already resists them. I prefer Cursed Body, as it can disable a Choice-locked Pokemon forcing it to switch out.

Water Absorb lets Jellicent switch in on Specs Politoed and makes it immune to annoying Scald Burns. Its the better ability overall but Cursed Body can be really annoying sometimes.

Cursed Body can be really fun against a myriad of Pokemon. There are quite a few Pokemon, like Conkeldurr, who may rely on a single coverage move to nail Pokemon like Jellicent. Once that's gone, Jellicent pretty much does whatever it wants. Water Absorb is still more useful most of the time for switching into random Rain-boosted Water attacks, which can still put a major hurt on Jellicent despite its resistance.

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
My personal preference is Water Absorb, although I do see where Cursed Body has its uses. Cursed Body has limited my ability to sweep before, and sometimes, I don't see why certain opponents I've raced have Cursed Body for stopping sweeps instead of Water Absorb to recover health.

Maybe Cursed Body will stop a Choiced Pokemon, but that depends on how lucky you get. That's why I prefer Water Absorb.

Eaglehawk

Banned
I personally would choose Damp over all of them

Out of all seriousness, Water Absorb has more usability than Cursed Body, as almost every Pokemon player, competitive or non-competitive knows that immunities to types are way better than anything else (except for Guts Flareon, which is slightly better than Flash Fire Flareon).

Psycho Cut

It really depends on your team. If you're weak to water, then Water Absorb Jellicent is a great switch in, as it can obviously tank water attacks from anything. However, if your team has no problem with water, then Cursed Body can be used to screw over potential counters and provide set-up opportunities. Personally, I'd always go with Water Absorb.

Lady Umbreon

Cursed Body needs the claustrophobic environment of Singles, where a disabled move can force a switch or even end a battle. In Doubles & Triples your opponent has more move options and losing one move isn't likely to break them. I say when in doubt go for the immunity.

Cursed Body needs the claustrophobic environment of Singles, where a disabled move can force a switch or even end a battle. In Doubles & Triples your opponent has more move options and losing one move isn't likely to break them. I say when in doubt go for the immunity.

Not to mention that in Doubles and Triples, Surf + Water Absorb can help keep Jellicent healthy, which is really useful if you're using Water Spout.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
The consistently better ability is water absorb. But I have seen cursed bOdy have some nice niches. In a defensive core with ferrothirn it works nice to rack up possible entry hazard and stalling damage. The core also doesn't have a problem with water attacks and doesn't miss water absorb that much.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Water Absorb is so cool. I can switch in easy, especially with Rain so common. I can restore health, which in turn would power up Water Spout.

But Cursed Body seems cool. I just don't like the unreliability of it. It has been used effectively against me though, so I don't knock it as bad. Just unreliable, since it can go a whole battle and not go off at all if the odds are really against you.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
If Jellicent had Storm Drain, now, that would be interesting. On more offensive Jellicent (lol) Storm Drain would always be the choice, but what about on stall? Go for the Water immunity or the annoying Cursed Body?

Unfortunatly for conversation it doesn't. Water Absorb is always better unless you want to troll. Seriously, I did a FWG core with SubSeedMin/Heatran/Jellicent, and the double immunities were heaven to me, and hell to the opponent. Jellicent just didn't die. That's why Water Absorb is better. Not for the immunity, but for the HP recovery.

I prefer Cursed Body because it allows the opponent to lose a move that would have posed a danger to the jellicent.

Most experienced battlers would also expect water absorb once they see jellicent on the team.

Gamefreak

Water Absorb is better but Cursed Body is useful in some niche situations. I use specially defensive jelllicent with Taunt to beat CM Reuniclus on a stall team.

dildadonz

I never use water absorb sure the water immunity is useful but hey you got recover and water attacks aren't very effective but on the other hand cursed body is so damn useful when the opponent is either choiced or just has one neutral/super effective move. I know it doesn't always work but it works sometimes.

water absorb gives you immunity while cursed body stops 1 move it just isnt as good it is good but it isnt as good

Status
Not open for further replies.