• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jessie VS James! A Battlefield of Love and Truth!! (1074)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
1074.jpg

Jessie VS James! A Battlefield of Love and Truth!!

With four of the knockout stage matches having been completed, the final four continue. The matches are Sophocles' Vikavolt gainst Mina's Ribombee, Kiawe's Marowak VS Acerola's Gengar, Jessies Wobbuffet VS James' Mareanie and Lillie's Vulpix VS Gladion's Umbreon. With Lillie and Gladion being a match between siblings, Lillie will go for her Z-move. Will it work out? And with longtime friends Jessie & James facing off, how will they plan to continue? Who will get through to the Top 8?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

TheScentedApple

A much better episode than last week, the pacing seemed a bit better this week. Gengar vs Marowak was on par with other league battles from like Sinnoh or Hoenn which was nice but the episode referenced in the title was a bit lacklustre. Gladion didnt use a Z-Move which was odd but it meant that he could show he was a lot stronger than Lillie. Is this the first real battle Kiawe has been in that he doesnt use his z-move?

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
I'm rather down on this episode.

It had a LOT of reused footage and had difficulty establishing tension. Even more than last week, it feels like for the "non-battlers" the character drama fills in for battle quality. Lillie knew she was outmatched and battled as well as possible, so while a nice character moment it wasn't an entertaining battle.

The episode also felt weird,as if there were two different directors between halves.

Sophocles v. Mina felt like an XY battle without the 3D camera work, lots of visual action and not a lot of event/reaction cuts. It was technically impressive, however, I couldn't get excited about it because there was no sense of momentum swing: Vikavolt and Ribombee fly around, Vikavolt tanks some hits, manages to grip Ribombee and destroy her.

Acerola v. Kiawe was much more fun but sabotaged by the reused animation. It also had very little strategy and amounted to spamming attacks. It's strange that both battles could be so different, yet neither was very satisfying.

I don't like next week's matchups either. It looks like Ash is going to get two gag fights in a row, which causes a problem if he faces Guzma in the semis, since it won't feel like he's earned the right to battle the Team Skull Boss.

If it's Guzma - Gladion as the semi/finals match, not only is that predictable, Ash will probably lose to Gladion, making it the lamest league I can remember. Gladion and Ash essentially got byes and don't face the best competition in the league.

Sonnas

I'm rather down on this episode.

It had a LOT of reused footage and had difficulty establishing tension. Even more than last week, it feels like for the "non-battlers" the character drama fills in for battle quality. Lillie knew she was outmatched and battled as well as possible, so while a nice character moment it wasn't an entertaining battle.

The episode also felt weird,as if there were two different directors between halves.

Sophocles v. Mina felt like an XY battle without the 3D camera work, lots of visual action and not a lot of event/reaction cuts. It was technically impressive, however, I couldn't get excited about it because there was no sense of momentum swing: Vikavolt and Ribombee fly around, Vikavolt tanks some hits, manages to grip Ribombee and destroy her.

Acerola v. Kiawe was much more fun but sabotaged by the reused animation. It also had very little strategy and amounted to spamming attacks. It's strange that both battles could be so different, yet neither was very satisfying.

I don't like next week's matchups either. It looks like Ash is going to get two gag fights in a row, which causes a problem if he faces Guzma in the semis, since it won't feel like he's earned the right to battle the Team Skull Boss.

If it's Guzma - Gladion as the semi/finals match, not only is that predictable, Ash will probably lose to Gladion, making it the lamest league I can remember. Gladion and Ash essentially got byes and don't face the best competition in the league.
What about the Lillie v Gladion and Jessie v James battles? Also isn’t next week a break episode since two weeks from now is his battle with Hau.

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
Honestly feels kind of petty to not evolve Maranie here, tbh. If it gets shelved after this saga at least that would be a memorable moment for it, and if not it would be a cool secondary for James moving forward. Just felt like such a perfect moment for it to evolve, especially since the previous Toxapek we saw was shiny.

Would have preferred the matchups be switched to Kiawe vs. Lana and Soph vs. Guzma too, whoever fights Guzma was doomed to lose anyway but Kiawe is on easy street now to the top 4. At least the other way around Kiawe could have overcome a type disadvantage and we could have had Guzma confront the bug z move. In fact those matchups seem so obvious in retrospect that it's kind of baffling it didn't go that way.

Only question now though is whether Gladion or Kiawe will be sacrificed to Guzma in the top 4, most likely Kiawe I'd imagine.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Personally, as the only female contestant remaining, Lana should've advanced at least to Top 4. Guzma match-up here was early; I'd prefer Kiawe-Lana vs. Guzma-Sophocles, since we know from the beginning Lillie and Sophocles are among the ones to take the short end of the stick.

Mina could've won, so could Acerola. Lillie vs. Gladion felt so rushed. Mareanie should've evolved. Here is hoping at least the next rounds are not 1v1, given the rest has at least 2 Pokémon.

Also based on match-ups, it's almost a guarantee Ash, Gladion, Guzma and Kiawe made it to semis.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
What about the Lillie v Gladion and Jessie v James battles? Also isn’t next week a break episode since two weeks from now is his battle with Hau.

Battle with Hau begins next week, according to the preview.

Lillie v. Gladion was faithful to game mechanics, but Lillie was severely outmatched and was crushed.

Jessie v. James was an uneventful gag battle. It went really over the top with A Midsummer Night's Dream's Wedding March started to play.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Kiawe is on easy street now to the top 4. At least the other way around Kiawe could have overcome a type disadvantage and we could have had Guzma confront the bug z move. In fact those matchups seem so obvious in retrospect that it's kind of baffling it didn't go that way.

I didn't catch if the next round is doubles or not, but if it is, Sophocles has the tools to beat Kiawe:

-Vikavolt Discharge + Togedemaru's Lightning Rod
-Vikavolt String Shot (affects both opponents in doubles)
-Marowak does not have Lightning Rod (evidenced from the Kanto episode)

Certainly, Sophocles is at a massive experience, type disadvantage, but a path to victory is there, and should be. For a quarterfinals match a curbstomp isn't what people want to see.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I am at vacation and video streaming sites are slow, so I checked out pictures and I saw Ash vs Hau and Guzma vs Lana, who is battling in next two? Kiawe vs Sophocles? And Gladion vs James?

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I am at vacation and video streaming sites are slow, so I checked out pictures and I saw Ash vs Hau and Guzma vs Lana, who is battling in next two? Kiawe vs Sophocles? And Gladion vs James?
When you have freaking Kiawe vs Acerola get 3x more screentime than Lillie vs Gladion (a battle between two very important characters of the series), then not really sure what you can really expect from this so called "League" afterwards.

The writers are just honestly doing their best to show how badly they can actually screw up in this League. ;)

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Yay!! James won!! Everyone thought that Jessie would’ve beat him but James and Marieane came through. Good for him, about time he crushed Jessie’s delusions of grandeur and got something out of this.

I only cared about Lillie vs Gladion even though we all knew that Lillie was going to lose. It was a good battle for Lillie while Gladion knew he wasn’t going to lose to his baby sister. Even her Z Move was ineffective to Umbreon.

I thought the last episode was better than this one. I couldn’t pay attention much and had to rewind who won the battle of Acerola vs Kiawe. I thought Acerola would’ve won, and would’ve liked her to but hey, Kiawe may make it to the semi rounds. Kind of funny how Kiawe’s advancing before Hau and I feel like eventually, Kiawe will have to battle Guzma since we know Ash is going to battle Gladion after Hau.

Ok episode as a whole. The battles were really boring and didn’t have any tension.

Sonnas

So I’m guessing these felt like Round 1’s sloppy seconds battles? Or were there ones that were good?

wellwellwells

Kiawe was good. Marowak is a great Pokémon, wish we’d seen more of him. They did reused A LOT of footage though, and something that I really hate is those full colored backgrounds. Gosh I miss the 3D camera of XY battles.
Sophocles was gifted a win because #boys.
Jessie vs. James was ****.
Lillie vs. Gladion was ok, Lillie knew she didn’t stand a chance yet she braved through. Gladion won with a super effective Iron Tail (however Shiron didn’t faint and they didn’t even shown her “bruised” or damaged. It was just sent flying back to Lillie’s arms).

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Well then.

Mareanie is still cute, but man it should have evolved this episode. What is the point of TRio even being in the league when there were so many other characters they could have chosen to move forward who might be able to show more pokemon?

Such a bad choice, imo, for Soph to win over Mina. Just such a bad choice and I somehow doubt that Soph has a bigger fan base then Mina and Vikavolt honestly does NOT deserve to be in the top 8. Not only is Mina considered the last of the trial captains (ingame) but her Ribombee came off very confident too, and seemed to have the poffin throwing skills to match.

What was also the point of Gladion vs Lillie? Such a lame battle where Lillie basically shows that she did nothing to get there except take some last shot moves on pokemon while hiding, and then just gets wrecked by Gladion.

Kiawe and Acerola was just a meh battle. Nothing too special, but super nice that Kiawe doesn't win with a z-move. IN fact it was very nice that he didn't use one whatsoever. They just could have used more than like 2 attacks each... or sorry, 3.

After two episodes into this league, I'll be over it if they don't evolve Rowlett or add in some kind of spice, any kind of spice to make this more legit and not feel so badly thought-out.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Ok episode as a whole. The battles were really boring and didn’t have any tension.

Well....a League episode can be hardly be called "ok" if you are admitting that the battles were really boring and don't have any tension. League episodes are basically supposed to be all about battles, aren't they? ;)